• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Why did you edit you question out of the post? Now my response looks eve more nonsensical than usual.
Well you DID technically answer the question. I posted it then realized that another post had pretty much covered what I had asked. I can edit it again if you want though.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well you DID technically answer the question. I posted it then realized that another post had pretty much covered what I had asked. I can edit it again if you want though.
Nah it's fine. Just messing around. Sleep deprivation and all.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
C'mon guys, it's late. Go to bed and dream about ponies. Or something.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
And this is why I nominated you. You are well versed in the old ways.
Essentially if picked, things are likely to be just like the Link boards of yore, where only those who have hardened their skin, heightened their senses, and done work may enter. May God have mercy on the poor hapless souls that wander into our midst.

And if the notion of that doesn't stop me from becoming a mod?

D

Deleted member

If I became a mod, then everyone here would be required to wear shades (on their avatars, not in real life).

EVERYONE. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I don't even think I'm in the conversation anymore (thank you Scabe for the recommendation) but if I was to be a mod I will definitely still be active for about 6 more months. Then... I will pretty much become incapable of sustaining that activity. My wife is pregnant with our first child, so once the little one pops out I'll be pretty much swamped with learning how to be a dad. It's not that I won't want to talk Sm4sh anymore, but I'll just be too busy with my family for a good while.

So, if you're comfortable with that time frame, I'd be glad to be a mod. Basically, I'd just try to keep things the way they are now but just keep an eye out for anything major that needs stickied or whatnot you know? Like everyone said before, the Link boards are troll infested, but we do a good job of maintaining order and relative cleanliness. The trolls are actually great at moderating the threads in a sense and the less abrasive members do a fine job of following the rules setup in each thread.

In my mind, a mod is here to simply make more useful threads more visible, and to make overly trollish threads go away.

With that being said, I'd nominate Powerstar. I'm all for a fresh face getting some power up in here. Change is good and the old way of Link is depressing.

EDIT: @ Demacrez Demacrez - Did you make that sig yourself? I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ CostLow CostLow Congratulations on being a dad :b:

Since Zane said he wanted to, I vote for him first. The other candidates, if they want to, are FSK and Elessar imo. If none of these Links workout, I'll do it.

Edit, I made <-this avi.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I don't even think I'm in the conversation anymore (thank you Scabe for the recommendation) but if I was to be a mod I will definitely still be active for about 6 more months. Then... I will pretty much become incapable of sustaining that activity. My wife is pregnant with our first child, so once the little one pops out I'll be pretty much swamped with learning how to be a dad. It's not that I won't want to talk Sm4sh anymore, but I'll just be too busy with my family for a good while.
Hey gratz man. I know the feeling since I'm a dad myself, have been one for 5 years now. You'll love it, even the bad parts, you'll love it. And yes, there are bad parts like in everything in life. But, it's all worth it, you'll love it.

So, if you're comfortable with that time frame, I'd be glad to be a mod. Basically, I'd just try to keep things the way they are now but just keep an eye out for anything major that needs stickied or whatnot you know? Like everyone said before, the Link boards are troll infested, but we do a good job of maintaining order and relative cleanliness. The trolls are actually great at moderating the threads in a sense and the less abrasive members do a fine job of following the rules setup in each thread.

In my mind, a mod is here to simply make more useful threads more visible, and to make overly trollish threads go away.
This here, this man knows what it's really about.

With that being said, I'd nominate Powerstar. I'm all for a fresh face getting some power up in here. Change is good and the old way of Link is depressing.
Aaaaand you lost me. Powertrip9 here isn't ready to be a mod yet. He's still unblooded. Also, you're just speaking nonesense after that. The old way of Link is the only way.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Hey gratz man. I know the feeling since I'm a dad myself, have been one for 5 years now. You'll love it, even the bad parts, you'll love it. And yes, there are bad parts like in everything in life. But, it's all worth it, you'll love it.
Thanks. I'm really excited about it all. I think I've actually wanted kids longer than she has.

This here, this man knows what it's really about.
I'm glad you see it that way.

Aaaaand you lost me. Powertrip9 here isn't ready to be a mod yet. He's still unblooded. Also, you're just speaking nonesense after that. The old way of Link is the only way.
I know he isn't a part of the old way and he's still relatively new to the Link boards but that's what I like about him. He's been through a little bit of that trolling, showed us what he's got via video, and has only added to the quality of the boards as we have them now. I think that says a lot about the guys that have joined the boards recently and haven't been scared away yet. Besides, whether most of the older members are mods or not, they (we) will still be around to tear apart people that don't belong here like before. lol

Edit: If Powerstar9 doesn't make it into any further discussion I would vote for Elessar and Rizen, in that order, because of their activity and knowledge combined with HEAPS of experience.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Edit: If Powerstar9 doesn't make it into any further discussion I would vote for Elessar and Rizen, in that order, because of their activity and knowledge combined with HEAPS of experience.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. And I vow to honor your vote by ruling with an iron fist and extreme prejudice .

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Why is this thread always active when I'm at work or sleeping? :facepalm:

@ Drunken_Master Drunken_Master I had so much respect for you and and you lost it all in one picture...

As far as mods go, my vote goes for Zane. I'm all for a "days of yore" board like we had on AiB. As entertaining as it would be to have Elessar as a mod, I don't think I'm ready to descend into madness yet. :laugh: And Cost Low doesn't need the responsibility of being a mod with a baby on the way (congrats man!)

FSK

Smash Ace
Zane and Rizen are probably the best candidates for mod.

Keep in mind that I get mad with power and cannot be trusted with responsibilities.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

EDIT: @ Demacrez Demacrez - Did you make that sig yourself? I like it a lot.
That's cool man. Thanks for nominating me.
I have managed to put up with most of the trolling that's happened here. I did peek at the ol Brawl Link boards back when I made my account, but generally avoided it because I knew I couldn't handle being there (and I mained TL and Lucas in Brawl, anyway). Over time, I have matured and learned what goes down here, and I have just gone with the flow. Thing is, I haven't become as hardened as you guys are. The big plus about my character is that I'm extremely flexible and motivated to do things. Give me something, and I will try to find ways to make it work. In order words, I'm willing to change. You guys have probably seen how much I've changed/matured throughout my posts and videos I have put up. I'm highly dedicated to Link, I want him to be much more viable than he ever was before, and I want there to be many Link reps. Recently, I've been very active on the boards (especially at night), and I hope it'll stay that way should I become a mod. New faces are always good because it shows our community is growing. Let's not scare them away: they need a chance to show off what they can do. I want these boards to be a place where people can learn about Link and be able to contribute. I will keep in mind all of this should I become a mod.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So much image editing talent makes me jelly. This is the best I can do:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
@ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken Every time I see one of you posts about becoming a mod, this is what comes to mind.
You are my bestest friend. I just died. I need this as my sig now. You deserve 1000 barrels of likes. :)

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I said you guys deserved the barrels. Never said you'd get them. Wish I could give them to you, though...

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Holy Crap Zelkam, you make us all proud. You're keeping the Link mains do work tradition alive. All the respect isn't enough. This should be included in Blubba's guide thread. This is very important info.

I find it particularly interesting how the changes are actually so small, specially concerning speed (there has been no change) yet Link feels better different. I wonder if it's simply a placebo effect, or just that, as we knew back in Brawl, Link only needed minor corrections to be a better character. The changes in game mechanics, like the extra hitstun and the new ledge mechanics, seems to favor Link this time around then.

I can't shake this, wary feeling I'm getting though. Seeing as to how both Links are actually more similar than I thought...I can't help but have a sudden tinge of fear.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Ya know, Brawl's environment and Sm4sh's environment are different from each other. Link's options were pretty limited due to having terrible recovery, laggy air attacks, and being easily trumped due to the Brawl mechanics. In Sm4sh, Link can actually make a comeback. Think about all the changes and traits Link has this time around:
-Air attacks have reduced landing lag
-Dair can now spike
-Reduced timer on bombs helps with recovery and speeds up his game
-Nair is still awesome
-Dash Attack can kill
-Tilts can kill
-Aerial Spin Attack hits connect better
-Zair is longer
-Grab is faster
-Fsmash1&2 link together
-Usmash link together

You may think these changes are "minor," but they all add up into one completely different Link. This opens up many possibilities that weren't ever possible in Brawl, more so thanks to the new Sm4sh mechanics. Just gotta think outside the box. :)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Holy Crap Zelkam, you make us all proud. You're keeping the Link mains do work tradition alive. All the respect isn't enough. This should be included in Blubba's guide thread. This is very important info.

I find it particularly interesting how the changes are actually so small, specially concerning speed (there has been no change) yet Link feels better different. I wonder if it's simply a placebo effect, or just that, as we knew back in Brawl, Link only needed minor corrections to be a better character. The changes in game mechanics, like the extra hitstun and the new ledge mechanics, seems to favor Link this time around then.

I can't shake this, wary feeling I'm getting though. Seeing as to how both Links are actually more similar than I thought...I can't help but have a sudden tinge of fear.
Thanks man, that means a lot. I wasn't able to help out much back on AiB because I joined so late. This time around I intend to contribute to the boards a lot more. And yeah, if anyone wants to include the video in any other threads, knock yourself out.

I have to say I was a bit surprised at how similar he was as well. When you watch it frame by frame, many of the moves are identical. But I do feel like the buffs and nerfs are well balanced. It doesn't feel like Link got the short end of the stick. Heck, the added height to our double jump and spin attack alone are huge.

Speaking of jumps, I noticed a small change that I found odd. Link jumps...faster. Like, he gains vertical height faster. I noticed it when lining up his short hop and full hop because they have the same height and his fall speed is the same, but Wii U Link would hit the ground first. It nothing major, but it's something. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well, the thing is that this is only looking at frame data regarding movement and attack speed. Taking this into account, Link has barely been changed. However, as Powerstar9 said, the properties of these attacks have changed. Knockback angle, speed, escalation, and damage, as well as the size of the hitboxes. The you have the changes in game mechanics like the increased hitstun, the increased landing lag on air dodge and the new Ledge mechanics. Finally, the changes on the other chars as well. It's when we take all of these factors that Link really begins to shine.

I love your video Zelkam, specially because it serves to back up something I've been saying. It's easy to pick up Sm4sh Link because he's so similar to Brawl Link, but that's also dangerous because people will try to play him link Brawl Link (I wrote about this on another thread) and this is a pitfall we must climb out of fast. It's good since it gives us somewhat of a head start when getting used to the new game, but we can't stay there.

I still can't get over your vid, lol. You blew me away.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
@ Zelkam Zelkam feel free to make a thread with the video since it will get more publicity.

Also do any of you guys look at the other character boards? I was wondering if there were any other boards that were well organized? Or if there are any threads that are really well done.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
@ Zelkam Zelkam feel free to make a thread with the video since it will get more publicity.

Also do any of you guys look at the other character boards? I was wondering if there were any other boards that were well organized? Or if there are any threads that are really well done.
Sure thing, boss.

The only other board I frequent is the Fox boards and it's pretty much a mess.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

The Lucina/Marth and MegaMan boards make me jealous. If @ CostLow CostLow can make an awesome/super confident thread and if @ Zelkam Zelkam can make an awesome picture of myself, then we can definitely make the Link boards a little more appealing. Title images and funny/epic pictures in the OP give it a bit more flavor and interest. We have the WiiU game, so there's lots of room for creativity.

DonSclario

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonSclario
3DS FC
1907-9441-5859
Hello. So yeah I'm new in these boards. Before the 3DS version I haven't play Smash since Melee where I used to main Link and Yink. Anyway I'm trying to become a better Link, been reading a lot around these boards but I got a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of information.

Thanks to the 3ds I manage to shake the rust off my Smash skills. My Link is pretty decent, but when I got the wii u version I felt like starting again. Maybe because I'm playing with the game pad atm. (still trying to get one of those GC controller adapters)

Actually I've been watching @ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken 's youtube and learned a few tricks from there. So yeah I think this is a nice place get some tips and answers from.

TL;DR
Hi I'm new here. Wanna get better with Link. Where do I start?

Top Bottom