• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Real Up-B Cancel

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Right, so I don't exactly know how I first figured this out, but I found a way for Link to use his Up-B using only the first half of the animation, but still having his hit-boxes come out.

The purpose of this is:
A) Mindgame
B) Its faster
C) Less lag

The basic idea is to try doing the Up-B slide off stage to grab the ledge, but DIing hard back after you go off, so you land back on the stage and stop the attack. I'm only explaining this so people dont think the video is to show the up-b ledge hog.

I do it about 6 times in the vid, you should notice when I do it because it just looks like Link does a little bounce, and stops the attack.

Hopefully one day I'll get AR and be able to show you exactly what's going on.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdwohLQKN3E

Tell me watchya'all think.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think this is new but I've been wanting to really look into it. I think it was in SDM's "Perfect Control" where he made Link do ledge cancelled B-ups over and over again really fast. lol

Also, now that I think about it a lot of b-ups have strange edge techs. Bowser, Yoshi, CF, Ganon, and others have things similar to this. Maybe I'm just crazy or naive though. :|

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Its not the spin edge hog, its the spin attack edgeguard, where the attack comes out, but the ending lag gets canceled. watch the vid again if u have to.

Bloody_Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Nice find but this would be to hard to do during a tourney match. You'll be a lil nervous so ur precision for a move like that would be off.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
This is true, it's not meant to be what link should do, although if your 100% with it go for it, its just to show what link COULD do. This also without AR so its definitely possible.

To do the ledge hog, just do a dash close to the edge, and up-b at the right time, pull bak a bit after u fall off, that should do it for u. May take a few tries.

Just puttin it out there, I dont even pretend to main Link, I was just messin around and yea. lol

I have a few other tricks im waiting to put on vid soon.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lol cool upb ledge cancel. it would be ultra useful if it wasnt just an edgeguard tho. nice find. ive found myself doing these sometimes on accident when trying to spin attack ledgehog lol. its great that u experiment with link even tho u dont main him

Link226

Smash Ace
You have to handle the landing lag of the up and B for that. Why not just use this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdfMwwn4UgQ

Forgot to record it, but you can also do a quick double jump and drop the bomb and then fastfall and up and B.

Just make sure you CC the bomb :)
do u DI to the edge or just dont do anything? Wanna elaborate on that? Im kinda interested.

O and to seibrik: Great discovery...props. I wanna see it in use tho...im gonna try. Too bad it doesnt semi-spike. **** would have been crazy.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
so what you do is go off the stage, then DI back on?

that would mean that game automatically says that if you land, not if you touch the gruond, during his up B, it is caancelled.

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
i think its a few years old and when u do it, it attacks like the UP B in the air. So i dont htink it will KO or stun anyone long enough to do much. Might make a nice looking combo if u link it into something else tho

@ce

Smash Apprentice
you'd have to link it into something reallly fast. assuming u already knew u were going to do it.
maybe if u just run and with the intent of doing it keep mashing up and b that way if u get it right ull hit them then immediately dot he real spin attack.... still seems too flashy tho.

nice find still, smash still has lil surprises.

Crash&Burn

Smash Apprentice
Seibrik, does the upB hit hard (standing), or is it just the weak hit (aerial) because if so i prefer the bomb cc.. Still a nice found tho...

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure its the weak hit sadly, but as stated, i can see it bein used for combos
I think there are too much lag before the Up B and since its only weak hits, the opponent can escapes easily.
Btw nice find.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Very Nice
I don't know how easy it would be to use in battle
but it could be used

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Great stuff. I thought for a sec it was just the spin hog, but this is something new to me. So similarly to the spin hog, it won't spike right? If so, that's a pity... Would be an incredibly impressive move to pull off when KOing opponents.

i_eat_fried_worms

Smash Cadet
I don't think this is new but I've been wanting to really look into it. I think it was in SDM's "Perfect Control" where he made Link do ledge cancelled B-ups over and over again really fast. lol

Also, now that I think about it a lot of b-ups have strange edge techs. Bowser, Yoshi, CF, Ganon, and others have things similar to this. Maybe I'm just crazy or naive though. :|
yeah, here's the link-http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8951480404621871932

captainlukey

Smash Ace
can you upload to google vids cause i cant watch it untill then but im definatly keen if you are

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
there really is no point to this technique.
i've known about it for a long time, and occasionally pull it off in battle..but like.....if you can hit them with UpB...they're DEAD..there is no point of "canceling the lag" lol.

on the other hand, i intentionally UpB-EdgeHog which works very nice.

Top Bottom