• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Comboing was definitely harder with vectoring. It let you alter the distance you travelled as well as the angle you got hit, while DI only affects the angle.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So comboing should be easier now. That's interesting. NinjaLink just told me though that vectoring is still in the game, only weaker.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well, NL is thinking about making a vid showing that vectoring is still in the game. So I'd say to wait until he does it to prove that it's either in, or out. Meanwhile, just leave it out since that's what the data seems to show.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thinkaman seems pretty confident.
Me and Ampharos just tests Ganon u-smash and f-tilt online.

Holding down did not change the kill % of u-smash on FD. (~75%) However, holding to the side did, slightly.

Holding in did not change the kill % of f-tilt from the ledge. (~85%)

Currently testing holding up and down on Ganon f-tilt.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok, so NL reports that something seems off. As in, both are there, but they don't seem to work that well still, or something like that.

This is his video.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So... vertical vectoring only works for horizontal launch trajectories? I wish I could test stuff myself.
My current theory: DI is a thing as usual. Vectoring as we knew it is either wrong or replaced. Horizontal launch trajectories go further when holding up and less distance when holding down (for no reason that we are used to). Combine the two and that's what we have. What the hell? There's no way this could be right.

Edit: I agree entirely with the following post:
Speculation time:
DI was already in the game
VI wasnt intended to be in the game
Patch removed verticle VI, but neglected to remove it horizontally

Non speculation for those unaware, horizontal vectoring worked the same way in 1.02, most people just never bothered to look it up. Holding left and right already did nothing in terms of vectoring but did lead to DI. Holding up and down increased and decreased knockback on the horizontal plane respectively and also lead to DI vertically. And of course, up and down also increased and decreased knockback vertically.
So now when hit vertically or almost completely vertically, you go back to DI methods, but when hit horizontally, you need to factor in vectoring as well as DI. This means that if you are hit almost horizontally and hold the joystick upwards, sure you're DI up, but you'll also increase the distance you get hit! So usually you'd be better off holding down when hit horizontally, which in unintuitive as all hell.
It would also mean that combos are only easier vertically as we can still hold up and get hit further for horizontal attacks.
^ This is my current understanding of how things work after the patch, but of course, take it with a grain of salt as this is all based on observation and what I've read and in no way has it been tested personally. I'm sure an official thread will be made at some point.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Did Patch 1.0.4 open our eyes or something? I think we're starting to discover a lot of things that already were in 1.0.3, but there are still a lot of new things in 1.0.4. Time to reevaluate the meta, I guess.

"And thus, the Sm4sh scene continues to advance..."
upload_2014-11-19_21-55-6.png

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Well now I don't have to learn vectoring :)
I can't speak for the wii-u version, but vectoring is still a thing for horizontal trajectories.
Read my above post for more details.
Only, now I'm not so sure about the up and down thing; maybe vectoring works by holding left and right too, again, only for horizontal trajectories. So holding towards the stage is the way to go.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Just faced this scrub named Axel (Overlordaxel on Twitch). He happened to be a Link troll. On Asterisksrocks stream, he saw me fight the streamer multiple times and decided to challenge me in chat. I switched to troll mode and proceeded to wreck that little scrub. He was a pretty decent player. He tried to be flashy at times, and it costed him a stock. Those were some pretty amusing, awesome, and scrubby matches. :troll:
... Why am I getting déjà vu from this...?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Link trolls these days...

13 hours left! All aboard the hype train!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Reading up on that thread and watching NL's video about DI/Vectoring is making my head hurt. Everything seems up in the air now, but I'm sure we'll figure it out soon once we get our hands on Smash U.

Smash U....

I'm at work now, and I'll be at work tomorrow too. How will I be able to function, knowing the game is out and me not being able to play till I get off work? SHOULD I PULL AN ALL NIGHTER AND PICK IT UP AT MIDNIGHT? Man I wouldn't be surprised if I had like no time to play after tackling whatever huge lines will await.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I suspect the "hardcore" smash fans will camp around stores probably 2-6 hours before release. And they'll have no problem waiting that long (or longer even) since many of them will probably bring Smash3ds with them. Don't know if that's the case for your area, but if it is, that's tough.
Nothing will stop them...

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
You're in Texas too, aren't you? Yeah, you KNOW we'll be facing an army of people in line. I think I may just pull an all-nighter, and pick it up at midnight. And you're totally right about taking our 3DS there while waiting. I never appreciated my Smash 3DS as much as I do now.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Mocha Mocha Well, it's a good thing you're a coffee addict, isn't it?

@ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken It's from The Matrix dude, the Matrix. Don't tell me you didn't recognize it because the reference is too old for you.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm getting it for Christmas, so I'll just be analyzing Wii u Link a lot.
@ Elessar Elessar What if I told you the reason why I liked your post? That aside, I've only seen the movie once, but the fight in the subway is still vivid in my memory.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Lovely Matrix references, I remember the series like it was yesterday. I actually went to work in full trenchcoat/leather boots/fingerless gloves/shades for halloween this year. People thought I was the youngest and most out of place secret serviceman ever... They asked me how a 16 year old kid was walking around in all that and still pushing lines of 15 shopping carts at a time for hours out in the heat.

>.> "I'm actually 21, and I do even lift bro" Maybe I look young?

FSK

Smash Ace
Just wanted to let you guys know that "No to Link" is an anagram for Toon Link. Discuss.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Are the "No to Links" cracking yet? I kinda want to see them crack. If they do, I'll start cracking up (ba dum tssss:seuss:)

Edit: Eh, that anagram doesn't really have any "punch" to it IMO.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I think we all miss Rwan anyways, he was a pretty chill dude and didn't afraid of anything.
His Link was solid too, Thanks for sharing Mocha. <3
No problem, I enjoyed it too (:

And Rwan played Brawl? I knew he sounded familiar somewhat, but I wasn't sure. Hm, maybe he'll rekindle some interest with Smash 4 coming up

FSK

Smash Ace
No problem, I enjoyed it too (:

And Rwan played Brawl? I knew he sounded familiar somewhat, but I wasn't sure. Hm, maybe he'll rekindle some interest with Smash 4 coming up
Yeah, Rwan used to hang out in the AiB brawl Link forums.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I paid off my pre-order for Smash Wii U last weekend. Probably gonna run by gamestop on my lunch break tomorrow and pick it up so I don't have to fight rush hour traffic when I get off. I can't wait to play smash with a GC controller again.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
:4link:WiiU game is OUT. Get those images and videos rolling in. Time to see how good Link is in this game.:4link:

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
1 hour 15 minutes for me. Unfortunately the game cube controller converter things aren't out yet; that's going to cramp my style for a few days.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
1 hour 15 minutes for me. Unfortunately the game cube controller converter things aren't out yet; that's going to cramp my style for a few days.
Time till I get smash bros wii u: When ever I get a job ie probable near the start of next year. It sucks :(.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^:(

Well I walked over and got SSB4 and a Link Amiibo. $14 is kind of a rip off but they work with many games and learn and grow. The trick is to not get them too high a level or the figure will get off the stand and kill you in your sleep.

I'm waiting for the wii u updated to finish...

Edit, wow these controls are really screwing with my head. My muscle memory is so grafted to game cube controllers that I keep trying to jump with the right stick of the Pro controller (where X and Y were) and it's set to smash. The store didn't have the game cube controller converter so I'll have to wait for the next shipment.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I tested it out for 3 matches this morning before coming to work, and the controls were also messing with my head. I've never really used the GCC, but it's the joystick sensitivity and the positioning of the buttons, minor stuff. I'll have to relearn these controls just like with the 3DS.

Also, is it just me, or does the game feel fast.

Top Bottom