• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have the hard copy on a metal case still. Wondering if I should buy the digital just in case something happens to the physical, but I probably won't. The metal case is so sexy.

Also, I couldn't bring myself to finish Other M, so Samus is unspoiled in my mind.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
God, Other M is such a tragic tale. It was going to be the next Super Metroid! Why!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I believe it's on sale til Feb 4th, but don't quote me on that.
Cool. I'll take a look when I get back. Never played the Prime trilogy so I might have to give it a shot for 10 bucks. I have Prime 3 because it was my roommate's and he gave it to me when he bought the trilogy. Too bad I don't have the first two.
Also, I couldn't bring myself to finish Other M, so Samus is unspoiled in my mind.
Never played Other M at all, so same here. Super Metroid is just amazing. Fusion was also solid.
God, Other M is such a tragic tale. It was going to be the next Super Metroid! Why!
Nothing will ever be the next Super Metroid. I still play that game all the time on Virtual Console.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I have the hard copy on a metal case still. Wondering if I should buy the digital just in case something happens to the physical, but I probably won't. The metal case is so sexy.

Dang it Ele, I had almost convinced myself that the digital version was a good idea. You're not helping.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Metroid Prime... Aw Man, just as good as when I first got it. Even better, I love the Wii controls surprisingly. Just got to Magmor Ruins.
Oh and @ Zelkam Zelkam and @WolfieXVII
When you get Metroid Prime, play the sound with a surround sound stereo, it is one of the best gaming experiences you will ever have.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Dang it Ele, I had almost convinced myself that the digital version was a good idea. You're not helping.
Oh get over yourself and just buy it. You won't regret it and I don't need another Sook in my life.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't know half the people in the Zelda social anymore :c

Wiimote controls are awesome for FPS games. They work great with all 3 metroids. I hope the next Wii U Metroid is in the Prime style with wiimote+nunchuk controls.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Other M doesn't turn my stomach so much, rather it exasperates me. It had a lot of potential and had a half decent team working on the gameplay, but it all got flushed down the pipeline when someone gave decision making abilities to a ******** gibbon. I also blame it for some of the Zelda fanbase's current idiocy. My favorite metroid is Prime since Super doesn't really do anything for me.

Anyone around here play any of the Phantasy Star Series? I was playing Eggman's mean bean machine the other day when a friend recommended I play one of the old one's, so I started PS2 and am thoroughly enjoying it in between Smash and Metal Gear Rising.
Also, Red Sun is best theme.:cool:

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I really only played Phantasy Star Online eps 1-3. I dabbled in C.A.R.D (terrible imo) and Phantasy Star Universe (excellently fun but removal of character creation offline kind of sullied it for me a bit). Are the older ones good at all? I've considered playing them but from the few screenshots I've seen... I dunno man.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Well I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy because I wasn't gonna spend 50 dollars on a used game that doesn't even have the cool metal case. Gamestop and their 10 billion copies of the game that they cranked up the price on, can kill themselves.

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but I actually really liked Other M. There was only one small part I didn't like but for the most part I found the entire game to be very enjoyable. It also established what I had theorized all along, and that is that Samus just a mentally broken person.

Metroid Prime 3: All your friends have been taken over by corruption, instead of trying to help them or find a way to exorcise Dark Samus, just kill them all. No remorse, no regrets

Metroid 2: Genocide an entire species... no problem! Oh but a baby! YAY!

Super Metroid: Wipe out an entire planet and every living being on it, alright. Gotta save these like 5 little animals though, huehuehue

Metroid Fusion: A computer that contains the personality of my dead former commander, but was created by the GSF (not to manipulate you Samus, for realz) tells you to ram the space station into a planet, completely destroying both. There will be no consequences for this action.

Anyway, she's insane.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Well I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy because I wasn't gonna spend 50 dollars on a used game that doesn't even have the cool metal case. Gamestop and their 10 billion copies of the game that they cranked up the price on, can kill themselves.

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but I actually really liked Other M. There was only one small part I didn't like but for the most part I found the entire game to be very enjoyable. It also established what I had theorized all along, and that is that Samus just a mentally broken person.

Metroid Prime 3: All your friends have been taken over by corruption, instead of trying to help them or find a way to exorcise Dark Samus, just kill them all. No remorse, no regrets

Metroid 2: Genocide an entire species... no problem! Oh but a baby! YAY!

Super Metroid: Wipe out an entire planet and every living being on it, alright. Gotta save these like 5 little animals though, huehuehue

Metroid Fusion: A computer that contains the personality of my dead former commander, but was created by the GSF (not to manipulate you Samus, for realz) tells you to ram the space station into a planet, completely destroying both. There will be no consequences for this action.

Anyway, she's insane.
She's a survivor of a massacre who witnessed her parents, was adopted and raised by an alien species who raised her to be a warrior and then promptly died when she left to reconnect with her species, which by the way abused and used her so much that she left them and became a bounty hunter, aka, a killer for hire (she never arrests anyone). I thought that insane was a given.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
She's a survivor of a massacre who witnessed her parents, was adopted and raised by an alien species who raised her to be a warrior and then promptly died when she left to reconnect with her species, which by the way abused and used her so much that she left them and became a bounty hunter, aka, a killer for hire (she never arrests anyone). I thought that insane was a given.
The difference is that I was fine with the insanity she displayed in Other M, while most people are not. Also the gameplay was fun.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Don't read this if you like Other M:

IMO if Other M had been an independent game and not part of the Metroid series it would have been okay but still not great. The problems were around how it broke character on several levels and didn't live up to the standards set by the Prime games.
Graphics and level design were a big step backwards. The game was artificially lengthened by forced walking/slow down areas, first person while being held style fights and detective scenes. It also came after the Prime series and had no excuse for the worse textures, lighting and hallway style levels (I sort of feel this way about Skyward Sword too but less so). I found myself moving in combat by tapping the control stick repeatedly to auto dodge pretty much every attack without thinking. Missiles were tedious to use. The 2D/3D combo style didn't work imo.
Samus became an unlikeable pansy. Her freaking out when seeing Ridley, even though she'd defeated him in some form or other at least 3 times already, is like if Batman freaked out after seeing the Joker. The plot focused around uninteresting and unlikable characters and wasn't very good. The whole traitor thing seemed shoehorned in since you didn't get to know the squad besides Anthony (iirc) and Adam. The Prime games didn't have great plots but they weren't plot driven.

Team Ninja does okay making over the top flashy, suggestive style games but they cannot make a serious game for the life of them. I'm glad they didn't work on the next Zelda game.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I dunno, I thought the gameplay of Other M was fun (except the forced walking), but I just completely blocked out the story parts.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Don't read this if you like Other M:

IMO if Other M had been an independent game and not part of the Metroid series it would have been okay but still not great. The problems were around how it broke character on several levels and didn't live up to the standards set by the Prime games.
Graphics and level design were a big step backwards. The game was artificially lengthened by forced walking/slow down areas, first person while being held style fights and detective scenes. It also came after the Prime series and had no excuse for the worse textures, lighting and hallway style levels (I sort of feel this way about Skyward Sword too but less so). I found myself moving in combat by tapping the control stick repeatedly to auto dodge pretty much every attack without thinking. Missiles were tedious to use. The 2D/3D combo style didn't work imo.
Samus became an unlikeable pansy. Her freaking out when seeing Ridley, even though she'd defeated him in some form or other at least 3 times already, is like if Batman freaked out after seeing the Joker. The plot focused around uninteresting and unlikable characters and wasn't very good. The whole traitor thing seemed shoehorned in since you didn't get to know the squad besides Anthony (iirc) and Adam. The Prime games didn't have great plots but they weren't plot driven.

Team Ninja does okay making over the top flashy, suggestive style games but they cannot make a serious game for the life of them. I'm glad they didn't work on the next Zelda game.
I agree with most of this.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
What do you mean?
This is gonna sound like a huge invitation to flame and lambast, so do as you please (no hard feelings) and remember that you did ask.
This series is absolutely fantastic, I like every single (official) game and a strong majority of the spinoffs. The fanbase itself isn't even bad at all (cough Final Fantasy cough Sonic), but some widely held opinions have begun to exasperate me more than I care to admit. A feeling that leads me to believe the fanbase is contributing to a very slow (not necessarily super pressing) but noticeable stagnation in the series as opposed to yearly rehash games that are actually guilty of these criticisms.

Foremost I hear a lot of people criticize Ninty for adhering to a formula and being too afraid to deviate. Forest Temple>Fire Temple>Water Temple rinse'n'repeat game after game, and that's sorta true. The layout started in the original has been a starting point for every game, but people all over start to complain about things that seem "foreign" to the Zeldaverse

Secondly, I get tired of people citing poor dub jobs, and personal character interpretations as the key reasons LoZ should never have voice acting. Link was mute until ALttP where he had a single hit grunt, and OoT gave him a bit of variance in tone for attacks/damage/expression. Voice acting was impractical up until the N64/PSX era and even then few utilized it in any meaningful or effective manner. We're a couple generations later and still no modest attempt? Nintnedo are probably too scared to death to try it because of every whiny little pansy with a keyboard (irony) will yell at them and leave nasty letters in their gym locker.

Eh I sorta burnt myself out actually, I might continue in the future, but I'd need to sum up the rest of my thoughts a little more concisely.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is gonna sound like a huge invitation to flame and lambast, so do as you please (no hard feelings) and remember that you did ask.
This series is absolutely fantastic, I like every single (official) game and a strong majority of the spinoffs. The fanbase itself isn't even bad at all (cough Final Fantasy cough Sonic), but some widely held opinions have begun to exasperate me more than I care to admit. A feeling that leads me to believe the fanbase is contributing to a very slow (not necessarily super pressing) but noticeable stagnation in the series as opposed to yearly rehash games that are actually guilty of these criticisms.

Foremost I hear a lot of people criticize Ninty for adhering to a formula and being too afraid to deviate. Forest Temple>Fire Temple>Water Temple rinse'n'repeat game after game, and that's sorta true. The layout started in the original has been a starting point for every game, but people all over start to complain about things that seem "foreign" to the Zeldaverse

Secondly, I get tired of people citing poor dub jobs, and personal character interpretations as the key reasons LoZ should never have voice acting. Link was mute until ALttP where he had a single hit grunt, and OoT gave him a bit of variance in tone for attacks/damage/expression. Voice acting was impractical up until the N64/PSX era and even then few utilized it in any meaningful or effective manner. We're a couple generations later and still no modest attempt? Nintnedo are probably too scared to death to try it because of every whiny little pansy with a keyboard (irony) will yell at them and leave nasty letters in their gym locker.

Eh I sorta burnt myself out actually, I might continue in the future, but I'd need to sum up the rest of my thoughts a little more concisely.
The thing that bothers me is that the Zelda Fan-base always calls the newest game "Awful, or "disappointing" and then a few years down the road it is praised by the same said people, calling it a gem of the generation. This has been prominent since Ocarina. They said this about Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and now, Skyward Sword. It's not till the next game they finally realize that all these games are amazing. This even happemed with Zelda II way back when, now it's praised because it's different. I don't see why some fans are so consumed by nostalgia that they can't enjoy the new installment of the series.

Sorry for the rant but I'm really tired of these types of occurrence within the Zelda fan-base.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

I agree actually, a big chunk of the fan base are stupid, but hen again this is true of most fan bases. Anyways, I'm not sure I'd like voice acting since it'll give Link personality and he's not supposed to have one, like Gordon Freeman. Link is supposed to be a hollow vessel where we project ourselves, not a character we are reading about. So I would be ok with voice acting for everyone but Link.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I agree actually, a big chunk of the fan base are stupid, but hen again this is true of most fan bases. Anyways, I'm not sure I'd like voice acting since it'll give Link personality and he's not supposed to have one, like Gordon Freeman. Link is supposed to be a hollow vessel where we project ourselves, not a character we are reading about. So I would be ok with voice acting for everyone but Link.
My thoughts exactly.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It still wouldn't hurt to try it at some point. TBH, Link not talking is just another convention like any other in the series, such as the ones they're breaking in Zelda U. I'd love to see Link speak so long as the do it right.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It still wouldn't hurt to try it at some point. TBH, Link not talking is just another convention like any other in the series, such as the ones they're breaking in Zelda U. I'd love to see Link speak so long as the do it right.
They've tried it and it failed (in the cartoon series and the CDI games). Link should remain mute. There are some conventions which don't need to be broken and this is one of them.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
The very reason Link is named Link is because he is functions as the player's link to the world. The instant you give him a voice he ceases to be that link and becomes his own character. I'm all for innovation, and I'm certainly not against the idea of voice acting in future games. Giving Link a voice, however, is one that I stand firmly against because it would change the fundamentals of the Zelda franchise.

They've tried it and it failed (in the cartoon series and the CDI games). Link should remain mute. There are some conventions which don't need to be broken and this is one of them.
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess!

Last edited:

Jasudin

Smash Apprentice
In Your Alert Box, Increasing the Amount of Alerts
NNID
sushiramen8811
3DS FC
4768-7740-0434
The thing that bothers me is that the Zelda Fan-base always calls the newest game "Awful, or "disappointing" and then a few years down the road it is praised by the same said people, calling it a gem of the generation. This has been prominent since Ocarina. They said this about Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and now, Skyward Sword. It's not till the next game they finally realize that all these games are amazing. This even happemed with Zelda II way back when, now it's praised because it's different. I don't see why some fans are so consumed by nostalgia that they can't enjoy the new installment of the series.
This man speaks truth.

I concur.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I just want to see a Zelda partly set in our present or future already. In fact, my main gripe is that here we have a series that is about the hero of time and has multiple time travelling plot devices, yet they have never fully taken advantage of this. I just want to see more Chrono Trigger/Stein's Gate nonsense going on in the Zelda universe. So far in all of the Zelda games, there has been no travelling into the distant future whatsoever. The furthest we've gone is seven years into the future. Every significant leap has been to some time in the past and the games have only dealt with some very basic time travel theories and paradoxes.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
In case you didn't read, I said that they could pull it off if they did it right. Also, I wish you guys were a bit more open to things. Who knows, you might actually like a game where Link can speak. And in any case, Link is still just a name like any other. Whether it was given for a reason doesn't stop Link being unable to truely speak from being just another convention.

Last edited:

Jasudin

Smash Apprentice
In Your Alert Box, Increasing the Amount of Alerts
NNID
sushiramen8811
3DS FC
4768-7740-0434
In case you didn't read, I said that they could pull it off if they did it right. Also, I wish you guys were a bit more open to things. Who knows, you might actually like a game where Link can speak.
These are the Link Boards after all.
Well, it may take a couple eons before the impingement upon the Zelda series from CDI completely dissipates.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just want to see a Zelda partly set in our present or future already. In fact, my main gripe is that here we have a series that is about the hero of time and has multiple time travelling plot devices, yet they have never fully taken advantage of this. I just want to see more Chrono Trigger/Stein's Gate nonsense going on in the Zelda universe. So far in all of the Zelda games, there has been no travelling into the distant future whatsoever. The furthest we've gone is seven years into the future. Every significant leap has been to some time in the past and the games have only dealt with some very basic time travel theories and paradoxes.
I just want a SteamPunk Zelda.

Geez, that image is huge.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually, Link was the hero of time in only one game, and only two games have time travelling plots. Hardly enough to justify what you suggest as you do.

In case you didn't read, I said that they could pull it off if they did it right. Also, I wish you guys were a bit more open to things. Who knows, you might actually like a game where Link can speak. And in any case, Link is still just a name like any other. Whether it was given for a reason doesn't stop Link being unable to truely speak from being just another convention.
Yeah, because it totally matters whether we are open or not because Ninty is waiting on our approval to make it, right? So us being open actually matters towards that game being made or not. We can hate it all the way to the grave and it won't affect an ounce of whether it gets made or not so what difference does it make that we don't like the idea? Everyone hated WW when it came out because of the graphics and mocked it yet now it's loved by all and it got a freaking HD rerelease.

We can hate the idea of a talking Link while you pray for one, neither one will matter in the end. Meanwhile, you want a talking Link? Here you go.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Actually, Link was the hero of time in only one game, and only two games have time travelling plots. Hardly enough to justify what you suggest as you do.

Yeah, because it totally matters whether we are open or not because Ninty is waiting on our approval to make it, right? So us being open actually matters towards that game being made or not. We can hate it all the way to the grave and it won't affect an ounce of whether it gets made or not so what difference does it make that we don't like the idea? Everyone hated WW when it came out because of the graphics and mocked it yet now it's loved by all and it got a freaking HD rerelease.

We can hate the idea of a talking Link while you pray for one, neither one will matter in the end. Meanwhile, you want a talking Link? Here you go.
That entire argument is completely moot lol.

Top Bottom