• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
While this topic being kind of long, and me being too lazy to read 33 pages I figure I would ask this even if it has been asked before, but does anyone have any tips on using Link. In Brawl I used to main Toon Link, but with project M I find I can't really use him as well as I used to so I have been considering using Link, mainly because well Link is like one of my favorite video game characters so I figure hell why not. I know that Link is similar to Toon Link in a lot of ways, considering they have pretty much identical moves, but obviously there are differences in their weight, and their general range. I know he can camp, which is what I used to do with Toon Link a lot if I fighting something I considered an unfavorable match up against friends, but I want to try and develop a style with Link that is maybe a little more aggressive than my Toon Link style. So yeah, advice if anyone wouldn't mind lol.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
I need to mess around more with AGT, I think is my most unused AT, and DACUS is that good for an AT here? he dosen't seem to advance that much, that why I don't use it that often

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
He advances quite a bit if you do it correctly. It's just difficult. DACUS is awesome.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
He advances quite a bit if you do it correctly. It's just difficult. DACUS is awesome.
DACUS is awesome! If done wrong it will be easily punishable it can even cost you a stock. Comboing it up a bit would be suitable and they would be destracted if you are throwing projectiles like a bomb then they would be destracted and then use your DACUS.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Dash attack is also very good actually. <_>
They have different uses so imo they shouldn't be directly compared because there aren't that many situations where they're interchangeable. DACUS is more for further reaching or covering them from above you (especially platforms). DA is for follow-ups and extending combos, it's also much faster.

DACUS is only really good for confirms or hitting them while they're in a position above you. Using it for a surprise hit is fairly decent as well though, but imo it's not optimal.

I noticed that with DACUS I generally do very well at aiming it without meaning to. What I mean is if I use it as a follow-up I almost always go exactly the distance I want to. When I randomly do it in practice I don't go very far. I noticed greater success depending on where I position my finger on the trigger. If I position it near the bottom part where it juts out I always get more consistent ones. It's weird.

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Dash attack is also very good actually. <_>
They have different uses so imo they shouldn't be directly compared because there aren't that many situations where they're interchangeable. DACUS is more for further reaching or covering them from above you (especially platforms). DACUS is for follow-ups and extending combos, it's also much faster.

DACUS is only really good for confirms or hitting them while they're in a position above you. Using it for a surprise hit is fairly decent as well though, but imo it's not optimal.

I noticed that with DACUS I generally do very well at aiming it without meaning to. What I mean is if I use it as a follow-up I almost always go exactly the distance I want to. When I randomly do it in practice I don't go very far. I noticed greater success depending on where I position my finger on the trigger. If I position it near the bottom part where it juts out I always get more consistent ones. It's weird.
You got Wiimfi?

Heero Yuy

#sweg
@ E EmptySky00 Good move. WiFi is bleh.

So I'm going to my first real tournament today so I'll finally migrate away from my netplay-only habitat. The adrenaline in me is really pumping and I'm really nervous.

If I place top 3 I'll solo main Link forever, but if I place lower than that I'll pick up a secondary - most likely Mewtwo or Wolf.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Don't expect to move mountains your first try. It hampers your performance if you're playing under super high expectations. Just play your best, and style on ******* with Link. That's what really matters imo. Winning will come with it.

Player -0

Smash Hero
@ E EmptySky00 Good move. WiFi is bleh.

So I'm going to my first real tournament today so I'll finally migrate away from my netplay-only habitat. The adrenaline in me is really pumping and I'm really nervous.

If I place top 3 I'll solo main Link forever, but if I place lower than that I'll pick up a secondary - most likely Mewtwo or Wolf.
Good Luck! Don't worry about picking up secondaries unless you feel like Link isn't the character for you.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Thanks Empty. I know exactly what you mean but the only tournaments I've been to were really small. This one will have 30+ people.
My first one had hundreds. And Mango. 30+ is completely doable for you and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
When I saw him I was like "Wow he has the tattoos just like in the video." That sudden realization that the pro smash players do indeed exist outside of smash videos.

Don't know why that amused/surprised me.

I didn't get to play him though.

So I stumbled upon something silly via unorthodox means (a kid who was literally playing Smash for the first time did it on me randomly..)
You can like fall off of a platform and do the first hit of Zair and confirm it into a grab occasionally. It's sort of neat. Not sure how guaranteed it is, but it definitely worked on Umbreon the one time I tried it. It's probably not very guaranteed actually. 10 frame landing lag - 14 frame dash grab. But if you get them to respect you it can work.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Placed 3rd at my first real tournament! My only two losses were against the best P:M player (Diddy) and the best Melee player (Peach) in my scene. I'm really happy with my performance all-in-all. Only went Link the whole tournament.

Thanks for the encouragement all!

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I seriously don't want to beat a dead horse, and I'm not going to cause a stir this time, but link's Bair is REALLY damn inconsistent. Even if I follow DI, against anyone who knows how to hold a direction, the second shot whiffs. I don't have this problem with Marth's Nair, and Falcon's Nair is actually a matter of spacing. I just want it to be reliable. It doesn't need to be omnipotent, but I feel like if I land the move I shouldn't be punished because my opponent isn't sleeping. It's a good move, but inconsistency nullifies it a good portion of the time. Other people I know agree with me too so I'm not just crazy.
@Hylian

Last edited:

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
G1 Marth on Dreamland. He was up over 100%, I got a lucky bair > FF up-b semi-spike at around... 45%?
G2 CPs me to FoD, I go Bowser he goes Zelda. Pretty bad.
You beat his Zelda with Bowser? Hmm... maybe I ought to start using my secondaries in tournament haha

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You beat his Zelda with Bowser? Hmm... maybe I ought to start using my secondaries in tournament haha
He took me to a small stage, what would you expect?
I was up 3-1 at some point, and then I played really greedy, it went to 1-1, then I just stopped and f-tilted him or something.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
He took me to a small stage, what would you expect?
I was up 3-1 at some point, and then I played really greedy, it went to 1-1, then I just stopped and f-tilted him or something.
Haha awesome, and yea you're right that is a good idea, hopefully Ganondorf is good on small stages so I might use him

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ Wolf_ Wolf_ , I think you are the only high-level Link that doesn't resort to secondaries fairly often. but yeah Ganon does well on small stages... I really don't know his matchup spread, but it might work for you. just pawnch

I watched a set of you vs KDJ's Ike then Marth (not sure when that was recorded). I think you're real close on the Marth matchup against him... just need to mixup your techs and ledge game slightly. I wouldn't abandon ship just yet though.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
@ Wolf_ Wolf_ , I think you are the only high-level Link that doesn't resort to secondaries fairly often. but yeah Ganon does well on small stages... I really don't know his matchup spread, but it might work for you. just pawnch

I watched a set of you vs KDJ's Ike then Marth (not sure when that was recorded). I think you're real close on the Marth matchup against him... just need to mixup your techs and ledge game slightly. I wouldn't abandon ship just yet though.
Yea, I get read on techs and at the ledge too much against Marth players, it's tough switching from playing one good Marth player (Sora) to KDJ because their playstyles are wildly different

And I have a plan against Marth, it's a new playstyle I'm gonna try out, and I wanna try Ganondorf on a small stage just to see what happens, if it's in Winners Finals then I have 1 game to **** around at least haha

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I'm kind of ok with this. Forces us to recover more skillfully.

I'll miss Empty Tethers though.. (tether cancel retether nonsense)

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Melee Link had only one tether anyway. I'll be able to adapt. As long as I can still tether cancel and UpB right afterwards, I'll be happy.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm not sure I see the problem that is actually being fixed by doing this, tbh.

I completely understand the tether jump nerf, because that was darn near unpunishable on reaction at times, but the multigrabs... I guess I don't really think it's broken.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I definitely like the tether forced jump nerf but I'm not sure about the re-tether too. It might be so if people catch someone without the tether it's easier to punish.

Punishing the forced jump can be super hard depending on the character and percent in the current version.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. How does one DI+SDI out of Link usmash? I've had some succes with DIing to the side + SDI to an upper corner, but the results are hit-or-miss.

D

Deleted member

So my Link is lacking with his bomb skills, I can bomb recover and camp the ledge with bombs but that's about it. In the neutral I'm clueless on what to do with bombs, you guys got some tips?

Top Bottom