• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in teams: Fight or Flight(Teaming with Pit)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Hookshot can be useful for grab + shoryuken thanks to its long range, that's the only shenanigan I can think of with Link and Luigi for now

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Another thing that may actually be of use is Luigi's Nair. It has a pretty standard straight up knock back and its fast. If Link can get above Luigi and an opponent, Luigi can send them straight into Links Dair. And Dead.

I also wonder is Luigi able to keep both opponents relatively busy? If so, Link could actually be used to his best potential as support.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well either way it seems like Luigi is done. On to

Soo once again a selection from Dekar's thread. This time much more informative.

Mr. Game & Watch: Punish Gimmick
Carry- 7
Stock Tank- 8
Punisher- 10*** (just pretend this is a 9 Zac )
DPS- 8
Good Offensive Support
Great Defensive Support
Absorber (Offensive)

As a Carry ... GnW isn't necessarily "the best" but looking at the scenario from an alternative viewpoint would tell you that doesn't matter- he kills his opponents BEFORE a clutch or lose situation is forced upon him, he's that good!

Stock Tanking as GnW can be retardedly easy (he's one of the best plankers in the game... ugh) and he's got a very difficult to punish moveset (not to mention 1 whiff of a kill move can mean a lost stock anywhere near 80% for GnW's foes!) AND he has the best bucket brake in the game! ... or it can be pretty **** difficult if your opponent has very good vertical kill moves and their partner gets a grab off on you.

Punish Moves:
•C-stick
•Touch your controller

For DPS, GnW has a plethora of moves that when connected just once, do about 15% on average (**** you Gaymanwatch,) some pretty reliable damage strings, as well as a tech-chase CG that allows for some doubles tomfoolery to ensue!

G&W's Gimmick is, of course, the bucket. 3 charges of moderately strong projectiles and you've got yourself the scariest, least punishable kill move in the game.

*** Judgment, usmash, fsmash, dsmash, freaking everything GnW has, kills. He is without a doubt the best punishing character in doubles, and it's no wonder he's regarded as one of the top doubles characters.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I team with a Link sometimes on Wifi. Team ain't bad, for GW there's better partners but for Link I seem to help out a lot. Uairing Link is an obvious one, not only for recovery but giving him an extra boost for chasing opponents with his uair, or keeping him in the air to avoid Dair lag. GW can actually duck under Link's Grab which makes for some cool stuff. GW has good aerial mobility to avoid projectiles and Dtilt is really good for keeping the edge clear for link to recover. As far as offense, it's a lot easier for me to kill than him and since link is campy I never worry much about accidentally smashing him, he's never in the way. And GW can use bombs for Glidetossing>Smashes, granted it's hard to pull off in doubles but just saying. I only play with him occasionally I usually play against him though so that's all I got.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Naw, but I figure any stage that's normally good for Link should be Okay, GW is good basically anywhere. I can see Yoshi's island sucking for both Link and GW so avoid that I guess.

That's just an assumption though, I assume FD and SV would be best. FD for obvious reasons, SV because it's like FD but gives Link and GW more recovery options because of the platform and also gives link more room to camp (The guy i play doesn't really use it a lot though, but SV is my favorite stage so I work the platform a lot)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Its no surprise he doesn't make use of it. Most of the people in the Link boards here just hate that platform. For me personally its just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. It must have some sort of grudge against me...

Anyway G&W has 2 great ways to help Link recovery. Up B to allow Link to catch a ride on the trampoline type thingy, and up air to push Link higher. Also i dont really think G&W needs help recovering unless somehow messed up by the opponents.

Only sad thing about this pair is that G&W and Link cant take advantage of the bucket... I demand energy arrows. lol.
Though also could you imagine if there was someone who could absorb explosions only. Completely counter Snake but also make the deadliest teammate.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think this team would work very well. Game and Watch imo could be one of Link's best partners. I haven't tried this team though.

I imagine getting through Link's interference issues would be easy for Game and Watch.

Roles

Link's should be agro and try and deal as much damage as you can with his long range projectiles and moves. Once the opponents closes in GaW can cover and help reset the situation. This team shouldn't have trouble killing.

Stage Picks
I'm not too sure what are some good GaW stages. Link like's big stages.

Team Work Strategies
You could do some gimmicky things like hovering with Link's Dair with Game and Watch's Up air underneath you.

General Tips

Ranking
7/10

Special Notes

It's not much input, but it's better than nothing.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Just to let you know im ranking it with 10 being Link's best teammate. So im leaning more to atleast 8 or 9

Rizen

Smash Legend
PS1 seems Like the perfect stage for this team, good size, platforms, border size, and it doesn't limit either character or present team attack risks. G&W has wicked air priority and good movement options, Link has good range attack stage control and can avoid edges and work with the changing terrain.
Halberd might be good if G&W doesn't die too soon?

Both characters can setup great team combos.
G&W Dthrow- Link can Dsmash if G&W misjudges a teck chase. Link Zair/Bair or G&W Bair turtle> partner smashes or Link Dairs. G&W Dtilt> whatever. One partner jabs the other punishes the opponent's DI (note, Link can Fsmash through G&W's short jab reach so Dsmash/Utilt is safer). There's a lot of things.

I suggest G&W move around a lot and Link more or less hold his ground. G&W's fast enough to react and punish and Link's slow but with good range on every attack. Link can't adapt to G&W's situations fast enough, G&W can with Link.

To momentum cancel, this is good for most teams, don't Dair use Bair. Dair can easily kill G&W with a team attack. Dsmash and Utilt are always great Link moves in teams.

I rank this team 10/10 as far as Link teams go. G&W is his best partner. Keep in mind I'm saying that without experience with every character.

IYM!

Smash Lord
G&W is a good partner, we can do damage and he will kill, a simple strategy but efective.
I realized that the Luigi topic did not last long, its time to change or is to soon yet??

out of topic-
To be honest these concepts "Carry", "Stock Tank"," DPS", "Punish", and "Support" are new for me, and i realy dont know what mean and how to use in a conversation with all of you

sorry for bother with this, i only want learn more and be more usefull in this threat.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
G&W is a good partner, we can do damage and he will kill, a simple strategy but efective.
I realized that the Luigi topic did not last long, its time to change or is to soon yet??

out of topic-
To be honest these concepts "Carry", "Stock Tank"," DPS", "Punish", and "Support" are new for me, and i realy dont know what mean and how to use in a conversation with all of you

sorry for bother with this, i only want learn more and be more usefull in this threat.

Luigi was up for a total of atleast 9 days, 2 more if you add in the days in inactivity. Its not my fault no one wanted to talk about it. Hardly even the Luigi mains. Though there was more talk then some. Also if there's any stuff related to luigi you want to discuss go ahead. Just because the current discussion has changed, everyone's allowed to back track with some new information or something.

As for the Carry Stock tank DPS stuff. Check out the Link on the OP, the white letters in the red section. It goes over all those terms.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Luigi was up for a total of atleast 9 days, 2 more if you add in the days in inactivity. Its not my fault no one wanted to talk about it. Hardly even the Luigi mains. Though there was more talk then some. Also if there's any stuff related to luigi you want to discuss go ahead. Just because the current discussion has changed, everyone's allowed to back track with some new information or something.

As for the Carry Stock tank DPS stuff. Check out the Link on the OP, the white letters in the red section. It goes over all those terms.
9 days, wow, time goes fast

well, to be honnest i said luigi only to know more about him, i play with him in a few team matches.

and i prefer dont say anything about luigi now, this thread is well organised, i dont want spam it.

now i understant the team terms, thanks

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Soooooo.....

G&W with Link....

In a team battle....

Anyway i completely forgot what other people wrote and i dont feel like reading it now. Or what i wrote for that matter.

Both these characters can really work as stock tanks. Links weight and DI, and G&W with bucket braking. Both have decent DPS though G&W is probably better in terms of team. Link is probably just support mostly.

Lots of shenanigans with G&Ws Dthrow combined with Link and G&W high powered kill moves make for a deadly combo.

Uhh G&W best team mate period for anyone. SOooooo yeah. Awesome.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Uhh G&W best team mate period for anyone. SOooooo yeah. Awesome.
Wouldn't an MK+MK team omgwtfpwnhax!!1! any other team?

One question: G&Ws oil panic absorbs only energy projectiles, right? Would a bomb explosion be 'caught'? Or does that not count?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Maybe Pit's arrows. There is nothing G&W can absorb for link.
Aww, darn. I was hoping it'd be like ZSS and G&W, where ZSS just D-smashes into GW's bukkit (hyuk hyuk) and he releases the entire thing for 60% damage and an OHKO.

Edit: Although if GW did absorb 3 of Link's bombs, it'd be a measly 20% damage and...decent knockback, actually.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Link's bombs wouldn't work either. It only absorbs energy attacks. Just like the sticker only strengthens energy attacks.

As i said above im pretty sure there's nothing he can absorb from link.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
K well since is be dead again for quite a few days. I think its time to move on once again. Anyone has any characters in mind?

Also any last thoughts on G&W?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well i dont really like ROB... So ill go with ZSS since well i can see this team being a pretty awesome team. That and we did samus already. Soo

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Awesome, thanks!

ZSS is obviously a far more mobile character than Link is and her D-smash and paralyzer is a big pain to deal with, combined with Link's many kill moves could make this a very efficient team. Not to mention she has absolutely massive jumps so she could help Link get back up. Gimping her would be an issue for the gimpers because, to quote from ZSS boards, "good ZSS players do not get gimped often" and judging by the vids up, it's quite true. Her D-smash to Link's D-air to her U-air should be a guaranteed killer, given how truly great the knockback is on her U-air.

The only problem I see is ZSS actually teaming with Link. From Link's perspective, ZSS is a great partner. From ZSS' perspective, Link isn't so great.:urg:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Zero Suit Samus: DPS Gimmick
Carry- 6
Stock Tank- 6
Punisher- 6
DPS- 9
Amazing Offensive Support
Decent Defensive Support
Energy Projectile (Punish/DPS)

ZSS, who arguably has the best energy projectile (her dsmash for those of you who are unaware) is of course, an amazing teammate for characters who can abuse said attack. GnW, Lucas, and Ness can all abuse the dsmash to swing entire matches in their favor, so she's always a favorite to team with for those characters.
Yeah i could see ZSS doing some crazy stuff with Link. Also same could be said about pretty much anyone with Link.

Janne

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I see is ZSS actually teaming with Link. From Link's perspective, ZSS is a great partner. From ZSS' perspective, Link isn't so great.:urg:
Awww, I kind of agree with this :( Some plus sides I can see is that both have long range grabs. Both have good KO moves.

ZSS serves as an amazing teammate to have for almost any character due to her stun attacks(very useful support), good aerial game, good combos which can help setup other combos for her teammate, and good KO moves . Her decent recovery will serve to avoid having Link fall to his doom in case both are knocked off stage.

I'm just trying to help anyways. Other forum members are much more experienced and can shed better light on ZSS and Link teaming up.

Edit: I love the title thread by the way. It really suits the topic xD

solecalibur

Smash Master
Zss should be following the characters in the air for early uair kills or juggling while link stays on the ground making a wall for others

I friendlied with a link before in doubles and we set up a forward b (links) and I jumped over then I had a moving dsmash =D (Dsmash can combo into 28%+ guaranteed since it kills)

When both characters are recovering I recommence to go straight for it as zss has enough tools to get back on stage but leave the edge open as soon as you can (even if you eat a punishment)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
When both characters are recovering I recommence to go straight for it as zss has enough tools to get back on stage but leave the edge open as soon as you can (even if you eat a punishment)
When ZSS and Link are shot off a short distance away, ZSS can recover easily, as you said.

Suppose they're both knocked off a distance. ZSS' tether recovery is faster than most characters' up-B (including Link), so wouldn't it be prudent to have her tether recover first while Link up-Bs up to the stage?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Hiya Link boards! ;D Wow you guys have done alot with this thread ever since I started it o_O Very nice!

Uhm right from the get go i would give this team a 6 overall. Yes, ZSS is possible on of Link's best teammate but if you take into the fact of tournament viablility this team would fit perfectly into the "Not too shabby" part. It is a little above average since Link's power combined with something that can help him use them more is great. The Gale boomerang can be used greatly to help ZSS' air game. Also a thing about Link is he can camp and help keep ZSS' pieces alive while she goes out on a ramage with some camping support. With the right babysitting Link can actually be a pretty dag on good stock tank for ZSS. Combined their ground game is pretty sweet with the setups they can do. ZSS is a great DPS and gets them in killing % for Link easily but since his smashes are laggy he'll need help being able to use them at oppurtune moments. Dsmash helps wonders for this. Now Link mostly should be camping/stock tanking the entire match and ZSS should be doing most of the action while keeping an eye on Link. Sad to say but ZSS will be the heroine of this team while Link is the sidekick. I'd say this team needs to look out for Meta knight and Falco. Stages BRINSTAR IS AMAZING FOR THIS TEAM!!!! haha sorry I <3 Brinstar waaay too much. But I know it's one of Link's best stages and it is the same with ZSS. Link can camp here and it is air heaven for her. Uhm SV, FD, and I wanna say Norfair as well are also good stages. Stay away from stages that are like RC, GrGs, YI, and I also wanna say Delfino (;s)

This team is perfectly put as a 6 for tournament terms but if you are talking how good ZSS is for Link it's probably like a 9-10. However you might not be placing last with this team and might be an upset team overall ;O. It's not too bad.

Hope my input was relevant ^^"

Edit: Love the name ^_^

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lots of good input so far. Well except arizen... lol.

I was talking to a person who plays ZSS and she was saying that ZSS needs room to space. I thought ZSS was good at close ranges with her tilts and dsmash and what not.

Anyway i can see ZSS's Dsmash work into some sort of footstool jab lock set up in a 2V1 scenario

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I get the feeling this team would work really well. I'll give teaming with my local ZSS a shot, if I ever get to Brawl him again. :urg:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This team in a nutshell.

ZSS will be able to do almost everything for Link except KO. But that just means Link can use ftilt, fsmash1, dsmash, etc. to take care of that. So while ZSS covers the DPS, and probably stock tanking, too, Link can jump in with the KO power. All things considered however, ZSS can find KO power in any number of teammates that she won't likely find herself having to babysit.

In other words, ZSS is a 10, and Link is a 5.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
omg that pick is awesome for this team :laugh:

i'd give link a 6 though, he is the hero of time xD

but that's just imo.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
From what I can surmise:

ZS Samus: DPS
Stock Tank-5
Punisher-7
DPS-8

Great offensive and defensive support. Very minor interference with her plasma shot. Link plays the stock tank here and the KO-king while ZSS goes around dealing great damage to anybody even remotely around her. Keep in mind that while she may not have as many KO moves as Link, the ones she does have are very effective, with great priority and a good-sized hitbox.

If ZSS gets into trouble, Link can help by walling off the opponents with his projectiles. Although ZSS won't get into trouble and, even if she does, she won't really need rescuing. As with most of Link's teammates, she'll be doing the babysitting when (or if) needed. Getting back to the stage will be easier for ZSS than Link (who knew?) and if the Hero of Time gets into trouble recovering, a good U-air to his butt might help him 'recover high' (hyuk hyuk).

We done with ZSS and we move on or...not?

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
From what I can surmise:

ZS Samus: DPS
Stock Tank-5
Punisher-7
DPS-8

Great offensive and defensive support. Very minor interference with her plasma shot. Link plays the stock tank here and the KO-king while ZSS goes around dealing great damage to anybody even remotely around her. Keep in mind that while she may not have as many KO moves as Link, the ones she does have are very effective, with great priority and a good-sized hitbox.

If ZSS gets into trouble, Link can help by walling off the opponents with his projectiles. Although ZSS won't get into trouble and, even if she does, she won't really need rescuing. As with most of Link's teammates, she'll be doing the babysitting when (or if) needed. Getting back to the stage will be easier for ZSS than Link (who knew?) and if the Hero of Time gets into trouble recovering, a good U-air to his butt might help him 'recover high' (hyuk hyuk).
this team maybe works, Zamus dont have projectiles, exept for his B, and that will be helpfull to us, we will can make a better use of our projectiles.

i agree, with you Quirky

a good U-air to his butt might help him 'recover high' (hyuk hyuk).
out off topic, I LoL when I read this :laugh::laugh::laugh:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
i'm not actually part of this buuuut it would be cool to discuss Lucas/Link. I'm curious to see how that would go.

-gets back to his own character boards lol-

Ryos4

Smash Lord
K well we can do him after. Though if you have the topic already in the lucas boards we can go there.

Top Bottom