• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Frame data already? Dang.

Just got back from a local SmashWiiU party! Repped Link all night. It was my first time playing Sm4sh but I still won the tournament they held. I'm liking Link so far but there are quite a few things I'm still getting used to. VERY much looking forward to spending lots of time in the lab.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
10k views on this thread. Whoop whoop.

Any1 here available to do a few matches or so with me right now? If you can't, that's ok. Also, i can't really communicate through voice chat on Skype due to lack of headset, but I can type in the chat. Probably won't be really active in the group if I join, though, but I'm kind of interested.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
10k views on this thread. Whoop whoop.

Any1 here available to do a few matches or so with me right now? If you can't, that's ok. Also, i can't really communicate through voice chat on Skype due to lack of headset, but I can type in the chat. Probably won't be really active in the group if I join, though, but I'm kind of interested.
I'm down if you don't mind playing against a bit of a scrub lol

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
so this is a bit of a relief, smash4 wii u still has bombsmashing with link/tlink from both the demo and brawl.

Lets hope nintendo doesn't patch this like they did bomb cancelling......

Performed exactly the same way, hold the A button during the animation of link pulling out the bomb and/or after a roll, and use the C-stick to Fsmash. Will Fsmash with bomb in hand.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I had found it already and was going to post it, but then Blubba said he would include it in his guide so I didn't. Not sure if he has yet or not.
Well it wasn't posted so I posted it. *shrugs

I'm disappointed that Link doesn't have faster attacks than in Brawl. Zair only doing 6% rather than 10% sucks too. He seems to have more reliable multi-hit attacks and less lag on moves like grab and spin attack at least. The important thing is his mobility is better and that will help support his entire spacing game.
Link still isn't a rush down character and we need to treat him like the spacing/frame trap character he was in Brawl. He does seem much better at that this time and his offstage game will be improved too from the jump, tether and upB boosts.

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
Not liking the game so far. Still feels a lot like brawl but they tried to do a Balanced |Brawl approach and took out a lot of things I found fun although there is now hitstun.

Projectile game seems a lot worse and I hate not being to ledgeguard. A lot of my game was off the stage even though we had terrible off stage game I always found it fun to ledgehog people. Is "smooth boots" still a thing? I can't seem to execute stuff right atm. I did pick up on the pivot smashes, and bombsmash still in effect. Can't seem to do the wall bomb recovering trick as it seems to just bounce off the wall. DACUS is out as well as re-tethering right? I want some new tech so it doesn't feel like the same game patched.

As for the actual feel of the game doesn't feel to different although I need some adjusting or maybe not play on an hd tv. Curious about how the wii-u is affected by that hd lag and how much of my control issues stem from not touching any smash or not touching the wii u or how much controller differences there are. Managed to snag up the last GC adapter, but wonder how the new controllers compare, particularly the Hori controller.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^The Wii U is a HD system so it must be played on a HD TV. But there shouldn't be any lag.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just got everything running up to speed and am now able to record full matches from wii-u smash in 1080p at 60FPS. I can render and upload any replays in the some of the highest quality available on youtube, so either send me your replays (pm me your ID) or pm me a download link of your replay and I'll have it up asap.
Here's my own personal test of quality so you guys know what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYzQfF0Z-e8

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Hey guys, just got everything running up to speed and am now able to record full matches from wii-u smash in 1080p at 60FPS. I can render and upload any replays in the some of the highest quality available on youtube, so either send me your replays (pm me your ID) or pm me a download link of your replay and I'll have it up asap.

Great stuff, it looks incredible! Now I really can't wait to play myself. (My internet can't even handle the 1080p.)

MooCow of Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
MooCowOfJustice
This game's ****ing awesome. I still love me some hot Link action. Although this time around Bowser is super fun too.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Just to let you guys know, my 3ds is gonna be offline for this week because I'm taking a family vacation in Branson, Missouri.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Geez louise Zane, that some good stuff. You would mop the floor with me lol. For the record, I just picked up a capture card that records at the same specs. So if you ever get loaded down with replays let me know and I can lend you a hand.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I went for a walk and when I came back a homeless guy was going through the dumpster at my apt. I walked by and went in my place and thought maybe I should give him something but I didn't have much here and nothing readily available. Then I though I could give him $5 but I hesitated because 2 homeless guys had gotten in a knife fight in the parking lot by my place before. Now it's too late and i feel bad :crying:
I usually give people money who ask for it because I see them sleeping by the bike path when I jog at night or in the early morning.

:(

PS
I made this thread to keep wifi stuff all in one place. Can a mod please sticky it?
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-gauntlet-wifi-match-finder-and-mu-training-thread.379427/

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
We need more mods in here. Also, don't feel so bad about that.

Legan

Smash Lord
Hey guys, long time no see. I can say forsure that im not going to get into this game as much as I did brawl. It gets a little harder to find time for all of the traveling now that im 25. That being said, Ive played the game and enjoyed it for the most part. They dumbed down alot of links gameplay so hes going to be way easier to pick up for new players. They buffed the hell out of alot of his moves tho which is pretty cool i guess. Im not gunna bother buying a wii u since i dont care for half of the games for it but Ill be playing occasionally with friends and i might attend a tourney or two. Ill be lurking around most definitely. Ill be looking forward to the techs you guys can discover. If you manage to find some good ones than i promise to do my best to find effective ways of implementing them in competitive play.

Also, I hate the timer on links bombs, like seriously they blow up in my hand in like 2 seconds

Last edited:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I made this thread to keep wifi stuff all in one place. Can a mod please sticky it?
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-gauntlet-wifi-match-finder-and-mu-training-thread.379427/
Don't think it needs to be stickied. But I'll sticky it for a short time for some beginning advertisement for the thread.

Now a thread that we need and would be stickied is a Metagame Thread. I'm hoping that instead of making threads like this: http://smashboards.com/threads/bomb-down-throw-how-to-use-it-effectively.379337/ they can just be posts in the metagame thread. And all the good posts would be compiled in the OP for easy viewing.

Let me know if you're interested in doing that!

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
That sounds like a pretty good idea! Our thoughts, ideas, and techniques contributing to the meta are pretty much scattered throughout the boards. This is a good way to concentrate all things meta in one place. If everyone agrees on this, i'll get the content from the two "meta" threads i made and put them in the metagame thread. I'm expecting the discussion there to be great!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Woah lots of activity and lots of old Links. I like it. Sup Legan!
I'm enjoying the new Smash game a lot. Guys, Link actually feels legit for once! Gonna have to work on the bombs though, they've really changed those up.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Agreed, though I'm having the most trouble with spacing the new DA. I love everything about it and have gotten some sweet strings off it, I just seem to be overshooting or undershooting it a lot of the time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi Legan :b: I wish the bomb timer was longer too. I think bomb pulls might be faster to compensate at least.

Holy cheesepuffs Batman! The 1966 Adam West Batman movie is hilarious if you like campy things.

@ Scabe Scabe Thanks. BTW when does SSB4 for the Wii U launch in Europe and Australia?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hi Legan :b: I wish the bomb timer was longer too. I think bomb pulls might be faster to compensate at least.

Holy cheesepuffs Batman! The 1966 Adam West Batman movie is hilarious if you like campy things.

@ Scabe Scabe Thanks. BTW when does SSB4 for the Wii U launch in Europe and Australia?
The 29 of November :glare:. I think.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I'm likin link :)

However I feel his grab is to short!! Needs a little more distance to have a grab game. Thoughts on this?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
People don't like the shorter bomb timer? It makes recovering a lot easier though!
I wasn't saying they were bad necessarily. They're just different enough that it kinda messes with me a little, like not being able to press z to just release the bombs (they hit the ground without blowing up and Link also zairs), and always forgetting that if you blow someone up the explosion doesn't hurt you.

I think the grab is definitely improved over Brawl, but it's still a little too slow and has too much ending lag to be a huge part of his game. You'd better be sure you're going to connect if you use it.
This game's ****ing awesome. I still love me some hot Link action. Although this time around Bowser is super fun too.
Haha, Bowser is awesome in this game. He's one of my favorites to play this time around.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The shorter grab length is unfortunate but I agree with Huggles that grab is much better than Brawl over all.
I think the shorter bomb fuse is a mixed blessing. We'll need to reevaluate our bomb game and use more of them but the improvements to bombs make this fine.

Oh man, I'm watching Star Wars Revenge of the Sith for the first time. No amount of gifs can portray the DERP that is that movie :facepalm:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The shorter grab length is unfortunate but I agree with Huggles that grab is much better than Brawl over all.
I think the shorter bomb fuse is a mixed blessing. We'll need to reevaluate our bomb game and use more of them but the improvements to bombs make this fine.

Oh man, I'm watching Star Wars Revenge of the Sith for the first time. No amount of gifs can portray the DERP that is that movie :facepalm:
But

:seuss:.

In all seriousness, I did find the fight epic, though any fight involving lightsabers will always epic unless some how majorly screwed up.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I wouldn't be worried about a slightly shorter fuse length at all. A shorter fuse means a better recovery; either two up-specials or a tether after an up-special in a game where the ledge is always available means that Link will always recover unless severely gimped. Plus anyone who catches a bomb will be forced to shield/avoid it or throw it immediately and that's if it doesn't blow up as they are catching it. The only downside is that you are more limited in when you decide to throw the bomb, making it more predictable but also forcing you to be using more bombs, which is always a good thing.

Star Wars episode V was my favourite. Is anyone interested in what Disney will do with it?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The shorter timer is actually a HUGE BUFF IMO. Recovering is better and more pressure is created on the opponent. I actually managed to pressure someone into trying to reflect/absorb the attack, and I held it until they dropped theie guard.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Star Wars episode 5 is The Empire Strikes Back? Yeah that was a good movie. The original trilogy was good.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I understand Legan's point. A shorter fuse is a "nerf" in the sense that now when you take out a bomb, you have to use it iimediately. You can't hold it as before and thus always have that extra pressure of "when will he throw it". Now you take it out and you can max do one move, then you have to throw it. The other "problem" is that if you get grabbed or hit with the bomb in your hand, chances are that the bomb will explode while you're still holding it, thus giving you more dmg and potentially killing you.

On the other hand, a shorter fuse means better chances of using a bomb to recover, as well as a faster spam game since you have to be throwing them all the time.

It is arguable exactly whether it's a buff or a nerf since it does change our bomb meta entirely, and to me, that's a good thing. Personally, I like shorter fuses bettersince now bombs don't always explode when dropping them or throwing them to the ground and so havnig that bomb go off faster means we can take out another one faster.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I personally prefer the short fuses. There are so many things that can be done with bombs I really can't see why anyone would need to hold on to or juggle one for so long. Just be careful and manage your time; if it really comes down to the wire then bomb-shield, spot dodge, air dodge, or iBomb (assuming these all still work; my only experience with the game so far is one party/tournament, leaving no time for testing).

As for Disney Star Wars, I'm with KingBro: cautiously optimistic. This definitely means new life, new inspiration, and new activity, which can all be good, but they will certainly take it in a different direction than before. Whether this is a good or bad direction cannot be known until at least the first trailer/teaser. We shall see.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
What's this about 'shorter fuses'? When you zair drop the bombs on the ground, I find that they seem to stay out for quite awhile. Or do mean that they just blow up faster in general?

At any rate, Link's buffs are starting to become more obvious the more I see people online use him/the more I use him. His smashes all seem stronger (especially Fsmash), and Upsmash actually connects all hits now. Dsmash doesn't have as much kill power as the other two (I think), but depending on what part of it you get hit with appearss to have different properties. From behind him, Dsmash has a horizontal knockback similarly to Toon Link's in Brawl.

As for his weaknesses, I feel like the biggie is still recovery. Even with Up B having KO potential, the distance can still be detrimental for people who try to pressure you offstage. And Link still suffers the problem wherein if his back is to the edge, he has almost no momentum recovering.

Another thing is to find good approach options, because it seems like most of his approaches are telegraphed, therefore easy to shield and punish. Bombs seem like a staple here for mix ups, spacing, pressure, AND recovery.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What's this about 'shorter fuses'? When you zair drop the bombs on the ground, I find that they seem to stay out for quite awhile. Or do mean that they just blow up faster in general?

At any rate, Links's buffs are starting to become more obvious the more I see people online use him/the more I use him. His smashes all seem stronger (especially Fsmash), and Upsmash actually connects all hits now. Dsmash doesn't seem to have as much kill power, but depending on what part of it you get hit with seems to have different properties. From behind him, Dsmash seems to have a horizontal knockback similarly to Toon Link's in Brawl.

As for his weaknesses, I feel like the biggie is still recovery. Even with Up B having KO potential, the distance can still be detrimental for people who try to pressure you offstage. And Link still suffers the problem wherein if his back is to the edge, he has almost no momentum recovering.

Another thing is to find good approach options, because it seems like most of his approaches are telegraphed, therefore easy to shield and punish. Bombs seem like a staple here for mix ups, spacing, pressure, AND recovery.
Bombs now explode after 4 secons, down from 7 in Brawl. And yes, he has been buffed and his dsmash has different properties depending on when you get hit. His first hit has a vertical knockback and the 2nd hit a horizontal knockback. His dtilt's spike has also been buffed and is now more reliable (we've been testing it online with @LinkSpecialist).

And his recovery is leagues and bounds better, though still far from being the best in the game. However, coupled with the tether (which latches onto the ledge from a ridiculous distance) and his bombs he actually has a very strong recovery.

ALso, @ Rizen Rizen , serves you right for trusting a generic electronic store rather than a specialized one.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Link is actually very intimidating when gimping opponents offstage. His projectiles and aerials can pretty much shutdown recovery options when used properly. Anyone going to make the Metagame thread? I can't atm.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
@ Rizen Rizen I've been hearing those are selling like hotcakes! I'm glad I had to make the switch to classic controller pro last year. No adapter needed, here! The more I use it, the more things I see I simply couldn't do with a gc controller.

@ Elessar Elessar Super psyched to hear about the Dtilt! I was actually wondering about that just today, realizing I never got to test it during the (so far) only night I've gotten to play the game.

Top Bottom