• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lightspeed Interviews - The Sonic Community Interview Thread - KC be timing us out | And KID ↓

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
What inspired you to become such a driving force behind Sonic speedruns?

Does any of your knowledge of the Sonic games and the reflexes required to speedrun them get implemented into your Brawl gameplay?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
How's life?

What's your favourite Sonic game now?

What's your top 5 Sonic songs?

Have you read any Sonic comics?

What other games do you play?

Chilli dogs or steak?

What's your 100m sprint record?

What was the first speedrun you ever did?

Who do you consider your rival in Sonic speedruns?

What do you think of Chris Thorn****?

Do you bother reading all of your comments in your youtube channel?

Nostalgia Critic, Angry Video Game Nerd or Spoonyone?

Do you drive? If so, what car?

How does it feel to be the one and only Sonic?

Why must life be so hard?

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Didnt know this thread was back up lol.

So....

Cake or Pie?

Found any new sonic glitches?

Hows brawl coming along for you?

Family Guy or Black Dynomite?

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Do you play brawl with the mentality of doing good at brawl, or doing good with Sonic in brawl?
If you answered the former, do you have any secondaries?

How much of your talent is natural?

How much Brawl practice do you get compared to Sonic (I guess ratio or percentage?)

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but why the yellow Sonic?

When on a competitive level (Brawl and Sonic games) how much weight does your "know your limits, but don't limit yourself" slogan play?

What do you think of skips in general (and most notably the one on Final Rush) in speedrunning?

I've noticed when playing for fun, you don't take SEGA's deliberate shortcuts. Do you ever take them when playing for fun?

How much do you pay attention to Sonic on a casual level (story, gameplay [still non-competitive], music, etc.)

How much do you follow the other forms of Sonic media?

What do you think of Sonic's tier position?

Do you think Sonic the Fighters should be played competitively?

Kupo Rose

Don't worry, I asked D1AOS about this already. He'll be here.

Wow so many questions. I guess I don't need to input any. Lol
This isn't even that many. Tails would have a longer list of questions prepared if he still posted here lol.

I'll give this a week or less depending on activity then try get hold of D1AOS to answer these (unless he checks this thread and answers early).

NH Cody

Smash Champion
wait omg I just saw how 5 people actually voted to interview me a while back LOL

yall should have PM'd me or something...I didn't see this thread :(

I might break out Sonic next weekend. Interview question for D1AOS: do you have any recent brawl Sonic videos?

Kupo Rose

I think we all left it to Kinzer at the time lol. If people are willing to let you have a go again, then you can have shot.

@D1AOS: It's not necessary although everyone has done it, but if you can fill out these, that would be great. Just a simple way to get to know a person a lil' more. :)

Name:
Residence:
Race:

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
I think we all left it to Kinzer at the time lol. If people are willing to let you have a go again, then you can have shot.

@D1AOS: It's not necessary although everyone has done it, but if you can fill out these, that would be great. Just a simple way to get to know a person a lil' more. :)

Name: Carlos Johnson
Residence: Suffolk, VA
Race: African American

There's that, I'll try to knock out these questions throughout today.

Edit: Color changed for enhanced readability. ;)

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
D1AOS: where have you been the last year and a half?

The same places I've always been for the most part. My lack of appearances on the forums is due to me not being much of a forum guy (I didn't even know this thread existed until this month for example). As for my lack of appearances in the tournament aspect of brawl, it's primarily due to having a pretty dead brawl scene here in SoVA. Although I do enjoy playing brawl, it somewhat irks me knowing that I have to travel at least 3 and a half hours just to go to a tournament. However, I would have gone to APEX 2013 had I not already decided to go to Awesome Games Done Quick (monetary reasons).
:phone:
Question answered~

Edit: Color changed for enhanced readability ;)

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
The same places I've always been for the most part. My lack of appearances on the forums is due to me not being much of a forum guy (I didn't even know this thread existed until this month for example). As for my lack of appearances in the tournament aspect of brawl, it's primarily due to having a pretty dead brawl scene here in SoVA. Although I do enjoy playing brawl, it somewhat irks me knowing that I have to travel at least 3 and a half hours just to go to a tournament. However, I would have gone to APEX 2013 had I not already decided to go to Awesome Games Done Quick (monetary reasons).
In case you can't read it JMan.

@D1AOS: Don't think JMan and Kupo can read that font.

Kupo Rose

I can read the blue colour just fine. It's just annoying having to tilt my monitor to make it more visible.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Or you could use Ctrl+A.

Not sure if it's too late, but I have three:

1) You're trapped on an island with five people for a long period of time. Who is trapped with you?

2) If you can visit any places in the world, which would be your favorite places to see?

3) Double Sonic team at the next event we're both at? :D

:applejack:

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I am generally on my phone when on the boards. So.... computer tricks like monitor tilting do not work. And since i would have to highlight with a janky *** touch screen... im forced to expand it to max size and study the writing. It's just very irksome to do so...

but thank you Froggy, had i read that on my phone instead of my (functioning for 1 week straight now) laptop, it'd have been needed ;)

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I am generally on my phone when on the boards. So.... computer tricks like monitor tilting do not work. And since i would have to highlight with a janky *** touch screen... im forced to expand it to max size and study the writing. It's just very irksome to do so...

but thank you Froggy, had i read that on my phone instead of my (functioning for 1 week straight now) laptop, it'd have been needed ;)
Oh, alright.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
D1AOS: Why do you break all my Sonic games? Lol

Because breaking Sonic games is my favorite pastime. :awesome:

Why don't you respond to any of my imaginary messages?

I have, you just just haven't been reading my imaginary responses. :cool:

(Will think of serious ones later lol)
Answered because why not? :p

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
What inspired you to become such a driving force behind Sonic speedruns?

It all started back on gamefaqs in early 2007. I originally had no interest in speedrunning whatsoever, as my main interest was breaking video games (primarily Sonic games of course). I discovered a glitch against the final boss of Sonic's story in Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 06) which allowed me to achieve a time that many would think to be unattainable, though I had a hard time explaining it on gamefaqs. It was at that time that I decided to make a YouTube account under the name DarkspinesSonic and upload a video of the glitch as a visual aid to compensate for my lack of a proper explanation of what needed to be done. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKoTVSiPbg) This eventually led to me showing a few more videos which exploited the use of Sonic's gems to achieve faster times, and I later caught the attention of a member from TSC (The Sonic Center) known as F-Man. He told me about the competition site and that he thought it would be something I would have an interest in. I loved every moment of competition, the rivalries formed, and the friends made. The rest is history~

Does any of your knowledge of the Sonic games and the reflexes required to speedrun them get implemented into your Brawl gameplay?

Indeed it does, whenever I play a brawl match as Sonic I feel as if I'm playing another Sonic game. Although the atmosphere of playing a fighting game with a human opponent varies quite a bit from playing a Sonic game with most aspects being static, they both share similar concepts as well. As a glitch hunter and speedrunner I try my best to understand the game I play, the opposition, what works, and backup strategies if things don't necessarily go as planned. This has helped me in brawl quite a bit, especially considering that I'm not big on playing fighting games in general.
Done and done

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
How's life?

Life is great, I finished getting my Bachelor's in Electronics Engineering smoothly and I'm still enjoying a relatively long break. I'm still making awesome Sonic videos, becoming more active in the speedrunning community, helped raised money to prevent cancer while meeting some friends in person which I had only chatted with behind a computer screen prior to. Currently, the good definitely outweighs the bad and I'm loving life.

What's your favourite Sonic game now?

Sonic Heroes

What's your top 5 Sonic songs?

That's a tough one...I would say (in no particular order) Open Your Heart, It Doesn't Matter (Sonic Adventure), Never Turn Back, Egg Nega Wisp Phase 2, Crisis City Modern.

Have you read any Sonic comics?

Unfortunately I never got any Sonic comics in my younger years. I recently started reading Archie comics though, as a friend gave me a large supply of them as a graduation gift. Although I haven't read anywhere near close to all of them, I plan on changing that in the near future. :)

What other games do you play?

Despite being an obvious Sonic head, I played many other games when I was younger more so than in recent years. As a kid I had a Super Nintendo prior to getting a Sega Genesis, so I played Mario games (Super Mario World more so than the others), Donkey Kong Country games, and Kirby Super Star mostly. Since I took the Sony route and never did get my hands on a Dreamcast, other games I played include Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog games anyway), Jak and Daxter, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Ape Escape, and more. Nowadays all I seem to play is modern Sonic games with the occasional Brawl. I have this feeling that I will be revisiting some of my old time favorites for some speedrunning fun, as well as giving some newer non-Sonic games a spin some time soon though.

Chilli dogs or steak?

Chilli dogs all day! :bee:

What's your 100m sprint record?

I wish I knew. lol

What was the first speedrun you ever did?

I guess my first ever speedrun would be Egg Wyvern in Sonic the Hedgehog. If not counting glitches, then it would be Iblis Phase 2 as Shadow in Sonic the Hedgehog. If not counting individual levels, then it would be the Hero Story for Sonic Riders. As far as full games are concerned, it would be Sonic Colors Egg Shuttle (Which is essentially new game+).

Who do you consider your rival in Sonic speedruns?

Although I have had many rivals in the competitive Sonic community, I'll say Paraxade0.

What do you think of Chris Thorn****?

lel (and nothing more)

Do you bother reading all of your comments in your youtube channel?

I do indeed bother reading all of my comments, both on my YouTube channel and on my YouTube videos. Responding to all of my comments, however, is another story.

Nostalgia Critic, Angry Video Game Nerd or Spoonyone?

Angry Video Game Nerd wins by default, considering I don't watch the other two.

Do you drive? If so, what car?

Yes, I drive a 2002 Gray Ford Mustang.

How does it feel to be the one and only Sonic?

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Why must life be so hard?

It's the default difficulty setting, plus easy is boring anyway. :smirk:

On to the next one.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Didnt know this thread was back up lol.

So....

Cake or Pie?

Too easy, piece of cake~

Found any new sonic glitches?

Indeed, here's one of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxk8YjXANA

Hows brawl coming along for you?

I haven't been to any tournaments lately, but I'm still brawling every now and then with RBM and Kadaj so I'll be ready for the next tournament I make an appearance at.

Family Guy or Black Dynomite?

Family Guy (though that's primarily because I've only seen one episode of Black Dynamite)
And another one

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
My question was serious: do you feel that this sort of "break" from the tournament scene has affected your play? Or has it left you unaffected since you play occasionally with competitive players? Or yet still, did you improve through new thinking/dropping bad habits?

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Do you play brawl with the mentality of doing good at brawl, or doing good with Sonic in brawl?
If you answered the former, do you have any secondaries?

I play brawl with the mentality of doing good with Sonic, as I've never played any other character in tourney. I do have a secondary though, R.O.B.

How much of your talent is natural?

91.05% of my talent is natural.

How much Brawl practice do you get compared to Sonic (I guess ratio or percentage?)

The ratio of Brawl practice to Sonic is probably like 3:100 (in terms of hours).

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but why the yellow Sonic?

No special reason, I just like the way it looks. lol

When on a competitive level (Brawl and Sonic games) how much weight does your "know your limits, but don't limit yourself" slogan play?

I would say that it weighs a ton in terms of my mentality for both of those aspects. Granted I do spend a lot more time on Sonic games than Brawl, I am well aware of my limitations from a game perspective vs. what I can achieve if I put my mind to it. As far as brawl is concerned, I can't wait to get out to another tournament and show that my limit has not been reached yet.

What do you think of skips in general (and most notably the one on Final Rush) in speedrunning?

I appreciate skips for what they are, and that is simply a part of the game. There are some skips that I love and some that I downright hate, but that topic is purely subjective and doesn't change the fact that I am completely fine with skips in general. The Final Rush skip specifically is insane in terms of how much of the level is actually skipped, though I haven't had a chance to try it out myself.

I've noticed when playing for fun, you don't take SEGA's deliberate shortcuts. Do you ever take them when playing for fun?

Indeed, generally when I'm playing for fun I take whatever route I feel like taking at the time. It feels good being able to take any route you please after grinding out a level with the restriction of only the fastest route, the scenic route needs some love too.

How much do you pay attention to Sonic on a casual level (story, gameplay [still non-competitive], music, etc.)

I pay a lot of attention to Sonic on a casual level, though I don't seem to be as critical as the majority of the Sonic fanbase.

How much do you follow the other forms of Sonic media?

Outside of Sonic gaming (fangames included) I've only watched the Sonic cartoons (some of Sonic Underground, all of AoStH and SATAM Sonic, and the first half of Sonic X), read a few of the Archie comics, and seen the Sonic OVA. So whatever that amounts to, that's how much I follow the other forms of Sonic media.

What do you think of Sonic's tier position?

In all honesty, I think nothing of his tier position. If he stays where he is, I'm fine with that. If he moves up higher, then it makes people feel better (if only slightly, people hate them some Sonic) when they lose against him. If he goes down lower, it makes people feel worse when they lose against him. However, at the end of the day his position on the tier list won't make me play better or worse with him, so where he stands on the tier list is of no importance to me (unless it's a tier-restricted tourney).

Do you think Sonic the Fighters should be played competitively?

I think it would be rather interesting to see how that game would play out if it became widely competitive, but as far as whether it should or shouldn't be played competitively I can't really say. It has some interesting mechanics, like the use of barriers that can only be broken by certain moves (some of which are unsafe on block), sacrificing barriers for hyper mode (which lowers cool down on attacks and can allow unique combos + un-scaled grab follow-ups) and characters have quite a bit of variety in what they can do, but it has a very limited cast and also seems pretty unbalanced from what I've seen (though I can't really confirm this due to lack of a competitive scene). Therefore, I'm on the fence for whether or not it should be played competitively.
Whoa, smashboards is looking way different now. :surprised:

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Or you could use Ctrl+A.

Not sure if it's too late, but I have three:

1) You're trapped on an island with five people for a long period of time. Who is trapped with you?

My brother, my closest cousin, my closest e-friend, RBM, and Otime. It's sure to be a blast.

2) If you can visit any places in the world, which would be your favorite places to see?

Paris, Alaska, Vegas, London.

3) Double Sonic team at the next event we're both at? :D

Yus pls :D

:applejack:

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
My question was serious: do you feel that this sort of "break" from the tournament scene has affected your play? Or has it left you unaffected since you play occasionally with competitive players? Or yet still, did you improve through new thinking/dropping bad habits?

I don't feel that my absence from the tournament scene has affected my play at all, as I've done the same thing I've always done between tourneys. With the practice that I actually do get in with RBM and Kadaj, I feel like I have improved my thinking as well as corrected a few bad habits I've noticed in my Sonic play. However, this will require some verification through entering a tournament (whenever I get around to doing that).

That's that~

Kupo Rose

D1AOS is such a cool guy.

And you drive a Mustang? fffffff

Thanks for answering the questions D1AOS!

If you guys wanna vote for the next interviewee, feel free to.

Top Bottom