• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
DO NOT ruin a child's innocence..our society has not progressed far enough for them to be able to comprehend and deal with it. Unless you are actually dating someone seriously and it's the only reason you would like them to know, maybe, but otherwise, keep your personal lifestyle's to yourself. Yes it's true children don't understand what's right or wrong yet, and I honestly do like the idea that setting a positive trend and mentality toward homosexuality and stuff would be a good idea, but that would only ask them more questions and be curious. A preteen or teen, maybe, but not a child. I'm sue they don't even understand sex (as in gender, male or female) so let alone relationships and the like. The time will come but childhood should mainly focus on development, love, and learning.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Meno, your parents know right?

Because i think you should, instead of telling them, start asking your family to really encourage a "Gay OK" kind of attitude around your younger siblings. Then when they are old enough to really understand, then you should tell them your gay. Enforce that being gay is perfectly fine and normally. That way they are raised without and bias, tell them later.

That is what i think anyways.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What if I believe it's something completly innocent itself? And that by changing the minds of my siblings, it's an attempt to better society? It's a part of my life I want to share with them, and it's very important to me.

What if one of them is gay? What if I can prevent them from bullying the gay kid on the playground? If I can save them from the mental conflicts and trials I went through while growing up, and provide a good role model, it's something I absolutely need to do.

I'm not going to be giving them pron DVDs and showing them my dildo collection. T___T

EDIT: OH god. Not that I have a dildo collection.

And yea, my parents know and are okay with it. But really, it's never discussed.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
DO NOT ruin a child's innocence..our society has not progressed far enough for them to be able to comprehend and deal with it.
Okay, it's statements like that that cause society to not advance (or even worse, regress) in the first place. Telling a child that your prefer members of the same sex isn't going to "ruin their innocence," any more than telling them you prefer ham and cheese sandwiches over BLTs. It's when the idea that there is some form of morality at stake is implanted that a child's innocence begins to be tainted.

I think it's utterly patronizing and very unfair that you would decide that a child shouldn't know about things of this nature because they are somehow incapable of handling the information properly. The simple fact is that children are usually BETTER at comprehending new ideas than adults are, including things like this.

I'm not saying he has to be graphic about anything, of course. I'm saying that he can explain that he likes being with men instead of girls, and that some people think that's wrong. That's really all he needs to say to them. And if they ask him any questions, he should answer them openly and honestly. It's all this censorship and putting the blinders up on childrens' eyes that perpetuate bigotry, racism, and other unfounded hatred based on ignorance and fear.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
So I recently finished dragging myself and my family though RENT the movie. I'm getting pretty tired of my little siblings mumbling "NASTY!" whenever one of the gay couples kiss.
Most breeders I know can actually deal with rent because, even if they are normally grossed out by such things, Angel looks so much like a woman that they can just imagine that he is.

Not like they have much ability to WATCH the movie with Jenna and I singing and dancing to every song. :laugh:

Okay, it's statements like that that cause society to not advance (or even worse, regress) in the first place. Telling a child that your prefer members of the same sex isn't going to "ruin their innocence," any more than telling them you prefer ham and cheese sandwiches over BLTs. It's when the idea that there is some form of morality at stake is implanted that a child's innocence begins to be tainted.
I agree and, furthermore, I'm offended that Loko_Lobo would have such a low opinion of homosexuality. Sure, don't tell the kids if you're worried they won't even understand, or will go around telling everyone and you don't want everyone to know. But suggesting that such knowledge will scar a child merely furthers the horrible falacy that homosexuality is actually wrong. Learning someone's gay shouldn't be something you have to be able to "handle." :mad:

Deception

Smash Ace
I plan on telling my kids homosexuality is fine when they reach that age. Getting the message through is easier with young kids, considering they haven't built up the prejudices and they believe things more easily.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm a really Open-minded guy, but I guess the reason I say not to tell your younger sibs is I guess something out of my experience. I mean, i know my siblings will still love me just as much just be confused for a bit and after a bit not care, but I know I didn't have the same experience with my mother.. Now I also come from a hispanic background so -major religious- stuff is held above rationality so I was scared and worried for a while. I honestly felt like telling my sibs one of these days, but I don't know how to or when too, and since it's not realy affecting their lives, I just chose not to tell them. They are too loving to ever be naive like that

But from what you, or you all, tell me, I can see that at least your family is understanding and reasonable. I suppose it isn't bad (never meant it was) to tell them that homosexuality is ok, but at what age do you mention it? I know that your sib said "eww" when that gay couple kissed, but I said eww to -anything- that kissed when I was that age, so as long as he/she doesn't think it's "wrong" just gross, I'm pretty sure that's alright, hehe.

But yeah, don't get me wrong, it's not that I think it's wrong (of course not, why would i) it's that society think it's wrong and I see your all's point to try and change that (believe me, I've done my part). I suppose I'm worried about the approach and what to say since I haven't attempted it myself but good luck with it and be careful with your words

Timbers

check me out
I'd really prefer not to wait, seeing as it's somewhat urgent.

I'm leaving to college soon and I've decided I need to ingrain "gay is okay" in them before I leave. I'm trying be their "good example."
In this case, I would definitely bring your parents into this. If you're not there to actively influence their lives, then there should be someone else there who they trust and, if anything, help enforce your concept.

I remember when I was 6.

Oh wait no I don't.

They're not going to remember anything you tell them :\ Your parents will need to play a part in this if you want to get the point across.

And telling someone you're gay isn't in the least disturbing to a child's innocence, lol. Saying you like guys is about as tainted as saying you like girls. You don't have to become graphic with it and if any, mature questions/debates are attempted to be stirred by the kids (i.e. intimacy) then you just...steer clear :dizzy: I actually don't have an answer to that, it's just what I'd do in the situation.

and i really hate even daring to touch on the religious aspect, but I don't think it's that hard for a child raised on religion to believe that their God loves everyone if you tell them that. It's pretty easy to avoid questions that contradict the "God=loves everyone, oh unless your gay" controversy, especially coming from kids lol.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Two things:
1) I hate rent.

2) Just go ahead and tell your sibs and let you're parents know that you're going to tell them. Kids are good at handling things that adults think are big issues. They'll be fine.

In other news: I got called "straight acting" today because I refused to dress in drag for something the LGBT group here on campus wanted to do. I don't even know why they asked me when I made it very clear that I want to have nothing to do with them. I like to think that they're all jealous of me because I'm more comfortable with myself than the average bear.

Seriously, a ton of gays need to just man up and stop being such passive *****es that are "offended" by every little thing. I said no to the idea because I think drag is a stupid, stupid idea; not because I "hate other gays"... although that's quickly changing.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
In other news: I got called "straight acting" today because I refused to dress in drag for something the LGBT group here on campus wanted to do.
I'm gay... I like men... that's all that means. why would that have anything to do with wanting to dress like a woman?

To me, drag is STUPID because it only alienates us further from mainstream. Why can't we just be guys that happen to like other guys? NOOOOO we have to be as flambouyant and different as possible just so people will know we are "comfortable with who we are". Well **** that! I'm comfortable with who I am and who I am does not do **** like that.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, What is with all the drag hate?

Now, i would never do drag. But it is sure a lot of fun to watch. Plus its just a bunch of people having fun. Plus its only idiots who assume that being gay means you dress in drag. And who wants to associate with idiots.

OneGreyWolf

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm a really Open-minded guy, but I guess the reason I say not to tell your younger sibs is I guess something out of my experience. I mean, i know my siblings will still love me just as much just be confused for a bit and after a bit not care, but I know I didn't have the same experience with my mother.. Now I also come from a hispanic background so -major religious- stuff is held above rationality so I was scared and worried for a while. I honestly felt like telling my sibs one of these days, but I don't know how to or when too, and since it's not realy affecting their lives, I just chose not to tell them. They are too loving to ever be naive like that

But from what you, or you all, tell me, I can see that at least your family is understanding and reasonable. I suppose it isn't bad (never meant it was) to tell them that homosexuality is ok, but at what age do you mention it? I know that your sib said "eww" when that gay couple kissed, but I said eww to -anything- that kissed when I was that age, so as long as he/she doesn't think it's "wrong" just gross, I'm pretty sure that's alright, hehe.

But yeah, don't get me wrong, it's not that I think it's wrong (of course not, why would i) it's that society think it's wrong and I see your all's point to try and change that (believe me, I've done my part). I suppose I'm worried about the approach and what to say since I haven't attempted it myself but good luck with it and be careful with your words
I live in a Hispanic family as well, and my mother is more religious than anybody I know. I told her I was gay. She hates me to this day. Does that affect me at all? No. I don't know about other people, but I figure that if my mother doesn't accept the fact that her son isn't what she's always dreamed of, then I'm just not her son at all and just shouldn't be concerned with her affection. She tries to tell me that she loves me, but I can very easily tell that she's lying.

Two things:
1) I hate rent.

2) Just go ahead and tell your sibs and let you're parents know that you're going to tell them. Kids are good at handling things that adults think are big issues. They'll be fine.

In other news: I got called "straight acting" today because I refused to dress in drag for something the LGBT group here on campus wanted to do. I don't even know why they asked me when I made it very clear that I want to have nothing to do with them. I like to think that they're all jealous of me because I'm more comfortable with myself than the average bear.

Seriously, a ton of gays need to just man up and stop being such passive *****es that are "offended" by every little thing. I said no to the idea because I think drag is a stupid, stupid idea; not because I "hate other gays"... although that's quickly changing.
Yes. RENT sucks. :)
Taka, you have to remember that those same gays are very... Feminine. Not many of them are like you and I where insults don't really affect them. Call them a b***h and they'll start crying about how you don't know their life and yadda yadda yadda. I say you just either deal with it or tell them to get better, eh?

I hate other gays lol.

Like, seriously. I wish I could date straight guys.
Ugh. Don't we all. I know a whole bunch of gays at my school, but they are all pretty, well, -not- pretty. :laugh:
And then there three guys that I have MAJOR crushes on here but they're all straight. Ah well. Sometimes it's better to dream because, when you think about it, who knows what's actually going on with them. o.o

Speaking of drag, who's ever heard of Jackie Beat?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Two things:
1) I hate rent.

I've said this before, but I cringe whenever I hear "straight acting".

It's attacking people for being different in a community that is built based on it's difference from the norm. It's stupid and wrong to expect gay guys to act feminine, same as women, or expecting straight guys to act masculine or lesbians to act masculine.

PEOPLE ARE INDIVIDUALS, and they may act in a manner that is consistent with traditional masculine or feminine, or not. Their choice.

On the same type of subject, a quote from one of my friends on this same type of topic, "I wish guys could date other guys".

Funny yeah, but I definately get where he's coming from, most women are mad frustrating (and I guess the same applies to dating most gay guys), sometimes I wish girls thought like guys.

Yay for socially constructed gender!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
More straight dudes are drag queens than gay dudes. That's a fun fact. :D

I have no input to give Meno, since I'm the youngest of 6. I have nooo idea how to act towards kids. I do have a lot of nephews and neices, though. Apparently, one of my sisters taught them to love gay people before I even came out of the closet. So that was lucky. My other sisters' kids are too young to understand either way.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I again call forth the sandwich analogy. At what age is it appropriate to say you like one kind of sandwich better than another to a child? Children only make as big a deal of something as their role models do. If it's not a big deal to you, it won't be to them

Just state it for what it is: a matter of fact. Not some grand crusade or a great point of interest, but just as reality.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure he meant "ruin their innocence" in the sense that they haven't even had the straight birds and bees talk yet, 0rion. In which case, I'd have to agree with him.

Yet there are ways you could go about telling kids that you're gay, without ruining that innocence. Which I definitely wouldn't be opposed to.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Her "Baby got Front" song is hilarious... other than that, I stay away

(warning, song not for kiddies.)

More straight dudes are drag queens than gay dudes.
makes sense since there's about 20 straight guys for every gay one. Law of averages says we'd have to have 20 times the percentage of our population dressing in drag than the straight population for that statistic to be untrue.

I'm pretty sure he meant "ruin their innocence" in the sense that they haven't even had the straight birds and bees talk yet, 0rion. In which case, I'd have to agree with him.
even before they get "the talk" they know boys and girls can date each other and get married to each other.

you can say you're gay without going into detail.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
We're not talking about going to kids and saying "I liek to stick penese in butthoel!" We're talking about making a simple declaration of romantic preference, here. "I am in love with this person," or "I love this kind of person."

Like I said, this issue is only what you make it out to be.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
It's a sexual preference, not a romantic preference. I'm gay because I like sleeping with guys. Romance has nothing to do with it... and now I sound like a complete ***** but that's the truth of the matter.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
It's a sexual preference, not a romantic preference. I'm gay because I like sleeping with guys. Romance has nothing to do with it... and now I sound like a complete ***** but that's the truth of the matter.
well you don't have to say that to them >.<

you can tell the truth without telling the WHOLE truth.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
We're not talking about going to kids and saying "I liek to stick penese in butthoel!" We're talking about making a simple declaration of romantic preference, here. "I am in love with this person," or "I love this kind of person."

Like I said, this issue is only what you make it out to be.
Hey, don't look at me, that's just what I thought Loco Lobo was sayin'. :p But yeah, kids. I hate them, and don't know how to talk to them. I'm gonna go step back into my corner...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI

Yo, so my friend just sent me a link to this.

I want to see what you guys think of it.

Personally, i feel like i should be offended, but i am not.
Haha. I saw that on The Colbert Report. They did a parody of it too, which doesn't seem to be on youtube. But if you can find it, it's worth a watch. It put me in a good mood.

EDIT: NO WAIT I FOUND IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYUHTXAFv1E

EDIT2: Scratch that one. This one's better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_876Sjss8&feature=related

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
I'm gay... I like men... that's all that means. why would that have anything to do with wanting to dress like a woman?

To me, drag is STUPID because it only alienates us further from mainstream. Why can't we just be guys that happen to like other guys? NOOOOO we have to be as flambouyant and different as possible just so people will know we are "comfortable with who we are". Well **** that! I'm comfortable with who I am and who I am does not do **** like that.
Yeah, I agree! A LOT of people don't believe I'm Bi/Gay/ w/e , and they STILL don't just 'cause I act like "the other guys". I mean, tbh, some of my friends act gayer than I am, if that makes sense, but they are perfectly straight. I mean, just because your gay doesn't mean fit the stereotype. I mean, do they hold black parades and have black people eating watermelons and drinking kool-aid? Do they hold hispanic parades and have you see people wearing sombreros and utility belts and women leading a bunch of children? etc etc! I hope I didn't offend anyone, but if I did...suck it up..honestly, lol, I don't honestly mean any of that, I'm just trying to prove a point.

But if we are to hold a -true- pride parade, just have everyone dressed normally...that'd throw a lot of people off. Just have every supporter and homosexual and what not walk down streets, one leading banner in the front saying w/e pride stuff on it, and walk...If people aren't early, they'd just be guessing it's just people walking for for whatever cause...'cause they/we ARE JUST PEOPLE! By holding parades that emphasize more on the abstractness and queerness (queer as in weird) of the gathering instead of focusing on what they are -really- fighting for, society will just see it as a some weird shenanigans going on instead of what it really is supposed to be.

I live in a Hispanic family as well, and my mother is more religious than anybody I know. I told her I was gay. She hates me to this day. Does that affect me at all? No. I don't know about other people, but I figure that if my mother doesn't accept the fact that her son isn't what she's always dreamed of, then I'm just not her son at all and just shouldn't be concerned with her affection. She tries to tell me that she loves me, but I can very easily tell that she's lying.

Yes. RENT sucks. :)
Taka, you have to remember that those same gays are very... Feminine. Not many of them are like you and I where insults don't really affect them. Call them a b***h and they'll start crying about how you don't know their life and yadda yadda yadda. I say you just either deal with it or tell them to get better, eh?

Of course you are going to have those gays that are rather feminine, but that's what makes them different to. It's what makes EVERYONE diverse. Masculinity has been misconstrued so much in America that makes regular guys seem like *****'s (sorry, but trying condense a phrase into a harsh word...remember that from now on) instead of just sensitive. For instance, if you can't be independent, take down a bear, not cry when you lose a limb, can't be huge and buff, etc etc, you aren't a man. America's media mainstream is killing us all.

Ugh. Don't we all. I know a whole bunch of gays at my school, but they are all pretty, well, -not- pretty. :laugh:
And then there three guys that I have MAJOR crushes on here but they're all straight. Ah well. Sometimes it's better to dream because, when you think about it, who knows what's actually going on with them. o.o

I know, right? Worst part is a lot of women don't know a really good guy when they see one.
Women's rights may be progressing, but their choice and views of men have declined. Again, America has made men's quos so hyped up, that if they don't meant those exaggerated statuses, they aren't considered "men" or worthy.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
telling them you prefer ham and cheese sandwiches over BLTs.
must. refrain. from. hamosexual joke

:bee:

I agree though that it's important to get the message across to kids that being gay or bi is ok while they're still young. Sure they may not remember being told by their brother that he's gay and they probably won't really understand it either, but kids are very impressionable, so getting that message across before they are exposed to the negativity some people have towards homosexuality will hopefully keep them open-minded and accepting as they get older

bored

Smash Ace
wow hun... you actually came out to them?
Well, not really.

It all began when my mom was yapping about how one of her employees came out to her as a lesbian. That's when my dad cut in and made it clear that he didn't care about anyone's sexuality, and much to my surprise, my mom agreed with him. I found so much solace in learning this about my parents, that I finally see them in a whole new light. My mom even told me that all she wanted for me was to be happy that same evening.

So yeah, I didn't really come out to them. But something tells me that they do know though.

I came out of it unscathed. :p

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well, not really.

It all began when my mom was yapping about how one of her employees came out to her as a lesbian. That's when my dad cut in and made it clear that he didn't care about anyone's sexuality, and much to my surprise, my mom agreed with him. I found so much solace in learning this about my parents, that I finally see them in a whole new light. My mom even told me that all she wanted for me was to be happy that same evening.

So yeah, I didn't really come out to them. But something tells me that they do know though.

I came out of it unscathed. :p
yeah... they totally know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI

Yo, so my friend just sent me a link to this.

I want to see what you guys think of it.

Personally, i feel like i should be offended, but i am not.
I would be, except that it's so ridiculously... well... ridiculous. It's been so made fun of that it totally has lost most of its pull.

it's just dissapointing really.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Seriously...F**k marriage. Honestly? Who the f**k cares what you are called when you are LEGALLY BINDED. Married, union, butt-buddies, etc. You wanna be as miserable as everyone else binded legally, do it and let them. I don't see the sanctity anymore, I don't see who's right or wrong. I mean, if marriage were so "spiritual" and "godly" and all that other BS, then why can you get married in church and get divorced via court or judge or etc. If you were to get divorced, I say you have to invite EVERYONE that attended the previous wedding and make it a big deal again that instead of vowing to be together, you are vowing that you were an idiot and now declaring that you both made a mistake and wish for everyone to know about it...

If you wanna make it a big deal that two ppl are together, you should make it a big deal when it doesn't work...that'll teach people to get "married" and might actually make it "sacred" again.

I'm not planning on getting married, but for those of you who are, keep fightin' and keep head strong, but don't lose yourself and go in way over your head...your chance will come soon.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
while I'd LIKE the ability to call what we can have a marriage... you know that there's a big chunk of the states that doesn't even have civil unions.

Smash Master
I'd like the legal benefits of marriage, like sposal confidentiality and tax benefits. I don't care about the name.

I feel bad for people who have to wear their gayness or transgenderedness on their sleeve. I would not want to go through life like that; having people hurling insults whenever I step outside.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Okay, I know I might not be too welcome here since I'm a Christian and believe homosexuality is wrong, but I wanted to throw some comments out there.

I know, right? Worst part is a lot of women don't know a really good guy when they see one.
OHMYGOODNESS QFT. I have no idea why girls date like half the guys they do. Now, I'm not gay, but I know an attractive guy when I see one, and like 90% of girls have NO TASTE IN MEN. Eugh, it drives me crazy. I just don't even get it sometimes. --; Sorry, mini-rant, there.

That's interesting...does everyone here agree with this? I'm just curious more than anything. I mean I guess this is true for everyone, but I'm not sure if everyone thinks about it this way. As for me, I 'suppose' I prefer women sexually. I certainly don't like men sexually, but interestingly enough, 90% of my relationships with women are emotionally oriented. The physical side of it really doesn't do a whole lot for me unless it's furthering the emotional side.

Anyway, sorry if I'm 'intruding' since I don't quite belong here. Didn't mean to barge in on your conversations ._.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Everyone's welcome in here, Proverbs. :) Just as long as there's no religious debating. We have our strong beliefs, and we understand you have yours. So we just prohibit debating them all together. :p

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Proverbs, I don't think anyone could accuse you of "barging" into anything when you're that polite about it.

I'll say that I agree with Takumaru to a degree in that sexual orientation does the quick check for gender before anything else. As much as I may love a girl's personality, I'll very likely never develop feelings for her the way I would for a guy. She would just become a great friend. I can like her a lot, but knowing that we're incompatible physically (well...in a way), halts any kind of romantic progress pretty quickly.

However, the physical aspect certainly leads to the emotional. On the surface, homosexuality is just an immediate preference toward a person based on sex, but that in turn determines how deep your feelings for that person are able to grow. Which you could call romance, I suppose. I'm physically attracted to the male form, therefor I am capable of falling in love with a man. Whereas the female form blocks me from ever getting to that point.

I hope that made sense. It's ****ing late....

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Let's not start that conversation. Everyone's being pretty nice to each other right now, and it would be a shame to ruin that by stepping on people's toes. Proverbs has his beliefs, and fortunately, that doesn't stop him from coming in this thread and participating in a little discussion. This is a good thing. I'm sure no one wants him to regret coming in here.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
With my I think it almost entirely physical attraction and not romantic attraction. Personally I love the personalities of girls, but physically they do nothing for me. And when i meet a guy, I always find that i would rather be friends with them, then be romantically interested in them.

If only i had a machine that could take the mind of a female and put it in the body of a male.

But of course there is always the odd exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom