• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I learned many thing since I've joined the link boards and have. Been playing since 64

1 the less you say the better. Lurking is op and you can learn more by listening than trying to make a point.

2 veterans are usually right. Especially on how link performs. However they can absolutely focus on negatives and drawbacks too much.

3 you don't need vids to prove yourself. I have no vids. I have no recording material nor do I know how. So I'm not a very recognizable player. But those who I play at local tourneys highly respect me. If I was good enough to win with a low tier others would have taken vids for me and they would do the same for you

4 play to win but don't be disappointed when you dont. Placing 6th out of 20 is pretty respectable for a low tier. You'll get recognized by the locals trust me.

Last edited:

TNS|Quake

Smash Rookie
So do you guys have any advice when it comes to visiting your first tournament that I should keep in mind?
The match isn't over until it's over. Don't be mentally defeated when someone takes a stock for free. Sit on that platform. Think.
Stay at character/stage select after a loss for a while and visualize both why they won and how to stop that. Adapt.
Always remain humble and respectful to both noobs and asshole great players alike. Everybody has something to teach.
Ask someone who beats you "what could I have done differently?" If they're cool they'll tell you.
Play as many casual sets with people as you can after you inevitably lose to learn as much as possible.
Finally, CEO is Florida's best Smash/fighting game tournament and is being held in June in your hometown. If you can't make TNS make damned sure you make this one. It's always amazing. https://ceogaming.org/

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I learned many thing since I've joined the link boards and have. Been playing since 64

1 the less you say the better. Lurking is op and you can learn more by listening than trying to make a point.

2 veterans are usually right. Especially on how link performs. However they can absolutely focus on negatives and drawbacks too much.

3 you don't need vids to prove yourself. I have no vids. I have no recording material nor do I know how. So I'm not a very recognizable player. But those who I play at local tourneys highly respect me

4 play to win but don't be disappointed when you dont. Placing 6th out of 20 is pretty respectable for a low tier. You'll get recognized by the locals trust me.
This guy gets it

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless

3 you don't need vids to prove yourself. I have no vids. I have no recording material nor do I know how. So I'm not a very recognizable player. But those who I play at local tourneys highly respect me

They only focus on negatives because newcomers completely disregard them.

Like saying "Link was possibly high tier" or "I think Link might be the answer to Diddy Kong". I think you catch my drift.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
We focus on negatives because someone has to ground these unblooded kids. We've seen this before, they haven't. As Martin says: "Winter is coming and these are the Knights of Summer"

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Link seems pretty OP with this patch update IMHO.

Diddy got nerfed and Sakurai said in an interview that Link is too strong on For Glory.

:093:

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217

Diddy got nerfed and Sakurai said in an interview that Link is too strong on For Glory.

Too strong on for glory? Sakurai... @_@

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless

I heard Sonic was better than Rosalina and ZSS, that goshdarned spindash is so safe on block and does WAY too much damage.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

Like saying "Link was possibly high tier" or "I think Link might be the answer to Diddy Kong". I think you catch my drift.
We focus on negatives because someone has to ground these unblooded kids. We've seen this before, they haven't. As Martin says: "Winter is coming and these are the Knights of Summer"
This. If you look at my posts lately they probably seem soul crushingly depressing. But it's mostly because this influx of people now don't see this as a big deal. It is. We're having to drive this point home to the less experienced players and maybe it makes it sound like we're whining. We're not. We're just being realistic. We're not going to sugarcoat it and say Link can still be high tier if you just BELIEVE! But we're having to reiterate ourselves, which makes us sound negative.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I heard Sonic was better than Rosalina and ZSS, that goshdarned spindash is so safe on block and does WAY too much damage.
Especially now that ZSS is left untouched, Sonic's nerfs make him a top 1 character imho.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
This. If you look at my posts lately they probably seem soul crushingly depressing. But it's mostly because this influx of people now don't see this as a big deal. It is. We're having to drive this point home to the less experienced players and maybe it makes it sound like we're whining. We're not. We're just being realistic. We're not going to sugarcoat it and say Link can still be high tier if you just BELIEVE! But we're having to reiterate ourselves, which makes us sound negative.
gallery_JUSTIN BIEBER-GALLERY2.jpg

I felt this was necessary.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Trust me I get the whole teach the kids thing. As a vet myself I agree with everything that has been said by the vets. But I also want to encourage the rookies to find their own path. Once they've gained enough experience they'll understand and hopefully evolve their game to overcome.

To all the rooks listen to the vets. The jab nerf was huge. But 1 move rarely defines a character. Take what is said in stride and go to a few tournies. Push yourself to the limit and improve. Then come back and share your experience with us. It's at that point where we want to hear how you were able to overcome nerds and hard match ups in order to succeed.

Vets however don't want to waste the time reading posts of those who have never been to a tourney and that's why they are harsh . So go out there and do it!!! You'll earn tons of respect from us! It's better than for glory!

Last edited:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Trust me I get the whole teach the kids thing. But I also want to encourage the rookies to find their own path. Once they've gained enough experience they'll understand and hopefully evolve their game to overcome.

To all the rooks listen to the vets. The jab nerf was huge. But 1 move rarely defines a character. Take what is said in stride and go to a few tournies. Push yourself to the limit and improve. Then come back and share your experience with us. It's at that point where we want to hear how you were able to overcome nerds and hard match ups in order to succeed.

Vets however don't want to waste the time reading posts of those who have never been to a tourney and that's why they are harsh . So go out there and do it!!!
Your post was great but.....

This made me laugh.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Lol that is funny. I meant to say nerfs but I like it the way it is.

Somebody make me a link motivational poster!

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'm away from the boards for like 2 days and there's a devastating rebalance and ten new pages of posts!? I'll never leave again I promise!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol that is funny. I meant to say nerfs but I like it the way it is.

Somebody make me a link motivational poster!
Sonics have 'go on a winning steak' we have 'overcome the nerds', I like it.

God I am so ****ing sick of everything. Link gets nerfed because Sak sees idiots in FG, the wifi's worse than on the wii, no adventure for BS like Master Orders and Smash Tour :facepalm: Why the hell do I even play this game. You try and try and it keeps kicking you in the balls. Just like life there's no ****ing way to get ahead without being a sellout w****. I'm just disgusted and sick of everything.

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
Just when I thought that Link would be buffed since he was pretty darn low on the Japanese tier list...

Been trying to adapt to the loss of our beloved Jab 1, but it's been difficult.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Sonics have 'go on a winning steak' we have 'overcome the nerds', I like it.

God I am so ****ing sick of everything. Link gets nerfed because Sak sees idiots in FG, the wifi's worse than on the wii, no adventure for BS like Master Orders and Smash Tour :facepalm: Why the hell do I even play this game. You try and try and it keeps kicking you in the balls. Just like life there's no ****ing way to get ahead without being a sellout w****. I'm just disgusted and sick of everything.
How do you think I feel? lol I've been trying to pick up Link for a while since Charizard has been struggling with me and now this. Plus, not much was made better for my other main. I'm particularly salty about how we can't use tilts with items on hand anymore along with other characters who could. I just pray nothing happens with Bomb Dropping in the future; then I'd know for certain Sakurai hates Link. lol

Also, berserker. That was a hilarious vid. xD

Rizen

Smash Legend
So many new and infrequent posters show up now that Link received huge nerfs. Are Link players really so glutton for punishment? :confused:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
So many new and infrequent posters show up now that Link received huge nerfs. Are Link players really so glutton for punishment? :confused:
I mean, I never really hang around that much on character boards or Smash 4 sub-forums all that much. Like I said, I'm trying to pick up Link ever since I saw Izaw's Art of Link 2. He seemed like he had some depth to me, so I decided to try and learn him in the case Charizard starts to get the Greninja treatment.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
greninja treatment...
isnt charizard low tier?
or is sakurai going to delude himself that flare blitz is too OP?

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
greninja treatment...
isnt charizard low tier?
or is sakurai going to delude himself that flare blitz is too OP?
That's the conception that he is "bottom tier". Apparently Flare Blitz is OP considering he does a bit more damage to himself, but whatever...

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
New poster but I've been lurking via mod little brother/slave @berserker. hehe

Also, I forgot to introduce myself to the Link boards.

Hi guys! Been lurking around the boards since the early Brawl days and even at some point in the distant past posted with my brother's account before. I've been maining Link since 64 but had him on second in both Melee and PM. Although I started expressing interest in competitive metagame in Brawl, it was only in Sm4sh that I truly went competitive.

FSK

Smash Ace
New poster but I've been lurking via mod little brother/slave @berserker. hehe

Also, I forgot to introduce myself to the Link boards.

Hi guys! Been lurking around the boards since the early Brawl days and even at some point in the distant past posted with my brother's account before. I've been maining Link since 64 but had him on second in both Melee and PM. Although I started expressing interest in competitive metagame in Brawl, it was only in Sm4sh that I truly went competitive.
Did you also move your lurking over to AiB when the great migration took place?

anyway welcome to the boards hope you have a great time, but don't forget to do work!

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
Did you also move your lurking over to AiB when the great migration took place?

anyway welcome to the boards hope you have a great time, but don't forget to do work!
I didn't know much about the whole AiB migration thing back then, so I ended up staying in Smashboards. :b:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

#1: Never said that. Like, ever.
#2: I knew I was mistaken the second I had posted that.
#3: Stop being a ****.
The match isn't over until it's over. Don't be mentally defeated when someone takes a stock for free. Sit on that platform. Think.
Stay at character/stage select after a loss for a while and visualize both why they won and how to stop that. Adapt.
Always remain humble and respectful to both noobs and ******* great players alike. Everybody has something to teach.
Ask someone who beats you "what could I have done differently?" If they're cool they'll tell you.
Play as many casual sets with people as you can after you inevitably lose to learn as much as possible.
Finally, CEO is Florida's best Smash/fighting game tournament and is being held in June in your hometown. If you can't make TNS make damned sure you make this one. It's always amazing. https://ceogaming.org/
Awesome, I'll try to be there if I can. Thanks for this. Link has the tools to still make it into mid tier, and I hope to prove it there.

If Link gets another really bad nerf, I'm running back to PM for the most part. I hope Orlando has a scene for it.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Awesome, I'll try to be there if I can. Thanks for this. Link has the tools to still make it into mid tier, and I hope to prove it there.

If Link gets another really bad nerf, I'm running back to PM for the most part. I hope Orlando has a scene for it.
Just be sure to not go full emo when you lose in the tourney. Even if you are good, you will always lose on your first real tourney and in stupid ways. Has nothing to do with actual skill.; it's just what happens.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Scabe took good care of SWF here then too. Wouldn't want to have is job, handling all the scrubs who never moved. The man was kind almost to a fault.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Just be sure to not go full emo when you lose in the tourney. Even if you are good, you will always lose on your first real tourney and in stupid ways. Has nothing to do with actual skill.; it's just what happens.
I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully I can prevent that from happening and at least place well. If not, oh well. There's always a next time.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Yea, one more edge lord who threatens to slit his wrists after a tourney and I'd need a break. Find some of my tourney results by searching "dumbfire" and see how I fair half the time.

Last edited:

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully I can prevent that from happening and at least place well. If not, oh well. There's always a next time.
True. Unless you're a complete natural that somehow has more matchup experience than seasoned veteran Smashers in your local community, your first tournament will likely be a learning experience. If you lose, use what you learn to get better next tournament. I got 9th in my first tournament, then 7th in the next one then 5th after that one. Losing makes you better as long as you don't let it affect you negatively :)

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
1. Never used your name
2. Then edit your posts. Better yet, why post it at all? Obviously you realized it was false.
3. I think a chill pill is needed here.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
1. Never used your name
2. Then edit your posts. Better yet, why post it at all? Obviously you realized it was false.
3. I think a chill pill is needed here.
#1: Your post obviously references me.
#2: I did, at least in the AT thread's OP.
#3: Ok.

Top Bottom