• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-up Thread: Ryu would like an answer to a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Zair gets me. TL's goes so low you can't slip under it but Link's might be easier to Dsmash or Fsmash when close because Link lowers his hurtbox for each of these smashes.
Our Zair is the only one that can beat bombs if spaced right. Boomerang cancels them to. Bombs are too laggy to ready for this MU. All of Link's standard attacks cancel arrows/boomerang if the standard hits and Link's hurtbox isn't hit. Nair/Bair are a good anti-range defense in the air. Link can be pulled or pushed off stage by the gale effect. If Link's spin attacking he'll be gimped.
Basically it's a Zair, shield/OoS counter, juggle and gimp the opponent with fast attacks contest.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I think this matchup is close to even. Probably no worse than 40/60.

... Seriously, though, if you anticipate Link dittos, practice your offstage game. If you're substantially better than your opponent in this regard, you can count on about a full stock advantage over your opponent each game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The better player will win more often but how well a Link knows how to play the ditto is important.

The main problem a lot of people have with dittos is the fact they require a completely different set of skills to win and remember. Some moves just suck against a copy that would normally be good against most of the cast.

For Link's case projectiles and Zair are very effective, whoever is better at camping, looking at you Kirinblaze, is going to win camping wars. It's better to force an approach than vice versa, if you do approach look for an opening or a pattern in the camping, if you can approaching will be much easier.

Spacing is key, know what outranges what. Uair>Dair for example, I'll make a list later but you get the general idea.

As Crow said Gimping is a very good thing to be able to do consistently. Gimping normally won't happen too often against good Link mains, however it still adds to the fact it can happen, even if they can recover they will eat % for trying to recover.

Stages really doesn't matter, unless your hoping to CP another character, just pick one your very comfortable with or one you think will hinder the other Link's playstyle.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I'm probably the worst player in existence when it comes to Link Dittos.

pulse131

Smash Ace
i ve recently played a dicent Link with my own at the last tourney, probably like 20 times. learned quite a bit about the MU. ill post more later

Gah777

Smash Lord
Somebody verify/refute what I say, because I don't know the link matchup that well, but...

Wolf's aerials are faster, but Link's are equal or greater in range (f-air, maybe). Using shine properly can be effective vs Links projectile game and bomb combos, while Blaster seems like it would be good against Link. Both characters are pretty heavy with repetitively low kill power, so both should expect to live to high percents, if not gimped. Both characters have a pretty bad recovery, but I think Wolf has a better recovery overall. In terms of gimping, I think that they might be equally good at gimping eachother. Link has his projectiles while Wolf has laser and shine.

60:40 Wolf's favor?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wolf doesnt really have low kill power, neither does link, difference is links kill moves are harder to land then wolfs, as for range of aerials, wolfs fair outranges marths, so I dont think link can outrange that, so one can assume wolf would **** link in the air (except zair is a great keep away tool)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah if spaced correctly Wolf's Fair beats Link's D-air. Also jab canceling Wolf is hard since he falls down so fast, he has time to punish you.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
A couple of Wolf mains bothered me into posting, so here we go.

I main Wolf, and I main Link. I do not, however, know the matchup. Lol.

Wolf has a gimping game that most Links have never faced before. Shine gives him invulnerability, and he can fall right through UpB to do it to Link. Having never mastered the technique myself, I assume it is somewhat situational; Link will probably need to be fairly low for this to work properly, and the distance and positioning from the stage also determines whether Wolf can do it as well. Against Link, he shouldn't struggle very much though. He's got plenty of other options as well, such as blaster *sigh*.

Bair is his key spacing tool. It comes out almost immediately (which is way better than Link's fair). It is extremely difficult to punish when used against shields, although Link may be able to grab him out of it (I doubt it, but it is possible). Trying to play Wolf in a horizontal, back-and-forth kind of style will only cater to his strengths in this MU. Try to keep it vertical, which is where Link can excel. FF nairs and bairs can be used to strike him and knock him back. Fair and uair are his best moves against that kind of spacing, and perhaps utilt if he is on the ground, but they probably won't be able to come out fast enough or be able to space it fast enough. Shine can counter this strategy if you try to come down right through him, although this probably won't be a very large concern.

Little known fact: Wolf has a pretty good DAC. Don't be caught off guard and get surprise KO'ed by it.

Use utilt, dsmash and usmash to pop Wolf up into the air to keep that vertical game going. Bomb works if you throw it straight down on top of him. Projectiles should be used sparingly; try to go aggro in this matchup.
Wolf's smashes are excellent spacers if he feels you're too close for comfort, so be wary of his dsmash and fsmash. Jab him a lot, jab cancels work decently too. Zair>grab is almost frame perfect, so do that a lot. A first-time Wolf can be dthrow CG'ed, which is soooo lulzy and worth it. Just run and quickly pivot grab his furry butt.
DI up to get out of fsmash. DI up out of dsmash so you don't get gimped. If you use dair a lot, you will get your miserable butt punished really hard.

I think this matchup is theoretically 65:35 Wolf or 70:30.

Purple

Hi guys!
-Read-

I think this matchup is theoretically 65:35 Wolf or 70:30.
Would you say that Link's projectile game is better than wolf's? Because if so it might not be as low as you're stating, just Link will in no way be able to beat wolf face to face (bair v fair). Link's recovery is in naturally bad.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
It's odd, I have alot of Wolf experience, but I myself still don't understand this matchup fully.

Against the pro Wolf, I get slaughtered, against other Wolf's they get slaughtered.

Laser's are a real pain. They mess up your Zair spacing, they make it hard to use Boomerang and get bombs out. But once you do get bombs, they eat through lasers. In fact spamming is quite hard in this matchup since his Laser is hard to deal with and occasionally Wolf's will reflect your projectiles back at you.

I guess the best thing to do against his laser spam is run the other direction and pull out a bomb, and instead of jumping over his lasers, try and power shield them.

Some common thing's you'll see from Wolf are, roll to Jab. When over 100 percent, they'll almost always do their get up attack since it's pretty much unpunishable. Back air spam, fakeouts with Back air.

Some things I fall for are, Back throw I try get to get back on to the stage but instantly I get an Fair in my face. Dthrow can be brutal if the throw doesn't let you hit the ground first. Lot's of fakeouts with Back air.

His jab is very good for punishing Spot dodging.

Wolf's Back air is just too amazing in this matchup. He can do like walls of pain with it against Link, and Link can't really do a thing against it, his Fair is too slow and Nair can't compete with the priority and range.

Also I mentioned this earlier but if spaced correctly Fair of Wolf's actually Beat's down air. WTFHAX.

Dsmash is brutal on Link. Not sure if whiplashing works well against it, I think it might. I'm not much of a whiplasher.

I think depending on the Spacing of Back air, you can't shield grab, but you can sheild grab it.

You can sorta gimp his Side B if you go out there, and Nair. It usually beat's it, unless you get hit with the Sweet spot.

Bomb Footstool Jab Lock works quite well in this matchup. I've pulled it off quite a number of times. Same with Boomerang Jab lock, since Wolf falls so fast when knocked down by the boomerang they usually can't react and tech it.

Don't take him to Yoshi's, it's actually his best stage. I'd say take him Pokemon Stadium 1, those ledges can screw him over, worse then they screw Link. But in general, I think you want stages that are big, so you can get away from his lasers, pull out a bomb and spam back at him. Perhaps platforms would help against the lasers, and doing Autocancelled Dair's off the them might be a way to deal with Back air spam.

Also watch out for scarring. That's when Wolf's use their Side B to go through the stage.

A cool combo if you can get the spacing is Zair into Up-tilt, work's on quite low percents and it puts you in a position to juggle him. He falls so fast though, so at early percents juggling him is hard and he probably falls fast enough to punish you.

Zair into Fsmash works quite well in this matchup.

Pressure him off stage with projectiles with Boomerang (must hit) and Arrows. Go for either Up air off stage (they usually recover high), Down airs off stage or try to Nair off stage.

A thing that a Wolf main told me was that when you jab cancel on Wolf, he falls so fast that he can punish you back. I noticed this when I kept going for jab cancels into Grab. I'm not sure how Jab cancelling into jab's might do. If that fails just go for the normal jab combo.

On low percents you want to focus on keeping him away, until Mid percents where you maybe able to juggle him.

Anyways I'm going with 60:40 - 65:35 in Wolf's favor. Anyways sorry I didn't really like order my wording, I kinda just talked from the top of my heard. :urg:

Also, do you post in the characters matchup thread asking them to discuss the matchups?

Purple

Hi guys!
Let's start the discussion by ignoring the things that you personally would have a problem with, and instead what link in general would have a problem handling against Wolf

Laser's are a real pain. They mess up your Zair spacing, they make it hard to use Boomerang and get bombs out. But once you do get bombs, they eat through lasers. In fact spamming is quite hard in this matchup since his Laser is hard to deal with and occasionally Wolf's will reflect your projectiles back at you.
Wolf is a spacing monster, i agree very highly with this; however with proper distance i feel Link can overpower Wolf to degree. On neutrals that have a decent amount of space to move around on (smashville?) Link can have ample opportunities to pull out bombs. However on places like BF, Link will get smothered.

Reflector will be a problem for link regardless of which space animal, however the fact that Wolf's reflector makes items pull back 2x the speed, do you all think would have enough time to counter with an arrow? I would assume that more than likely no.

I guess the best thing to do against his laser spam is run the other direction and pull out a bomb, and instead of jumping over his lasers, try and power shield them.
The problem with this is running away generally means running towards the ledge, somewhere link generally doesn't want to be.

His jab is very good for punishing Spot dodging.
I would think Link's is as well.

Wolf's Back air is just too amazing in this matchup. He can do like walls of pain with it against Link, and Link can't really do a thing against it, his Fair is too slow and Nair can't compete with the priority and range.

Very true, all i can say to do here is to watch what wolf does after the b-air, considering he hits the ground. I would assume for the most part b-air is not effectively punishable by link. Roll away if being overly pressured, or n-air out of shield if they try to go for a bair xx f-smash

You can sorta gimp his Side B if you go out there, and Nair. It usually beat's it, unless you get hit with the Sweet spot.
Wouldn't a boomerang suffice hitting him?

Bomb Footstool Jab Lock works quite well in this matchup. I've pulled it off quite a number of times. Same with Boomerang Jab lock, since Wolf falls so fast when knocked down by the boomerang they usually can't react and tech it.
If wolf is lasering enough like you were talking about before, wouldn't that leave little to no chances to do this?

Don't take him to Yoshi's, it's actually his best stage. I'd say take him Pokemon Stadium 1, those ledges can screw him over, worse then they screw Link. But in general, I think you want stages that are big, so you can get away from his lasers, pull out a bomb and spam back at him. Perhaps platforms would help against the lasers, and doing Autocancelled Dair's off the them might be a way to deal with Back air spam.
I pretty much said the same thing earlier, i highly agree.

A cool combo if you can get the spacing is Zair into Up-tilt, work's on quite low percents and it puts you in a position to juggle him. He falls so fast though, so at early percents juggling him is hard and he probably falls fast enough to punish you.
Hmm... i say get the guaranteed Zair to U-Tilt, then react to his gameplay from there on. Autopiloting against wolf will lead to serious damage.

All i can generally say about this match-up is it will require a lot of overalll patience and you will more than likely time-out. Link generally will have to change his playstyle depending on the wolf player. IF the wolf player is giving your space, use that opportunity to pick up bombs and rack up small bits of damage.

In closed areas you will more than likely suffer heavy damage just getting pressured by Wolf's b-air, quick lasers, reflector, etc.

In short, i wouldn't worry more about taking away stocks in this match-up, but instead keeping a general lead. Looking for opportunities to kill give too high risk to Link against wolf. I say this matchup if played correctely (banning yoshi's/bf) is 65:35 wolf.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't know the MU. Here's a few facts that influence it:
Bombs thrown down, Up, dropped or moving completely vertically for any reason will not be reflected. Bomb footstools should work. Lasers are piercing range that go through standard attacks and Zair. I think every range attack Link has will cancel with Wolf's lasers(?). Reflected boomerangs don't hurt Link and push him back so pull a bomb if this happens. Wolf has a wicked DAC.

Purple

Hi guys!
Hmm, so if you can predict a reflector, you get a free bomb pull basically? Plus if that's the case, wouldn't sh double arrow leave us in the camping advantage?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hmm, so if you can predict a reflector, you get a free bomb pull basically?
Bomb pulling when being pushed by a reflected 'gale' can be a safe time. It is situational and Link needs onstage room behind him.
Plus if that's the case, wouldn't sh double arrow leave us in the camping advantage?
? No, arrows will be reflected and hurt Link.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
I'd say that Wolf can be edgehogged pretty easily by Link, if you can time Link's I-frame renewal technique right. Wolf's recovery is just average, soooooo...

Eh, I'd put it at 40:60 myself.

Purple

Hi guys!
just because of wolf's general camping game and faster moves, i would make this 65:35 wolf, maybe even worse.

remember guys this is link we're talking about, our camping game is good, but not the best and can be easily shut down by reflectors.

generally, wolf is a worse version of falco, but still with a better bair. With that being known, this matchup will be slightly better for link that it was for the falco matchup

since falco is 70:30, wolf would be 65:35 or so, 60:40 is way too high for link.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've never lost to Forte's or Reesespieces's Link with Wolf. I forgot to verse KirinBlaze when I had the chance. If Lawz ever comes down to Md/Va from PA then we can verse a bunch. Not like Link experience is something people usually need.

Purple

Hi guys!
that doesn't generally help us seagull man, why do you think you never lost? does camping bug you with wolf? Can you outcamp link? What's your general strategy against link? Is it beatable? etc.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
that doesn't generally help us seagull man, why do you think you never lost? does camping bug you with wolf? Can you outcamp link? What's your general strategy against link? Is it beatable? etc.
Well, I am the most aggressive Wolf around. I don't camp verse Link because I see no point in doing so. I just set up mah bair wall. If I see him recover then I might choose to bair him to the death zone, shine spike him, or continually shoot lasers. If he shoots anything at me then I can reflect it. When Wolf reflects something his shine becomes a shield basically. So he can at that time Usmash OoS, Up b, roll, or spotdodge even. Gimping a good Wolf isn't exactly easy because we manage to learn about 16 directions for our up b and side b scarring helps go through the stage.

I don't know this match up really. I imagine it's 65-35 or worst for Link, but I just don't know.

Purple

Hi guys!
Well would you say that if you were to camp, you would have a better chance of winning? Wolf generally has a very good spacing game, so a 'perfect wolf' would definately be spacing link consistently.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Ok, so as far as Wolf goes you have to understand his options.

For doing damage he will probably string bairs, use laser, front smash, jabs/ftilts, and shieldgrab/grab.

If you are blocking too much or have terrible advances, he is going to shieldgrab/grab you for 10%ish each time. That really adds up and it keeps his front smash fresh. If he has that available from 80% - your death, you probably aren't going to do so well. You have to force him to use the frontsmash.

His projectiles are only bad when you are trying to recover on the stage, the little hit can gimp you, or if you are on Yoshi's island. Other stages totally give you the advantage. Yoshi's island is a $#@^ so try and not go there, he will most likely counter-pick it.

If he is Fsmashing a lot, you better know your OOS options, and I would recommend that you have tap jump on. With tap jump on all of your OOS are much faster. A short hopped back air, nair, a spin, or the upsmash/u-ftilt are all viable options if he slides past you or on you with his fsmash. If he is in front of you just jab, grab, or dsmash him. If he is carelessly throwing that around at high percents, you probably will kill him. Also the ftilt is a decent option out of the shield since it has a weird hitbox, but i think it might be to unreliable. I would much rather save it for when he is on the ground (OTG) after a projectile makes him stumble.

His back-airs are a *****, I wouldn't play that air game with him, unless I thought i could get a dair to hit him. Never use the dair unless you think it will kill him. Know when your kill moves will kill.

His Dsmash and Bair are his best kill options. The fair is decent and something to watch for. The Fsmash is good, but you can SDI out of it and it will probably be stale, so that shouldn't be as big of an issue, you can also DI correctly afterwards and it might not kill you.

If the Fsmash knocks you off on FD or a large stage, and you are barely going to make it, get ready to airdodge. If 1 laser hits you, you are boned. Getting the timing down on that isn't hard, just be aware that he will gimp.

I would not use the ZAIR in this match up, he crouches way too much. I would only use it every now and then to mix my game up or to force a stumble at higher percents. If you hit him with it at higher percents and follow it up with a fmash or ftilt that'd be sexy.

All of our normal kill options are viable kill moves. I like saving the utilt myself. It might be stale if you used it earlier to rake up some low% dmg, but it should only be used then and to finish him off. Otherwise I would use the Upsmash, which people can SDI out of so use that sparingly.

The dsmash is pretty sexy, but it often gets stale for me, because it is a fast move that hits pretty hard.

Upsmash is a good move out of the shield or when things get chaotic he and happens to be right next to you and both players get confused.

The Front Smash is so so in this match up, it is good if it hits, but I would try to hold off on using the 2nd swing of it, and always time the 2nd hit differently, I catch my brother offguard a lot with that. He will get greedy and thinks im not using it, or he can punish etc, and then it gets him. But if you use it too much expect to get punished.

The Dair should be used when he is getting on the stage, to guard the stage from him recovering, and to kill him at ideal times. If you spam it, you will DIE. If you want to see someone use this too much, go look for the amazing DEVA videoes. Deva is AMAZING, but he spams this **** too much and he gets punished. And yes, if wolf spaces the FAIR correctly he will own you doing a DAIR. SO, you better not be predictable with it. I think could matches I use it about 2-5 times. Generally to kill the **** out of him. I would not use this move EVER to just rack up damage. Even if you get 3 hits out of it, this is not melee, don't expect to l-cancel that ****.

The f-air is so so this matchup, I would only do it if you FF it, or if he is spacing poorly, or if you jump over his head hit him with a bomb and FF the Fair to get 2 more hits. I have had some good izaw combos myself where I did a overhead Bomb toss -> FF fair -> fsmash. So, I would really limit it to when you have a good chance to punish him for spacing badly early. Other than that, I would use it, his aerials are better and this one isn't good.

The back air and the neutral air are good, do not challenge the back air with it, and if you approach with them, he will probably shield grab or smash the **** out of you. His Dsmash will own you when you NAIR some of the time, and losing your second jump AND getting your **** owned by his dmash can be a quick loss of a stock. Be really careful when it comes to the air, I would just jump around with bombs and projectiles, unless I were on Norfair or something. On Norfair or some stage like that, I would use those 2 aerials more, because of the lava and knocking him off platforms etc. These 2 aerials are probably going to be your best options, however they do not compete with his, you have to just slide them into the fight.

NEVER fully charge an arrow. You can not cancel it, and he will just reflect it INTO YOUR FACE. If you fully charge it, ONLY DO IT WHEN HE IS RECOVERING FROM FAR FAR AWAY.
Arrow can be good, but if he has time to reflect it, you are going to take 12% dmg.

Bombs are amazing, bombs are your friend. Early on just throw bombs and do bomb related combos, if he likes to use his reflector use the bomb's explosion to hurt him. You will not get punished by the reflector if you know how to use bombs.

The gale is an amazing set-up move. IF you are approaching him and it hits, you generally can dash attack or ftilt and get a bunch more damage. The gale can be reflected, but that generally doesn't matter. Just be weary of them using your gale to push themselves into you, or if the gale moves you off the stage. I suppose you could try gale gimping as well, but I just ledge hog with the grappling hook and that tends to work out.

The spin should almost never be used. I would only use that out of a jab cancel or OOS. And try to use it on the sides of the stage, it might kill him. The spin could be link's worst move.

Dtilt. I doubt you will hit him with this, I would check out Kirin's guide on where to stand to perform this, but unless you are a bad ***, then I doubt you are going to get one though.
I have dtilted my brother a couple of times, but it isn't really worth using. Bomb pressure is a better option.

Oh, Jab canceling isn't a good idea to spam. His jab is faster and I think his tilt can even go through if you are being really slow with your cancel. You have to keep him on his toes about what you will do, otherwise he will just punish you. Also, be sure to space the jabs properly or he will shield grab you.

All of the ATs should work well versus wolf with the exception of ZAIRING. If you are amazing with it, then maybe you could work something out, but I would limit it to retreats and for setting up a ftilt kill.

Anywho, i would rate this match up 60:40 or 65:35.

*The fsmash can also be used after a stumble, I am not sure what Link's complete OTG options are, but when they stumble the dash, ftilt and the fsmash all will, (might just be the second hit from the fsmash.) IF someone can post Link's (On the ground) OTG options, for when the opponent stumbles do to a projectile, that would be awesome.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I disagree with the Zair part, the fact is auto-cancels is helpful even if he crouches. It's weird to use it on crouching or short characters, but if you can get the timing down you can use to to extend long enough to hit him and still have options to defend yourself.

Part of the problem might also have to do with how Zair is being used on Wolf, approaching with it makes it less safe, neutral positioned ones are spaced correctly, retreating could work but seeing as we're kinda limited in camping him I don't see retreating being too useful unless you think he's gonna Fsmash and your catching the ending lag.

I agree with 65:35, Wolf is hard, but he's not Falco or MK bad.

Purple

Hi guys!
He can't be Falco bad, he just a worse spacing game than falco, and a worse recovery than mk and falco.

It's either that, or our falco/mk matchups are too low a disadvantage.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
For some reason, I do not mind playing against MK as bad as... Falco, or D3, or Kirby. Small characters or some what large characters with projectiles, tend to bother me more than MK. Even though MK is small, with a sword, I seem to do much better versus him than Falco, D3, and Kirby. D3 makes me cry. I hate fighting that fat penguin.

But yea, Mk is probably 25:75 along with those other 3, no way Wolf is as hard. I probably have just gotten lucky that noone really wants to get good with MK, OR the MK players show up less. Even though the next tournament I host should have 3-4 of the best people from the state, so incoming MK. One of them I beat before but... ugh...

Yea, if you are good with the Zair i can see it being somewhat useful. However, if you use it like Deva and ***** that thing out, Wolf is probably going to punish you. Of course, if Deva posted a video of him whoring it out on Wolf and it working, then he wins. :p

I played my brother yesterday and we ended up going 60% Wolf won, to my 40% with link, so yea. At least I can always take that ***** to Norfair.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I go even with Kirbies offline in-tournament. Fsmash and offstage gimping are the only things he can do to actually hurt me. For me Snake is a ridiculous matchup, I just can't play against him (which is lulz because he is arguably one of the best matchups Link has). It's all based on the player.
I'd say MK is 80:20, I've played some amazing MKs and once they learn how to space Link's own hitboxes (because the ****** creature has just a little more range than Link, plus trancendental priority) they really just walk over him. It was the same with my TL; I traded matches with these MKs until they learned to space right. Then TL's recovery was about as useful as Link's; aka I pretty much should've just daired and saved myself the humiliation.
Oh, and projectiles just get cancelled out, including bombs. I pretty much started screaming in my head when the MK started cancelling out my bombs with dair.

Anyways, I think we've got a good average score here of 65:35 (Good for Wolf anyways).

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well it looks like we got this MU down info wise, glad since I'm not well versed in it. Keep discussing it if we have more info like stages or anything else. I'll change to someone else when people think we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom