• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link bomb Strats/Tricks guide! by SUB_ZERO

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm SUB_ZERO and i started playing link recently and have noticed the lack of bombs used. So i practiced with bombs finding some useful ways to use bombs to your advantage. Here it goes!

All done with the GC controller. I have not tested the Wiimote and do not intend to either.

Nearly all of these tactics use Bomb dropping, this is done by hitting Z on your controller.

Note: before we start a quick reminder
ADVANCED BOMB TECHNIQUES VIDEO UP!!!!!!: http://youtube.com/watch?v=S2QiCMuunQk

Bomb dropping: Drops the bomb in the air, many follow ups, can be used as an alternative throw.

How to Perform:
Jump> Z

This drops the bomb below you, VERY useful.

Footstool bomb drop: To do this, Jump on the opponents head and whilst in the air drop the bomb with z, hitting the opponent. This can lead to combos and on higher percentages death if used in conjunction with other moves. An example is Dair.

How to Perform:
Footstool > Drop bomb > (whilst above the opponent) Dair

this racks up quite a bit of damage when done correctly.

Bomb Plant : Jump and as soon as your bomb is above the platform, hit Z. This will leave the bomb on the platform, sitting there.

How to Perform:
Jump>Z when just about to hit platform.

Drop the Bomb HERE. ^

This is quite like snake grenade drop, except this is harder, requires a bit of practice.

This can be used to catch an opponent off guard and can be picked up later be hitting A next to it. A good way to get this is to jump and airdodge, this will allow you to grab the bomb relatively safely. One problem is that the bombs do blow up quickly. So grabbing them may not be the best idea.

I'm also pretty sure that you CAN NOT drop bombs on the ground. This can only be done with Toon Link.

Bomb smashing: (Thanks Izaw for your guide!) Extremlely useful, most likely THE BEST bomb technique.
This is done in more than 2 ways.
But i am only going to give 2 examples with pictures.

The First:
Pull bomb while holding A>C-stick to smash

Hold the A button NOW.^

The second: (when forgetting to press a during the bomb pick.)

Roll with bomb>Hold A when rolling> C-stick to smash.

Hold the A button NOW.^

Other examples: Boomerang, Bow, up B. All these can include a bomb smash by holding a during the start up time lag through to the finishing lag.

"You can technically bomb smash out of anything link has lag on. that was just a few set ups i think are the most important."

-ArkiveZero

This technique can be used for mindgames and a LOT of other things! Be creative!
(More ways to do this in the video!)

Drop, Aerial, Catch:

How to perform:
Short hop>Z>Aerial (catch)
The catch usually done automatically when doing the aerial.

(Funny how time flies while doing this move, afternoon,day,night,day...)

This is one of links best moves he can do with his bomb, it packs a punch, is unexpected, great for mindgames and best of all, it leads to combo's. (Thank you Izaw again)

Izaw's guide covers Bomb smashing and Drop, Aerial, catch extremely well. Take a look here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167650

Bomb smash and Drop, Aerial, Catch is from 5:40 to 7:08

Bomb Fakeout/Bomb Slide This is a DAC (Dash attack cancel) with a bomb that throws the bomb across but link has the up throw (for a bomb) animation going.

How to perform:
pull a bomb> run> C-down> Z-up

This is a great mindgame! Use it to your advantage when oppenents are above you, Bomb fakeout and then land a nasty Uair on them. Great for mindgames.

Platform drop up throw: Simple, but effective and uses the drop to your advantage.

How to perform:
Drop through platform> C-Stick up

This throws the bomb up during your falling time. Doing this takes advantage of your falling time and often ends up catching the opponent off guard.

Platform drop, Bomb plant

This is just another way the bomb plant, but this one is harder and can be used in different ways, but not many.

How to perform:

Drop through platform>Z (when halfway through)

This can be easier to do then the normal bomb plant, but it needs practice.

Platform drop, bomb (exploding)

This is another great thing you can do if the opponents is on the platform with you or about to land on the platform. It makes the bomb explode on the platform without harming you.

How to perform:

Drop through platform>Z (earlier than the Platform drop bomb plant, See above)

This is one of my favourite bomb tricks as the opponent is not often expecting it. Use it to your advantage as this is one of the least expected bomb tricks as it goes off straight away.

Up throw bomb trick: Pretty simple, throwing a bomb upwards and then throwing the opponent into it. Can be used to kill at higher percentages.

How to perform:

Pull a bomb>Throw upwards>grab opponent>Up throw into bomb.

This leads to follow ups

I quite like this but it is easily dodged, still useful though.

Bomb edgeguarding: Simple enough, Chuck a bomb while opponent is hogging the ledge. Blasts the opponent off the edge and can lead to other things. My most used use of this is to quickly grab the ledge my self and Zair edgehog (also in Izaw's guide)

Bomb place, roll: This is a bomb drop, just as your about to hit the ground, it explodes without injuring you.

How to perform:

Short hop>Just as you are about the ground>Z>hit stick in any direction (to roll)

Press Z NOW. ^

This isn't very useful but can come in handy at times. This is a way to throw a bomb at close without hitting yourself.

Shield pressure bombs: Shield Pressured bombs - When an enemy is shielding, throw a bomb at them. 99.99% of the time they will keep their shield up, and drop it after the bomb bounces off. This is when you ZAC the bomb and land a free hit.
-ArkiveZero

How to perform:
Throw a bomb at a sheilded opponent> When bomb bounces off> Do a Z-Aerial-catch>land a hit.

Ledgehop Bombs : You can ledgehop, pull out a bomb, and regrab the edge all in one motion. this allows you to grab a bomb out and edgeguard at the same time. Using this tactic you can also ledgehop throw a bomb and pull out another one before you even land back onto the stage.
-ArkiveZero

How to perform:
Get on ledge>Drop down>Insta-Jump>Pull bomb while going up>land on edge, bomb in hand (can be DI'd onto stage)

Ledgehop Bomb v2 : Ledge hopping and throwing a bomb on the first frames of release, then pulling out another bomb before you even hit the ground. Allows you to safely return to the stage and stay equipped at the same time.
-ArkiveZero

Zair bombs: Pretty simple, extremely useful. Can be used for mindgames and such.

How to perform:
Jump>airdodge>Zair

This is EXTREMELY useful

Can be used to edgeguard which is also very useful

Stage Bombing
- On stages like Yoshi's Story you can blow yourself up and DI into the blast to increase your vertical recovery.

-ArkiveZero

Mid air dodge bomb drop: Midair dodging and then dropping a bomb during the first few frames. Extremely annoying tactic to others, its mainly used for a safe defensive retreat.[/COLOR]

-How to perform
Airdodge>Z (early frames)

-ArkiveZero and Link, he come to town...

Ledge canceled bomb pull : Using the craq walk to fall of of a platform/stage jumping once you fall of and pulling out a bomb (you can do this from a bair or nair)
-ArkiveZero

Ledgehop bomb plant

This is actually surprisingly useful. It'll plant a bomb right on the edge waiting to explode.
I use this more to edgeguard because sometimes when on the edge you it wont explode quick enough. If you are on the edge and someone is standing just above you, the bomb will simply explode instead of plant.

How to perform:
Ledgehop bomb (see above)>Z (when just above the edge, like a normal bomb plant).

The bomb should just be sitting there, waiting to explode :)

Bomb Footstool (bomb before jump)

Great new find (found by Linkforce) I haven't really tried this much, but it seems to work well. Great work Linkforce

How to perform:
Short Hop > Down Throw > Footstool.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTWL01pmXlU

Note:
ADVANCED BOMB TECHNIQUES VIDEO UP!!!!!!: http://youtube.com/watch?v=S2QiCMuunQk

Special Thanks:
ArkiveZero : For giving me info on many things, giving me heaps more AT's, Making the Video and just being plain AWESOME.

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Please tell me what i need to change!

And also tell me your own bomb tricks for me to add!

Thanks in advance

fighter619

Smash Rookie
Woot

Nice Man U Rock Man WOOT
P.S META KNIGHT IS CHEAP AND GAY
o yer and good strat lol i might start usin him.

D

Deleted member

Nice Man U Rock Man WOOT
P.S META KNIGHT IS CHEAP AND GAY
o yer and good strat lol i might start usin him.
what does that have to do with anything?

btw everybody already knows everything in this guide because all of it is so.... basic

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sub Zero, you don't have to mind the fact that your thread gives simple techniques. If there's ANYTHING that I need improved on Link (which is a lot), my most needed thing on Link is his bombing stuff.
Sorry if I sound really noobish but this thread helped a lot.

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Well, Sub Zero, you don't have to mind the fact that your thread gives simple techniques. If there's ANYTHING that I need improved on Link (which is a lot), my most needed thing on Link is his bombing stuff.
Sorry if I sound really noobish but this thread helped a lot.
Well if i have helped one person, my job is done :) This was just to help.

And Jink i am aware of that thread, but this is specifically for bomb techniques. they may be simple, but many are effective.

D

Deleted member

yea i have 2 AT's for you

Ledge hop Bombs

Shield Pressure bombs

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
I think i have one...i havent tried it though
I call it Gale bomb guiding
What you do is get a bomb and drop it with Z..from there throw your Gale Boomerang horizontally either side of you then run the opposite direction. When the boomerang comes back as a tornado it should bring the bomb along with it.
If it works, then this trick is good for disrupting the opponent's path of landing (if falling) so you can anticipate his/her next move which is great for mind games. If you use this in combat and you some how manage to get your opponent on the side of the bomb travel then it should connect and open opportunities for combos.
I hope that works...if it doesn't then I apologize =P

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
I think i have one...i havent tried it though
I call it Gale bomb guiding
What you do is get a bomb and drop it with Z..from there throw your Gale Boomerang horizontally either side of you then run the opposite direction. When the boomerang comes back as a tornado it should bring the bomb along with it.
If it works, then this trick is good for disrupting the opponent's path of landing (if falling) so you can anticipate his/her next move which is great for mind games. If you use this in combat and you some how manage to get your opponent on the side of the bomb travel then it should connect and open opportunities for combos.
I hope that works...if it doesn't then I apologize =P
Hmm seems useful, try it and get back to me. Thanks for helping.

Legan

Smash Lord
I see you got alot of crap here and on AIB for trying to post something constructive. I say dont worry about what most of these people say. That is actually the kind of bs that drives me away from the link boards. Everyone thinks they know it all and everyone here is a pro link apparently. We have a troll specifically for these purposes, we dont need half the link boards flaming every post that tries to help.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I saw this first at AiB...

Well, I guess it's the same thing both places. A nice little book of tricks but not the most useful thing to everyone. Could help people new to Link though.

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Yup, i gave up at AiB, because i didn't get one constructive post, i wanted to make it better, but everyone just flamed.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I see you got alot of crap here and on AIB for trying to post something constructive. I say dont worry about what most of these people say. That is actually the kind of bs that drives me away from the link boards. Everyone thinks they know it all and everyone here is a pro link apparently. We have a troll specifically for these purposes, we dont need half the link boards flaming every post that tries to help.
motherfucing yeah seriously listen to this guy.

I really wish we could make this an announcement, seriously.

also wtf this is a good thread why do you get crap lumped on?

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
WOW, i got complimented by Aurashade, i think? lol.
But thanks guys, people are actually starting to help me make this guide better, which is what i originally planned. Thanks guys, keep helping me with Bomb AT's and this thread will have done what it was supposed to do, Help.

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Today, I took pictures for where to place bombs etc. To give a better explanation than just words. Expect a few pictures to go with some explanations tomorrow. (Australia remember lol) I will eventually get round to putting pictures with every tactic, no matter how easy, so bare with me.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
is it true that you can bomb drop with link (plant a bomb on the ground without blowing it up) if so, how the hell do you do it? is the timing similar to toon link because i can bomb drop with him at will

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
is it true that you can bomb drop with link (plant a bomb on the ground without blowing it up) if so, how the hell do you do it? is the timing similar to toon link because i can bomb drop with him at will
I've been told he can, i haven't been able to do it (on flat surfaces, i can do it on flatforms)

I said he could but i sure can't, I'll need confirmation on that one. I'll get back to you.

P.S: Pictures are coming up now!

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Ok Will do. Maybe not too much though.

Another thing, i'm pretty sure that you can't bomb drop on the ground, only platforms. changed in guide.

Izaw

Smash Ace
There IS one more really Advanced and Mindgaming bomb technique but I'll reveal it soon ;)

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
There IS one more really Advanced and Mindgaming bomb technique but I'll reveal it soon ;)
Oooo... Interesting. What can Izaw possibly know about bombs that we don't? :0
I have a tournament to go to this coming Sunday. For the sake of Link's reputation at tournaments, you should tell me before that day. ;)

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
Oooo... Interesting. What can Izaw possibly know about bombs that we don't? :0
I have a tournament to go to this coming Sunday. For the sake of Link's reputation at tournaments, you should tell me before that day. ;)
Now i want to know lol. I wanna put it in the guide :p

talking about the guide i am finishing taking the pictures.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
You can air dodge and drop a bomb while you airdodge, timing is sort of tricky. here's a couple of examples of when it could be useful:
ex1: someone's being predictable and you need to airdodge, you have a bomb in hand, instead of just airdodging you can airdodge while dropping a bomb, they will end up attacking said bomb making it a pseudo counter, afterwards you can follow up(depending on their damage and trajectory) but don't drop it too soon to when they attack, or else they will just grab it, although that could be good if hte bomb is about to explode or something, or just to give restrict their a moves a little

ex2: you feel like tricking someone, you run up to them and jump then airdodge bomb drop, assuming they shield, the bomb will bounce off the shield and you will land behind them,if htey attack out of shield the bomb will land on them where you can follow up, assuming they don't shield the bomb blows up on them and you'll be in the middle of an airdodge and won't take damage, you can follow that up too.

Obviously these are a little situational but they're also good for just messing around, this is the bomb trick thread after all.
Oh yeah to perform it it's quite simple, but it has somewhat difficult timing, after 5 minutes of practice you should be able to do it fairly often though, you just airdodge, and right after, almost at the same time, you press a or z, if you do it too early, you'll drop the bomb, if you do it too late, you'll just airdodge or you will use your hookshot, and end up doing a zair with a bomb in hand.
P.S. this is using the default gc settings

Izaw

Smash Ace
Well... I played this one match on a tourney and i got so mad for one broken thing that i actually was crazy enough to try this bomb technique out and, wow... people where both shocked and applauding for it. But don't be too excited since this only is a really huge counter against 1 character....... I think <.<

Anyways the match where I randomly did this will be up anytime soon so.. yea...

And its not really a TECHNIQUE. It more like a "mindgame" or "strategi" that works everytime

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
hey zero i'd just like to say nice guide overall ...helpful to newer link players and the colors and pictures make it even better!
Thanks man, againm that's what i've been aiming for. And with a huge amount of help from ArkiveZero this guide has become actually pretty useful!

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
You can air dodge and drop a bomb while you airdodge, timing is sort of tricky. here's a couple of examples of when it could be useful:
ex1: someone's being predictable and you need to airdodge, you have a bomb in hand, instead of just airdodging you can airdodge while dropping a bomb, they will end up attacking said bomb making it a pseudo counter, afterwards you can follow up(depending on their damage and trajectory) but don't drop it too soon to when they attack, or else they will just grab it, although that could be good if hte bomb is about to explode or something, or just to give restrict their a moves a little

ex2: you feel like tricking someone, you run up to them and jump then airdodge bomb drop, assuming they shield, the bomb will bounce off the shield and you will land behind them,if htey attack out of shield the bomb will land on them where you can follow up, assuming they don't shield the bomb blows up on them and you'll be in the middle of an airdodge and won't take damage, you can follow that up too.

Obviously these are a little situational but they're also good for just messing around, this is the bomb trick thread after all.
Oh yeah to perform it it's quite simple, but it has somewhat difficult timing, after 5 minutes of practice you should be able to do it fairly often though, you just airdodge, and right after, almost at the same time, you press a or z, if you do it too early, you'll drop the bomb, if you do it too late, you'll just airdodge or you will use your hookshot, and end up doing a zair with a bomb in hand.
P.S. this is using the default gc settings
Added as well.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Well... I played this one match on a tourney and i got so mad for one broken thing that i actually was crazy enough to try this bomb technique out and, wow... people where both shocked and applauding for it. But don't be too excited since this only is a really huge counter against 1 character....... I think <.<

Anyways the match where I randomly did this will be up anytime soon so.. yea...

And its not really a TECHNIQUE. It more like a "mindgame" or "strategi" that works everytime
C'mon Izaw!! Tell! If it people were so amazed as you say, it must be amazing! :o Tell us! This could help out Link's meta game @_@ or not.

Top Bottom