• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Okay maybe it's not a guaranteed follow-up, then. But even then spacies can shine out of stuff like Marth's and Peach's chain grabs, so it's still a great small risk high reward combo.
... Spacies cannot shine out of a proper Marth/Peach chain-grab...
If they could, M2K wouldn't have an auto-win on FD against them.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
... Spacies cannot shine out of a proper Marth/Peach chain-grab...
If they could, M2K wouldn't have an auto-win on FD against them.
At higher percentages, spacies most certainly can. They just have to be frame perfect, which is immensely hard to do. IIRC, Game 5 against PP at Apex, PP successfully shines out of Marth's chain grab at around the 20ish %'s.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Then Marth made an error, or Marth's CG on Falco ends there.
If you can escape CGs, they're no longer CGs, they're reads.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Very well Nick, I see your point.

What options do we have after a crouch cancel? I don't do it enough and honestly it's only now I'm making a habit of CC'ing at low %'s.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Woo, won a tournament today and didn't drop a game~
And, as per usual in FL, not a single game of P:M was recorded!

I'm never going to have a good video of me online.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Woo, won a tournament today and didn't drop a game~
And, as per usual in FL, not a single game of P:M was recorded!

I'm never going to have a good video of me online.
Whooped my *** in Link dittos. I'll bring my laptop and capture card next time. You deserve to have some stuff up.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Does anyone know the frame data for throwing Link's boomerang? I know it's good, but I want to know how good.

EDIT: I found the frame data. The throw animation is 35 frames. Boomerang comes out on frame 21 or 22.

Re-edited: the first frame data listed was wrong.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
What do you guys think about having bomb arrows added?
say if link is holding a bomb and he charges up an arrow it auto attaches the bomb to the arrow
To this day I don't know why nobody else came up with this cool idea...

Could use some help with the Samus matchup. I played one on Wi-Fi, but this person lag-abused a lot and I SD'd twice due to failed laggy recoveries, so I couldn't figure out what was going on really.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Samus MU?
Nair missles, don't let her CC you, don't fight her recovery with anything dangerous.

It's pretty much the Melee MU, but with stronger missles, and Link's same tools all working a LOT better. At least +1 in Link's favor, probably even more.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Thanks. That makes sense.

Have another question, how do I deal with campy opponents? Particularly Sonic, Fox, and MK with their superb mobility that can weave in and out of Link's range. I wanna say I can deal with them just like how Armada's Y. Link handles Hbox, but Link doesn't have the same kind of zoning capabilities.

(I don't need to know the actual MU's, I just wanna know how to deal with camping).

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
No exp. vs. Sonic/MK so I don't know how they'd camp.
To deal with camping, you just have to get in and mess people up, unless you can counter-camp the opponent's character. (Not Fox.)
Use your shield?
I dunno...

So, I'm MMing Eli and his crew at Apex. I require Spirit Bomb powers to help me body those scrubs.
plz and ty.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Don't give up stage control chasing after players who run away. Try to get them in the corner and throw your projectiles at them, and be ready to intercept their attempt to escape to the other side. I know this is quite a bit harder vs Sonic/MK. They're pretty much escape artists. It's a test of patience and how long you can stay on point. You'll need to be able to do both.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
You have my energy, Nick.

I'm good against aggressive Sonics but my friend's Sonic outcamps the **** out of me. His playstyle is basically tickle me to about 100% then BOOM, throws me offstage and I'm dead. Plus Sonic can edgeguard Link very well. However, I have outplayed plenty of Sonics before. I'll add my notes in the matchup thread.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I used to main Sonic during 2.5/2.1 (what a tier *****!). I've played him a bit in 2.6 and I do like him in 3.0, but I just like Link better. So I know some things about Sonic, but I've rarely played the Link vs Sonic match-up from the Link side. Sonic probably goes for a lot of spin shots (the move where he rockets upwards in his spin dash) to escape. Bombs don't work well vs his spin dash either because they actually bounce off his body. You should take Sonic to small stages, but avoid going to Smashville. The moving platform helps him way too much and will allow him to extend combos even further off stage against you allowing some pretty nasty gimps.

I actually think Smashville in general is a bad stage for Link because Link can't use the platform that well. We can't reliably camp underneath it, it doesn't help us much for recovering, yet it helps our opponents a lot. It's real bad to get caught on the platform near the blast zone because the ledge is so far away and the platform will leave by the time we get back with our slow recovery. Also allows our opponents a place to camp to avoid most of our stuff.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Meek's MK 3-stocked me twice today and I think this MU is almost like the Sonic MU except MK hits harder. The fact that MK is incredible in the air and can combo Link hard defines this MU. His tiny sword is more than enough to stop the rang and you would have to be precise with the bombs to lay hits on him.

Definitely a bad MU for Link, but not unwinnable. If you can pressure him into approaching with the mindgames, you can also punish MK well.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't think it's too bad, link has some pretty sick combos on MK, if anything it's slightly in MK's favor.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Wasn't MK buffed from 2.6b to 3.0? MK's seemed easier to fight back then, but of course Meek is significantly better than me Wi-Fi or not.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wasn't MK buffed from 2.6b to 3.0? MK's seemed easier to fight back then, but of course Meek is significantly better than me Wi-Fi or not.
No, there were no changes made to MK from 2.6 -> 3.0.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Hey, Hylian, are you going to focus on ICs now? Or will Link remain your main/one of your mains?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey, Hylian, are you going to focus on ICs now? Or will Link remain your main/one of your mains?
Link will remain my main. I've always had a few mains, which have been Link/Lucario/Lucas. I'm dropping Lucas for IC's.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
That's good to hear. On that note, who does everyone main here other than Link? Any Link purists? I main Link, ROB, and Yoshi. Not sure if that's a smart pool of characters from a competitive standpoint, but I definitely have the most fun with them and they're my best by far.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK vs Link is OK. Slight disadvantage, can be improved a tad with good stage choices. Bad stage bans/MK CP stages are pretty ugly though

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I like M2 and Roy(avatar) and I sometimes use Marth.

Don't really play competitively though.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I guess you can call me a Link purist because I don't really use anybody else in matches anymore. I know how to use every character and I find Ness and Zelda really fun, so that makes me less of a purist.

Blah I'm not one. xD

Vale

Smash Ace
I use Marth in tournaments, but I think I'm going to switch to Link after I get a bit better. After that is Mewtwo, and then a bunch of other characters I play in friendlies.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I main a lot of doodz in P:M. My main main (lol) is Marth, then Link, then Roy, then Lucas, then Ike, then DK, then Squirtle, then Charizard... Working on Mewtwo. He's a tricky one. Those are in order from best to worst.

Also for you @ Hylian Hylian , you'll be a lot more successful with Bomb Jumps if you let the bomb hit you from behind. AGT Bomb, Up-B Slightly Forward and then backward so that the bomb is in your back almost with the final swing. I guarantee you'll have at least a 98% success rate with it if you do it that way... This is from watching those tourney matches you posted last month (watched them trying to glean more of your awesome tech). I noticed you'd go straight up into the bombs. Not sure if that's changed since then (if it has you can just ignore this lol) but basically, do it exactly as you'd have to do it in Melee. Hope it helps!

Also critiiiiiiique! I wanna work on using Boomerang less. Any tips an' ting?

Some vidz of me playing a friendly tourney type deal with muh friends. You can see in some matches I've 'sorta' learned a few of your techniques haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y3Ux7991M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWazXebN23k

http://youtu.be/qrJkz1v_Te4?t=19m53s (Only that one match here. The rest I play Marth)

http://youtu.be/lvUpYodPp4o?t=20m11s (These last 3 matches)

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I main a lot of doodz in P:M. My main main (lol) is Marth, then Link, then Roy, then Lucas, then Ike, then DK, then Squirtle, then Charizard... Working on Mewtwo. He's a tricky one. Those are in order from best to worst.

Also for you @ Hylian Hylian , you'll be a lot more successful with Bomb Jumps if you let the bomb hit you from behind. AGT Bomb, Up-B Slightly Forward and then backward so that the bomb is in your back almost with the final swing. I guarantee you'll have at least a 98% success rate with it if you do it that way... This is from watching those tourney matches you posted last month (watched them trying to glean more of your awesome tech). I noticed you'd go straight up into the bombs. Not sure if that's changed since then (if it has you can just ignore this lol) but basically, do it exactly as you'd have to do it in Melee. Hope it helps!

Also critiiiiiiique! I wanna work on using Boomerang less. Any tips an' ting?

Some vidz of me playing a friendly tourney type deal with muh friends. You can see in some matches I've 'sorta' learned a few of your techniques haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Y3Ux7991M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWazXebN23k

http://youtu.be/qrJkz1v_Te4?t=19m53s (Only that one match here. The rest I play Marth)

http://youtu.be/lvUpYodPp4o?t=20m11s (These last 3 matches)
That is actually something I didn't know about/will try out, thanks! I will critique after apex weekend, way too busy atm.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to all the Links I personally saw on APEX's various streams!

InternetExplorer, Nick Riddle, Wolf, and Apollo Ali!

I learned a thing or two watching your guys' sets. :3

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to all the Links I personally saw on APEX's various streams!

InternetExplorer, Nick Riddle, Wolf, and Apollo Ali!

I learned a thing or two watching your guys' sets. :3
I killed myself on every stock vs Rat on the last game :(, first big tournament being on stream, nerves got to me

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So with links AGT up to up B recovery does it go away after your up B gets staled? Sometimes when I'm trying to recover using that, links up B just hits the bomb away instead of it exploding on him. I can't tell if its something with up B being stale or my timing is just off.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
It might just be your timing that's off. It's the same thing with me. Kinda strange that Link hurts himself using Bombs in order to recover better although it could be a connection to LoZ Speedruns. :p Maybe I'm just imagining things. lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If Up-B is too staled it won't destroy bombs.

Top Bottom