• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Still going on? Geeze... Thanks for the welcoming though.
No, we moved on to another topic for a few pages then someone brought it up again and it's like we never talked about it. Anyway, WELCOME BACK!

@Sonic:
You are never responsible for the actions or happenings of other people.

bored

Smash Ace
That's a strange situation to be in. Even though I give indirect advice to those in need of help, I would try and build a closer friendship with her (funny how one girl admitted to having a crush on me is now my bestfriend), that or steer clear of her. She's obviously obsessed with you.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
never wholly, but often partially.
If you look at things this way you'll always be responsible for anything that touches you. I repeat, you cannot control other people's actions and are not responsible for what they do or what happens to do them. Say this to yourself 3 times a day on a full stomach and a large glass of water.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Oh don't get me wrong: I don't think I did the WRONG thing, but that doesn't preclude me from feeling bad for the tragedy in which she resides due to me. Do I beat myself up about it? no. Do I feel bad. You bet.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I tend to be able to discern what my own emotions are, yes.
hm, well mabey your just putting yourself alittle to close to the main root of the problem, you couldnt prevent it, mabey you could just serpress it, like I do with my depression everyday at school:urg:, they may get me on those pills like they did to my friend:urg:, they are never the same. Mabey your mind tends to make connection to the problem where you think you had something to do with the cause of the problem. Mabey instead of feeling abd you can think if there is an anserw to this problem and if not, try to help her

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Pills are good if they're the right ones. I've felt nothing but better since I was put on mine.
they will never get me on those, besides my friend was born with a certain condition, where she needed those types of pills. It was somthing about the liquid that keeps you happy or something like that. Those pills that girl has gotten would not be good for a situation like sonic mentioned.

Veril

Frame Savant
long story...

sarah: not good at all. I'm on medication now for depression.

I keep telling myself it's not me but.... well. I feel guilt... it's a curse of mine to easily feel responsible for things.
It isn't your fault. Her being upset does not equate to her depression being your fault. If its severe enough for her to be medicated than she was probably having some issues prior to the whole fiasco.

If it makes you feel better just try to be supportive of her. Mental illness is very difficult and there's still a lot of stigma surrounding it. From personal experience i know it really helps to feel like someone cares.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
It isn't your fault. Her being upset does not equate to her depression being your fault. If its severe enough for her to be medicated than she was probably having some issues prior to the whole fiasco.

If it makes you feel better just try to be supportive of her. Mental illness is very difficult and there's still a lot of stigma surrounding it. From personal experience i know it really helps to feel like someone cares.
all this girl needs are close friends, thats what she really needs *sniff I feel empty again*
I though everyone left, but then Veril came, which was surprising

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
If seen you around, you have a tendency to turn situations like this well like that:ohwell:
wait how is this discussion related to the other discussion a few pages ago, O wait now I remember
Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you mean.

And hi Veril. ^___^

Timbers

check me out
never wholly, but often partially.
I agree, but this is just not one of those situations. The girl pulled the short end of the stick with life, and fell in love with a guy who (I assume) is very rooted in terms of his sexuality. It's just an awkward situation. You did nothing wrong. You chose not to lead her on (which would have made it your problem) and you were truthful with her. The way she's dealing with the situation is entirely her decision. You did absolutely nothing wrong.

I'd feel bad on her behalf, but that doesn't necessarily mean you were any part of it.
have you thought of prayers for Bobby? i can't think of any cause not many seem to be able to be rated that low.
I hear the movie is heavily influenced by religion? Is this allowed in public schools?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I hear the movie is heavily influenced by religion? Is this allowed in public schools?
It's almost completly about religion, and Christianity's opinion on homosexuality.

I think it'd be alright as long as this "movie day" is after school or something. It's not like an assembly, right?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
they will never get me on those, besides my friend was born with a certain condition, where she needed those types of pills. It was somthing about the liquid that keeps you happy or something like that. Those pills that girl has gotten would not be good for a situation like sonic mentioned.
While it's possible that her depression is entirely related to the cold hearted, hateful, and completely inhuman way sonic shot her down, she could still need the pills. Some people actually need anti-depressants/mood elevators after something major happens.

If seen you around, you have a tendency to turn situations like this well like that
Meno is a very funny and light hearted guy. He's just trying to up the mood in this thread.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
While it's possible that her depression is entirely related to the cold hearted, hateful, and completely inhuman way sonic shot her down, she could still need the pills. Some people actually need anti-depressants/mood elevators after something major happens.

Meno is a very funny and light hearted guy. He's just trying to up the mood in this thread.
true, takumaru, the human mind is fascinating dont you think
but anyway no its nothing like an all school meeting, just after school and tickets

edit: you always need someone like meno to brighten things up, to bad I prefer not to much bright I prefer dark cloudy days like today

Timbers

check me out
I love cloudy and rainy days, it's really nice and in a way, romantic.

Sunny spring days are just as nice though, it just tends to get unbearable around May where you want the sun to just leave you alone.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah. It darn well tootin' had better be since saying it ISN'T allowed would be a greivous violation of individual rights.

there's a difference between not endorsing any religion and endorsing the idea of no religion. it's the former that the state is SUPPOSED to do.... they often fail in that endeavour

Timbers

check me out
yeah. It darn well tootin' had better be since saying it ISN'T allowed would be a greivous violation of individual rights.

there's a difference between not endorsing any religion and endorsing the idea of no religion. it's the former that the state is SUPPOSED to do.... they often fail in that endeavour
It's not necessarily endorsing the "idea of no religion," but more of endorsing the idea of conflicting religions/beliefs, or it could be seen that way. Christianity I know gets a lot of **** regarding their firm stance against gay rights, so I wasn't sure if a movie such as this one could possibly stir religious debate or argument, something I know is looked down upon very much in public highschools.

My highschool personally, you were pushing it even by just wearing a cross.

I think it was also (somewhat) enforced to have the cross be tucked underneath an article of clothing, however I can't confirm that as I never wore one.

My highschool also became mad gay around my Junior year as well, where almost anything was against dress code (piercings, netted clothing, belts, rounded studs, unnatural hair color, etc) and the list of violations became a whole lot larger, which was a pretty big shocker considering it was known to be one of the most laidback highschools in Vegas until that point.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Eh, we moved past the other debate while I was away, so let me so only this in closing.

Yes, it takes time, but different things in language change differently and ultimately tied meanings don't change unless one of the meanings becomes defunct or changes.

Not really...

If it's endevoring to religiously educate people, then there's a very firm line.

Teacher's cannot use it for that purpose in class. Period. That's state sponsorship of religion.

As for student clubs and after-school activities, they're allowed to do religious education since they're independant from the school. The school cannot discriminate against religiously based organizations because it violates viewpoint neutrality.

That said, if they allow no clubs and organizations, that is viewpoint neutral, keep that in mind.

It's not necessarily endorsing the "idea of no religion," but more of endorsing the idea of conflicting religions/beliefs, or it could be seen that way. Christianity I know gets a lot of **** regarding their firm stance against gay rights, so I wasn't sure if a movie such as this one could possibly stir religious debate or argument, something I know is looked down upon very much in public highschools.
Legally, it's tricky, but you can teach about religion from a social or historical context, so using a movie like that to talk about the social effects of religion is ok, however, once you get into religious precepts you've crossed the line.

Speaking personally as a firm Christian, I have no desire to have anybody from the state pushing their religious views on my kids.

My highschool personally, you were pushing it even by just wearing a cross.

I think it was also (somewhat) enforced to have the cross be tucked underneath an article of clothing, however I can't confirm that as I never wore one.
They can't do that, somebody needs to sue them.

It violates religious freedom, specifically the free extercise clause.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My school has strict uniform regulations. School suit for lower years and a formal suit for seniors. We have to wear the school tie, our hair cannot grow beyond our jawline, we have to be clean shaven, no piercings, tattoos result in expulsion etc.
Yeah lol, you think you have it bad huh? Although actually, I love the regulations, it's how I like to dress anyway (minus school tie). Yes, smart > casual.

Timbers

check me out
Not really...

If it's endevoring to religiously educate people, then there's a very firm line.

Teacher's cannot use it for that purpose in class. Period. That's state sponsorship of religion.

As for student clubs and after-school activities, they're allowed to do religious education since they're independant from the school. The school cannot discriminate against religiously based organizations because it violates viewpoint neutrality.
Yes after making that post I vaguely remembered some sort of Christian afterschool group at my school. There shouldn't be a problem with it so long as it doesn't interfere with the curriculum.

They can't do that, somebody needs to sue them.

It violates religious freedom, specifically the free extercise clause.
Violates? I never really saw it like that. They're free to wear it but not to be exposed during class. I believe the reasoning they used was that it could be distracting to other students. **** excuse but somewhat legit.
My school has strict uniform regulations. School suit for lower years and a formal suit for seniors. We have to wear the school tie, our hair cannot grow beyond our jawline, we have to be clean shaven, no piercings, tattoos result in expulsion etc.
Yeah lol, you think you have it bad huh? Although actually, I love the regulations, it's how I like to dress anyway (minus school tie). Yes, smart > casual.
What made it ******** was that it did a complete 180 on us inbetween semesters. Had it always been strict you could adjust a lot more easily.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Violates? I never really saw it like that. They're free to wear it but not to be exposed during class. I believe the reasoning they used was that it could be distracting to other students. **** excuse but somewhat legit.
"Distracting other students" is not an exception to the free extercise clause.

Basically, there are two standards for dealing with with extercise issues.

If it's a case of de jure discrimination (in other words, religion is specifically targeted or is disproportionatly impacted enough that reveals a discriminatory intent) then it becomes a subject of the three pronged strict scrutiny test, and it must satisfy all of these standards.

1. Compelling governmental interest.

2. Narrowly tailored to achieve that interest.

3. Must be the least restrictive means for achieving that interest

If it's a case of de facto discrimination (in other words, religious action is the chance target of broad legislation that doesn't disproportionately impact religion and is not intended to target religion) then a rational basis test is applied (however with bite). In this case it must satisfy only one prong.

1. A legitimate governmental interest.

Which brings me to my next point, this is obviously targeted at religion, and at the very first prong of strict scrutiny it fails. Preventing the minute possibility of students being distracted is not a compelling government interest. It seems narrowly tailored. However it's definately not the least restrictive means because students are legally responsable for their classroom actions so compelling students to not get discracted by religious symbols under threat of disciplin is sufficent.

The only way that it would be legal if there was a strict uniform, because that's obviously de facto discrimination and there are plenty of possible legitimate government interests for that (the distraction thing is legitimate, but not compelling for example).

So no, the policy was absolutely 100% illegal and the school could easily get sued. Yes I can cite case law to prove this.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Not really...

no. the film has deep chrisitan roots because, well, that's kinda from where the main conflict of the movie stemmed forth. The main purpose of the movie, however, is to evoke an emotional response. Obviously being gay and catholic, the response it evoked in me is much larger than it would in one who is neither, but the film no more tried to make you catholic than it did try to make you gay.

Veril

Frame Savant
hm do you guys plan to do the day of silence as well, like my school people signed up to participate in it, I did participate last year
Most likely. I'm not going to. I'd prefer a day of loudness. Why be silent? That's exactly what we shouldn't be. I understand its symbolic, but I think its the wrong way.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
no. the film has deep chrisitan roots because, well, that's kinda from where the main conflict of the movie stemmed forth. The main purpose of the movie, however, is to evoke an emotional response. Obviously being gay and catholic, the response it evoked in me is much larger than it would in one who is neither, but the film no more tried to make you catholic than it did try to make you gay.
You're misunderstanding me.

Whether the film should be allowed is dependent on the context, from a social context it's fine. But it can be used to put forth a specific religious viewpoint (the most probable use is to adopt a pro-gay idea of christianity if you are christian), then that would not be allowed, in the classroom anyway.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
have you seen the film? because I really don't understand what it is that you are trying to get across.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Most likely. I'm not going to. I'd prefer a day of loudness. Why be silent? That's exactly what we shouldn't be. I understand its symbolic, but I think its the wrong way.
its just for one day I'm sure you can be silent for that long correct, besides I lasted the entire day last year, I was going to tape my moth shut but I didnt have any tape at the time. I also got a free sticker....should this thread be stickyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom