• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link has some nice SBs (OP updated to compare Walking vs SBing)

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
*Update- I added a video to compare Walking vs. SBing

Comparing Walking and SBing

Since I have a crappy video editor, instead of overlaying the clips to compare each different movements I used time mode and measured the times.

First I compared the walking slide, the pivot boost, and the SB. The times are measured according to the walking slide distance(pivot boost covers the same distance as walking slide, the SB goes further).

Walking Slide: .60 sec.

Pivot Boost: .70 sec.

Smooth Boot: .50 sec.- You'll also see I note the total distance of the SB and time (1.77 sec.).

*This data shows that the crouch does indeed increase speed and distance (however only by .10 sec).

Next I compared Dashing, Walking, and SBing(across FD).

Dashing: 2.15 sec.

Walking: 2.65 sec.

SBing: 2.63 sec. (This was hard to achieve, times after 5 tries were in between 2.63-2.85 sec.)

*This data shows that Walking and SBing is not too much slower than Dashing (roughly .50 sec.). As far as deciding whether to walk or SB across FD, Data shows that SB is barely faster than walking (roughly .02 sec), however achieving the faster time is difficult to do.

Conclusion:

-For moving shorter distances, the SB is better compared to walking because it is faster and goes farther than walking and pivot boosting. This is best for approaching an opponent and then following the approach with an attack

*However, pivot boosting allows you to attack during the whole duration of the slide,
which means you attack during your approach.
*Walking slide allows you to attack half of the total distance, meaning you approach for
the first half and attack in the second half

-For moving longer distances (such as across FD), Walking is better compared to SB because it is much easier to achieve the fastest time(unless you really care about the .02 sec difference). However, mastering a combination of both movements may be the most beneficial.

Differences between Pivot Boost/ Craq Walk vs. Smooth Boot

"The Smooth Boot has nothing to do with pivot techniques. It has to do with the phenomenon of Link's sliding momentum due to walking. The crouch captures the momentum from walking and allows Link to slide and then attack."

To explain the video, the fixed camera angle parts show and mark the different distances each technique creates. Each related technique begins in the same spot:

-For the Rev Pivot Slide/Rev Pivot Boost/ Rev SB, the techniques begin with Link's backfoot at the tip of the Diamond on the stage.

-For the Craq Walk/Craq Walk + Rev SB, the jump occurs at the middle of the Diamond, and the pivot occurs at the tip of the Diamond

-For the Pivot Boost/Pivot Boost + SB, the techniques occur at the very left end of the stage.

Also for each demonstration, be sure to note where Link ends in relation to the stage

Hopefully this will clarify things

Link's SBs video

Link has some nice SBs (Smooth Boots). Here's how to use them.

THE SB(Smooth Boot):
-tilt control stick all the way forward towards the direction Link is facing. Walk, don't dash.

-Once he takes his first step with his left foot and is starting to bring his RIGHT foot forward, move the control stick diagonally down, and then let go of the control stick. Timing the crouch will determine the distance and smoothness of the slide. You'll hear him take his first step and then hear him crouch.

Effect: The crouch will cause Link to slide a short yet noticeable distance. This is similar to a wavedash. Link can also do anything after doing this, also similar to the wavedash*except shooting an arrow(Thanks Crow!).

THE REVERSE SB:
-Done the same way as the normal SB, except the control stick is tilted BACKWARDS.

-Timing the crouch is different from the normal SB(I believe it's sooner). You'll hear Link pivot and then crouch.

Effect: Same effect as the normal SB, except Link will slide backwards. This is closely related to the Pivot boost, however, people who have the control stick on for jumps are also able to do this. This is probably more useful compared to the SB, in that it is a good counter against an approaching enemy(Rev SB + FSmash(c-stick)).

*In doing the Rev SB, you apparently do not have to crouch to get the sliding effect (Thanks 4Serial), yet if you're a hardcore Melee nerd like me you prolly will crouch to show off to all the other characters that you can "wavedash".

This can be the next wavedash, as it is the closest thing so far to it. I'm naming it something else though because it is done differently, and only Link can do this. Just like the wavedash, the usefulness of the SBs is situational, it's just another trick Link can do. You can change the name or whatever. Watch the video, try it out. Tell me what you think.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Pretty cool, but it doesn't look very useful... but then again, I don't use Link.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Agreed. I've only got it to work in a couple of games with my friends. I found the shield roll to Rev SB + FSmash to be the most effective. As I said, it is very situational, yet just cool to know of. Maybe someone can find a use.

Legan

Smash Lord
It looks to me that your just pivot sliding and then crouching. I dont really understand the point of crouching when you could just do a full pivot slide and get more distance out of it. This isnt a new technique but that was a nice video.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
ha yeah it prolly is a pivot slide then a crouch. But i noticed timing the crouch will cause link to slide. Also, when moving forward then crouching (the SB), you don't need to pivot to cause the momentum, it has do with the first step Link takes. I found that worthy of pointing out. Thanks, I did enjoy making that video, it's been awhile since I've made one ha. If ya'll agree with Legan than that it's all g.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Since I was using Link to make the Comprehensive Brawl Input Guide, I noticed this while testing if you could crouch while pivoting (and yes, you can, though you can't pivot while crouching). Link kind of bounces up and down while he walks, and depending on where in the walking animation you stop you'll slide different distances.

What I didn't like about it is that you're timing to match the animation; to use it effectively you have to keep track of how long you've been walking, or else deliberately start walking indending to do this from the start. The former is more information than I care to keep track of; if anyone can, that's awesome. The latter is a bad idea in general, leading to mechanical play and predictability.

Anyway, there is one very minor correction to make to your OP. While standing up from your crouch, you cannot immediately shoot an arrow (neutral B gets buffered and waits until you're fully standing). All other moves are good, though.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
ah interesting. Yeah the timing is what makes this hard to perform. It took awhile for me to get the timing. I found that listening to the foot steps helped with the timing. There's a specific rhythm you have to get into. Although not too useful it's another thing you can throw in with your playstyle to mix things up. Link has like how many different tricks he can do now

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
This is pretty cool, its looks like a wavedash too, but not as versatile. I guess you can use it as a extra distance kind of thing.

Legan

Smash Lord
I just watch the vid again and Im starting to see where your coming from with this. While i dont think the forward SB is very practical, the reverse SB to fsmash came out pretty fast. I can see that being pretty useful in certain situations. ya 1:10 to 1:11 was smexy. GJ

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Yup same exact way i feel about the SB and rev SB. The Rev SB worked really good for me when I rolled behind an opponent. Of course, the opponent would turn around and try to follow with attack, however, I slided(Rev SBed) away to avoid the attack, and followed with an FSmash. It worked too because it was quick. The next situation I had where this worked somewhat was when an opponent was dash attacking me. This was harder to pull off though because it's difficult to perform at the right moment. I'm sure everyone experiences these situations frequently, it's another option you have at your disposal.

Legan I'm expecting to see that in your next Link Pwnage video ha. I'm sure you can make that work.

O and if any hip hop heads were wondering the song's from the legendary J-Dilla (R.I.P.). It's called Body Movin' from The Shining. Go cop that album (end off topic advertisment here)

D

Deleted member

1. my brother has been doing this since brawl's launch

2. its useless

3. the "reverse smooth boots" is a pivot boost

this is extremely old news. its like you just gave pivot boosting a new name

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
"1. my brother has been doing this since brawl's launch

2. its useless

3. the "reverse smooth boots" is a pivot boost

this is extremely old news. its like you just gave pivot boosting a new name"

ha aight well thanks for the constructive criticism. I think you mean pivot sliding. Pivot boosting is where you have the jump function turned off on the control stick and you start off crouching then rotate the control stick in an upwards circle towards the direction you're facing and crouch again. This causes a large slide in the direction you're facing. I just saw it recently in the brawl tactics section somewhere. Your attempt at looking like a professional smash master was successful. I'm not trying to claim to be the first person to find anythin like this, I'm just trying to find ways to help with Link's game. If it's already been found, then aight cool it's been found no hard feelings ha chill man. I'd like to see how useful your bro found this to be and if he can shed more light on this.

Legan

Smash Lord
If i find time to play some brawl tommorow than im gunna test this out. If this works the way im hoping it does, than it should be a good occasional replacement for links ****ty *** dodge roll.

D

Deleted member

I think you mean pivot sliding. Pivot boosting is where you have the jump function turned off on the control stick and you start off crouching then rotate the control stick in an upwards circle towards the direction you're facing and crouch again.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4

i used this video to correct everybody in that thread, he was doing it wrong and i told him the correct way

I'd like to see how useful your bro found this to be and if he can shed more light on this.
he uses it as a taunt and as a sandbagging approach (kirby makes a squeaking sound when he crouches, and his crouch is really low)

Legan

Smash Lord
Nice video Arkive, But if you watch the video at 1:10-1:11. He wavedashes backwards without doing a full pivot. He just turns arounds and slides, which is alot faster than doing a full pivot boost.

D

Deleted member

Nice video Arkive, But if you watch the video at 1:10-1:11. He wavedashes backwards without doing a full pivot. He just turns arounds and slides, which is alot faster than doing a full pivot boost.
The Craq walk works because of the turning animation when landing. The crouch has nothing to do with it as my video has shown (no distance added or lost.)

The pivot boost works the same way as the craq walk, but it moves you forward. You tap back so then when you hold forward the turning animation makes you slide.

This technique is just a retreating pivot boost. The first turn in the pivot boost doesn't super power your momentum or anything, it just allows you to slide forward. By just holding backwards you cut out the jump (craq walk) and back tap (pivot boost.)

Craq walk = Pivot boost = Smooth boots

I wonder how many more times i'm going to have to stop people from renaming the same technique over and over again T_T

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
nice vid and nice clearin up the pivot boost. What I found is different tho. To do the pivot boost, you have to pivot to slide forward. With the "SB", you don't need to pivot. You walk 1 step forward and crouch. It looks like the same thing, but done differently. And when facin your opponent, how do you do a reverse pivot boost? The only way is to turn backwards, then turn foward, the turn backwards again to slide. I think Legan is saying that what I found is faster, as all you need to do is turn then crouch. Also, I just tested out the pivot boost + crouch + attack, and it does add increase the slide compared to just pivotting + attack. If you wanna just call it pivot boost + crouch, then that's fine with me. Just try it out. Kirby's crouch sounds like a dj scratch ha that's dope. Unfortunately I'm sure you and everyone will keep dealing with renaming ish ha. At least I didn't name it the OW walk ha. It's all g tho I think there's more specific "ATs" in brawl than Melee now

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
After more experimenting I find the pivot boost more effective for a forward approach and the Rev SB more effective for a backwards approach. What do y'all think? Agree or Disagree?

Izaw

Smash Ace
It looks pretty neat. It can probably be used at some small situations, but I just can't see myself using this. I mean I rather do other stuff since the "Craq walk/Pivot boost/Smooth boots" seems not fast enough and completely defenseless. I mean look at 1:10, if you would have done that Smooth boost to F-smash, the other Link would already have f-smashed you first, cause even if the first swing missed, the second swing would hit him.

But I could be wrong, unless you could record a real match while using this effectly. Untill then, I won't bother with it really :p.

Legan

Smash Lord
It looks pretty neat. It can probably be used at some small situations, but I just can't see myself using this. I mean I rather do other stuff since the "Craq walk/Pivot boost/Smooth boots" seems not fast enough and completely defenseless. I mean look at 1:10, if you would have done that Smooth boost to F-smash, the other Link would already have f-smashed you first, cause even if the first swing missed, the second swing would hit him.

But I could be wrong, unless you could record a real match while using this effectly. Untill then, I won't bother with it really :p.
Well link is the only character in the roster with a double forward smash, but against any other character that would have worked fine. Link boards needs to open their minds a bit and be willing to try out any new technique that is thrown our way. Im not going to knock this off just yet because I dont want to regret not learning something that could potentially help progress this character even further.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I wonder how many more times i'm going to have to stop people from renaming the same technique over and over again T_T
I think the answer to that is until someone comes up with a name which is sufficiently better than the horrid "craq" thing that the new name sticks. Seriously, what does craq mean? If it's someone's name, I've said before, naming things after people is a terrible idea. People who don't know the person in question have no reason to remember that name.

I don't like the ring of "Reverse Smooth Boots," either, unfortunately. I guess we're stuck with a load of craq for the forseeable future. Me, I'll be using the term "pivot boosting" even where the craqqy term technically applies.

But I don't think either term actually describes the forward-walking-animation related crouching slide - anyone happen to know if any other characters do it, or if it's already documented anywhere?

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
haha I actually agree with ya Crow! I thought of SBs because of those Nike SBs shoes. And when watching Link do it I thought it was smooth, and I would watch his boots to time it. Then out came Smooth Boots. I was thinking the crouch walk, but crouch sounds too much like crotch. Whatevs tho as long as we're all on the same page ha.

As far as other characters the slide is not too noticeable except for Fox and Luigi(you don't need to crouch). The difference with Link tho is that he slides farther and transitions smoother

D

Deleted member

a sliding dsmash is not useless

But I don't think either term actually describes the forward-walking-animation related crouching slide - anyone happen to know if any other characters do it, or if it's already documented anywhere?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4mfLxW9vYU4

0:55, 1:35, 153

uploaded may 27th

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
"a sliding dsmash is not useless"

I can agree with ya on that one. Works especially when you're approaching an enemy that tries to roll behind you. The sliding dsmash puts you in a position to follow the roll and attack

Keep em creative juices flowin we'll find where we can go with this

D

Deleted member

Your bro is pretty ruthless with kirby now that I remember lol. He handed me my *** the first 2 rounds we played but around the 3rd i caught on to em and he became alot easier. Hes still got a nice kirby though.
you should play him when he's not sandbagging @_@

0-death combos are all too easy for him lol....

Legan

Smash Lord
you should play him when he's not sandbagging @_@

0-death combos are all too easy for him lol....
Im sure hes got some nice 0-deaths but im all too familiar with them. Ive played better kirbys them him as well. Try playing against a kirby that aerial camps and youll know what i mean.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
It looks to me that your just pivot sliding and then crouching. I dont really understand the point of crouching when you could just do a full pivot slide and get more distance out of it. This isnt a new technique but that was a nice video.

Umm do you ever try using the shield versus Wolf or Falco's laser? When you crouch it auto shields 100% so, a sliding shield is pretty beasty, it can be useful versus those chracter types

D

Deleted member

Umm do you ever try using the shield versus Wolf or Falco's laser? When you crouch it auto shields 100% so, a sliding shield is pretty beasty, it can be useful versus those chracter types
umm do you ever try power shielding? Link's hylian shield is useless, not to mention that his shield is usually too low to protect from falco's shdl

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
How well does Power shielding work at the wolf's laser, i bet this could be better, well i dunno if you came sliding at him like that he'd probably just fsmash you, power shielding is probably much safer, and could lead into doing a lot more damage....

D

Deleted member

i don't even know how to respond to that because you started an argument and then backed out of it all in one swift motion

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Must.... LEARN!! It looks so cool. Not so useful but cool!
I use it as a taunt at my Melee friends who hate brawl because of not having the wavedash ha. That's a good use for it. It's really easy to do tho it's a lot easier than doing Melee Link's wavedash.

SA2Jeff

Smash Apprentice
OH WASSUP

haha took me forever to find this oliver, but nice vid. just wait till i get better at brawl..but lets play melee

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
hahah SUP JEPPree. Aiight I'm down for melee too just let me warm up. you can't handle my unorthodox brawl Link in melee haha j/p. Effin brawl i have to adapt to melee again.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Well, as fancy as it may be, I would like to give it a small try...

But honestly, the only circumstance I can imagine this being useful, would be when you're being approached, and well, I have a much easier solution to that. Just walk away a couple inches so that they miss and do a Fsmash in the opposite direction while walking... I mean, unless I'm missing the point, I would assume that what I do works just as well, and as far as I'm concerned is easier to input.

Arkive: I officially love your brother's Kirby for using the crouch sound effect as a taunt. :D That's what I do with him too. rofl

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Walking away may also be useful, but the crouch which causes the slide moves you away faster than just normally walking away. And it's not that much harder to do, all you're doing is adding a crouch after turning around. But either way, I agree with you in that avoiding an approaching opponent would be the most effective use with this.

Top Bottom