• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
soon as i get vids recorded, i was gon use it. that for link and then i was gon use dont get caught by jeezy for my ICs back wen i mained the climbers

cjugs

Smash Ace
look at sklers perfect spacing. I was wondering why you didn't dthrow upb yedi untilll late you had several opportunity's but i figured you just didn't wanna make him feel to much shame of being massacred by a link so you made it close. Did i hear right? skler has a beard now? Who's commentating the skler vs hax? btw that video is proof to me that falcon counters link. Howed you do against kage?

cjugs

Smash Ace
i still am my tourny doesn't start till saturday which you should come to. i may have to race you because that song will make a combo video the greatest.

Skler

Smash Master
I was going to thunder's combo him but I didn't notice his backwards DI so my grab missed :(

Edit: @Cjugs- I don't like using upB as an attack very often. It's too easily DIed and missing with it can really screw you up. With Falco I feel like it's mostly overkill at the percents where it'll kill too, you're generally better off doing a uthrow -> fair or dair depending on his DI. As long as he's off stage he generally dies. I did mess my punishes up for a while though, ended up letting him live until 200.

Also my grab failed against that stupid ramp on the mountain section. That has never happened to me before, the hookshot generally climbs up it and grabs (guess I was a bit too close).

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya i must say i do a lot better wen i dont rely on using link's up-b to finish. if someone's at a high percent and rolls or misses an attack, they might get it in their lag, but i dont setup for it much anymore. skler that was actually a really good match vs alucard. i've never heard of him before, but he looked like he had a pretty good marth. he didnt kno how to edge guard link and fsmashed a lil too much. but u went to work on him

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't spam upb but the times when i do use it are definely oos when i know ill land it or dthrow on fast fallers at high percents. Didn't know you could upthrow dair fast fallers every time i ever upthrow anything on them they jump out it's stupid. I'll try it but other than upthrow dair i don't see a reason not to do it out of grabs. i loled when skler got pokemon stadiumed i prolly wouldn't have had i any doubt he was going to win. You didn't answer my question about the beard son. Again i laughed on the letting him live to 200 again i wouldn't have if i didn't know you were gonna win. Howed you do against Kage?

Skler

Smash Master
I had a beard, but I shaved it off for substitute teaching. I'm regrowing it now (it'll be back as a beard in maybe a week tops).

I ended up losing to Kage 2-1. I lost on Pokemon stadium (forgot to use arrows), won on pokemon stadium (probably because I hit him with an arrow) and then lost on Brinstar (again, no arrow). Fun games.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Wow i'm impressed Kages legit, you might telling me why to use arrows? or why you counterpicked PS? what subject you teach? Mind games 101? spacing 101?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Arrows are under used, they have hidden potential, you just have to see the opportunity when they can be used and surprise your opponent.

Skler

Smash Master
To be honest, I only used the arrow so I could use the joke of having to hit him with a light arrow to kill him. The irony was that I only won the game where I actually used the arrow.

It is really easy to hit a recovering Dorf with an arrow though, and semi charged arrows can combo into some things.

I CPed stadium because Dorf is good on Rainbow Cruise and small stages. I didn't want him to have the easy edgeguarding battlefield gives him and he had banned FD (which would have been great since he can't slide around on platforms then). Pokemon stadium was really my only choice. If I had remembered that Brinstar was legal I would have banned it but it slipped my mind.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
thought u said u could uthrow dair so how wuld u nair? well playing today (screw falco) the fast fallers, u have to hit uthrow dair around 80%- 105%, any higher n theres a good chance theyll di away.

skler i dont rlly have a good gannon in our group, how his match-up done? i'm pretty good at the comboes on him, but i dont kno how to defend against him. i kno he has an extremely large hit box, his meteor strike seems to creat a slight lag, so the cncle frame is a few more then anyone elses. sliq i think is the only good gannon ive played n all i remember bout him is he caught me in quite a few double dairs into a nair. his edge guards of uair n bair i kno are fierce. and "the fist"

Skler

Smash Master
Playing the Dorf is really weird. You end up spamming projectiles most of the match and trying to combo off of them. He tries to get inside your projectiles while still outspacing you the entire match. As far as combos go, Gannon isn't actually that easy to combo. Once he's at mid percents you can land quite a few hits on him, but at lower percents grab combos don't work and at higher percents all your moves send him too far to combo from. Fortunately if he's off the stage you get a bunch of free hits and can usually kill him. The only problem is he's so heavy you have trouble getting him off the stage until about 100%.

Gannon can't really combo Link well either since his moves are so **** strong, but his grab is something you must avoid. If you get grabbed you eat a tremendous amount of damage and then get sucker punched off the edge. He can edgeguard you fairly well too, just make sure you either throw a bomb or shoot an arrow to try and stop him from jumping out with the backfist.

Don't go air to air with him once you get to about 50 unless you're really confident in your spacing. Keep him away from you with all of your projectiles and stab him if he gets too close. Try and grab him when he lands if he's spamming fairs at grab range. Uthrow is decent at low percents since it puts him into a bad position and you won't combo off a dthrow anyways.

basically, be very careful and don't get grabbed if you want to win. Also throw a lot of bombs.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
iight iight. does gannon have a large grab box? i kno not to play the air game with him, his fair and uair havve huge boxes so even if my land, his prolly will to n ill suffer the most for it. bairs prolly wuldnt be too efficient either since his jab is so quick he'll prolly interrupt it right? wats the chances of juggling him wit utilts and uairs?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Grab combos don't work? i played a pretty good Ganon and it looked like i could bair to grab and i could upthrow to bair dash attack idk after that lol then i get *****. Because if you get a grab at like 70 a upthrow dair won't kill but that combo may kill idk just a theory. Idk what to do against Ganon get mad when all he does is fair to win i suppose, other than that throw stuff and try to land a fair then get under him. Does anyone like to fight against DK i played one who was pretty god but not real good now i'm gonna play a god DK and i'm not gonna lie we are nervous.

Skler

Smash Master
Up until about 20 or maybe even 30% Ganon can hit you out of your own dthrow before you can do anything. It's kind of silly.

He's really easy to juggle with utilts for a while, it's just hard to land a good combo move that isn't a grab on him.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
right. i've comboed gannon 0-death, but its not against very good gannons. ive been able to juggle gannon with uairs around 40-80%, but like u said skler, his jab is so quick that its easy for him to stun the fair u

cjugs

Smash Ace
Seems like i can just avoid his attacks by outspacing them... but if i run out of room on the stage than yeah that's a problem.
So the touny was today i didn't do very well i believe i beat almost everyone who wasn't a space animal. But this tounry didn't have a whole lot of real good people idk maybe it did. Oh yeah link sucks on PS against falcon i ***** a guy on battle field and yoshi's but lost like 5 times on PS i've learned i'm not good at this game so count me out for the link's beating good people.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
well perhaps u just need to learn to work PS out better. cuz i loss last night 1 match to a falcon that im better then on Yoshi's, then took him to PS n 3stocked him. PS is a lot better for spacing and projectiles where as yoshi' is good for in the face attacks

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya i can imagine. i havent really attended any tournies. only been to one. but i train with these two kids who have attended a lot of tournaments and between the two of them, i get plenty of experience facing falcos, foxs, falcons and marios. the way i see it, they are pretty good players and i can beat them, for the most, in those match-ups. so wen i do go to anothr good tourney, i can at least hold my own against even better falcos, foxs ect

cjugs

Smash Ace
I beat almost every fox and falco the only ones i lost to were zhu, and i he wasn't even trying, i lost to a fox who has written the only fox guide out there. other than that i beat every peach jigg luigi IC Doc pika falcon falco but keep in mind these were only friendlies i'm going to get some friendlies with rockcrock today so he might have some advice. I still don't like PS i don't feel like link can get around the stage well with the stage transformations falcon is way to fast and when it stays normal i don't think that there's enough space to beat him there. I'm sticking with battlefield YS and FOD against falcon. I'm not claiming link is bad but i'm not really that good but i did learn alot of stuff. number one being don't approach a marth when he is on the Edge :)

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya losing to zhu with link is like like picking falco and playin M2K. its not even fair or fun. so u think PS is bad cuz the stage is too big? link's slow approach is harder to recognize cuz he doesnt have to move far on YS and FoD. sounds like u did pretty well, u should record some more matches n throw em on so we can see

cjugs

Smash Ace
I've got some i'll try to see what actually got recorded then i will post a thread. Sadly i didn't get any recorded with rockcrock which it didn't matter because i got the rapest of all **** i've ever gotten lol. The only fox at the tourny i really lost to (that i played) was some short guy with long hair it was pretty scary. It just sucks living in the Midwest there are no tourny's. No i don't like PS against falcons it guess if the stage didn't change it wouldn't be so bad but when it does it seems like he is running circles around me and its tough to throw anything but maybe i'm just naturally bad there. I've been messing with the boomerang and how many different throws are there? I think Three> straight up and in-between and down i guess,

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
and u can also throw it behind n move to alter the trajectory. i'm still working on making sure i dont catch it cuz its lag time had cuz me to miss crucial finishers. not to mention, links bomb, its blast radius is quite big. ive been caught in it a few times now aftr hittin sumone n following in wit a nair

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
plus i wanna c how much better u are. i think ive only seen the one vid of u playin n that was vs the ICs n i think u were camping most of the time cuz u didnt kno how to approach them

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I've been using Link alot in Melee recently. He's such a fun character. I'm still not use to the buffering system in Melee.

Some of the other things I'm struggling with are:

Link's OOS options
Link's edgeguarding game
How are arrows used?

Help?

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
how well does link do in teams and does he have any good ways of saving his partner?
link is a great-teammate. he's an offensive support and a finisher and has a pretty good 2v1 match-up as long as he isnt gettn chaingrabbed. he's great for a fox or falco partner cuz their main counter-picks are marth, peach and jiggz, all of which link does well against. and hes great for helping recover with his bombs, rangs and bairs. not to mention, bcuz he has his hookshot, he can hold of from having to grab the ledge first.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Scrabe-link is prolly one of the best edge guarders (in my opinion). ur approach ull find out will rely ur own exp with the character ur guarding. but seeing that u play brawl, i can only help u on melee. so if u want help there, ask

cjugs

Smash Ace
HAHA Failure, yeah i hate when i do that or when i throw a rang to bomb to fail to link exploding feel like a noob. I don't understand your post explain it to me like i'm a 5 year old.

cjugs

Smash Ace
pacman i was asking about your post from while ago about the boomerand.
links best oos options are wave dashing most useful when you are hit with a projectile and wanna move or when you want to punish a fox/falco illusion you will see what i mean over time. nair is a really good and really fast if done well enough i think it's his fastest oos option. upsmash is good when chars are above behind you really useful against marth and falcon, and finally his trademark upb great move try to only use this when someone does a smash attack into your shield or something relatively laggy, same goes for grabs. upb is good when chars are not sweet spotting almost guaranteed kill ftilt is realllllllllllly good if timed right. Jumping our and nairing is a great option too those are the basics but you will learn as you play. Arrows are not used :( the only time i ever use arrows are when i already have a projectile out and i feel lucky or if i want to stop iceblocks ooooor when a character is trying to get onstage when i can't get there to ftilt i try and land an arrow and that takes a lot of practice Zodiac tried to say he can combo into arrows which i would have to say he is crazy don't tell him i said that tho.

Top Bottom