• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Match-up Thread

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Alright, Link vs Diddy.

Link has the ability to keep Diddy out very well, so Diddy will be reliant on naners to get through Link's projectile wall. Get really good at walling Diddy out, and wait for him to get frustrated and go for naners (or he might start with the naners).

If you can deal with the naners, you've got this. Before I get in to details, Link is remarkably good at edgeguarding Diddy. The projectiles can be used to "herd" Diddy's recovery, preventing him from jumping and side-B'ing on to the stage, and Grounded Up-B basically beats all non-sweetspotted recovery options and kills Diddy. Diddy will be forced to up-B, and will try really hard to get the sweetspot once you've instilled the fear in him, and you can use this to your advantage and edgehog or nair him and stuff. (If you nair his recovery, be prepared to tech if his barrels stagespike you.)

Now, the naners. Link doesn't have great naner control, as he doesn't have much of a glide toss, but he can still use all his projectile walling while tossing a naner around. Diddies tend to get aggressive once someone picks up their naners, because most opponents ham up and don't know what to do with an item in hand. Keep in mind that when holding an item, if you feel a sudden urge to do an aerial, you can just press Z the frame before you input your aerial and you'll drop the naner and do the aerial. So surprise Z-drop SH nair will often be pretty effective there.

The main thing is, take control of Diddy's naners, and either throw them straight up in the air (keeps them from disappearing longer) or drop them on the ground in front of you and play around them. Diddy won't be able to get to the naners easily because of all your projectiles, and he really can't get through Link's walling without the naners, so if you handle this right you'll get all kinds of free hits by reacting to how Diddy reacts to losing control of one of his naners.

Be prepared for glide tosses and AGT from Diddy. You main Link so you should be good at AGT.

Don't forget that you can Z-catch naners, particularly useful after they've bounced off your shield, and that wavedashing picks up items.

I think Link does really well in this matchup when played correctly. However, most people choke up with naner play.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Alright, Link vs Diddy.

Link has the ability to keep Diddy out very well, so Diddy will be reliant on naners to get through Link's projectile wall. Get really good at walling Diddy out, and wait for him to get frustrated and go for naners (or he might start with the naners).

If you can deal with the naners, you've got this. Before I get in to details, Link is remarkably good at edgeguarding Diddy. The projectiles can be used to "herd" Diddy's recovery, preventing him from jumping and side-B'ing on to the stage, and Grounded Up-B basically beats all non-sweetspotted recovery options and kills Diddy. Diddy will be forced to up-B, and will try really hard to get the sweetspot once you've instilled the fear in him, and you can use this to your advantage and edgehog or nair him and stuff. (If you nair his recovery, be prepared to tech if his barrels stagespike you.)

Now, the naners. Link doesn't have great naner control, as he doesn't have much of a glide toss, but he can still use all his projectile walling while tossing a naner around. Diddies tend to get aggressive once someone picks up their naners, because most opponents ham up and don't know what to do with an item in hand. Keep in mind that when holding an item, if you feel a sudden urge to do an aerial, you can just press Z the frame before you input your aerial and you'll drop the naner and do the aerial. So surprise Z-drop SH nair will often be pretty effective there.

The main thing is, take control of Diddy's naners, and either throw them straight up in the air (keeps them from disappearing longer) or drop them on the ground in front of you and play around them. Diddy won't be able to get to the naners easily because of all your projectiles, and he really can't get through Link's walling without the naners, so if you handle this right you'll get all kinds of free hits by reacting to how Diddy reacts to losing control of one of his naners.

Be prepared for glide tosses and AGT from Diddy. You main Link so you should be good at AGT.

Don't forget that you can Z-catch naners, particularly useful after they've bounced off your shield, and that wavedashing picks up items.

I think Link does really well in this matchup when played correctly. However, most people choke up with naner play.
This will be quite helpful for me when I actually have the chance to face Diddy's. I will keep it all in mind, when I head off to the fire of joining competitive known as Apex ^^;

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Thanks for clarifying.
I totally forgot this was the Link boards.

Okay, look at the chart again.

At charge point 2, Diddy can either sweetspot the ledge or die. He goes JUST far enough to sweetspot. If he turns at any other angle, he won't make the ledge.

As his charge increases his range, he will no longer sweetspot the ledge (because he will pass it), but he starts gaining these options (depending on his position)

* The stage (can be edgecancelled by pulling back)

* Deep stage, rocketing horizontally through you

* High stage, going over you

* The platform (if there is one)

He can't sweetspot cause he goes too far.

Now, you're freaking Link.

If Diddy has charged too long to sweetspot...grounded up-B at the ledge covers almost all of these options. It beats the stage and the deep stage option. It also beats the high stage option if Diddy is up-Bing from near the stage. And you can do it on reaction. So if you see him going high or for the platform, you can jump and nair.

And, since you're freaking Link, you can reduce his options further by throwing out projectiles that herd him. He can't go certain directions because hey, there's a bomb flying through the air that will hit him if he goes high.

Link makes Diddy's recovery very, very stressful.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This will be quite helpful for me when I actually have the chance to face Diddy's. I will keep it all in mind, when I head off to the fire of joining competitive known as Apex ^^;
Extra note: It's horrifying to get hit in this matchup.

Link does get kinda bodied if Diddy gets a good read, so make sure that if you get hit by a banana you tech the banana trip and mix up your techs. Diddy can upsmash Link like three times in a row and nair combo him. So if Diddy lands a naner and reads your tech...lolgetwrecked.

However, Diddy also gets bodied by Link's combos, because Diddy is a fastfaller. Pretend you're fighting Captain Falcon...they basically have the same fall speed.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Extra note: It's horrifying to get hit in this matchup.

Link does get kinda bodied if Diddy gets a good read, so make sure that if you get hit by a banana you tech the banana trip and mix up your techs. Diddy can upsmash Link like three times in a row and nair combo him. So if Diddy lands a naner and reads your tech...lolgetwrecked.

However, Diddy also gets bodied by Link's combos, because Diddy is a fastfaller. Pretend you're fighting Captain Falcon...they basically have the same fall speed.
*nods* I will certainly be careful and tech. I am good at teching of all things so that shouldn't be too problematic.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link has some of the best item control/banana control in the game. Not sure why you think glide tossing would make him bad with items. He has the best airdodge for catching items because of TC and one of the best item throw animations in the game.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Link has some of the best item control/banana control in the game. Not sure why you think glide tossing would make him bad with items. He has the best airdodge for catching items because of TC and one of the best item throw animations in the game.
Fair enough, I was thinking in terms of ability to control space. Link can't really use a banana in hand as an approach the way Diddy can, but the easy pickup and quick throws means he can quickly take control of them and they don't limit his options much (unlike, oh, Charizard).

My main point is, take control of bananas, and don't just chuck them back at Diddy. Either put them on the ground or the air and fight around them, or keep them in hand and save them for an OOS punish or Z-drop when necessary. Don't let Diddy get them back. Link has great tools to wall Diddy.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
*shrugs* Depends on how good you are with items. I'm so good with items I just instant toss them back at diddy whenever he throws them at me and then overwhelm him with his projectiles + mine while also approaching and cutting off movement options. That's a stylistic choice though, I don't think there is necessarily a correct way to deal with diddies items, it's all relative to how good the diddy is with items and how good you are with them.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I just keep the nanner in hand and spam boomerang and arrows. It's really fun to have an item in your hand that doesn't blow up.

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
Ok so im having some trouble with the Lucas MU. I Nair is great when they try to pk thunder but thats all I really know. When ever they get in I get comboed hard and I cant keep them out with rang cuz they can jest cancel it with pk freeze. so how do I keep a Lucas out, what are things in general that are good to do against Lucas, and are there any particular stages to counter pick against them? would love some help, thanks.

Fortress

Smash Master
Ok so im having some trouble with the Lucas MU. I Nair is great when they try to pk thunder but thats all I really know. When ever they get in I get comboed hard and I cant keep them out with rang cuz they can jest cancel it with pk freeze. so how do I keep a Lucas out, what are things in general that are good to do against Lucas, and are there any particular stages to counter pick against them? would love some help, thanks.
Same as the Falco matchup, but way worse for Link in my opinion. Avoid using 'rang if you can, stick to Z-air for safe pokes, and for the love of Sakurai don't whiff grabs. Try and keep him above you and pogo-stick him with uAirs. In my experience, Lucas is weaker above you than anywhere else relative to Link. As Link naturally struggles with pressure up close, Lucas (arguably the top character if not in the top 5 characters) is going to cause more than a few problems. Abuse Hylian Shield against PK Freeze, use nAir OoS to relieve pressure, and just get good at DI, really. I personally avoid heavy projectile use in this matchup since they take a while to prepare. Bomb when you get some elbow room, but don't count on 'rang for much in this matchup.

TL;DR: Skip boomerang, pick your grab opportunities, set Lucas up above you as much as you can, use uTilts/uAirs until you win (read as: play Smash 64-style Link).

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Same as the Falco matchup, but way worse for Link in my opinion. Avoid using 'rang if you can, stick to Z-air for safe pokes, and for the love of Sakurai don't whiff grabs. Try and keep him above you and pogo-stick him with uAirs. In my experience, Lucas is weaker above you than anywhere else relative to Link. As Link naturally struggles with pressure up close, Lucas (arguably the top character if not in the top 5 characters) is going to cause more than a few problems. Abuse Hylian Shield against PK Freeze, use nAir OoS to relieve pressure, and just get good at DI, really. I personally avoid heavy projectile use in this matchup since they take a while to prepare. Bomb when you get some elbow room, but don't count on 'rang for much in this matchup.

TL;DR: Skip boomerang, pick your grab opportunities, set Lucas up above you as much as you can, use uTilts/uAirs until you win (read as: play Smash 64-style Link).
I recall Hylian saying that the matchup heavily favors Link. Good to hear another perspective.

Fortress

Smash Master
It's not as if Link cannot do anything in the matchup, but it's not a particularly easy one, either. At best I'd say it's 6/4 Lucas's favor, but I can't believe that it's even or higher. Lucas's combo and pressure options up close are too stronk for our boi.

Fortress

Smash Master
Lucas is a pretty nifty weight class. But one advantage over a character a good matchup does not make.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think Link destroys lucas, and is lucas's worst match-up. I've never lost to one before.

Link can chaingrab lucas for a LONG time into a nair to get him offstage and then is super good at gimping him. Nair beats all of lucas's hitboxes except a perfectly spaced fair, and rang is super good against him.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Someone should post a video of Link pulling off the chain grab in tournament cause i really don't think it is reliable in the slightest.

KoolKai

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKai
3DS FC
0001-3357-5286
It's pretty easy to use on some characters like CF at 70ish percent and bowser around 40 percent but I do agree that it's very situational and usually not worth the trouble.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How is a chain-grab situational?
Situation: Grab somebody between X and Y %.
That's like saying every combo in this game is situational because they work from X move between Y and Z %

KoolKai

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKai
3DS FC
0001-3357-5286
I suppose...... I mean, don't get me wrong, I love using CGs, it's just sometimes I feel that there are better options rather than re-grabbing that could potentially lead to more damage or even a KO.

AthleticNerd93

Smash Cadet
How do yo counter MK chain grab. I try up DI by I still get stacked 40 damage before I get out of it

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How do yo counter MK chain grab. I try up DI by I still get stacked 40 damage before I get out of it
...He can only chaingrab you a lot if you DI up lol. DI down and away and tech.

Dott

Smash Ace
How do you deal with the Samus MU? I mean, no matter what i do she always can comeback. With Fox i can shine and that's it, but with Link i don't know what to do... usually just go and nair, but somehow she still can comes back...

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How do you deal with the Samus MU? I mean, no matter what i do she always can comeback. With Fox i can shine and that's it, but with Link i don't know what to do... usually just go and nair, but somehow she still can comes back...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRmrOOQgv4

Essentially, she will pretty much always recover. Just keep hitting her.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Go for ceiling kills. U-Air until you win.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Throw the rang only know if you're gonna hit him, cuz he can easily weave in and destroy you. I'd suggest bomb planting a bomb between you and him to intimidate him. Use the Nair a lot when he's in the air, cuz he's very vulnerable when he's not spinning. You should get a free kill when he's trying to recover vertically.

Fortress

Smash Master
Sonic's grab range is ****. The worst in the game. So, what you want to do: stand completely still, or hold down one position as much as possible. The match isn't going to be any fun for you if you're trying constantly trying to reposition against the fastest character in the game. Just throw out a jab when the inevitable spin comes in. Srs. Just throw out a light poke to knock him out of that spin. Despite what anybody here will tell you, Sonic actually has a pretty stellar recovery game, and can come back from quite a ways. He has more options for surviving off the walls than he does the ceiling, so setting him up for kills off the tip can prove effective. Side-B to escape you from above can be risky and put him offstage with no jump (since you have to use a jump to cancel it or keep on spinning), so upB will probably be his go-to, and even then he's only got one direction to approach you from; above. His options are homing attack, or a quick mixup dive with dAir, both of which your uAir beats out. Conveniently, uAir also beats out his other aerials.

Hilarious, but effective, Sonic recovering from below stage level is an absolute godsend. uB will only send him straight up, so feel free to throw out a Hail Mary dAir and get a free stagespike if they're not prepared to tech. And, who is ever prepared for Link diving offstage with a dAir.

I don't claim to be good at very much, but the arguably-best Sonic in the Northwest (Washington/Idaho/Oregon/Montana) happens to live in my town, is practically my roommate, and has been a part of the same small crew as me for almost two years now. Sonic's a rough matchup if you try and match his movement options with yours. Just buckle down, make him come to you, and you should be okay.

Top Bottom