• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Links to the Past - A P:M Link video & discussion thread

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
:link2: Links to the Past - A P:M Link Video Discussion and Critique Thread
[P:M 3.0]
BryE
FlashingFire
Gimpyfish62

[Demo 2.6]
FlashingFire
Hylian
vs DSF(MK)
vs Strong Bad(DK/Wario)
Sarix

[Demo 2.5]
Hylian
vs Vro(Lucas/C.Falcon/Ike)
vs Kirk(Bowser)

[Sanity's_Theif]
[BryE]
[Oro!?!]
[J666]
[Beorn4200]

[SnatoWhato]
[Demo 2.1]

[ChaserTech]
[Eli]

[Rubyiris]

[monkeyx4]
[Bubbaking]
[Lank]
[SaiXeven]
[AeroLink The SoulMaster]

Let the discussion begin!

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Good stuff, I'm going to sticky this.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I can see what you mean Hylian, DK looks broken against Link...

@TC

I lived in Edison for 4 years!!!
Know where Bernice St. is?

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Tbh I don't think dk is broken. D: vs link

:phone:

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I like the way AeroLink the SoulMaster plays. (I also think Aerosol the LinkMaster when I read his name.)

I would suggest him to do DACIT more instead of always GT (it looks like he does GT). Also, more wavedash out of shield, so he won't be as ensnared.

I haven't watched every video.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
I can see what you mean Hylian, DK looks broken against Link...

@TC

I lived in Edison for 4 years!!!
Know where Bernice St. is?
@BRLINK88: Yeah! It's off Inman!

DK is mad broken against Link. One grab = 60% combo or a kill at about 90%. And its extremely easy for DK to get grabs vs anyone....

EDIT: I'm gonna have to take a hiatus for a while. Can a mod take over this thread? Sorry guys :(

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
@BRLINK88: Yeah! It's off Inman!

DK is mad broken against Link. One grab = 60% combo or a kill at about 90%. And its extremely easy for DK to get grabs vs anyone....

EDIT: I'm gonna have to take a hiatus for a while. Can a mod take over this thread? Sorry guys :(
Yessir, I lived there from '90-July of '94.
Went to James Madison Primary for Kindergarten then moved to Houston, and became the Indian kid in an elementary school that was 97% white....

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Hylian, you should post that video of new link AGT techniques. I would, but I can't seem to find your youtube page.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian, you should post that video of new link AGT techniques. I would, but I can't seem to find your youtube page.
It's in the OP isn't it?

I might make a new one as I've come up with more tricks since then lol. Though some of my old tricks don't work anymore with the rang change :(.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I should be getting some matches online in a couple of days. I randomly won a P:M tournament down here, so I want to get more into it.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Matches between me and Blade again, mainly against his Wolf. Not sure what we were doing in the first match though. We kinda derped and kept SDing.

Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 1
Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 2
Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 3
Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 4
Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 5
Project M Demo 2.5b: Chaser (Link) vs Blade (Wolf) 6

I picked up some stuff from other Link players and started applying it to my Link metagame. Mainly Zdrop bomb tricks actually. I've also started to use short hopped, non fastalled Fair as an defense option while retreating since it's a fairly good move. And if spaced properly, you might actually be able to apply pressure against your opponent. The problem is spacing the Fair so that both hits connect properly when your opponent starts to shield.

I'm also experimenting with footstooling too. Hopefully I'll have matches uploaded with some footstooling stuff.

Critiques are welcome also.

Despite the fact that I'm supposed to play slightly campy against spacies/abuse up b gimps/etc. I wanted to work on my CQC and bomb placement.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I definitely enjoyed.
I can tell just by watching you how much fluidity I've lost, likely from character hopping.
I played Sethlon in some friendlies a while back, for the most part I was forced to play at his tempo.
Yeah it's always great watching people play others than you have played before, you have a better idea of what to learn from the videos and how good they are. I character hop all the time actually, I play almost every character in the game. I try to stick to Link for tournaments thought just because I enjoy him the most.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Session against Temp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7eHr6PjJs&list=PLCnIJNkvyokyRg0Mga8f0LsYrvk2eCcCq&index=11

I didn't think the lag on my plasma was bad, I have to completely re-learn timing on some stuff, it sucks
I decided to critique a few matches that I picked out (basically the first three matches). The ones that I didn't really critique are basically your really solid matches. lol

1st Match

- You were fishing for a lot of grabs which left you open a lot. Against really good players, this can be hell since Link can get punished really hard. I also noticed that you fished for Dthrow into Dair throws really frequently. Instead, just go

- Not much bomb play going on. But good Boomerang uses. Although you should be short hop more while using projectiles due to Link's ass mobility. Generally speaking, I feel like your projectile placement could use some work. Looking at these matches, you normally seem to throw your boomerang directly at your opponent along with arrows. Try using your projectiles to shut off approach options rather than just randomly throwing out flying hitboxes at them.

2nd Match

- Good combo at 5:56 :p
- Try to up B on stage less since it decreases the chances for you to bomb jump. Not only that, but constantly using Up B can make you predictable and you can get punished as easily as you'll get punished by missing grabs.

3rd Match

- Ivy has more range than Link in CQC, so whenever you play against more Ivy players, be careful on going in on Ivy and space effectively.
- Use more bombs in this matchup since it can be kinda troublesome when Link even manages to get in. If I recall correctly, Link's bombs go through Ivy's Razor Leaf. (Either that or they bounce up from the Razor Leaf and cancel them out, not sure.). But his other projectiles gets cancelled by them completely.

That's all the advice I can think of though. Long story short, don't grab so much, work on projectile placement, and try not to up b a lot since it leaves you open. Those are the main things I see that can be changed about your Link.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I decided to critique a few matches that I picked out (basically the first three matches). The ones that I didn't really critique are basically your really solid matches. lol

1st Match

- You were fishing for a lot of grabs which left you open a lot. Against really good players, this can be hell since Link can get punished really hard. I also noticed that you fished for Dthrow into Dair throws really frequently. Instead, just go

- Not much bomb play going on. But good Boomerang uses. Although you should be short hop more while using projectiles due to Link's *** mobility. Generally speaking, I feel like your projectile placement could use some work. Looking at these matches, you normally seem to throw your boomerang directly at your opponent along with arrows. Try using your projectiles to shut off approach options rather than just randomly throwing out flying hitboxes at them.

2nd Match

- Good combo at 5:56 :p
- Try to up B on stage less since it decreases the chances for you to bomb jump. Not only that, but constantly using Up B can make you predictable and you can get punished as easily as you'll get punished by missing grabs.

3rd Match

- Ivy has more range than Link in CQC, so whenever you play against more Ivy players, be careful on going in on Ivy and space effectively.
- Use more bombs in this matchup since it can be kinda troublesome when Link even manages to get in. If I recall correctly, Link's bombs go through Ivy's Razor Leaf. (Either that or they bounce up from the Razor Leaf and cancel them out, not sure.). But his other projectiles gets cancelled by them completely.

That's all the advice I can think of though. Long story short, don't grab so much, work on projectile placement, and try not to up b a lot since it leaves you open. Those are the main things I see that can be changed about your Link.

Thanks for the critique, I'll try to remember that stuff, got new videos for you to analyze if you want lol

This session is against JOE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=own2wXFzmhY&list=PLCnIJNkvyokyRg0Mga8f0LsYrvk2eCcCq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxRmXpaPVUA&list=PLCnIJNkvyokyRg0Mga8f0LsYrvk2eCcCq

There's a part 3 but I don't play Link

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Thanks for the critique, I'll try to remember that stuff, got new videos for you to analyze if you want lol
No problem. :] I know I'm not the best with critiquing matches but I don't mind when I do analyze vids. I just wish that people did the same with mine. lol

Your newer videos of Link shows a lot of improvement. I can see some of your bad habits you stopped doing, mainly grabbing a lot. Although, I feel as if your opponent doesn't provide much of a challenge for you. This is kind of essential if you want to have critique videos to figure out what mistakes you are making.

However I do see some stuff that you can work on, generally speaking.

• First and foremost, I see you go into your shield a lot when people approach you. (Started noticing it more in your 3rd match)You really don't want to do this against space animals because they eat up your shields pretty easily. Try spotdodging sometime whenever you are positive that your opponent is about to attack you rather than just shielding their attacks. Having your shield up a lot is just an invitation for your opponent to grab you or apply shield pressure. As for rolling, I normally roll whenever I want to reset a certain situation that I'm in. I'm not saying that shielding is completely bad though, just don't shield really often.
  • I also notice that you play a very "Textbook" Link. (Meaning you play by the book in terms of what Link is supposed to do in certain situations but you don't seem to experiment with other options with him as well.) This isn't really much of a bad thing since in your matches, you were doing really well. But when you start coming across other players, you want to be varied so you won't be predictable when you play them. If you look at the videos in the original topic (and within the thread), you'll notice how every Link has something different about them.
  • Your projectile placement has improved since your last videos that you've posted. I have noticed that you're pretty stationary whenever you use your projectiles though. Try short hopping more whenever you'll pulling out bombs and arrows while moving if you're finding yourself being rushed down by characters.I do like that you use SH Boomerang while retreating. That's really good. :]
I hope this advice helps out. :p I still have a lot of bad habits I need to work on as well.[/quote]

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Going into my shield is prolly my main issue using Link against spacies, particularly Falco.
I played against the best Falco in Texas recently in PM, my Ike did reasonably well, but he basically had his way with my Link.
When I was able to start a combo, I capitalized, but otherwise way too much shield pressure. I did definitely surprise him though with some of the new tricks Link has.
It's definitely not as bad as it was in Melee, but still an uphill battle. IMO at least better than Falco/TL.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Going into my shield is prolly my main issue using Link against spacies, particularly Falco.
I played against the best Falco in Texas recently in PM, my Ike did reasonably well, but he basically had his way with my Link.
When I was able to start a combo, I capitalized, but otherwise way too much shield pressure. I did definitely surprise him though with some of the new tricks Link has.
It's definitely not as bad as it was in Melee, but still an uphill battle. IMO at least better than Falco/TL.
Yeah facing against Falco can be a problem mainly due to his lazers. I really hate how he can control that much space with them as well as being able to pressure the opponent so well close range. The one problems with him is that he has a horrible recovery and he's essentially combo food.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Link can kill Falco VERY quickly for that reason, the problem is getting him into that compromising position.
It's difficult to start combos on him at lower percents. His uthrow is useless since he can't airgrab, and the tech chase can be difficult thanks to Falco's fast tech. Best chance is if you can land a usmash, all 3 hits should connect and will lead into something else.
I think the most satisfying kill I've gotten was when I bthrew a Falco off the edge at zero and immediately up-B'd. He was expecting a uthrow or dthrow and just jumped into the semi-spike.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Link can kill Falco VERY quickly for that reason, the problem is getting him into that compromising position.
It's difficult to start combos on him at lower percents. His uthrow is useless since he can't airgrab, and the tech chase can be difficult thanks to Falco's fast tech. Best chance is if you can land a usmash, all 3 hits should connect and will lead into something else.
I think the most satisfying kill I've gotten was when I bthrew a Falco off the edge at zero and immediately up-B'd. He was expecting a uthrow or dthrow and just jumped into the semi-spike.
Actually you can uthrow > jab > uthrow at lower percentages if the opponent doesn't expect it. They don't have the chance to tech until a certain percent, I believe.
Plus you can still grab characters while they are in the air. You just can't grab with the hookshot portion any more, only his hand. You probably could even pull off a guaranteed uthrow to up b at lower percentages. I'm not entirely sure since I haven't tried it out myself.

And using upsmash against spacies isn't that great of an idea after an upthrow. Half of the time when I go for an upsmash at lower percentages, it normally leads to the opponent getting stuck at the lower portion of the upsmash and puts them at a good position to punish Link. (I've tried it a bunch of times and a lot of people have DI'd out of it)

Top Bottom