• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Warning Received
This is the most relevant statement in this discussion. Link is better among the cast members in general in sm4sh, but even then competing in tourney after tourney and making top 5 every single time. I came to understand that even at his best in smash4 he still was not and will not be viable. Taking away the great jab he had is just the icing on the **** cake.
Lol

This is the most relevant statement in this discussion. Link is better among the cast members in general in sm4sh, but even then competing in tourney after tourney and making top 5 every single time. I came to understand that even at his best in smash4 he still was not and will not be viable. Taking away the great jab he had is just the icing on the **** cake.
Lol

Edit: Sorry, no idea what happened here. But yeah. More negative nonsense & whining. Just what the Link boards needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I've found that grabbing against running opponents works really well though, especially if they run into shield to after being conditioned by our jab.
Link's grab is way too laggy to be a good option most of the time against running opponents. Why? Because it's easy enough to react to by spot-dodging. Hell, characters like Ike can land his 3 jabs on Link's shield and be able to spotdodge as soon as Link as free to jab/ grab. It's frame data is baaaaaad.

TNS|Quake

Smash Rookie
I live in Tampa and can confirm Orlando, Miami, and my hometown have very competitive offline scenes. Darkdiety go to TampaNeverSleeps.com and plan on going on May 30th. It's always a lot of fun and I can guarantee after you fight our hometown Falcon, StaticMannys Sonic, and our swarm of Sheiks you'll see why he's not viable. Pre or post patch.

Its always about mixup and risk vs reward. Link has reward and limited mixup but too much risk associated with his moveset

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link's grab is way too laggy to be a good option most of the time against running opponents. Why? Because it's easy enough to react to by spot-dodging. Hell, characters like Ike can land his 3 jabs on Link's shield and be able to spotdodge as soon as Link as free to jab/ grab. It's frame data is baaaaaad.
It can grab people out of the air from long distances, though (you're wrong about the Ike jab thing, though). That's probably why. It's not meant to be used like other grabs.

FSK

Smash Ace
I live in Tampa and can confirm Orlando, Miami, and my hometown have very competitive offline scenes. Darkdiety go to TampaNeverSleeps.com and plan on going on May 30th. It's always a lot of fun and I can guarantee after you fight our hometown Falcon, StaticMannys Sonic, and our swarm of Sheiks you'll see why he's not viable. Pre or post patch.

Its always about mixup and risk vs reward. Link has reward and limited mixup but too much risk associated with his moveset
That last sentence is the truth. Less mixups and options also means that your character is more predictable. Which is terrible in a competitive sense.

EDIT: Holy flying **** Dark is it national spasm day in America? Keep your goddamn finger under control when you click the Post Reply button, ffs its not that hard.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
StaticMannys Sonic,
This is relevant, because Staticmanny was planning to transition away from Sonic (presumably into his secondary Link) but he doesn't play Link much in tournament because of "all the sheiks and diddys". But I guess Staticmanny is wrong eh, DarkDeity? It's not as if he knows his competitive smash. He's just some scrub. You will prove to us how great Link is.

You folks can whine about Cat, but remember, he does his work. That said, he required MK to beat a CF, with ease, that he had previously lost to with Link. He needed MK for a Rosalina, he needed MK for a Sheik. He beat a Diddy with Link because the Diddy was bad. Go idealize all you want kid, but until you have moved away from your comfortable pc and For Glory and enter ed the field, you are nowhere. Feel this pain:

FSK

Smash Ace
I don't think they know that Cat is one of the top Links and he knows his ****. I play him often and he's a beast.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Well I'll be turning 17 next month, so I'll definitely be starting later than you did. I've shown interest in competitive smash since I was 12, though.
Trust me when I say, once you've gone to an offline tournament, you'll never want to touch online again ;) it's just that much better of a setting. You will learn why I say Link isn't good, however, that doesn't mean you should stop using him.

There are definitely things Link has improved on, but I think once you play someone who understands frame data and picks up on habits quickly like projectile patterns, rolling, what your landing tactics are (THIS is a big one I see Links suffer with, rightfully so as he has poor options other than bomb throw or a ff aerial) Link suffers. BUT it's hard not to love Link (I do still use him, I just keep it on the down low), just playing Brawl really left a sour taste in my mouth...

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
That's not to say Link isn't viable in the competitive scene though. He's not as good as Diddy or Sheik but he's not nearly as bad as Charizard or Little Mac either. There's always going to be high tiers and there's always gonna be low tiers. That's just how fighting games work. You can still beat the God Tiers if you can read them well enough. Again, that's just how fighting games work.

Just cuz Link's not the best doesn't mean you shouldn't use him. 90% of the Link mains here don't use Link based on his standings. I know I never have....

...Just do yourselves a favor and try not to sell out and go Gay on us.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Ah, to be young and optimistic. I remember back when I was like that. I'd go back in time and smack myself if I could.

I'm speaking to all the newer posters on the boards, but if I had to direct this towards a single user it would be @ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 . I remember what it's like to be the new guy on the boards. You're excited about being part of the community and you want to contribute any way you can. You post your ideas or findings and then when someone points out the flaws in it you get hurt and offended. You feel the need to stand your ground and argue your point because you want to be helpful. The thing you dont realize is that your topic has probably already been discussed months prior and deemed not worth the time. The veterans on the boards have been through a lot and can be a great help to you if you listen to them. I've been a part of this community for five years now and I still wouldn't consider myself to be a veteran. So if you've been here for less time than that, and you haven't won any major tournaments lately then you can be sure that you're seen as a scrub in the eye a of most people here. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone one of us was a scrub at one point...some still are. It becomes a problem when you get too big for your boots and don't listen to the advice of those that have been here longer than you. If you do that then you've just doomed yourself to be a scrub for the rest of your smash career.

Surviving on the the Link boards is all about respect. You need to earn the respect of the veterans and that is only accomplished through respect. You need to understand that you don't understand. If you suggest something and a veteran takes the time to tell you that it's not viable then you should take that to heart and be glad that you didn't have to waste time finding that out on your own like they probably did. You'll find the Link boards to be a much nicer place if you take a back seat for a while and glean from the information that we available. I'm not saying you should be lazy, but rather that you should work on improving yourself before attempting to improve Links metagame.

Only time will tell if you've got what it takes to be a Link main. Many players give way under the pressure. However, if you heed what I've said and stick it out, I can guarantee you won't regret it.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Well... Let's start moving forward, then.
Now that our jab is too risky to fend off approaches with, then what should we use?
SH N-airs?
Uncharged Arrow?
SH fakeout to double jump back-air to begin a string?
Bomb out of shield?

And what do we have that's reliable and fairly safe to combo out of at CQC now, then?
Bombs?
D-tilt?

We need to find things to replace our losses, and cover our new flaw.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Well... Let's start moving forward, then.
Now that our jab is too risky to fend off approaches with, then what should we use?
SH N-airs?
Uncharged Arrow?
SH fakeout to double jump back-air to begin a string?
Bomb out of shield?

And what do we have that's reliable and fairly safe to combo out of at CQC now, then?
Bombs?
D-tilt?
Go into the metagame thread, Foxy started a dicussion on it there.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Lol

Lol

Edit: Sorry, no idea what happened here. But yeah. More negative nonsense & whining. Just what the Link boards needed.
Yeah it's not whining, it's the experience of someone who attends and places in tournament every single week. If I were really upset or whining about it, I would just switch to top tier.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 You're just embarrassing yourself now. Just stop.

I stand by what I said. Words are wind. Prove us wrong by placing high in an offline tournament. I dare you to prove us wrong. Until then, though, (and this is for everyone not just DarkDeity15) your opinions are meaningless. FG is garbage and these boards are here to develop competitive level gameplay, not cater to the scrub horde from FG.

As others have said before, until you have set foot in an offline tourney venue and placed, you are spewing ignorance. Want to shut us up? Then prove wrong.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
It's tough when you want your favorite character to be the best. It's disappointing when you realize he's not.

Life's a lot like that. You hope to achieve and become the best through your own decisions. And sometimes you get a leg up. But your leg can't stay up forever. Eventually you fall to another who proves that your decision is flawed, no matter how much you believe in it.

Things like that are hard to see sometimes. So I sympathize with Dark. But the key to growing up is admitting when you're wrong. That's how you make progress.

Last edited:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
It's tough when you want your favorite character to be the best. It's disappointing when you realize he's not.
It's annoying when people deliberately ignore the fact that he isn't. The real travesty is the ignorant spread of misinformation due to a blatant lack of experience.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
By the way, if anybody thinks they've found a change for Link in the new patch make sure you post it in the patch notes thread. I haven't updated my game yet so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to record all of the claims pre/post patch and throw them into Adobe premiere to find out for sure whether or not things have been changed.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
It's annoying when people deliberately ignore the fact that he isn't. The real travesty is the ignorant spread of misinformation due to a blatant lack of experience.
Completely agree. I don't see it as a problem to express opinion but if the opinion is flawed something should be said.

And the person expressing the opinion should admit it's flawed when cold hard evidence is used against him/her.

That's what progress is people kids. You can't progress until you regress.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I've been playing some pretty lengthy sets with the local players and I'm averaging out 7:3 vs decidedly bad matchups 6:4 against pretty much everyone else.
But I'm still taking games off of the top characters despite losing the majority, by playing very conservative and spacing them as hard as possible. This is probably the most solidly I've ever played in any Smash.

My opinion, this nerf is awful. There were so many points in all the games I played where the jab1-Utilt would've sealed entire matches on opportunity alone, and I couldn't close up the first stock in enough time to avoid getting rage% combos up da booty. The only merit that gained me the wins I got was my own ability as a player (par the course for low-tier players).
With the exception of Project M in a few iterations (not currently) Link has never been tournament viable. I endured the -3 matchups (and one -4) from Brawl and the best I ever managed to take 9th of 40 in a local back in 2012. I've been able to play Link to a competitive level in every iteration, and he has only ever been high tier twice before in PM only... He will never win a tourney in any main game at a national level.

Take it to heart, Link is never going to be good in an official game where Sora is involved. The team responsible for adjustments do not understand how to make him work on a fundamental level (P:M BR has a pretty good idea, but they got bullied into nerfing him back down) and they refuse to look at things from a point of competitive balance. They do not believe in Smash as viable tournament fighter nor do they want it to be one, and have only recently begrudgingly begun to support the Melee scene (after trying to destroy it) because Sakurai can't take back the mistake he made when that game turned out amazingly.

Take this information and use it to fuel the fires of rage and fury as you train vigorously to show the world how wrong I am, and throw competitive imbalance right back in the face our tormenters. Do that and I will gladly eat my words worth of alphabet soup, and in the meantime, take it from your elders: The only control in this life is self control.

You will never have perfect reign over a competition between two forces. All you can muster is the strength you alone wield, and you are responsible for it's dispatch.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's low tier now but I'll use him anyway ;) I stuck with him through every SSB game and aren't about to stop now. People need to realize Link is bad at competitive levels but it's not us hating on Link. Even though I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation, the patch seriously nerfed him. We use him anyway because he's freaking Link! 'nuff said.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I think it would be helpful for the newbies if they have an idea what legacy these boards are running on. I've gone through the archives with some veterans and got some Link's best brawl days compiled. You must understand what we -- they -- have been through. So many have left us.

There was Blubba_Pinecone, who lurks but has never touched Smash Wii U. He was amazing, but his region was awful. Consequently he was banned from participating in tournaments there, reduced to a passive viewer. He'd lurk the Xat stating he was 'bored' all the time and we'd pray he'd move to a better region. He never did.
Blubba_Pinecone:link2:vs. William:metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrf9Y4tGTtg
This game was the last of a grand finals set. Blubba slept through the tourney, until he lost twice against this MK. Then he turned his game on -- and the results were glorious.
Don't question our guide, the best we have, written by our poor, isolated Blubba.

There was Legan, a Link as flashy as Izaw but smarter than all of us. His temparement was evasive but he played many of us and he was our most consistent representative. We have footage of him playing Smash 4 early into the game, but no more; he quit soon after, not interested in the game. His many moneymatches against Ally are godly.
Legan:link2: vs. King~:pikachu2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sl5yehH-ek

ArkiveZero was a cocky Link who loved aggro play -- he'd be good at this game. Yet he suddenly disappeared, upset over imbalances in the game, never to return. That tragic tale we wish never to repeat. His dittos with Legan are legendary, but on his own he is equally good.
ArkiveZero:link2: vs. Tanooki:snake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8k9vYRkQo

Remember Aerolink the Soulmaster, who made top 16 at Apex using Palutena and Diddy? He couldn't handle switching back to Link after Project:M, sadly. Yet in Brawl he proudly supported us, in entertaining matches against Xyro among many others. His partner in crime, Zane the Pure, is still with us.
ALSM:link2: vs. Zane the Pure:link2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCPy5uCV6A

There was Deva, our glorious martyr. Who but him could stick with Link through all those failures? The poor man. He was in our top three for as long as he held out.
Deva:link2:vs. M2K:metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjYdzbcA9U

Lawz, our newest sage, now too damaged to play a once-more bad Link, was our pride in Brawl. You can understand our sadness when he disappeared, and our glee when he reappeared here. Now he is one of the most credible people around. This match speaks for itself:
Lawz:link2: vs. Ally:snake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3k5yEfBnI

Among the lesser Links was Sasook, our mod towards the end of the Aib era. You still see him post, but he's a self-described casual this time around, no longer playing competitive smash. He used to be one in a very active scene, featuring M4ge, Will, Kirin, Ninjalink and many others. His ground game and spam "sucked" according to him, but his recovery and DI were always top notch.
Sasook's :link2: doesn't like to die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86CIjiCKfk&index=5
His lack of success was immortalized in his famous "Will destroys me series":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKchYwshwbk

Yet we had another Link who faced Will frequently: KirinBlaze: the last surviving giant. He said he'd play as much Link as he could this time around, only using Mario to cover certain match-up. His spam game was extroardinary, his Link was incredibly technical and graceful. He is our best representative in Sm4sh, and we should be beyond happy to have him.
KirinBlaze:link2:vs. Southpaw:toonlink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcRQPavF9Q
Here we see him outspamming a TL in Brawl: a feat not even spoken of by mere mortals.

Over in Europe, our most famous representative was AfroTwist (BlueBerryPie), @NofroTwist ProteinfartPie, who took his name from Shin. He was my mentor and one of my greatest regrets is that I never got to meet him when he came to Germany. His chief accomplishment was in doubles, where he formed a great team with Gardex's G&W, terrorizing the Norwegian region. He still plays occassionally, but life has caught up with him (and he's awful now). You can find some of his Sm4sh matches in the archive.
Sexy Beasts (Afrotwist:link2: & Gardex:gw:) vs. Pretty Pretty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5LJGXMBHs

We had many amazing players in Japan too, whom our resident technician, semi-retired, FSK, loved to find -- Smasher was probably the best.
Smasher:link2: vs. Ryuji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb4jWvXInGM

One of our top players was Mr-R, whose tech skill was amazing, though he never mained Link obviously. Cat and I are pushing him to play Link again in Sm4sh, and he is interested. For now we must enjoy his proud Link matches in Brawl.
Mr-R:link2: vs. Orion:metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XigYE17DNAY

Another veteran who has stayed is Scizor(link), who arrived late in Brawl and did extremely well to our surprise. He has stuck around for Sm4sh, and our best current footage is his.
Scizor:link2: vs. Tyrant:zerosuitsamus:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoXNtQOe9Y

As a last, we must remember our great mod of days past, Scabe. He was never the greatest but he improved fast, was always helpful and supportive and kept the scene alive. He repped Link to the last and helped the boards make the transition to Smash 4. Then he left -- he hasn't returned.
Scabe:link2: vs. Attila:falco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUGpjoyrPY

Yet I haven't even mentioned many -- Catpuke, who stuck with Link during Brawl and improved rapidly. No good footage was ever made of him, but he earned his respect in the community and is still doing great. M4ge is another forgotten giant, who doesn't even have footage to commerate him: a Link who could never equal the greats and beat himself up over it, though his presence was among my greatest joys on the boards. He played me often and those are some of my favorite Brawl memories. Others who have been with us for a very long time are Shin, Cyner, BluLink, Lord Xav1er, Zelkam (once Jedi) and Rizen (once MES) -- but they are still around and active, and you can enjoy them right here.

Remember them when you play Link. We owe our community to them.

Link users and mains! should the shield and the sword
Be beaten while we do the work of our Lord,
Forget not the Links who in Brawl tread our path:
Bury your sheets, we owe them our wrath!

We who proudly bear a sword and a bow,
Must continue in these worried times, now.
Remember the blood at Brawl Link's poor feet;
So sad a fate we never will meet.

Farewell to Jab one, but never Links part,
Warriors of Hyrule, dear to my heart!
Great is our pride, boundless our sway
And we will move on, starting today.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
@ DarkDeity15 DarkDeity15 You're just embarrassing yourself now. Just stop.

I stand by what I said. Words are wind. Prove us wrong by placing high in an offline tournament. I dare you to prove us wrong. Until then, though, (and this is for everyone not just DarkDeity15) your opinions are meaningless. FG is garbage and these boards are here to develop competitive level gameplay, not cater to the scrub horde from FG.

As others have said before, until you have set foot in an offline tourney venue and placed, you are spewing ignorance. Want to shut us up? Then prove wrong.
Will do, and so you will. But I have every right to speak my mind. I don't even take FG seriously lol.

And I know that Link isn't the best and that he seriously struggles against top tiers. All I said was that Link is still good, not godly. I'd be ******** if that were the case.

You guys really love doing this, don't you?

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Loving how practically all of you jumped at me at once. Such is the way of the Link boards lol. I should also tell you that I've had plenty of competitive experience offline. Just not when it comes to official tournaments.

Edit: So do you guys have any advice when it comes to visiting your first tournament that I should keep in mind? Currently practicing my Falcon and Sheik as well, because I know I'll need them at some point.

...and also because they're fun to play lol.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I think it would be helpful for the newbies if they have an idea what legacy these boards are running on. I've gone through the archives with some veterans and got some Link's best brawl days compiled. You must understand what we -- they -- have been through. So many have left us.

There was Blubba_Pinecone, who lurks but has never touched Smash Wii U. He was amazing, but his region was awful. Consequently he was banned from participating in tournaments there, reduced to a passive viewer. He'd lurk the Xat stating he was 'bored' all the time and we'd pray he'd move to a better region. He never did.
Blubba_Pinecone:link2:vs. William:metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrf9Y4tGTtg
This game was the last of a grand finals set. Blubba slept through the tourney, until he lost twice against this MK. Then he turned his game on -- and the results were glorious.
Don't question our guide, the best we have, written by our poor, isolated Blubba.

There was Legan, a Link as flashy as Izaw but smarter than all of us. His temparement was evasive but he played many of us and he was our most consistent representative. We have footage of him playing Smash 4 early into the game, but no more; he quit soon after, not interested in the game. His many moneymatches against Ally are godly.
Legan:link2: vs. King~:pikachu2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sl5yehH-ek

ArkiveZero was a cocky Link who loved aggro play -- he'd be good at this game. Yet he suddenly disappeared, upset over imbalances in the game, never to return. That tragic tale we wish never to repeat. His dittos with Legan are legendary, but on his own he is equally good.
ArkiveZero:link2: vs. Tanooki:snake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8k9vYRkQo

Remember Aerolink the Soulmaster, who made top 16 at Apex using Palutena and Diddy? He couldn't handle switching back to Link after Project:M, sadly. Yet in Brawl he proudly supported us, in entertaining matches against Xyro among many others. His partner in crime, Zane the Pure, is still with us.
ALSM:link2: vs. Zane the Pure:link2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCPy5uCV6A

There was Deva, our glorious martyr. Who but him could stick with Link through all those failures? The poor man. He was in our top three for as long as he held out.
Deva:link2:vs. M2K:metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjYdzbcA9U

Lawz, our newest sage, now too damaged to play a once-more bad Link, was our pride in Brawl. You can understand our sadness when he disappeared, and our glee when he reappeared here. Now he is one of the most credible people around. This match speaks for itself:
Lawz:link2: vs. Ally:snake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3k5yEfBnI

Among the lesser Links was Sasook, our mod towards the end of the Aib era. You still see him post, but he's a self-described casual this time around, no longer playing competitive smash. He used to be one in a very active scene, featuring M4ge, Will, Kirin, Ninjalink and many others. His ground game and spam "sucked" according to him, but his recovery and DI were always top notch.
Sasook's :link2: doesn't like to die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86CIjiCKfk&index=5
His lack of success was immortalized in his famous "Will destroys me series":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKchYwshwbk

Yet we had another Link who faced Will frequently: KirinBlaze: the last surviving giant. He said he'd play as much Link as he could this time around, only using Mario to cover certain match-up. His spam game was extroardinary, his Link was incredibly technical and graceful. He is our best representative in Sm4sh, and we should be beyond happy to have him.
KirinBlaze:link2:vs. Southpaw:toonlink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcRQPavF9Q
Here we see him outspamming a TL in Brawl: a feat not even spoken of by mere mortals.

Over in Europe, our most famous representative was AfroTwist (BlueBerryPie), @NofroTwist ProteinfartPie, who took his name from Shin. He was my mentor and one of my greatest regrets is that I never got to meet him when he came to Germany. His chief accomplishment was in doubles, where he formed a great team with Gardex's G&W, terrorizing the Norwegian region. He still plays occassionally, but life has caught up with him (and he's awful now). You can find some of his Sm4sh matches in the archive.
Sexy Beasts (Afrotwist:link2: & Gardex:gw:) vs. Pretty Pretty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5LJGXMBHs

We had many amazing players in Japan too, whom our resident technician, semi-retired, FSK, loved to find -- Smasher was probably the best.
Smasher:link2: vs. Ryuji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb4jWvXInGM

One of our top players was Mr-R, whose tech skill was amazing, though he never mained Link obviously. Cat and I are pushing him to play Link again in Sm4sh, and he is interested. For now we must enjoy his proud Link matches in Brawl.
Mr-R:link2: vs. Orion:metaknight:

Another veteran who has stayed is Scizor(link), who arrived late in Brawl and did extremely well to our surprise. He has stuck around for Sm4sh, and our best current footage is his.
Scizor:link2: vs. Tyrant:zerosuitsamus:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoXNtQOe9Y

As a last, we must remember our great mod of days past, Scabe. He was never the greatest but he improved fast, was always helpful and supportive and kept the scene alive. He repped Link to the last and helped the boards make the transition to Smash 4. Then he left -- he hasn't returned.
Scabe:link2: vs. Attila:falco:

Yet I haven't even mentioned many -- Catpuke, who stuck with Link during Brawl and improved rapidly. No good footage was ever made of him, but he earned his respect in the community and is still doing great. M4ge is another forgotten giant, who doesn't even have footage to commerate him: a Link who could never equal the greats and beat himself up over it, though his presence was among my greatest joys on the boards. He played me often and those are some of my favorite Brawl memories. Others who have been with us for a very long time are Shin, Cyner, BluLink, Lord Xav1er and Rizen (once MES) -- but they are still around and active, and you can enjoy them right here.

Remember them when you play Link. We owe our community to them.

Link users and mains! should the shield and the sword
Be beaten while we do the work of our Lord,
Forget not the Links who in Brawl tread our path:
Bury your sheets, we owe them our wrath!

We who proudly bear a sword and a bow,
Must continue in these worried times, now.
Remember the blood at Brawl Link's poor feet;
So sad a fate we never will meet.

Farewell to Jab one, but never Links part,
Warriors of Hyrule, dear to my heart!
Great is our pride, boundless our sway
And we will move on, starting today.
Geez DF, you're making me get all teary eyed over here...

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Geez DF, you're making me get all teary eyed over here...
It's surprising how touching it can be to recall those days. I was 12 - 15 then, and they had a big impact on my formative years, that much is certain. Let us remember them in these dark days, and celebrate with an active Xat as of days old:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Edit: So do you guys have any advice when it comes to visiting your first tournament that I should keep in mind? Currently practicing my Falcon and Sheik as well, because I know I'll need them at some point.
Yeah, don't try ATs and setups that you aren't comfortable with. Be sure to practice offline and don't play wifi for a few days before the tourney. Make the best choices, not the flashiest. The most important thing is to have fun; when you get too serious you'll get nervous and choke.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I even forgot guys like Bwill, Saint, lootic and DeTa, Twistedsteel, TeMPeST, Owl and Aurashade. So many! :sadeyes: Ah well -- let them be, they're dead and gone: they're with Brawl's Link in the grave. We won't weigh too lightly what they gave.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Also, here's KirinBlaze on the patch: "Oh my ****ing god Link can't Jab one to ANYTHING anymore. **** you too, Sakurai."

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
You guys could always pick up villager :) I've been having tons of fun with that character

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
It's times like these that make me just want to quit this game and play Hyrule Warriors instead...

Still, a part of me wants to remain skeptical about how bad it really is. I mean, dang, he still won't be at the level he was in Brawl, right?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Still, a part of me wants to remain skeptical about how bad it really is. I mean, dang, he still won't be at the level he was in Brawl, right?
That's like saying falling off a 2 story building still isn't as bad as falling off a skyscraper.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
That's like saying falling off a 2 story building still isn't as bad as falling off a skyscraper.
Well, yeah, I don't mean to imply the nerf isn't a horrible one, because it is. The question is how horrible it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom