• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

cjugs

Smash Ace
isn't it sad when you have gotten to the point of being so lazy you don't care to do one more simple step? i'm even to lazy to hit the shift key to capitalize and sometimes when i have a mispell i don't even care to fix it or a tyop i just leave it or a long post i have to read? it feels like homework how did i ever get so lazy?

Skler

Smash Master

cjugs

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a clue on the hitbox for links dsmash because sometimes it hits then vertical to where i can't land a dair sometimes straight upto where i can.

Skler

Smash Master
There's a sweetspot right next to Link that sends people more vertically. It usually sends them at a slight angle away if they don't DI, the sweetspot is pretty much vertical if they don't DI.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
thos matches vs dr peepee n lozr were pretty **** good skler. seemed to me, like the number one problem u had was jus bad reads. when they did firebirds to get on the stage u misread n they'd get back. on the 2nd match 1:52 i feel like there was a good chance that u could've uair-uair him for a death and then at 2:30 i think u culdve easily waited another split second n dair. but thats just my opinion ur beasting us right

cjugs

Smash Ace
There's a sweetspot right next to Link that sends people more vertically. It usually sends them at a slight angle away if they don't DI, the sweetspot is pretty much vertical if they don't DI.
SOo it's like links arm? Im assuming you mean get as close as you can with the dsmash.

and u can also throw it behind n move to alter the trajectory. i'm still working on making sure i dont catch it cuz its lag time had cuz me to miss crucial finishers. not to mention, links bomb, its blast radius is quite big. ive been caught in it a few times now aftr hittin sumone n following in wit a nair
I don't understand this post sum it up in a simpler way with smaller words and pictures.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
simply that on its return to u, if u throw it behind, u shoot it upward by jumping bfo it returns or if u want it to come downwards jump and let it sink. it was rlly just a dumb reply to the fact u said theres only a couple ways to throw ur rang. and aftr every kill, it seems like skler celebrates by throwing his rang away from the enemy.

and wen ur rang returns to u and u catch it, it causes lag time that can be costly and there been times where i was just outside of a nair range, so i threw the bomb n got hit in its blast

cjugs

Smash Ace
jab cancels the lag keep that in mind grasshopper. other than downward i think it's only up straight and inbetween there's alot i don't understand about how the boomerang works if anyone finds links that has a boomerang or if someone explains it to me it's need to know information i want to know all about it.
Moving along let's talk fighting sheik, it's actually not so bad i hate the chain grabs but other than that it's not so bad no worse than spacies which is who i am use to playing against. For the life of me i cannot edge guard her though the only thing i have done it hold the ledge and guess if she comes on or not there has to be a better way to edgeguard her than that i can't get the ftilt to work which is why i have been thinking maybe YS is not a good place to take a sheik. Yeah i wish i could get some vids up honestly i don't play well against the rest of my crew but there's one guy who i always play reallllly well against not because he's bad hes the best in the crew i guess it's the pressure or something or how he can punish bad stuff but i always feel like i'm playing well against him hes good and so am i so it's alot of fun ill need to record those matches of me and him playing.

Skler

Smash Master
I actually try and throw my rang away from my opponent right as they're coming back from having lost a stock. They generally lose invincibility as the rang gets close and it can lead to a few extra hits.

I'm fairly obsessed with the returning boomerang though. I feel like it's necessary to control it to win against Link's hardest matchups.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
skler-i approve. i honestly feel that link's rang is the key to him winning. because it can interrupt combos and CG, i feel it create "randomness".

cjugs-yea i just got a sheik main in our crew and she's not that hard to fight, but theres a lot of gay **** about her. i'm really hating how easy it is for people to combo link. like we were playin and i caught her with a fair-jab-grab-dthrow-dsmash-bair-jab and wen i went to grab she ducked so i miss n the dtilt-ftilt-ftilt-dair-fair which didnt kill me but that 40% she added to me. seems to me, like she can CG and tilt combo well, but with the exception of her fair,uair n usmash, most of attacks dont do a lot of dmg. i feel like on Rainbow or Floats, link should always wen this match. her needles are a b****, causes me to not use bombs often (cuz the hylian shield will block on its own)

cjugs

Smash Ace
her combos are kinda weak and i can plant a dair easy but i can't edguard her for nothing i end up letting her live for forever and then i edgehog.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
it seem rather difficult especially wen she doesnt use a tag (which is part of her key). i think the best way is to stay on the edge till she lands, dont get off the edge untill u r 100% sure she is goin to land n then dair her. seems to be the only key. u can nair her right as she jumps to recover, but like samus, theres a good chance she can fair u wen u try. and also, make sure she doesnt fair u off the ledge either

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
right. sheik is deff the hardest to edge guard. but i feel like it kinda is neutral simply becuz link isnt the easiest to edge guard either. and i rlly feel like it comes down to who can read the other's approach fastest

cjugs

Smash Ace
needles help me recover lol but maybe the sheik i play isn't doing it right.
Speaking of edguarding what do you guys think is a good way to edge guard on YS i'm pretty comfortable with using ftilt so i have a hard time guarding there.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
needles are the best cuz u dont need to straighten out wen they hit u, if u airdodge to hook, wait to she if she hits u, cuz if she does u get another air dodge n then u can hook

cjugs-im recommending str8 from the edgehog to an attack. cuz of the slant, its hard hit attacks at the right angle n gettn to close to the edge increases ur chance of being hit. wen i have a few seconds, ive been working on jumping from the ledge to the platform, wavelanding off with a nair. which has rlly been helpin since my main match-up is a mario n if he capes i turn around n he gets booted to the face. falco is the other match-up i always have to do n he can just take a nair or dtilt up-b

cjugs

Smash Ace
dtilt knocks them up then i fair then with good DI they come back to the stage withought having to grab the ledge and playing link i need to be able to kill someone everytime they are offstage. no matter the percent.

Skler

Smash Master
Sheik's really easy to dair when she gets onto the stage. Her upB lags long enough that you can do it purely on reaction (unless shes very close to the stage when she does the upB, then she can get out of range and you're better off rolling up and either grabbing or dsmashing during her lag).

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
i feel if a falco can dtilt'd and fair'd on YS, then he must be at a high percent n that shouldnt happen. i dont think falco shuld ever be much higher then 120% on YS bfo he dead

cjugs

Smash Ace
i feel if a falco can dtilt'd and fair'd on YS, then he must be at a high percent n that shouldnt happen. i dont think falco shuld ever be much higher then 120% on YS bfo he dead
Sheik and falco yeah there's a good way to get some damage up but i'm intrested in killing them when they are on the ledge a dair will probably only kill at maybe 100% if that she could end up living alot longer. falco isn't my main problem it's mostly edguarding sheik and falcon doc IC because ftilt doesn't work i guess that's just a problem link faces.

Is there a place where you can get alot of frame data on link? Does anyone here jab to grab? it seems like it should work but idk links grab may not come out fast enough to make it work 100% of the time.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
since wen doesnt his semi-spike kill? ya i jab-grab. its hella important cuz like cant grab if someone is in the air or layin on the grab. the jab resets them n stands them in place so u can grab

cjugs

Smash Ace
since people hit y and don't worry about it and hit you during your upb lag not to mention good people can tech it. do you use a to jc grab or standard or what? because link has three hits so you have to time it right with z and idk if it can be timed perfectly because they may have plenty of time to jump or roll spotdodge or whatever.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
i always mix it up. the first time i use it in a match ill always double jab, then the next time ill jab grab cuz there is enough time for them to roll or jab themselves so it requires a lil mind game on ur half as to whether ur gonna double jab quick or only one jab

Skler

Smash Master
Jab grab doesn't work too well with Link, his jab is kind of slow/laggy. Dthrow -> jab -> grab is a hilarious combo though. Nobody expects jabs out of the dthrow!

Jab -> grab works for the thunder's combo though.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I see this done sometimes so it must work to a certain point. I'll see if i can get some of my friends to play around with it and see what we come up with.
I was under the impression that a thunder combo was waveshine to jab reset is it just jab reset?

Skler

Smash Master
It's just the jab reset to grab as far as I know. Regardless, Link's grab is really good at it. It can cover two options of the spanimals at once! Also Pichu's sad tech.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Link's jab is also really good at setting up edgeguards if he hits a Falco using his up B

but Im not sure if the same works as well against Fox

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
it all depends on what they do aftr the jab (dunno how u would jab an opponent on the ledge if there sweetspottin) cuz aftr the jab the may drift down n up-b or depending on their percent, air-dodge

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
it all depends on what they do aftr the jab (dunno how u would jab an opponent on the ledge if there sweetspottin) cuz aftr the jab the may drift down n up-b or depending on their percent, air-dodge

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
theres no reason a jab wuld help in an edge guard unless they dont sweetspot. in which case u just tell them to start sweetspottin

skler- do u kno how to ledge cancel aeriels? no1's told me about it n i just saw it done last night at a smashfest. its where u drop down the ledge, but bfo u fall u do an aeriel n it pulls u back up on the ledge? (dont laugh if im that much of a noob) this guy uair falcon twice without leaving the ground n then dair'd him within half a sec. if u blinked, u wuldnt have seen it. i kno it can be done with samus's missles, but idk aeirls too

cjugs

Smash Ace
theres no reason a jab wuld help in an edge guard unless they dont sweetspot. in which case u just tell them to start sweetspottin

skler- do u kno how to ledge cancel aeriels? no1's told me about it n i just saw it done last night at a smashfest. its where u drop down the ledge, but bfo u fall u do an aeriel n it pulls u back up on the ledge? (dont laugh if im that much of a noob) this guy uair falcon twice without leaving the ground n then dair'd him within half a sec. if u blinked, u wuldnt have seen it. i kno it can be done with samus's missles, but idk aeirls too
jab to rang to nair is a good edguard and works about the same as upb kills them if they don't sweetspot and it's a safer option because also they can tech it even if it hits. Is this a ? anyone can answer?
Platform canceling or drop canceling is when you drop through the platform and do an attack but you have to hit someone for this to work as far as i know, it only works because you hit them and it stops you then you can lcancel it but it has to be a fast move meaning a low amount of frames to come out. links nair is 4 frames i think so that works and his upair works to in fact germ vs mango at fod he ledge cancels his upair and in his video linkology he drop cancels his nair. It's not really that useful but it looks cool.
Again the steps are.
fall through platform nair or upair (fast move) hit someone then press L or R then look cool :)
Who did this guy play as? because i dunno if link can do this with all his moves he may be able to with his bair or dair but that would be relle hard or impossible

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
the nair is the most practical to platform cancel, plus you can combo into other things like fair or a dash attack

then theres the uair, but there are usually better options

i dont think that you could platform cancel his other aerials unless you were some tech wizard, but personally i love using a PC nair bcuz its faster than just dropping throught the platform

Skler

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure I'm the only Link who intentionally edge cancels as often as possible.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn7HPwIr4I

The dair I do near the end is only done because I know it'll get edge canceled. It'd be a pretty silly move to do otherwise. Almost any time you see me do a dair it's because it's going to hit, end before I hit the ground or get edge canceled. The times I do it and none of those things happen it's a massive mistake. Edge canceling is a really effective thing to do with the dair, if you push them off the platform with it you get a free hit since it stuns them and gives you no lag. I also like it with the uair, since you can go uair shieldstab -> edge cancel -> DJ uair for one of the sexiest combos alive.

Too bad edge canceling is super situational. I still love it.

Ohhhh, platform canceling. Yeah that's not too useful unless you're on FoD with lower platforms (4 frame attack, woooo!). It's also only possible with the nair if I remember correctly (since Link tucks his legs in or some crap like that).

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
no, u dont have to land the attack and u can do it wit his nair n uair. bigy was showing me it, hes a falcon main who prolly has the best link in our state. he grab falco at 20% on yoshi's. uair twice with the platform cncl n then dair'd him

huMps

Smash Ace
dair platform canceling I find to be super useful. No lag so when they shield, you dont get stomp, kneed. Just land close enough to the end of the platform so your momentum pulls you over the edge. same benefits as wavelanding off a surface, except you spend even less time grounded, and no pressing L/R.

cjugs

Smash Ace
i'de like to see that because i was told it was only possible if it made contact. Nair and upair yes bair and dair probably not unless you are amazing at games.

Top Bottom