• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Actually, Link was the hero of time in only one game, and only two games have time travelling plots. Hardly enough to justify what you suggest as you do.

Yeah, because it totally matters whether we are open or not because Ninty is waiting on our approval to make it, right? So us being open actually matters towards that game being made or not. We can hate it all the way to the grave and it won't affect an ounce of whether it gets made or not so what difference does it make that we don't like the idea? Everyone hated WW when it came out because of the graphics and mocked it yet now it's loved by all and it got a freaking HD rerelease.

We can hate the idea of a talking Link while you pray for one, neither one will matter in the end. Meanwhile, you want a talking Link? Here you go.
And that's why he doesn't speak.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, Link was the hero of time in only one game, and only two games have time travelling plots. Hardly enough to justify what you suggest as you do.
Manipulation of time has always been a staple for the Zelda series though. Ocarina of time is the obvious one, but there's Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, and even a little in Twilight Princess for that one dungeon. There seems to be nothing stopping a Link from travelling to our time and beyond. Plus with all these reincarnations, it's surprising that we haven't seen one who was born in our present or future. It's completely open for them to do it.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'd totally pay to see Link in a steam-punk setting. If Final Fantasy has done whatever the hell they want with their settings, why can't Zelda?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Behold, the Lord and master of logic and reason has spoken, and whilst enthralled by the sound of his own voice, my point has soared above his head.
How am I supposed to notice a point so insignificant? What you said basically meant nothing. Anyways I'm not looking for a flame war so don't let md test your patience or anything.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
How am I supposed to notice a point so insignificant? What you said basically meant nothing.
Exactly, I was replying nonsense with nonsense. That's what you don't get. What you want, what we want, what we say means nothing when it comes down to what Nintendo will do with Zelda.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Exactly, I was replying nonsense with nonsense. That's what you don't get. What you want, what we want, what we say means nothing when it comes down to what Nintendo will do with Zelda.
In a way, what we want sort of does mean something to Nintendo. There have been multiple cases that demonstrate this. But in this case, the Zelda fanbase is hugely divided into whether Link should speak or not, so idk.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Manipulation of time has always been a staple for the Zelda series though. Ocarina of time is the obvious one, but there's Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, and even a little in Twilight Princess for that one dungeon. There seems to be nothing stopping a Link from travelling to our time and beyond. Plus with all these reincarnations, it's surprising that we haven't seen one who was born in our present or future. It's completely open for them to do it.
Who's to say that the Zelda games don't already take place during 'our time'? It could be very well possible that the Zelda games take place in the present or even the future, but because they live in a world/dimension that is heavily influenced by magic they haven't advanced as far technologically. Not to mention the fact that the whole ordeal with demise greatly set back a lot of the technological advancements that had been made.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Well we can take what I meant by 'our present' and 'the future' literally, or we can infer that I was talking about our present technological setting and the popular predicted 'futuristic' settings that are essentially a more advanced version of the current one. It all depends on whether we want to get anywhere or not XD.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I really don't want to see a futuristic Zelda game, but that's more of a personal preference

Fantasy>Sci-Fi

Of course, if they did make a Sci-Fi Zelda you can bet your bomb bag I would still play it.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This is the thing though, it doesn't have to be a futuristic Zelda game entirely. If you can travel to multiple points in time like Chrono Trigger, the sci-fi zelda would just be one part of a whole, and you can still have your classic fantasy settings with the open fields and rolling hills as well.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I just want to see a Zelda partly set in our present or future already. In fact, my main gripe is that here we have a series that is about the hero of time and has multiple time travelling plot devices, yet they have never fully taken advantage of this. I just want to see more Chrono Trigger/Stein's Gate nonsense going on in the Zelda universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...ture=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=85114404#t=564
In case you didn't read, I said that they could pull it off if they did it right.
Many things fit in ^this category. Israel, communism, capitalism, the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise...
I like my Zelda games ancient and my Metroid games futuristic.
^This.
I like the Zelda series because it was more down to earth without absurd flashy attacks that wouldn't work irl. Time travel is so overused at this point. I like the idea of having a fantasy game that sticks to the genre and makes it believable yet cool. Not that I'm against FF style mixes but Zelda should stay Zelda.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...ture=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=85114404#t=564

Many things fit in ^this category. Israel, communism, capitalism, the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise...

^This.
I like the Zelda series because it was more down to earth without absurd flashy attacks that wouldn't work irl. Time travel is so overused at this point. I like the idea of having a fantasy game that sticks to the genre and makes it believable yet cool. Not that I'm against FF style mixes but Zelda should stay Zelda.
You're pretty much a prime example of what is wrong with the Zelda fanbase; You aren't open to change. You don't even consider that you might actually like those sort of changes. Just give them a chance dude. Let Nintendo be a little more creative with Zelda.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I had forgotten about that conveyor belt section. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's a good point nonetheless. It's just that I don't think 'conveyor belts' when I think of Link exploring our present/future or when I think of a Zelda title with a Link reincarnation who was born in our present/future

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You're pretty much a prime example of what is wrong with the Zelda fanbase; You aren't open to change. You don't even consider that you might actually like those sort of changes. Just give them a chance dude. Let Nintendo be a little more creative with Zelda.
the Zelda fanbase is open to change. Just not a massive change.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why stop there? Let's try ketchup on ice cream, raise cattle in Antarctica, put square wheels on cars and fully embrace all the marvelous possibilities change has to offer without considering if they're bad ideas.

FSK

Smash Ace
I want scientists to be better represented in the zelda series.

I saw Kirin on stream, didn't go that well against Player-1. Didn't see lawz but I don't think he made it out of his pool. Scizor is there but I don't think he made it out of pools either. I think Staticmanny made it out of pools but I don't think he has rocked the Link yet.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I agree that some things should not change but I'm still welcome to a futuristic LoZ... especially a steam punk one. One of the biggest things that comes to mind is a black motorcycle with large exhaust pipes tailored to look like a horse (for the sake of Epona) similar to how MK8 does it.

Or imagine traveling one starry night on a wide open plain that leads up to a hill. Over this hill you find a large city with flashing lights when your hero's phone rings a "HEY" that comes from the same mysterious caller from before, who wishes to explain that the city is in shambles and in danger with thieves and muggers roaming the nightly streets.

I can keep going on. Idk, Maybe I'm making it feel like FF7 too much but we all know that was an FF done right (remember, LoZ and FF started in medieval-fantasy-like settings). So if FF did it, this can certainly happen. If it does it would make for one beautiful and interesting LoZ. Just my opinion.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The series being The Legend of Zelda allows a lot of convention breaking and experimentation. Some of the best elements have come from trying new things. I do think the series needs to stay true though: Link is a hero (not villain or antihero), it's a quest game, Link collects items and equipment in a dungeon buster style, Link is a sword and shield fighter, it's not a menu based fighting style, and the games should be well done and epic. Aside from those, I'm okay with venturing off the path.
I do think that some ideas wouldn't work. Voicing Link has such a high chance of turning out bad *coughOtherMcough* and frankly a large part of the fan base would hate it no matter what voices were chosen. Why "fix" what's not broken?
I personally don't like futuristic elements in LoZ games. I think the robots in SS were out of place and having a train in ST was a bad idea. But if a good steam punk LoZ came out I would play it.

There's no substitute for Epona though :sadeyes:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I agree that some things should not change but I'm still welcome to a futuristic LoZ... especially a steam punk one. One of the biggest things that comes to mind is a black motorcycle with large exhaust pipes tailored to look like a horse (for the sake of Epona) similar to how MK8 does it.

Or imagine traveling one starry night on a wide open plain that leads up to a hill. Over this hill you find a large city with flashing lights when your hero's phone rings a "HEY" that comes from the same mysterious caller from before, who wishes to explain that the city is in shambles and in danger with thieves and muggers roaming the nightly streets.

I can keep going on. Idk, Maybe I'm making it feel like FF7 too much but we all know that was an FF done right (remember, LoZ and FF started in medieval-fantasy-like settings). So if FF did it, this can certainly happen. If it does it would make for one beautiful and interesting LoZ. Just my opinion.
You could almost argue that some Zelda games are steampunk. Spirit Tracks is the first one that comes to mind with the inclusion of the train. The spinner from TP could be called very steampunk. Heck, you might even be able to say that bombchus are steampunk.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I cringe when I read your calls for a futuristic LoZ simply because you don't realize that we already have it. There is so much current and futuristic technology in Zelda games that it already has left it's niche. Trains, robots, remote controlled airplanes, laser firing machines, etc. Have you even noticed the bow in Zelda U's teaser? Tell me that that bow isn't freaking futuristic. From here it seems that you don't really want it futuristic but rather would like to play FF or DMC with Zelda characters. Just what is it that you need for the game to be "futuristic"? A phone? Cars and motorbikes? Internet? Because I'm pretty sure that everything else can already be found in a zelda game. Heck, we even have had cameras and motor boats.

Also, Zelda should be voice acted but not Link. There is a reason why Link doesn't even speak in text (why we don't see it at least) and it's because it'll stop being about us the player and become about some tryhard "cool" hero the devs are shoving down our throats.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I agree actually, a big chunk of the fan base are stupid, but hen again this is true of most fan bases. Anyways, I'm not sure I'd like voice acting since it'll give Link personality and he's not supposed to have one, like Gordon Freeman. Link is supposed to be a hollow vessel where we project ourselves, not a character we are reading about. So I would be ok with voice acting for everyone but Link.
That's perfectly fine, Link doesn't really matter, but to only have awkward little snippets of sound coming from the characters while they talk (OH GOD HYRULE WARRIORS WHY?) is really disjointed and takes away from the experience. Rock on Ele-
I don't want Link voiced. I tend to be picky and probably wouldn't like how he sounds.
Ok that's fine, maybe Link shouldn't talk since he's us essentially but I feel the rest of the game are fine being voiced to add to the personality the games already have and-
They've tried it and it failed (in the cartoon series and the CDI games). Link should remain mute. There are some conventions which don't need to be broken and this is one of them.
Aw dangit, that's exactly what I mean though, people refer to other bad voice acting (one handled by a cartoon company literally named "Dic" entertainment, and the other not handled by anyone with brains and not officially recognized by nintendo) and use that as some sort of excuse that nintendo "shouldn't" even try, and that's why Other M rekindled my hate for people who use bad dubs as an excuse not to add voices. "DUH HUH other m turned samus into a carboard montotone pussbag, so there's no conceivable way any actor on the planet no matter how acclaimed or talented could ever make any other game sound good, and video games characters should just be mute so I can project my fantasies onto them DUH HUH" is all I hear in that argument. Anyone who seriously thinks voice over in LoZ would completely destroy the series does not give LoZ any credit at all.

That being said I'm certainly not insinuating that you feel that way Elessar nor Rizen, I just started seeing the trend reoccur and jumped on it.

I should elucidate that I'm not at odds with the games the way they are now, they could rerelease the original LoZ with a few alterations every year and I'd still play it. I just worry a fear of experimentation is going to lead to yearly rehash Zelda in a matter of time, and that would drive the less mindless fans (unlike me) away.
A true talent evolves as it proceeds, taking great strides to preserve it's legacy whilst refining it's delivery and evaluating it's place in the present age, and LoZ's place in this world is inside the console being played as much as possible.

I just feel like certain (extremely vocal and toxic) elements of the fanbase (the same as any else really) are what keeps the series from really strutting the excellence we know it contains, and will not be satisfied until ALttp/OoT/MM and WW are printed on Diamonds and are used as currency, and god save the poor dreamer who dares alter a single lock of Link's hair. Let's not play any blame games here,(you know who you are, calling people out) Let's fight like Gentlemen!

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
That's perfectly fine, Link doesn't really matter, but to only have awkward little snippets of sound coming from the characters while they talk (OH GOD HYRULE WARRIORS WHY?) is really disjointed and takes away from the experience. Rock on Ele-
I honestly wish that Hyrule Warriors had gone all the way and included voice acting. Trying to read the text at the bottom of the screen while fighting off hordes of monsters was just awful.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Aw dangit, that's exactly what I mean though, people refer to other bad voice acting (one handled by a cartoon company literally named "Dic" entertainment, and the other not handled by anyone with brains and not officially recognized by nintendo) and use that as some sort of excuse that nintendo "shouldn't" even try, and that's why Other M rekindled my hate for people who use bad dubs as an excuse not to add voices.
The CDI games were officially licensed by Nintendo and they were disowned after the facts because they sucked so much. So sorry, they are official Zelda games. They weren't deved by Nintendo, but then again neither was Goldeneye nor the Prime trilogy and we all cream our pants over them. Trying to ignore them doesn't take away the fact that Nintendo greenlit those games.

Nintendo should add voice to Zelda, I agree, but not Link. That's it, that's all I say. A voice acted Zelda will be God tier, but keep Link mute because I'm tired to death of "badass tryhard cool as you'll never be" hero #5632 that permeate games these days. Link should never become that. Also, imagine, like, really what Link would sound like, what personality would they give him?

In fact, let's do an exercise. Everyone describe Link's personality, not his traits, his personality here. Like, what should he be like, what should he sound like? I'm pretty sure that we all picture him differently. Now, imagine a char that's actually like that and I bet that 8 out of 10 times he'll be a character you'd hate to have to tolerate for 40+ hours.

Come on, what is Link like?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Zane, give old Aerolink the Soulmaster a pat on the back for us all for placing top 16 with Palutena (and that one other character); and let us all grieve he no longer uses Link. I hope that decision came from the tumult, and not the depth, of the soul.

I had a tournament yesterday too and used Link + Palutena. 'Twas fun. Give Cat and me some time, soon we will unveil the feared double Link in teams.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Trying to read the text at the bottom of the screen while fighting off hordes of monsters was just awful.
You didn't miss much. "Help I'm pathetic and need you to run all the way across the map to save meeeeeee!" "Yea, we captured the keep! IDK why I'm telling you this since you did it but now it's official!"

Last edited:

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
The CDI games were officially licensed by Nintendo and they were disowned after the facts because they sucked so much. So sorry, they are official Zelda games. They weren't deved by Nintendo, but then again neither was Goldeneye nor the Prime trilogy and we all cream our pants over them. Trying to ignore them doesn't take away the fact that Nintendo greenlit those games.

Nintendo should add voice to Zelda, I agree, but not Link. That's it, that's all I say. A voice acted Zelda will be God tier, but keep Link mute because I'm tired to death of "badass tryhard cool as you'll never be" hero #5632 that permeate games these days. Link should never become that. Also, imagine, like, really what Link would sound like, what personality would they give him?

In fact, let's do an exercise. Everyone describe Link's personality, not his traits, his personality here. Like, what should he be like, what should he sound like? I'm pretty sure that we all picture him differently. Now, imagine a char that's actually like that and I bet that 8 out of 10 times he'll be a character you'd hate to have to tolerate for 40+ hours.

Come on, what is Link like?
One thing's for certain, Link is a lazy procrastinator. In like half the games he's asleep when when the game starts.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
One thing's for certain, Link is a lazy procrastinator. In like half the games he's asleep when when the game starts.
Heck even in the cartoon he was asleep when it started. Funny thing though, @ Zane the pure Zane the pure described Link as "hard working".

Zane, give old Aerolink the Soulmaster a pat on the back for us all for placing top 16 with Palutena (and that one other character); and let us all grieve he no longer uses Link. I hope that decision came from the tumult, and not the depth, of the soul.
He actually went 100% Diddy

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol.
Link starts out sleeping but he makes up for it by working for many days strait with no sleep until the game is beaten.

A shadow has been cast on these boards. Our comrade of old has fallen. He shall he grieved no more.
Hoo Hah. U-throw to u-air. D-throw to f-air. F-air > Everything. Dominate neutral with a banana. Monkey flip

That's the way of the Diddy

Tbh, Diddy's the truth if you're really going all out for the victory

Rizen

Smash Legend

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Hoo Hah. U-throw to u-air. D-throw to f-air. F-air > Everything. Dominate neutral with a banana. Monkey flip

That's the way of the Diddy

Funny, some scrub tried that on me last night. Little did he know, I saw right through it before the match even started. I made a mighty great use of dodge that day...

My favorite was the fact that after I beat him badly, he had to bring in the other scrubzilla, Little Mac. Once again, he tried fighting just like every other idiot that uses him. Dash attack into my shield, I grab him b-throw him and edge guard into a 2 stock game just under 40%.

When people use characters like those two I almost feel obligated to annihilate them in the worst possible way while taunting them like crazy... just add some salt their deep, beautiful wound.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I don't agree with this. If this was absolute, if Diddy was really as dominant as MK was then we would've seen plenty more monkeys in top 16 and top 8. Instead there were only two, m2k and Zero. M2k lost to a freaking Olimar who people swore was horrible this time around (did I say people, sorry, I meant scrubby tier whores) and the other one was Zero. And Zero won Aepx for being clearly superior to Dabuz (although Dabuz was a machine in his last matches) not because of Diddy. I'm pretty confident that even if Zero had picked Fox he would've still beaten Dabuz as decisively as he did.

Top Bottom