• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match Up, Stage Counterpicks, And Bans Discussion #2 - Samus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Mario can gimp Link very easily by ledgestalling with the cape, and can dthrow > utilt lock at lower percents. Mario's most common approaches/combo setups are aerial fireballs and SH double bairs. Mario shuts out your close range aerial game by caping your aerials and then punishing with uair combos. Smashville is a great stage for Mario to fireball ledge camp since his fireballs reach more than halfway across the stage. CP a big stage or a stage with platforms that Mario's fireballs can't touch from the ledge. Reverse Utilt outranges any of Mario's aerial attacks and you can shield/clank with his fireballs easily enough.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
Link Zair has longer reach than any of mario's airials. Mario can deflect projectiles, but the boomerang won't inflict any damage so don't use arrows too much. also it opens up possibilties for bomb - mindgames.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
60:40 Link.
That's the worst ration I've ever seen. Link's recovery is HORRIBLE and there is no excuse for Mario not being able to gimp him with cape or FLUDD. The slightest touch form FLUDD to Link, above Link's head, will propel Link high into the air and leave him helpless to Mario's cape which means Link CANNOT recover safely from below. If Link tries to use his tether to recover Mario can simply run off stage and Bair him for a stage spike. Link also has no reliable gimping abilities to use on Mario. Running off the stage with a Nair may gimp but you may also KO yourself with Link's terribad recovery.

Link's projectiles are formidable but Mario's cape is better. Once he reflects the boomerang it will cancel out any projectile he tries to use next, arrows also will get cape right into your face. Once Mario enters Link's comfort zone Mario can combo Link to oblivion thanks to his heavy weight and lack of a good combo breaker. Link has range on his side and can keep Mario out with his Fsmash from a pivot boost but he can't keep Mario out forever and when it does happen Link can expect to take massive amounts of damage from Mario's superior aerial and combo game.

This match up is at least 60:40 in Mario's favor.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Don't. Fall. Off. The. Stage.

Link's recovery is awful, and the cape and FLUDD = screwed. Try to recover late, but still know the distance of your spin attack.

A good mario won't cape excessively, except for edgeguarding, but if you are caped on the ground, try a spin attack or a downsmash. It generally should put a little space between you and mario. You can then fire off an arrow or if you had a bomb drawn, throw it. Mario may be able to cape it but by then you should be outta there.

Really, this is not the best matchup for link and is kinda screwed when he is offstage. Mario can and will juggle you, and getting grabbed can often mean a FLUDD or cape trick.

Epic.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
That's the worst ration I've ever seen. Link's recovery is HORRIBLE and there is no excuse for Mario not being able to gimp him with cape or FLUDD. The slightest touch form FLUDD to Link, above Link's head, will propel Link high into the air and.... (shortened)

This match up is at least 60:40 in Mario's favor.
Yes this is most likely to happen, if the Mario is a "pro" and the Link a "noob". Links DI is crazy compared to other chars witch means he'll survive longer than mario unless he's sweetspotted by Mario's f-smash, but it won't happen in an instant cuz of it's short range compared to most of Links attacks. Also if Links boomerang is reflected it HAVE A CHANCE of stoping the next projectile, but it's hard to belive that anyone can reflect every boomerang that Link throws during a match. also Mario's fireballs have very short range and are easily stoped by Links shield. The Link can also throw bombs so they land right in front of the Mario so the cape wont help. Marios isn't really much to brag about either he's really easily z-edgeguarded.

FLUDD=overrated(it sends him upwards)
Cape=screwed, but really easy to avoid

hard to say, 50-50 maybe - or + 5...

also i speak with excperience, if i ever die cuz of FLUDD or cape il give away my wii
AND i've mained Mario so i know alot about how he works.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
This is anything but even and the FLUDD is ANYTHING but overrated. It will destroy you offstage. Cape isn't easy to dodge with a PREDICTABLE and HORRIBLE recovery. Yeah it may be easy to avoid with other people put Link's terrible recovery doesn't allow him the luxury of air dodging through it to safety because something like that will get Link KO'ed because of his recovery. Mario doesn't have to combo you do death %'s to kill you he just have to combo you offstage and DI means nothing when you can get gimped at any % Mario pleases given you're offstage. Mario can just even grab the ledge and hog you off it because it's so bad.

Ask any of the Link mains before you who are now on AiB, Mario is not an even match up and they have ALL been gimped by Mario's FLUDD. Every Mario main on these boards knows how amazing the FLUDD is. I speak with experience when I say FLUDD is something to be afraid of and this match up is in Mario's favor.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
The FLUDD can easily be avoided by going under, and the cape is really easy to avoid with jumping over then fotstooling(yes i do that all the time) and if its so bad that you can't do any of that Mario have a decent chance of gimping him, but if Mario gets hit that hard he's pretty easy to edgeguard. Mario has a slight advantage offstage, but Link is supirior on stage. And really Link's recoviry is far from so bad that if you get him offstage it's a instant KO. if you think so you it's cuz you only have played Noobs or CPUs or you suck at him(no offense)

FLUDD don't mean Mario is better than Link. i've never been gimped by it and when i mained him it didn't really work that well either. and i don't wanna hear "it's cuz you suck with him" i didn't lol.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
The slightest touch form FLUDD to Link, above Link's head, will propel Link high into the air and leave him helpless to Mario's cape which means Link CANNOT recover safely from below. If Link tries to use his tether to recover Mario can simply run off stage and Bair him for a stage spike.
Did you read any of that? Link cannot safely recover from below. Mario is superior to Link both onstage on off. A majority of Link's game revolves around camping with projectiles and Mario has a means to reflect them away. Mario's close range game is superior thanks to faster jabs, tilts, and smashes. His aerial game is superior due to much faster aerials then Link and a much better combo and juggling game. This match up is not in Link's favor. Mario's cape is used to reverse the start up of Link's recovery or during it so the Mario's who come after you before you even use your second jump have no idea how to edge guard properly. Oh and even if you do manage to get low enough to avoid the water you're either A) To low to recover anyway. or B) Going to get edge hogged normally.

So yeah.

Matt07

Smash Master
Blaargh. I'd like to say Mario has an advantage here, maybe even depending on counterpicks. Link's spam game is difficult to deal with, our Cape can't stop everything. Your z-air outranges, and outprioritizes all of our moves.

However we have the tools to gimp you easily with a well placed Cape, B-air, FLUDD etc. You'll want to have extremely good DI, so you don't put yourself in such a bad position to get gimped. However Mario's recovery isn't the best either so a well placed z-air edgehog can gimp us, are maybe even a n-air? If you time z-air wrong however you can get stage spiked at battlefield, which will K.O you instead.

Mario can combo Link quite well at low %'s due to Link's weight. We can most likely get 30-50% damage at most with a well placed utilt, dthrow combo.

Mario and Link have about the same K.O moves, you have fsmash, d-air, and dsmash. We have fsmash, dsmash (it can send Link in a bad trajectory to get gimped), and usmash (with good DI on the Link, I can see this being a hard move to K.O Link with.) If Mario is offstage, and up B's chances are you can hit him with a d-air, and easily K.O him. Mario has fsmash which has good range, but is kinda easy to see coming :(.

IMO I'd go with 55:45 in Mario's favour or 50:50.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yes this is most likely to happen, if the Mario is a "pro" and the Link a "noob". Links DI is crazy compared to other chars witch means he'll survive longer than mario unless he's sweetspotted by Mario's f-smash, but it won't happen in an instant cuz of it's short range compared to most of Links attacks. Also if Links boomerang is reflected it HAVE A CHANCE of stoping the next projectile, but it's hard to belive that anyone can reflect every boomerang that Link throws during a match. also Mario's fireballs have very short range and are easily stoped by Links shield. The Link can also throw bombs so they land right in front of the Mario so the cape wont help. Marios isn't really much to brag about either he's really easily z-edgeguarded.

also i speak with excperience, if i ever die cuz of FLUDD or cape il give away my wii
I hate to tell you, but indeed this is in Mario's favor.
First off, about the DI. You say Link's DI is crazy compared to other characters? It takes a pro to be able to do it correctly. I've got pretty good DI myself, but Mario can easily gimp me; what options does he NOT have to do so? Even with perfect DI, you're not going to escape the gimp.
FLUDD ain't overrated. That thing is nasty if the Mario knows how to play it right. The cape is really, really hard to avoid as well. You're pretty much NOT going to be able to avoid it.
Offstage Link has no options against Mario, not even for edgeguarding, because Mario can cape Link while he falls and hog the edge.

Mario has great combo potential on Link, it's unavoidable that he'll get a good 40% in on you. Also beware the fireballs, they tend to set up good combo scenarios for Mario and act as really good approaches. Make sure you zair his aerial approaches, and abuse nair while in a combo scenario to break the combo if they are only a few frames off.
Still, with Mario having such good ledge options, this is at least 65:35 Mario's favor.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Blaargh. I'd like to say Mario has an advantage here, maybe even depending on counterpicks. Link's spam game is difficult to deal with, our Cape can't stop everything. Your z-air outranges, and outprioritizes all of our moves.

However we have the tools to gimp you easily with a well placed Cape, B-air, FLUDD etc. You'll want to have extremely good DI, so you don't put yourself in such a bad position to get gimped. However Mario's recovery isn't the best either so a well placed z-air edgehog can gimp us, are maybe even a n-air? If you time z-air wrong however you can get stage spiked at battlefield, which will K.O you instead.

Mario can combo Link quite well at low %'s due to Link's weight. We can most likely get 30-50% damage at most with a well placed utilt, dthrow combo.

Mario and Link have about the same K.O moves, you have fsmash, d-air, and dsmash. We have fsmash, dsmash (it can send Link in a bad trajectory to get gimped), and usmash (with good DI on the Link, I can see this being a hard move to K.O Link with.) If Mario is offstage, and up B's chances are you can hit him with a d-air, and easily K.O him. Mario has fsmash which has good range, but is kinda easy to see coming :(.

IMO I'd go with 55:45 in Mario's favour or 50:50.
Off topic but, I support your signature. xD

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
CP a big stage or a stage with platforms that Mario's fireballs can't touch from the ledge.
CPing a stage with platforms is VERY bad against Mario and is bad for Link. Platforms can interrupt your projectile spam game and if you're on them Mario is going to abuse the fact he can SHUair through them and have you take a lot of damage. Your best bet is to CP a flat stage like Final Destination. While Mario does preform well here it gives Link room to use his projectiles to attempt to keep Mario away from him.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Mario has a good, if not notable advantage over Link.

Link may have a few things that aid him in this fight, such as outranging Mario in a number of ways, but regardless of all his projectiles and tricks, a good Mario will get near you, and once Mario is near Link, Link is in for a fun bit of trouble. Mario is very dominant over Link in hand to hand combat, and can easily gain momentum to carry Link offstage and then proceeding to gimping him. FLUDD is ok, Cape is ****. End of story.

You will NOT win the match with Link unless you pay close attention to spacing, priortities, and your opponents patterns.

60:40 to 65:35, Mario's favor; leaning closer to the 60:40 end of the spectrum.

These threads make me wish Legan still existed. Lord knows where the crap he went.

*Edited for slight grammar phail on my part. <_<

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I also approve of the Game and Watch sig. :laugh:

I second the platform idea, Mario can get a quick nair/uair/bair when you land on a platform.
You might want to consider going Pirate Ship against Mario, Link does suffer from Fludd. Your projectiles would do well here, but Mario still has the cape, which can wreck your arrows and 'nado. Not sure how well uptilt does against Link here, although I'm sure it'll get you to 20% before the comboes begin. 60:40 sounds pretty good. But only due to Link's deadly fsmash, zair, bombs, and tilts. Bair to fsmash can deal some good knockback, and instead of shieldgrabbing, most Marios will probably go for the jab. Or jab cancel, which works wonders against Link.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Um what? Mario's short range? LOL. Mario can stutter step his Fsmash. It's just about longer than Marth's fsmash lmao. Even if link does manage to survive and manages to get the ledge. He has crappy *** ledge options. Mario can always reset it and put him back to offstage game. Also, Fludd will cover about high to mid range, if he recovers low, just go for a spike bair stage spike or cape stall for inv frames. Really, it's not that hard you know lol.

The FLUDD can easily be avoided by going under, and the cape is really easy to avoid with jumping over then fotstooling(yes i do that all the time) and if its so bad that you can't do any of that Mario have a decent chance of gimping him, but if Mario gets hit that hard he's pretty easy to edgeguard. Mario has a slight advantage offstage, but Link is supirior on stage. And really Link's recoviry is far from so bad that if you get him offstage it's a instant KO. if you think so you it's cuz you only have played Noobs or CPUs or you suck at him(no offense)

FLUDD don't mean Mario is better than Link. i've never been gimped by it and when i mained him it didn't really work that well either. and i don't wanna hear "it's cuz you suck with him" i didn't lol.
Actually, fludd will wreck his projectile game / Zair game/ aerial game = Fludd Induced Hit lag. If it wasn't for MArio's fludd, we probably won't have a 35:65 with Mks/Gaws etc LOL.
Link just has to play a superior onstage game so he won't get gimped. Think like olimar yes?

IMO, i find it a 55:45 or 50-50 at the very worst in mario's hands. The reason why I say 50-50 is because, obviously most mario's have never seen a good link at all. People like Izaw is what makes you go WTF?! The links probably have a slightly better knowledge in fighting Mario while mario players have no knowledge what so ever about link other then his recovery is trash lol. But yeah IMO its like 55:45 or 50-50 with CPs or no.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Link is relitively screwed offstage. If you make it back, you're knocked back out. If you try and attack or avoid mario, you fall to your death.

Powershield. Grab. Usmash. Anything to get damage on mario is good enough. Don't forget to throw the boomerang above or past mario if he approaches you. It alone is enough to disrupt a combo when it comes back (helps to attack too). The truth is, a good mario will not always beat a good link. Often he will though, but only just, the matchup is about 55/45 mario's favour.

All link can really do is make sure mario isn't close, and that there's always a projectile flying at him. You have the Hylian Shield, use it.

if you're really in trouble call midna to get you outta there

epic.

Edit: I just went and fought a lv9 mario cpu (yes I know CPU's don't fight human) and messed him up pretty bad. But the point is, I found a strategy that works. Projectiles at first, then GET IN HIS FACE. Yes, thats what he's trying to do, yes, mario is faster, but it works. if you keep him in front of you, in the air by a bit, he can't actually do very much. His fair is slow, and his nair is a short-ranged sex kick.

He'll get down though, and juggle you for awhile, but if either of you are in the air fairly high, don't forget your upair and downair, which both have lasting hitboxes, and at decent percentages both will kill near the top blast line.

The point is, you're not as cornered as people would think, as the matchup is fairly close to even.

epic. (again)

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
Um what? Mario's short range? LOL. Mario can stutter step his Fsmash. It's just about longer than Marth's fsmash lmao. Even if link does manage to survive and manages to get the ledge. He has crappy *** ledge options. Mario can always reset it and put him back to offstage game. Also............
umm... yeah something like that. it's almost like Olimar, but Link most Links(or atleast me) get back to the stage about 80% of the time, so his recovery is crap, it is, BUT it's also extremely underrated. You see Link mains have a hard time recovering, that means they get really good at it. people who main chars with good recovery probobly think Links is useless, but if you main him or other chars with bad recovery you get really good at avoiding stuff like edgeguards and gimps. In short, good Link mains will have an advantage against players who underastimate his recovery to much, becouse the Link main will be alot better at recovering than they think. thats atleast what usually happens with me.

oh, and i would really like to see fludd stop every projectile Link throws in a game lol. don't get me wrong. fludd IS good, but on the ground it can't be used to much against 3 different projectiles, and then there is the cape, but as i said earlier alot of bombs and boomerangs should take care of that.

it really depends on the playing style of the players, so il go for 50-50 on this one.

AND to the Blubba dude: Legan is still here lawlz

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Match-up discussion has nothing to do about how a person plays a character. It's all about comparing the strengths and weaknesses of a character to another character. Link's recovery is horrible, you have to understand that it's HORRIBLE and just because you make it back to the stage does not make it any better or more bearable. Keeping in mind the way recovery works and comparing Link's recovery to others it's painfully obvious Link's it total garbage.

With that said Mario's edge guarding options compared to Link's abysmal and predictable recovery gives Mario a serious advantage here. Mario's recovery is mediocre at best, decent range, but very predictable as well. Mario also has more options off stage with cape stallling or using his FLUDD to give him an extra push back to the stage and mix up his recovery options overall, Link can't do this. Link's really only has about 2 or 3 options offstage to try and gimp someone but his horrible recovery holds him back from being able to execute this all the time because if you go out too far or down too low you're not making it back.

Mario can use his FLUDD to combat and mess up Link's Zair spacing and force Link into situations he doesn't want to be in. Mario has the ability to almost completely neutralize Link's projectile game with his cape. Mario as the faster and superior close up game with faster jabs, tilts, and smashes. (Mario's DownSmash hits on frame 5, fyi.) and Mario clearly wins in the air with faster aerials and much more combo potential on and off the ground.

The only thing Link can really do is what Blubba said, pick up on your opponents patterns and space extremely well. But that kind of thing has no place in the theory of match up discussion, it's what you as a player has to do when the time finally comes to play that match up.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
From what im reading im gonna say that this is no way Link's advantage. IMO its 60-40 Mario's advantage. Mario is amazing at gimping and can gimp almost every character and a bad recovery makes it all the more easier to do so. Mario ruins his projectile game and his attacks are much faster. Unfortunately, Link's shield doesn't make fireball spamming as reliable as it would on other characters and im pretty sure Link can kill Mario at lower percents (gimping not included)

Rain the Link Main

Smash Cadet
You guys are saying this is a once-a-week discussion? Why is that? Shouldn't you just discuss one after you are done with the next? You should look at AiB's Link board match-up discussion. You could copy/pasta it into here just so your up to speed with what we've accomplished. :lol:

You guys are saying this is a once-a-week discussion? Why is that? Shouldn't you just discuss one after you are done with the next? You should look at AiB's Link board match-up discussion. You could copy/pasta it into here just so your up to speed with what we've accomplished. :lol:
Ehem commercial. Just for your info that can count as that and it could give you banning points.

And I should probably dont tell you, cause that is against the rules too, but thought it could be good for you to know so you can avoid it. ;)

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
well it's about matching the characters and how to play against characters lol. also as i said earlier Mario has better recovery than Link, witch is an advantage, but it doesn't mean he's overall better. and i think you are forgetting about the clawshot witch alone gives more offstage possibilities than the number you mention. also fludd has to be charged witch means it can only be used once in a while, and if it hits on-ground it doesn't really matter that much unless it messes the Link up so bad that, he does a SD. Most of Mario's attacks are faster than Link's, but not so much that it plays a big role. and Link's range and power pretty much evens that out, pluss he also have different combo possebilities thats just as good as Marios. fewer hits, more damage. also a Mario combo in the air does half the damage of one Link hit.

also thanks for helping us here with posting so much lulz.

SERIUSLY RAIN, NOT COOL.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
...wut? Type properly
Hurt my head too, but I think he had something against AiB. Not really sure.

So yeah. Mario can gimp link. Settled. Link has a terrible recovery so a character with a meteor, the FLUDD and a turnaround move is obviously going to have a chance. And link is mega-screwed recovery wise.

So is Link going to have to beat him on-stage? Yes. Mario is faster etc, but Link has range in all his sword moves, and his Zair is long enough to push mario away.

We want peoples ratios now. 43-57 Mario's favour seems good enough for me.

Twilighted.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I view it as being in Mario favor. But that's me. Quicker an safer moves to rack up damage. And offstage Link needs to recover asap, or risk the Fludd/cape combination.. Zair is a safe means of recovery for Link to use, long as it's done quickly so he doesn't get hit by a FF Bair by Mario.

Link does have alot of projectiles, That with the Zair, Link shouldn't have many problems onstage as he has alot of options at his disposal.

Counterpick, SV, FD, YI, ect sounds reasonable. Long as it's not BF with all the platforms, Mario can use the platforms far better.

Personal ratio. 55-45 60-40 Mario

~I'd like to play against some decent Links sometime.Iif you play wifi occasionally, get at me.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
60:40 Mario imo.

Mario has the combo power and means to approach via fireball followups and caping oncoming projectiles. Fsmash KOs around 110% IIRC, and Dsmash sets up for gimps. One cape or Fludd followed by a ledgehog usually ends the stock whenever Link's offstage. His defensive options are few since he must worry about his recovery, your most opposition will probably be a bomb or lone arrow. Most of the battle is getting inside the range. Afterwards, it's pretty much laying down thick pressure and getting him offstage for a gimp.

Link, however, has an overwhelming range advantage on Mario, as well as a good projectile game and a KO power advantage. Surprisingly enough, Link can also rack up damage almost as fast as Mario can with the proper combo starter, so getting the damage isn't much of an issue for Link. Abuse of Zair and Utilt will prove fruitful, as they beat most of Mario's approaches hands down. Still, Link's recovery is hard to ignore. His options offstage just aren't good enough to protect him from Mario's edgeguarding. His weight is also a small disadvantage here since Mario excels in comboing fatties.

I hate fighting Link on Yoshis. As Link, I'd probably ban BF or RC.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Battlefield and Rainbow Cruise? Whats wrong there?

Ray/Boshi, I'd be quite happy to play you. If there's lotsa lag I'd just muck about though... And I am nowhere near a link 'pro' (people abuse that word too much).

Well I'm not saying anything else about the matchup until someone starts being a jerk and saying that

a. Its in links favour

or b. Its mario's favour 80/20

etc.

So yah. Thanks for your help guys ^.^

Twilighted.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
personal 55-45 Mario nothing more.
ppl are overrating Marios giming abilities, they are pretty easy to avoid at low % with the clawshot. anyway it's really that even that it's basicly the skill of the players and (almost) nothing more that desides the winner.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
that is usually the same with most matchups, the characters have distinct advantages / disadvantages but the players is what makes the tides turn such as Deva vs DSF or whatever, some pretty epic matches right there

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
ppl are overrating Marios giming abilities, they are pretty easy to avoid at low % with the clawshot. anyway it's really that even that it's basicly the skill of the players and (almost) nothing more that desides the winner.

You'd be wrong and watching you try to argue with Kirin was pretty funny, but this place'll die again in a few days. As one last piece of help: 65:35.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze

No one's overrating Mario's gimping abilities. You're failing to realize how much trouble they give horrible recoveries like yours. Oh and if you get predictable with your tether recovery and Mario picks up on it he can simply run off stage and Bair, Nair, or Uair you out of it and then get onto the ledge which WILL result in a loss of a stock for you. Link's tether is a horrible recovery option in this game due to the fact it will only latch onto the ledge which leaves him very open to run off aerial gimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom