• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Just be sure to not go full emo when you lose in the tourney. Even if you are good, you will always lose on your first real tourney and in stupid ways. Has nothing to do with actual skill.; it's just what happens.
Tell that to Ally lmao

Dude just showed up and beat mew2king

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Tell that to Ally lmao

Dude just showed up and beat mew2king
There's always the weird exception. Although I bet that even that tourney wasn't Ally's first. I'm talking about your first tourney performance.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Wow, after reading through some posts here, it seems like I've gotten loads of crap talk before I could even fully explain myself. Lol, talk about assumin'. Some of you should really learn to think before you act.

Edit: I'm bored as ****. Nothing to do on weekends.

Last edited:

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
So…Link's new strategies. Should we make a board about it? I and I'm sure a few others are stumped on the next move.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Warning Received
Wow, after reading through some posts here, it seems like I've gotten loads of crap talk before I could even fully explain myself. Lol, talk about assumin'. Some of you should really learn to think before you act.

I must congratulate you, for you are now among one of the most stupid pieces of **** that has ever posted on our boards. And trust me; such a title is not easily obtained.
It is really quite obvious you are severely stupid and you have a disablity when it comes to learning things, therefore I would highly suggest for you to stop posting a while before you only make more of a complete idiot out of yourself, if you are unable to see the extreme irony in your post then I am afraid I must hereby officially mark you as a brainless ******.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Warning Received

I’m angry as ****, idiots posting
They can't stop their inane boasting.

You can’t conceal your ***********
Since that sad patch came our poor way:
Get out now, it’s your last station –
Count your blessings – time to pray.

Last edited:

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
I'm serious, does anyone have a suggestion for Link? I'm stuck on what to do....

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I must congratulate you, for you are now among one of the most stupid pieces of **** that has ever posted on our boards. And trust me; such a title is not easily obtained.
It is really quite obvious you are severely stupid and you have a disablity when it comes to learning things, therefore I would highly suggest for you to stop posting a while before you only make more of a complete idiot out of yourself, if you are unable to see the extreme irony in your post then I am afraid I must hereby officially mark you as a brainless ******.
Buddy, your hate posts are not needed. They are completely unnecessary.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I'm serious, does anyone have a suggestion for Link? I'm stuck on what to do....
There's a discussion on the Metagame thread about Link's future. Record a match if you need any other help, we'll need specifics. (Pointing a camera/mobile at your TV is fine for critique.) But we're all kind of stumped at the moment.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
There's a discussion on the Metagame thread about Link's future. Record a match if you need any other help, we'll need specifics. (Pointing a camera/mobile at your TV is fine for critique.) But we're all kind of stumped at the moment.
Okay, thank you for telling me. I'm going to a tournament on Sunday, and I'm kinda flipping out because I know not what I will do.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
You must understand what we -- they -- have been through. So many have left us.
****ing tears DF... man, 2008 was like the best year for this boards... the AiB migration & PM becoming a thing(at that time it was brawl+) made me drop brawl just like most of these guys eventually did, but yeah, as a blue Link watching such players like Deva was an inspiration for me.

I have been playing Sm4sh more lately, but just casually, gonna drop by to the metagame discussion later, get a video and ask for criticism based on that.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
****ing tears DF... man, 2008 was like the best year for this boards... the AiB migration & PM becoming a thing(at that time it was brawl+) made me drop brawl just like most of these guys eventually did, but yeah, as a blue Link watching such players like Deva was an inspiration for me.

I have been playing Sm4sh more lately, but just casually, gonna drop by to the metagame discussion later, get a video and ask for criticism based on that.
Ahhh, the glory days. It was Brawl and were were at the bottom, but there was a family and it was beautiful. :3

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I feel so left out with this 2014 join date...

There are some days that I really regret not making my old account premium and doing the name change. If only I had known. :(

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
I didn't say For Glory strategies. lol
We don't really have a choice. Link was weakened up-close by the new patch. Plus, I've always played full-defensive with Link despite how boring and unflashy it is. It maybe ugly, but it works too if you could use your projectiles right.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I regret to creating my account and joining the boards in 2008 when I first stumbled in here, but oh well.

@ Catana Catana I'd hug you if I could. Your posts always make my day.

I finally played today again...and I felt the need. I was really at a loss as to what to do other than spam and camp. Felt just like brawl again; spamming and running away hoping they didn't come close. Using sword just to keep them away, to hit them and then run away again.

@ MintyGuy700 MintyGuy700 , until we find our footing again and redevelop the meta, that's all we can tell you to do. We're all trying to scramble back up again.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
That's what this patch says to me as well... they reverted us back to the campy, spam-happy ways of Brawl...

I was so excited to think that Link would finally be able to make use of his sword and shield. I'm as disgusted as I was in the days of Brawl right now.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
I regret to creating my account and joining the boards in 2008 when I first stumbled in here, but oh well.

@ Catana Catana I'd hug you if I could. Your posts always make my day.

I finally played today again...and I felt the need. I was really at a loss as to what to do other than spam and camp. Felt just like brawl again; spamming and running away hoping they didn't come close. Using sword just to keep them away, to hit them and then run away again.

@ MintyGuy700 MintyGuy700 , until we find our footing again and redevelop the meta, that's all we can tell you to do. We're all trying to scramble back up again.
I feel the same, just played some FG for the first time since the patch. It was just two matches before my roommate kicked me off (gamecube controller is noisy and she has a final tomorrow).

Anyways key points I took out of the two matches were quite simple.

1. It's hard to finish a stock safely now with lack of jab cancelling.
2. But Links STILL has setups to kill moves. They are just awkward and far more risky.

The setup (outside of bombs) revolves around Bair. If you cancel the first hit of Bair at kill percentage and depending on your opponent's fall speed Up Tilt, Down Smash (Up Smash against floaties?) or Grab are your options after the hit confirm. Alternatively if both hits of Bair land and they miss their tech it is possible to arrow reset them. Depending on the distance you could get anything to the minimum of a dash attack.

I'm sure quite a few are aware Bair can do such things but given the changes this now has to become very important to Link given how committal Link's kill moves are.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Patch 1.0.6 can be summed up in: "Sakurai woke up one day and facepalmed upon remembering that he had forgotten to make Link bottom tier."

The problem now is that we got no real setups of anything. Our options have been halved and everything we do is too risky with not enough reward.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
I seriously hate Sakurai. He tried to get rid of Smashers in Brawl. Then he fooled us into thinking he liked competitive play. I'm glad he's not making the next game.

Edit (2021): What was I thinking with this post?

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I seriously hate Sakurai. He tried to get rid of Smashers in Brawl. Then he fooled us into thinking he liked competitive play. I'm glad he's not making the next game.
You're talking about the guy that said there wasn't going to be any more balancing after patch 1.0.5

Trust me...he'll be making the next game

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
You're talking about the guy that said there wasn't going to be any more balancing after patch 1.0.5

Trust me...he'll be making the next game
He never said he wouldn't make a new balance patch. He said there wasn't one in the near future.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Wait, is he seriously stepping off Smash after this one?
If so, thank god. It's about time.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
He say the same thing when Brawl was coming out...
Even if he did, Sakurai has immense pain in his right arm. And it's not getting better. He went through physical pain to make this game.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Yo guys i made a pretty fun challege for us link mains. The challenge is to go a full round with 3 stocks with a lv9 cpu WITHOUT using your sword. You can only use your gadgets and no master sword. You can't even up b if your falling. If you hit with the sword or even bring it out you fail the challenge! I tried it myself and it will take a long time to finish but it is fun and can help you with spacing you and your opponent. Try the challenge your self save the replay and maybe upload it to the thread. Also omega stages only and no up throw kills.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yo guys i made a pretty fun challege for us link mains. The challenge is to go a full round with 3 stocks with a lv9 cpu WITHOUT using your sword. You can only use your gadgets and no master sword. You can't even up b if your falling. If you hit with the sword or even bring it out you fail the challenge! I tried it myself and it will take a long time to finish but it is fun and can help you with spacing you and your opponent. Try the challenge your self save the replay and maybe upload it to the thread. Also omega stages only and no up throw kills.
My favorite challenge is to try to beat a level 3 computer with your ass. Just mash the controller against your cheeks and see if you can beat them!

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Be honest. Sakurai can't really make Link worse, the loss of jab cancel is as bad as it gets. Instead we should look forward to Sakurai's patches and hope he cripples the rest of the Smash cast.

Top Bottom