• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I, personally, don't find it offensive at all. I say "wow, that's really gay" or "yeah, my brother plays a really gay bowser". I'm also not bothered by "***" either. It's probably because I don't think of my sexuality as an identity at all. I would think that it's offensive to people who consider homosexuality to be part a major of their identity but I could be wrong on that.

I do have a funny story related to this topic though. One day I was walking to the bookstore with a few friends and I said "Geez, zac, you're such a *** sometimes." This random girl just glares at me and starts walking towards me. I knew right away what was coming. So she starts to lecture me on how I shouldn't use that word and how words like that hurt people and I have no place using the word and blah blah blah. So I stopped her mid-rant and said "Honey, are you gay? No? Well dear, last time I checked I was. So I don't know where you get off lecturing a gay man about using words that should offend him. Do you walk up to black people and lecture them about the n-word? No? Didn't think so. So how do we feel about me using that word now?" I have no idea how to describe the look on her face. It was a combination of shock, confusion, and I detected a bit of shame because now she felt stupid for speaking out of turn. Now that I look at this in writing, it's not that funny to read, it's one of those "you had to be there" things

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35td3QUrLVA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPz9M1t4t0s

here. I think these are pretty good for that subject.

but, I mean, I have absolutely no problem with the word being used that way. That's not to say that you can't offend me by speaking of homosexuality in a pejoritive manor, but the words "that's so gay" don't do it... for me at least.
Haha, ace!
The first one is the best.
But yep, very valid points.

I, personally, don't find it offensive at all. I say "wow, that's really gay" or "yeah, my brother plays a really gay bowser". I'm also not bothered by "***" either. It's probably because I don't think of my sexuality as an identity at all. I would think that it's offensive to people who consider homosexuality to be part a major of their identity but I could be wrong on that.

I do have a funny story related to this topic though. One day I was walking to the bookstore with a few friends and I said "Geez, zac, you're such a *** sometimes." This random girl just glares at me and starts walking towards me. I knew right away what was coming. So she starts to lecture me on how I shouldn't use that word and how words like that hurt people and I have no place using the word and blah blah blah. So I stopped her mid-rant and said "Honey, are you gay? No? Well dear, last time I checked I was. So I don't know where you get off lecturing a gay man about using words that should offend him. Do you walk up to black people and lecture them about the n-word? No? Didn't think so. So how do we feel about me using that word now?" I have no idea how to describe the look on her face. It was a combination of shock, confusion, and I detected a bit of shame because now she felt stupid for speaking out of turn. Now that I look at this in writing, it's not that funny to read, it's one of those "you had to be there" things
And this my friend. Must go to a hall of fame somewhere!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
those were funny Sonic.

being black and hearing the n-word daily doesn't bother me anymore than it does when gay is used lol.
see that's odd because the word n***** just makes me cringe inside and I'm as white as the driven snow. I litterally cannot stand it at all to the point where I have to tell people to stop using it around me. of course, being gay, the word f***** makes me feel just as uncomfortable. as does the word c*** for some utterly arbitrary reason... I think it's just because it sounds so dirty.

anyhow... yeah. I cannot STAND discrimination of any sort so if the Fa word or the N word are being used in an insulting manor, not just joking, but mean spirited attacking, I pretty much breath flames. I've given more than a few people the rough side of my tongue for that

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
see that's odd because the word n***** just makes me cringe inside and I'm as white as the driven snow. I litterally cannot stand it at all to the point where I have to tell people to stop using it around me. of course, being gay, the word f***** makes me feel just as uncomfortable. as does the word c*** for some utterly arbitrary reason... I think it's just because it sounds so dirty.

anyhow... yeah. I cannot STAND discrimination of any sort so if the Fa word or the N word are being used in an insulting manor, not just joking, but mean spirited attacking, I pretty much breath flames. I've given more than a few people the rough side of my tongue for that
Apparently I can't say the word chink, but black people can....
I'm asian by the way. I mean racial slurrs are mean and all, and I don't approve of it, but when stuff like this happens... It makes me wonder.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm too apathetic to be affected by any form of discrimination. I can personally find it amusing, unless it boils down to something ridiculous like lynching. But I mean, homophobia has about zero affect on me, I've just come to accept that it's just the way straight people naturally feel about it. It's funny, the word f** in England is generally only used as slang for a cigarette :chuckle:. F***ot means the same, but alas I care not for such petty insults, I've heard worse things that weren't discriminatory.
Oh and c*** is an incredible word, but I'm a Londoner, so I'd say that :)

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
um...
i'm straight...
and i use words that may be taken the wrong way by some people who don't know me.
i say "gay" as an insult from time to time.
but the way i see it, i don't take offense to any verbal comments when i know they're not with ill intentions.
and i believe that if i were gay, that wouldn't change.
i'm actually really defensive towards gay bashing.

so... is it really a bad thing for me to be saying that? like... really? lol

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
um...
i'm straight...
and i use words that may be taken the wrong way by some people who don't know me.
i say "gay" as an insult from time to time.
but the way i see it, i don't take offense to any verbal comments when i know they're not with ill intentions.
and i believe that if i were gay, that wouldn't change.
i'm actually really defensive towards gay bashing.

so... is it really a bad thing for me to be saying that? like... really? lol
It's not really if it is bad or not. But do you mean the word 'gay' as a insult because the object is stupid like a 'gay', or that the object is 'gay' meaning it is just stupid.

Oh and c*** is an incredible word, but I'm a Londoner, so I'd say that :)
Of course! So many things to use it in.

Mith_

Smash Champion
It's not really if it is bad or not. But do you mean the word 'gay' as a insult because the object is stupid like a 'gay', or that the object is 'gay' meaning it is just stupid.
im pretty sure he means gay as in stupid. i don't know any ways to use the first definition in context.

bored

Smash Ace
I (and most of my friends) sometimes use remarks that most consider racist when I'm around a few of my black friends. But they find it more amusing rather than offensive cause they know I'm just joking with them. The word *** doesn't even phase me.

Actually they last until they get bored.
Hilarious.....

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198

WARNING, THIS MAY SOUND ****ED UP...
here's an example:
marth CGs falco to tipper. zero to death. "wow... that falco got hella gayed"
meaning he was 'cheated' or not given a fair chance.
as if to say he was treated as bad as the gays are treated.
and it can also be replaced with "jew" as in, "i got jewed out of that stock"
seeing as how history taught me that jews, in general, have been screwed over plenty of times.

i do understand that my group of friends are not alone in this 'slang' but this is my example...
i also understand this is a hit or miss offense.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
how does a person's use of any racial epithets showing lack of education?
lol maybe it shows a bit of ignorance (like we ALL do from time to time), but not a lack of education...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If you are unable to get your point across without using ad hominem attacks, you exemplify an extreme lack of sophistication and intellectual ability.

Nobody wins when you speak as such.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Profanity is the absolute lowest form of humor. it's ranked even under puns. When people speak using racial/sexual/etc. slurs, they really DO give off an air of being tremendously crude and stupid.

honestly. I don't want to come off as stereotypical because that would completely undermine the point I'm trying to make, but to give an example, my drunken redneck uncle and my less than educated coworkers will descirbe a man as a n***** before they'd call him black. They'd call latinos "*****", asians "chinks", muslims or anybody who looks middle eastern in any way "Towel Heads"

It's not so awful when you are using the words in a playful fashion with friends (adam and myself have referred to how we might be fa**ing it up when we are being especially stereotypically gay, but that's okay because we are both gay and we are using it saracastically) but many people use it to demean other people... which is deplorable. and, just as bad, to describe some person with indifference. When you call someone a towel head without ever having met them (like the do about out president elect) then it just shows a special kind of stupidity and intolerance. I don't hate many people, but those who are intolerant of others or just plain stupid in other ways, I deplore.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
If you are unable to get your point across without using ad hominem attacks, you exemplify an extreme lack of sophistication and intellectual ability.

Nobody wins when you speak as such.
consider that getting your point across while using ignorant slurs may be quicker or easier for someone that it would be to think of an explanation that would sidestep all offensive terms and/or phrases. wouldn't it be smarter to go with the easiest or quickest path to prove a possibly menial point which lacks the significance required to summon the effort it could take to conjure a more politically correct statement?

so... i'm not usually a douche bag like this. haha
i'm not saying i think it's a good thing to use racial slurs. i'm simply arguing that it has no reflection towards one's intelligence or education.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The point is, it's not a true argument at all. It's not even as legitimate as a straw man argument in a debate. A racial slur does not prove a point faster in any sense, and if it does prove me wrong, but perpetuating hate by saying it makes discourse easier is an absurd logical fallacy.

And I'm not trying to seem rude or combative, but it's a subject I'm moderately opinionated on, and it's frustrating some times to argue against something that is both awful, and a cultural norm

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The point is, it's not a true argument at all. It's not even as legitimate as a straw man argument in a debate. A racial slur does not prove a point faster in any sense, and if it does prove me wrong, but perpetuating hate by saying it makes discourse easier is an absurd logical fallacy.

And I'm not trying to seem rude or combative, but it's a subject I'm moderately opinionated on, and it's frustrating some times to argue against something that is both awful, and a cultural norm
We must also understand that racial slurs aren't suppose to make a point, but rather be a insult. And apparently it works just as well as one calling a person a D**k flavored giraffe. It offends people and adds anger. It is to enrage a person to effectively lower the standards of that said person. Most of the time it works, whether inducing anger, or lower standards.

Yes, I believe a more intelligent manner should be approached with in a quarrel, however, the quickest route is the easiest. It is wrong to do but it works.

And even though I love having these conversations it is highly off topic. So, let us talk about the previous question rather then arguing about a comment.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Word choice is entirely dependent on context. If I'm talking to my professor there's no way I'm going to use profanity and I speak very clearly in terms of both enunciation and intention. But if I'm talking casually with a friend there's no way I'm going to use a more "sophisticated" vocabulary. I'd just come off as an arrogant prick. But if I spoke too casually with someone above me I'd come off as disrespectful and maybe dumb. You need to speak on the same level as the audience you're addressing. A lot of english speakers don't get this. Oh and how I'd love to talk about how clothing choice can effect what level of speech you use but I'd rather write an essay on it and get credit in my composition class next semester.

Also, racial slurs are extremely contextual. The only black girl at my school called me "her ******". That doesn't mean she's uneducated or she thinks of me as a fellow african-american, as a matter of fact she's one of the brightest people I know. It's just a lot faster than saying that I'm "her friend that she has a lot of respect for and we have an understanding that we'll look out for eachother" and when used in my defense it means "leave him alone or you're gonna have to deal with me". Now if one of the other kids were to say that about me or her they'd be implying that either of us were far beneath them, less than human, like that way it was originally used.

... What was the original topic?

EDIT/Sidenote: For those of you who do not have the link to the CHAT room, here it is once again. http://xat.com/LGBTSmashers

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Word choice is entirely dependent on context. If I'm talking to my professor there's no way I'm going to use profanity and I speak very clearly in terms of both enunciation and intention. But if I'm talking casually with a friend there's no way I'm going to use a more "sophisticated" vocabulary. I'd just come off as an arrogant prick. But if I spoke too casually with someone above me I'd come off as disrespectful and maybe dumb. You need to speak on the same level as the audience you're addressing. A lot of english speakers don't get this. Oh and how I'd love to talk about how clothing choice can effect what level of speech you use but I'd rather write an essay on it and get credit in my composition class next semester.

Also, racial slurs are extremely contextual. The only black girl at my school called me "her ******". That doesn't mean she's uneducated or she thinks of me as a fellow african-american, as a matter of fact she's one of the brightest people I know. It's just a lot faster than saying that I'm "her friend that she has a lot of respect for and we have an understanding that we'll look out for eachother" and when used in my defense it means "leave him alone or you're gonna have to deal with me". Now if one of the other kids were to say that about me or her they'd be implying that either of us were far beneath them, less than human, like that way it was originally used.

... What was the original topic?

EDIT/Sidenote: For those of you who do not have the link to the CHAT room, here it is once again. http://xat.com/LGBTSmashers
If the word 'Gay' is used as an insult does it bother you.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
If the word 'Gay' is used as an insult does it bother you.
Not at all. I don't see why it should and think it's funny that people use it or take it as an insult. I'm not saying people who take it as an insult are stupid or anything. Personally, I don't see why people consider it an insult. "***" is a different case. I'm not bothered by it but I see why other people would be. It has a stronger meaning than gay.

M.K

Level 55
I'm not.... gay or anything, but does what does the "T" stand for? It's "Lesbian, Gay, Bi...?" Is it "Transexuals"?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i think it depends...most people i know that are gay aren't really offended by it...it's sort of like people using '********' as an insult...most people aren't too picky about it but some are :/..i think ******** is worse anyway...

and LOL at Cashed.

pdk

Smash Lord
don't care strongly about THAT'S SO GAY and such used lightheartedly, xat folk have probably noticed my tendency to use terms like *** and ginzo self-referentially since i don't mind people innocently talking that way among friends and as far as i'm concerned folks are free to use them as simple insults as well

on the other subject in here right now xat folk have probably also figured out my take on stuff like casual sex, you feel free to **** your brains out but personally i rather at least get to know someone a bit and hit it off over various other subjects of chit-chat first

you guessed right meta-kirby

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the reason "that's so gay" doesn't bother me is because it's not being used to try to demean homosexuals at all. calling me a f**, however, would be. THAT would probably set me off. other racial slurs work the same way and irritate me just as much, even if they aren't aimed at a people to which I belong.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hmm, I've noticed that I hear the "That's so gay" comment a LOT more in the gamer community than I do in any other group I hang out with. Maybe it's because I usually socialize with girls, and I feel like guys say it more in general, but I can't recall any of my numerous non-gamer male friends using it all that often either.

In any case, I usually choose not to say it. It doesn't affect me, personally, but I know how it feels when people use racial slurs as a joke and it irks just the slightest bit. It doesn't offend me, per se, but I have that moment of being very, very uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to make anyone else feel that way when I could so easily choose a word other than "gay" or "********". (I'm kind of guilty for saying "That's so ********" on a regular basis, but I'm trying my hardest to stop.)

As long as people have good intentions, though, the words matter less, at least between people who know each other. You can usually tell when someone's trying to be hateful vs. when they're just throwing out a generic phrase.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm guilty of saying "That's gay!" I only say it in front of people that know me very well, though; I don't say it in front of people I don't know well for reasons that have already been outlined by numerous people.

I don't mean anything by it. As KayLo said, it's a generic phrase.

And Jiggly, l2p against MK.

(Good Lord, you leave "Metaknight" as an acronym and that sentence rhymes. Roses are red/violets are black/shoot him dead/Because Smooth Criminal's poetry is whack!

...what have I done?)

Smooth Criminal

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
You should have apologizing to of prima guide or I'll reporting you to the staffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom