• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Funny, some scrub tried that on me last night. Little did he know, I saw right through it before the match even started. I made a mighty great use of dodge that day...

My favorite was the fact that after I beat him badly, he had to bring in the other scrubzilla, Little Mac. Once again, he tried fighting just like every other idiot that uses him. Dash attack into my shield, I grab him b-throw him and edge guard into a 2 stock game just under 40%.

When people use characters like those two I almost feel obligated to annihilate them in the worst possible way while taunting them like crazy... just add some salt their deep, beautiful wound.
You're doing God's work, Phoenix.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The Link I'd like to see return is @LordXav1er . He was the best Link at the end of Brawl's time imo, ranking 2nd in RI going all Link. I had the best dittos with him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKv37S_Mhcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2XgFLO6z8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN9N49UJRNM
Return? He's still playing in the New England scene! There's a match featuring him in the Video & Critique Thread. His Youtube Channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/LordXav1er -- he posts streams from tournaments there all the time.

The passing of Legan is what really saddens me.

Remember, remember:—those only can know
How dear is remembrance, whose hope is laid low;
’Tis like clouds in the west, that are gorgeous still,
When the dank dews of evening fall deadly and chill;

Like the bow in the cloud that is painted so bright,—
Like the voice of the nightingale, heard through the night,
Oh! sweet is remembrance, most sad though it be,
For remembrance is all that remaineth for me.​

Last edited:
I don't agree with this. If this was absolute, if Diddy was really as dominant as MK was then we would've seen plenty more monkeys in top 16 and top 8. Instead there were only two, m2k and Zero. M2k lost to a freaking Olimar who people swore was horrible this time around (did I say people, sorry, I meant scrubby tier *****s) and the other one was Zero. And Zero won Aepx for being clearly superior to Dabuz (although Dabuz was a machine in his last matches) not because of Diddy. I'm pretty confident that even if Zero had picked Fox he would've still beaten Dabuz as decisively as he did.
I agree that it was mostly ZeRo and his sheer skill that brought him to 1st place. Just to add, Diddy's abilities mesh very well with ZeRo's mindset and tactics (Agile, aggressive like Fox). Add to that, ZeRo also puts a LOT of time into Diddy. So yeah, that would make ZeRo a deadly opponent even to those who are perceived to be near his level

Eh, forgive my wording. I don't think Diddy is an instant ticket or a dominant force or anything like that anymore

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
H-hey, what's goin on in here?
Don't tell me, you've been a lurker for several weeks now and you finally built up the courage to create an account and make your first post? Good man, that the first step down a long road to being a true Link main. I welcome you.

I_just_reallylikeLink

Smash Rookie
Don't tell me, you've been a lurker for several weeks now and you finally built up the courage to create an account and make your first post? Good man, that the first step down a long road to being a true Link main. I welcome you.
Something like that! I didn't see any Links in sm4sh yesterday. I, along with all of you, will do my best to change this.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Something like that! I didn't see any Links in sm4sh yesterday. I, along with all of you, will do my best to change this.
It really is a shame. I believe the only Link main we had at Apex wad Kirin and he, unfortunately, didn't make it out of pools.

We need to do work and represent Link next year.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
The CDI games were officially licensed by Nintendo and they were disowned after the facts because they sucked so much. So sorry, they are official Zelda games. They weren't deved by Nintendo, but then again neither was Goldeneye nor the Prime trilogy and we all cream our pants over them. Trying to ignore them doesn't take away the fact that Nintendo greenlit those games.

Nintendo should add voice to Zelda, I agree, but not Link. That's it, that's all I say. A voice acted Zelda will be God tier, but keep Link mute because I'm tired to death of "badass tryhard cool as you'll never be" hero #5632 that permeate games these days. Link should never become that. Also, imagine, like, really what Link would sound like, what personality would they give him?
Firstly, After a fairly exhaustive search Ninty was only involved with consulting on the appearance of the characters, nothing more. No license, they were allowed to use the characters briefly as an agreement that freed nintendo from going through with the snes cd add-on the had planned.
And I get the feeling your distaste for generically badassed cooler than thou protagonists comes from a breakdown of your willing suspension of disbelief. Those characters aren't relatable enough, and don't have enough flaws to keep them interesting right?

Zane, give old Aerolink the Soulmaster a pat on the back for us all for placing top 16 with Palutena (and that one other character); and let us all grieve he no longer uses Link. I hope that decision came from the tumult, and not the depth, of the soul.
Yeah man, On his Birthday no less. Late into Brawl he dropped going all Link to win and juggled MK, Oli, and Diddy. PM came around and he went all Link again, and thus far into Smash 4 he has been maining Palutena cuz "Mah Waifu" or whatever, and "that other character" to win. So TBH he absconded the heights of Linkdom after a grand and arduous battle against fate, and succumbed to his desire to actually win in a stacked region.

EDIT: this was a Mega post I typed last night right before SWF went down, and is after a very entertaining skype conversation.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
And I get the feeling your distaste for generically badassed cooler than thou protagonists comes from a breakdown of your willing suspension of disbelief. Those characters aren't relatable enough, and don't have enough flaws to keep them interesting right?
You would be right. these characters aren't real nor entertaining. They are pure catering to the male fantasy of prepubescent and teenage boys hoping they grow to be "alpha males". They are not even one dimensional and serve for extremely poor narratives since there is no conflict nor personality. They cater to one generation and must be reinvented for the next as that wave of teens mature and realize how shallow and stupid and vain those glorified escapism pods are.

Point in case: Compare Link who has been unchanged for over 25 years while changing the gaming world, and Dante from DMC who has had to be reinvented after 10 years or so and has had only the impact of creating little whinny badass annoying teens.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
It really is a shame. I believe the only Link main we had at Apex wad Kirin and he, unfortunately, didn't make it out of pools.

We need to do work and represent Link next year.
Unfortunately seeding is ******** and out of roughly 15-16 people in each pool, only 2 make it out. Kirin had some bad MUs to fight through, which sucks because he's a great player.

I saw him have close matches with a Sonic during pools and I hope if @KirinBlaze reads this, I'll drop some knowledge on that matchup. Of course he was on stream and that can give people pressure as well.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Unfortunately seeding is ******** and out of roughly 15-16 people in each pool, only 2 make it out. Kirin had some bad MUs to fight through, which sucks because he's a great player.

I saw him have close matches with a Sonic during pools and I hope if @KirinBlaze reads this, I'll drop some knowledge on that matchup. Of course he was on stream and that can give people pressure as well.
How did you do Lawz? Also, that's insane, that out of 17 only 2 make it out. They need more pools with less people or increase the number of people that make it out. Seems as if the organization int hat area is struggling under the amount of competitors.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
How did you do Lawz? Also, that's insane, that out of 17 only 2 make it out. They need more pools with less people or increase the number of people that make it out. Seems as if the organization int hat area is struggling under the amount of competitors.
I got 3rd in my pool unfortunately. But since there were so many entrants at Apex coupled with the fact that they got shut down on Friday, 2 people getting out made sense.

For only using Sheik for a few weeks, I'm surprised I was able to beat so many diddy Kongs...and actually.almost have a shot at making it to brackets.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I got 3rd in my pool unfortunately. But since there were so many entrants at Apex coupled with the fact that they got shut down on Friday, 2 people getting out made sense.

For only using Sheik for a few weeks, I'm surprised I was able to beat so many diddy Kongs...and actually.almost have a shot at making it to brackets.
You said you were going to go Link at Apex and switch afterwards to Sheik. Your word has ceased to have any value or meaning.

Also, how many Links did you see besides Kirin and apparently Scizor and how did they do?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
*reads thread title*
Whenever I play :4link: online, I ALWAYS make sure that my name is changed to "Zelda". :troll:

And now, I will take my leave.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
You said you were going to go Link at Apex and switch afterwards to Sheik. Your word has ceased to have any value or meaning.

Also, how many Links did you see besides Kirin and apparently Scizor and how did they do?
None of them made it out I believe.

Also my pool was filled with Fox, Diddy, and freaking Rosa Luma. I would've gotten counter picked to death.

I love you guys and I love Link but I am not going through another game with someone so horribly unviable. I'll use him for certain matchups but that's probably it...

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Why stop there? Let's try ketchup on ice cream, raise cattle in Antarctica, put square wheels on cars and fully embrace all the marvelous possibilities change has to offer without considering if they're bad ideas.
Who says that they'd be bad ideas?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Apex was ****ing amazing. I didn't get home till 7 AM because I stayed for all of Melee top 8. The snow made driving home absolutely horrible. But it was better than smash 4 top 8 ayyy

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Apex was ****ing amazing. I didn't get home till 7 AM because I stayed for all of Melee top 8. The snow made driving home absolutely horrible. But it was better than smash 4 top 8 ayyy
This guy knows what's up.

Interestingly, I felt like the smash4 bracket leading up to top8 and even the pools games were entertaining. However... when it came to top 8, smash4 was lack luster and melee games were amazing.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
So you're saying that the game that's had years to grow and develop the metagame was more entertaining than the game that's been out for 4 months? This is truly insightful information, thank you.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So you're saying that the game that's had years to grow and develop the metagame was more entertaining than the game that's been out for 4 months? This is truly insightful information, thank you.
Not to mention that there was a lot on the line, so it makes sense that you wouldn't see many people try to style or attempt anything too crazy. After all, it could cost them the game/set. And if you loose, that's it. I feel like the reason we didn't have too many crazy moments at Apex was because people didn't feel secure enough with the game yet after a mere 4 months. After a year or so when everyone has a better mastery of sm4sh, we'll definitely see a lot more hype moments for sure.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I love you guys and I love Link but I am not going through another game with someone so horribly unviable. I'll use him for certain matchups but that's probably it...
I think you just echoed what most of us old mains feel. I know I feel like that, and some do as well and have even gone as far as quitting or becoming casual rather than trying to win with Link again or picking someone else. It makes me sad since I really have high hopes for him and because I genuinely believe that he is a lot better and actually viable. He's just too demanding sadly and most people are just looking for an easy win.

Who says that they'd be bad ideas?
You're late, we moved on eons ago. Nobody cares about that anymore.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You're late, we moved on eons ago. Nobody cares about that anymore.
Whatever. It was getting tedious anyway.

I think you just echoed what most of us old mains feel. I know I feel like that, and some do as well and have even gone as far as quitting or becoming casual rather than trying to win with Link again or picking someone else. It makes me sad since I really have high hopes for him and because I genuinely believe that he is a lot better and actually viable. He's just too demanding sadly and most people are just looking for an easy win.
Same here. I'm glad I've stuck with Link since day one. It kinda makes me feel proud of myself for mastering Link, dispite his incredibly high learning curve. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The problem Link's always had is he has to work harder than other characters. This time around he has better stats to help but he's still very tiring to play. People like an easy win.
I tried Yoshi and he glides like silk dipped in butter on oiled glass. Some characters are much easier to play.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The problem Link's always had is he has to work harder than other characters. This time around he has better stats to help but he's still very tiring to play. People like an easy win.
I tried Yoshi and he glides like silk dipped in butter on oiled glass. Some characters are much easier to play.
And that's what will determine the tiers this time around, not how good a char is, but how easy they are.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I haven't made it out to a tournament yet, but my region has a fairly strong line of weeklys for Smash 4, PM, and melee
thanks to Tourney Locator and the DFW scene being generally awesome. Due to the amount of tournaments and the amount of our players that keep getting better and tryharding more, it is a pretty stacked region, so hopefully I'll be able to go to an event in the near future to get you guys some good replays of me in action.

Hope y'all had fun at Apex, and thank goodness the roof didn't collapse.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I haven't made it out to a tournament yet, but my region has a fairly strong line of weeklys for Smash 4, PM, and melee
thanks to Tourney Locator and the DFW scene being generally awesome. Due to the amount of tournaments and the amount of our players that keep getting better and tryharding more, it is a pretty stacked region, so hopefully I'll be able to go to an event in the near future to get you guys some good replays of me in action.
I wish my area would pay more attention to Smash 4. Everyone either hates it or likes it. Weekly tourneys rarely play them, and monthly's don't wet my appetite enough.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
None of them made it out I believe.

Also my pool was filled with Fox, Diddy, and freaking Rosa Luma. I would've gotten counter picked to death.

That sucks. I saw Kirin on stream and he managed to beat a Sonic pretty bad. His doubles team did unbelievably good though.

Epok

Smash Ace
I just played in a tournament this weekend maining Link and got top 8. I was undefeated in my pools and Played against a lot of fox, shiek and zss. The only thing that really caught me off guard that night was losing to Fox's infinite jab lock. He played keep away until 100% then jab lock into up smash. Idk, I have been playing him too long to give him up when he is at his best. If anything I turned some heads and got Link some respect.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I found ChangeOfHeart on youtube today. He was talking smack about Smash 4 Link. May I please post a link to said vid. so we can flame the **** out of him?

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
It's up to you guy, no need for permission. I'd suggest otherwise for the sake of harmony, but then again It's sorta my job to play good cop around here. EDIT: And after seeing his comment you are all recommended to troll the lights out of him, I thought he was obnoxious before... but lordy have mercy and he's still touting Brawl Link... Some people.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWs5oX5apUQ
for @Lozjam my eternal rival, find yourself a helpful plumber and wreak havoc!

Last edited:
Top Bottom