• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I never really saw the point of just telling a friend or relative, out of the blue, my sexuality. If they were to ever ask about I'd have no problem telling them but I feel like it's one of those things that doesn't need to be worn like a badge everywhere you go. If your roommates being dumb to your sexuality isn't affecting your lifestyle, I don't really see a reason to tell them to begin with.
People seem to think on this side of the coin, and also the "I just gotta tell SOMEONE, and they're right there..." mentality. Neither one is bad, in my opinion. When I was coming out, I was practically busting at the seams wanting to out myself to people. However, I did feel like I never had the guts to do it (especially in somewhere as stereotypically prejudice as Alabama). Every one is queer in their own way. If you feel comfortable or enjoy being out like that, then it's important that the people you live around know and are okay with it.

RoguefanAM

Smash Rookie
Takumaru said:
Oh I understand completely. I used to be the same way a few years ago and I know how hard it is to open up to people. If my first suggestion doesn't make you feel all that comfortable the don't worry about it, really. As for gaining some self confidence... that's a bit tricky really. It's different for everyone. Best place to start is to sit down and think about what you're good at, what you like about yourself, and try and focus on those things. Another thing you can do is at the end of each day write down all the good things that happened that day; it's better to scribble them down as they happen. I know they sound cheesy but they'll help. It won't be an over-night change, but you'll feel a bit better eventually. You don't HAVE to do these things, but they're suggestions you can consider.

Also, are you in college yet?
Not in college, but gonna be next year. Hopefully the college scene will be more relaxed than high school, and from what I've heard it seems to be. :)

And yeah, I don't want to make it seem like I'm wasting your time - I DO appreciate the advice. It is good advice, I'm just horrible at actually following through. I'll work it out.

Mazaloth said:
No one will think bad of you, we are all here to help.
If the whole physical appearance doesn't fit you, then don't do it. I understand where you are comming from, you want people to like you for you, also it kinda makes you feel self-conscious. I know I wouldn't change my look for anything.

Once again, keep it easy, progress at a step each time. You have all the time in the world.
Thanks for the understanding. ^^

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Not in college, but gonna be next year. Hopefully the college scene will be more relaxed than high school, and from what I've heard it seems to be. :)

And yeah, I don't want to make it seem like I'm wasting your time - I DO appreciate the advice. It is good advice, I'm just horrible at actually following through. I'll work it out.

No problem. One... Step... At... A... Time...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the thing is, waiting until it's NECESSARY to come out before you come out can kind of alienate you... like you LEFT your friends to be gay.

Takumaru

Smash Lord

Oh, I don't think your wasting my time at all. I'm more than happy to try and help when I can. You should be really excited about college next year. College kicks ***.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
*punches hedgedawg*

better?
ow.

sure?

I mean I told ben, the most likely to object because of all his preconceived notions and he's like.

"okay"

and I'm like
"no. not allowed. you can't be appathetic. you must have SOME reaction."

and he's like
"indifference defines my response."

SO NOT FAIR WHERE'S MY DRAMA!?!
he totally dropped all his preconceived notions the moment I told him... how the hell does someone do that?

he DID, however, ask why I didn't tell him earlier. And I told him that he was worisome. the whole "I'm so glad prop 8 passed" thing is akin to telling your african american friends that you'd be glad if segregated schools were to be allowed. He then got really embarassed and appologized profusely because he "never actually thought about the implications"

anyway, we're kosher now and I feel a lot better that I'm not hiding anything from him anymore. I got a big supportive hug and everything from him, so that was nice. and he's so not acting any different around me. it's wonderful, but anticlimactic.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
ow.

sure?

I mean I told ben, the most likely to object because of all his preconceived notions and he's like.

"okay"

and I'm like

and he's like

he totally dropped all his preconceived notions the moment I told him... how the hell does someone do that?

he DID, however, ask why I didn't tell him earlier. And I told him that he was worisome. the whole "I'm so glad prop 8 passed" thing is akin to telling your african american friends that you'd be glad if segregated schools were to be allowed. He then got really embarassed and appologized profusely because he "never actually thought about the implications"

anyway, we're kosher now and I feel a lot better that I'm not hiding anything from him anymore. I got a big supportive hug and everything from him, so that was nice. and he's so not acting any different around me. it's wonderful, but anticlimactic.
Very good, congratz.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
It's about time...

Haha, just kidding. You know I <3 you. We should start our own facebook group called "Coming out was the most anti-climactic experience ever".

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
It's about time...

Haha, just kidding. You know I <3 you. We should start our own facebook group called "Coming out was the most anti-climactic experience ever".
except then my FAMILY would know and that's just not kosher.

oh and WHY I came out..... a female friend confessed her incredibly strong feelings toward me. love even:

"I feel God is drawing me towards you" says she "I've never felt this way about anyone before"

so I have to let her down honestly.... I MADE HER CRY :(

anyway I figured, and jenna insisted, I HAD to tell ben. so I did.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
oh and WHY I came out..... a female friend confessed her incredibly strong feelings toward me. love even:
"I feel God is drawing me towards you" says she "I've never felt this way about anyone before"
so I have to let her down honestly.... I MADE HER CRY :(
I hate when that happens. But at least you aren't a jerk about it.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Wth was she hot? If she was then Wth

But good thing you were honest. I can't stand others who will go out of their way just to tell somebody in the most *** way possible.
There can be no words to justify what I want to say... In a sarcastic, joking kind of way.

Timbers

check me out
ow.

sure?

"okay"

and I'm like

and he's like

Haha yer was pretty much my sister's reaction when she asked if I liked guys. She was pretty much just like "oh ok," and we went on to keep talking about whatever we were talking about lol.

My cousin I think was the most um..dramatic. Started singing and dancing and hugging me...was weird even by her standards.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I've got a big tournament in 10 hours.
Impact Clash 3!
If you're going, be sure to say "Hi" to me if you see me there. :D
That said, I gotta get some sleep.
Wish me luck! @_@;;

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Hi. I'm Remo. I live in Houston and go to culinary school. I've been gay for a while. It's been pretty cool so far. Came out to my friends in junior year, to the rest of the school in senior year and to my mom a few months before high school graduation.

I got my first boyfriend in November and he broke it off two weeks ago. 'Loved and lost, then loved at all, and all of that. Overall, things are good. Hope to make some friends and chit-chat with the rest of y'all. Later

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Came out to my friends in junior year, to the rest of the school in senior year and to my mom a few months before high school graduation.
I've only came out to a few of my friends but not all. My mom knows that Im Bu, but she doesnt make a big deal over it luckily :).

I got my first boyfriend in November and he broke it off two weeks ago. 'Loved and lost, then loved at all, and all of that. Overall, things are good.
I wish I had a boyfriend :(, oh well I might get one eventually, Im a freshman btw. And Im glad that things are going good ^.^

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Hi. I'm Remo. I live in Houston and go to culinary school. I've been gay for a while. It's been pretty cool so far. Came out to my friends in junior year, to the rest of the school in senior year and to my mom a few months before high school graduation.

I got my first boyfriend in November and he broke it off two weeks ago. 'Loved and lost, then loved at all, and all of that. Overall, things are good. Hope to make some friends and chit-chat with the rest of y'all. Later
Welcome to the thread. If you have anything you want to ask or comment on please feel free to do so.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Overall, things are good. Hope to make some friends and chit-chat with the rest of y'all. Later
NOOOOO!!!

*tackles*

Uh, so I saw "Prayers for Bobby" with my mom yesterday. It's a Lifetime movie about a religious mom who's gay son commits suicide - she later comes around to become a gay-rights activist.

It was a nice movie in all; though the main character was practically being an exact clone of me... It was kinda awkward.

After the movie though, my little (9ish) sister was watching and I ask her if she liked gay people.

"No."

"Why?"

"I dunno. Cuz they're gay."

This really hurt me. But yet, my parents don't want me telling them yet because "they're too young." I'll talk with them again soon. I still really think they need to have a positive example of gays. :ohwell:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
NOOOOO!!!

*tackles*

Uh, so I saw "Prayers for Bobby" with my mom yesterday. It's a Lifetime movie about a religious mom who's gay son commits suicide - she later comes around to become a gay-rights activist.

It was a nice movie in all; though the main character was practically being an exact clone of me... It was kinda awkward.

After the movie though, my little (9ish) sister was watching and I ask her if she liked gay people.

"No."

"Why?"

This really hurt me. But yet, my parents don't want me telling them yet because "they're too young." I'll talk with them again soon. I still really think they need to have a positive example of gays. :ohwell:
I don't understand how one could be too young to learn tolerance. It's not like the conversation you and she would have would need to get graphic. It's just a quick being-gay-is-okay-and-here's-why conversation. Seems kind of silly to me.

Also, OMG REMO'S HERE. I thought he'd never show.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
NOOOOO!!!

*tackles*
Eh? Oh, right. Not "chit-chat" like ruin another thread with pointless rambling and rabbling. More like "make friends, and chit-chat outside of Smash Boards, like on AIM." Speaking of, my AIM/YIM is kingremo2, if anybody wants to chit-chat properly.

I don't understand how one could be too young to learn tolerance. It's not like the conversation you and she would have would need to get graphic. It's just a quick being-gay-is-okay-and-here's-why conversation. Seems kind of silly to me.

Also, OMG REMO'S HERE. I thought he'd never show.
Alright, topic time. In a way, it's a shame how much young ones are sponges to everything around them. I agree that children can understand tolerance and Meno or somebody should definitely have that conversation with her, but there's a lot of examples of "you're so gay" around these days. It's easy for kids to just spit that stuff right back up. Like, when I was a tyke, some kids were making fun of me because I hadn't been baptized. They said I'd be going to Hell and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I took it really, really hard until my mom talked to me and essentially told me they were idiots. Which most little kids are.

Oh, and heya to you, too, Circus.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yeeaaah, I'd agree to teach kids that gay is okay earlier in life, before it's implanted in their heads as 'evil'.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Ignore your parents. Tell them anyway. You might get grounded for a week, so what? At least your siblings won't grow up to be prejudiced.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Yeeaaah, I'd agree to teach kids that gay is okay earlier in life, before it's implanted in their heads as 'evil'.
You can retrain yourself to think otherwise. I did and the rest of my family did. I do agree that you should teach your children to be accepting at a younger age.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
NOOOOO!!!

*tackles*

"No."

"Why?"

****ed kids these days. I remember when I was nine. I showed tolerence everywhere I went.
I guess standards have lowered more then I expected. Ah well, hopefully they will learn. In no terms should they think like that.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
NOOOOO!!!

*tackles*

"No."

"Why?"

That was such an AMAZINGLY AWESOME MOVIE. it was so stirring. so powerful... so real.

it's on again tuesday at 9:00 and it promises to be just as good.

I'm not going to lie, I cried.

oh yeah... and teach tolerance young. you don't have to tell your sis you're gay, but there's no reason NOT to teach her that a dislike for gays is WRONG.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
My mother is a lesbian. As such, she took great steps to ensure that I was raised to accept gays as societal norm. However, she has told me that I am to act male around her young children, lest they go berserk with confusion over my situation. Honestly, I understand where she's coming from. Gays are one thing, but transsexuality is hard to comprehend for most adults, let alone sheltered, fresh-faced children. All the same, though, this means that I dread seeing them, since they call me "big brother" and tell me I'm the "coolest guy ever." While the flattery is a great ego boost, I always end up going home and spending a day crying my eyes out over it, because that's just what the world sees when they look at me. I live for the day when I can walk down the street and people see a pretty girl. Until then, I'm dead to me.

Julien

Smash Rookie
My mother is a lesbian. As such, she took great steps to ensure that I was raised to accept gays as societal norm. However, she has told me that I am to act male around her young children, lest they go berserk with confusion over my situation. Honestly, I understand where she's coming from. Gays are one thing, but transsexuality is hard to comprehend for most adults, let alone sheltered, fresh-faced children. All the same, though, this means that I dread seeing them, since they call me "big brother" and tell me I'm the "coolest guy ever." While the flattery is a great ego boost, I always end up going home and spending a day crying my eyes out over it, because that's just what the world sees when they look at me. I live for the day when I can walk down the street and people see a pretty girl. Until then, I'm dead to me.
I empathize. I went to a high school that was literally about 97% LGBTQ and i've seen this situation too many times. it's hard to love yourself when you're constantly reminded that you're not yet what you'd like to be.

My advice to you would be to understand that you may not be where you want to be right now, but you have plenty of time to get there. Your siblings will get a little older and they'll better understand and accept who you are.
Hope I didn't sound too corny. :urg:

I'm Julien btw. I've visited SWF alot, but i've never felt the need to post til now, so i made an acct. :)

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Ugh... don't you hate when hardcore Christians talk about homosexuality? I have a God nut aunt who is always talking about how freaking holy she is, and how everyone should be just like her if you don't want to burn in hell. Anyway, she said "I saw a really young gay couple kissing earlier today. That's definitely Satan stealing personalities!". I always try to be like "yeah, you're right, go, Jesus!" even if I'm personally an atheist, but I seriously hate when people are ignorant like that. It's creepy, because they think they have the right to be intolerant. Anyway, rant over ^^
don't you hate when people talk about Christians like this? I sure do cuz I'm Catholic. Listen here, your aunt acts this way because she is old fashioned and the idea of hell is medieval. A preacher named John Carapi even says the idea of hell isn't even real. Before anyone goes in Heaven (or Hell if there is one) they must first go through Purgatory. Your aunt doesn't represent the Church, so don't use that as a basis to label everyone else!

You are also confused with the terminology of tolerance and respect. People may respect your opinion but that doesn't mean they have to accept it. Notice the difference?
K bye bye.

Julien

Smash Rookie
don't you hate when people talk about Christians like this? I sure do cuz I'm Catholic. Listen here, your aunt acts this way because she is old fashioned and the idea of hell is medieval. A preacher named John Carapi even says the idea of hell isn't even real. Before anyone goes in Heaven (or Hell if there is one) they must first go through Purgatory. Your aunt doesn't represent the Church, so don't use that as a basis to label everyone else!

Ugh... don't you hate when hardcore Christians talk about homosexuality? I have a God nut aunt who is always talking about how freaking holy she is, and how everyone should be just like her if you don't want to burn in hell. Anyway, she said "I saw a really young gay couple kissing earlier today. That's definitely Satan stealing personalities!". I always try to be like "yeah, you're right, go, Jesus!" even if I'm personally an atheist, but I seriously hate when people are ignorant like that. It's creepy, because they think they have the right to be intolerant. Anyway, rant over ^^
i don't think he was attacking the WHOLE church. he was pretty specific in his rant :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom