• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Thanks for clarifying, El (:

And I like dtilt too, it can actually kill lol.

Also, how do you guys prefer to approach with Link? Even if you want to play strictly defensive, you're bound to have to approach sooner or later.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Thanks for clarifying, El (:

And I like dtilt too, it can actually kill lol.

Also, how do you guys prefer to approach with Link? Even if you want to play strictly defensive, you're bound to have to approach sooner or later.
Generally, I pull a bomb, throw Boomy, if they shield, jump back and throw it again, then chuck the bomb, then run and grab them. Other times I'll just space and zone them with Fairs, Nairs, and Boomy, pushing them closer to the edge.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I always approach with bombs and boomerangs. Especially down thrown air bombs.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I honestly haven't minded the shorter fuses on bombs. Of course, I was never one to hold onto one for very long so maybe that's why. I tell you what I love is the increased durability. The number of times I've picked up a bomb that my opponent shielded and chucked it at them a second time is through the roof!

Grab is definitely shorter this time around. That's one of the things I'll be showcasing when I get my comparison video finished. I'm still getting used to the new range. It sucks.

Star Wars is a bag of mixed emotions for me lol. I'm a bit of a "Han shot first" Star Wars purist. I have my limited edition boxset which has the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy and I'm very proud of it. My favorite is probably The Return of the Jedi (episode VI). As far as the new one goes...seeing was Abrams did for Star Trek gives me a shimmer of hope that this one might turn out alright. I'm just really don't want my Star Wars to get "Disneyfied"

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I think bombs having a shorter fuse is absolutely amazing. Mainly because they become more reliable for recovery purposes. You can also be more aggressive with them as well since you can use them to keep your opponent off of you.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Lol back on the 3DS version, I always had the habit of pressing the shoulder buttons when I landed with an aerial, which you guys pretty much know how I got. :p But yeah, I really see no point in messing around with the 3DS version now that everyone's moved on to the Wii U version. Outside of testing stuff out in training mode of course.

I'll be playing PM until I can get the Wii U version this Christmas, as I've said before. I won't be playing much PM after that though, so I might as well enjoy it for the time being. I'm really enjoying All-Star mode btw. Link, Ike, Marth, Roy and Ganon ftw.

Last edited:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Lol it's a social thread so I can say this. It's great to see familiar names in this thread. After I stopped posting in like 2008 2009 I still remember some of your names. #linkfamily

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Lol it's a social thread so I can say this. It's great to see familiar names in this thread. After I stopped posting in like 2008 2009 I still remember some of your names. #linkfamily
It's a shame you stopped posting before we finished this:

Yes, I ship Legan x Sook, wanna fight about it?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I've seen Sook like... once a year around YT or something, but he's basically vanished. Anyone heard from him?
I speak to him everyday almost on FB. He's vanished to not get any spoilers about Smash 4. He'll be back in a couple of weeks now that he has the game.

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
^The Wii U is a HD system so it must be played on a HD TV. But there shouldn't be any lag.
I'm gonna generalize some statements but you can refer to this link for actual info.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database

Full on HD TVs are gonna lag noticably, those Guitar Hero games on other HD consoles can attest to that. Generally fighting games are played on certain monitors instead of full sized HD TVs to minimize lag to an acceptable point.

This is what has apparently become the standard in the FGC. There are better ones listed but this is just an example.
ASUS VH236H - 8.3ms input lag (game mode) TN Film 23" 1920x1080 (A.K.A EVO MONITOR)
Most of the HD TVs listed there are at 16ms, but chances are if you're on a random HD TV it'll be around the 24ms+ range and that's not negligible.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
My 7 year old EIKI projector setup in my movie room takes about 0.3 seconds to display an action, which is pretty terrible. My VIZIO HDTV runs pretty smoothly, so I often use that more. I have to sacrifice the awesome surround sound, though. :(

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I have a 1080p JVC TV I always use and the lag is pretty much unnoticeable. I expect Sm4sh for the Wii U to run beutifully on it, so well that I'll likely spend hours just gazing at the pretty graphics when I have the game lol.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I just posted a thread regarding Link and Smooth Lander. If you have Smooth Lander, please check it out. I have a few things to ask.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm gonna generalize some statements but you can refer to this link for actual info.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database

Full on HD TVs are gonna lag noticably, those Guitar Hero games on other HD consoles can attest to that. Generally fighting games are played on certain monitors instead of full sized HD TVs to minimize lag to an acceptable point.

This is what has apparently become the standard in the FGC. There are better ones listed but this is just an example.
ASUS VH236H - 8.3ms input lag (game mode) TN Film 23" 1920x1080 (A.K.A EVO MONITOR)
Most of the HD TVs listed there are at 16ms, but chances are if you're on a random HD TV it'll be around the 24ms+ range and that's not negligible.
^that thread is also over 3 years old and the wii U is only 2 years old. The main reason Brawl lagged on HD TVs was the wii wasn't a HD system. If you're worried about lag it has nothing to do with the Wii U; get a newer TV.

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
That thread still gets updated. Not sure when the last time the front page has tho since I'm on mobile.

Now I'll concede I don't know much about the Wii U but Xbox360 and PS3 still get affected by that lag. If u ever do one of those guitar hero lag test u can see clearly noticable lag depending on your setup but if you're all willing to overlook that then continue on.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have a 40" Samsung LED (no idea on the specs tbh) and I have no input delay nor lag at all. This is strange though since I don't have it on my Wii either and I'm using the AV cables on it. That's infamous for having quite a noticeable delay, but I have nothing. And the game looks so damn beautiful I feel like crying every time I boot it.

So, not sure about other TVs or monitors, but I can attest that Samsung LED are amazing.

FSK

Smash Ace
Here, have an extra Like. You've earned it just by being you.
:D (If only I could make money the same way)

and thank you Mocha you are now in my members hall of fame.

Last edited:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
It's crazy to see so much activity in the Smash 4 Link boards now. It's such a big contrast from modding Brawl Link.

There's lots of new threads that get posted, and people contributing to the threads. So much new threads are popping up that some of the old useful stuff is getting pushed to page 2.

This thread is certainly popular, when I go to sleep and wake up, there's about 2 pages worth of new discussion. So hard to keep up with. It's also great to see some of the legends come back into this thread and say hi such as Legan and Deva.

And at the moment Link is being repped a fair amount at tournaments. http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-3ds.7/league/teams http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-wii-u.8/league/teams Ranking around 4th-7th in character usage.

Anyways this is just an optimistic post, hope the positive stuff keeps increasing.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Awesome.

Also @ Scabe Scabe , I wrote to Xiivi asking about the procedure to get another mod in here. I love you man, but as you said, now that we're active again having an extra mod or two would be handy. Could you also write to someone asking for that, since Ano is still MIA.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't really want to mod but I will if no other Link player who's been here long enough wants to. Several people here would be good mods, Zane, FSK and others come to mind.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
My candidates are actually @ FSK FSK , @ Zane the pure Zane the pure and you @ Rizen Rizen . I mean, it shouldn't just be someone who's been here long enough, but also someone active and who is knowledgeable about Link and what being a Link main entails.

Last edited:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah where is Ano? I miss him.

What about @CostLow for a candidate? He's done spectacular work on his threads here, I believe he'd be really good at organising things especially with mod powers. His posts seems pretty mature too.

Anyways it's open for discussion if we need another mod, perhaps we can do a poll with a list of candidates (but we won't use that as the final reason for picking). And then I'll pass it on to the higher ups. Anyways this process might take a while but it'll be worth it.

But then again I may think discussing candidates out in public is not such a good idea.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
But then again I may think discussing candidates out in public is not such a good idea.
This get a conversation going among the people you deem worthy Scabe and let's make this happen.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Honestly, I'm just glad we have an active mod. So many of the other character boards don't have any and it shows. Scabe's done an awesome job of keeping this place well organized.

That said, it's not fair that he should have to keep up with all this on his own. Especially considering how active we are. I give my approval for all of the people that have been suggested so far, if that's worth anything.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You guys can keep talking about candidates and reasons why they should be a mod. Then I'll start a private conversation with those candidates and eventually I'll forward all the evidence to the higher ups.

Evidence = previous posts maturity/friendliness/etc, stable personality, infraction history, contributing to the Link community by making good threads and helpful posts, answering questions members posts, the candidates reasons why they should be a mod, the potential for long term activity, post count, I'm sure there's more criteria to think about and take out, but that's what I have in mind. I'll say the more ticks you get the better your chance.

Hope that sounds reasonable.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
That feel when you can't nominate/recommend anyone for mod status because you haven't been on the Link boards in awhile to suggest anyone.

:(

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Don't go changing Elessar. Your constant "harassment" of the newbies never fails to make me laugh. :chuckle:
Oh you don't have to worry. While I'd love to be mod, I love trolling, flaming and hazing even more. I'd kill me to not being able to do that anymore :denzel:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I would like to be a mod because i have lots of knowledge behind Link and have contributed a fair amount to the boards, but idk how active i need to be. I come in throughout the days from time to time, but i'm really active At night. I am pretty flexible, I'll admit, since I can pick up things pretty fast.

Last edited:

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Psh, I barely visited these boards until recently and I don't post/make threads consistant enough to be even considered.

As much as I love these boards (as of recent times), I don't think I'd be a capable one. Though, the ones that were listed, I'd recommend.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
I don't want a new mod, I'm okay with waiting for stickies as long as we don't have to deal with another buzzkill. We've always been a self sufficient community that can self moderate, we are not infants in need of an extra pair of hands.

I nominate Elessar.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
So I had to rewire my Wii U back up just to get some Smash outta the system. Man, does it feel good to play Link!

Played just a few FG 1v1s and I gotta say, it does feel like there are several tier players out there. They don't simply pick characters because they like them, they pick them because there's a tier list.

Also,

"That's a Little Mac...

KILL IT!!"

~Me when I find out I'm playing against a Little Mac

Top Bottom