• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanky

Smash Cadet
Sorry to interrupt everyone's conversation lol, but I guess I need a little input.

I came out very recently. I'm 19, and I'm going to be a junior in college this year. My family and close friends have been pretty supportive, that's not the issue. The problem is, I have no idea how to function in a 'gay' atmosphere. I have very few gay friends, I don't know where or how to meet any gay guys, and even if I did I don't have the first clue how to date one. I mean I've dated a plethora of girls in my life but none of them had any real meaning, I didn't have any real emotional investment in them.

Plus, you can add to that I'm very picky, I don't want to date some flamboyant guy but at the same time I don't want to date some closeted macho guy.

I just don't know what to do and feel kind of lost. And all of a sudden I have 19 years of unresolved emotions rushing in and I want to hurry the process, even though I know I can't. Any ideas?

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Welcome to the thread, Shanky. *hands you a rainbow helium balloon* So, it's cool that you came out and it's cool you want to gay it up and all of that. For just meeting gay friends, just start networking, you know. If you're the kind of guy who can talk with people easily, just make some friends and if you're openly out, I'm sure you'll run into some gays sooner or later. Maybe your school has a Gay Peeps club; mine does. Go to parties with all those newfound friends you've made and just be cool, ya know.

As far as guys go, I don't have much (any) positive experiences in that department, but I try to live by a few guidelines. Being picky probably won't help. Not saying you shouldn't have preferences or pointers, but you're not going to find the perfect guy on your first go-around, ya know. And if you have little things that aren't on your list of "my first boyfriend", you might get turned off of a guy too soon.

I'd say you should try to find some gay people to hang around, even some lezzies. It really helps to have people like that in your life when you come out. Definitely helped me.

Keep up with the good work KingReMO. Your the one who made this thread right, if I recall. My mistake if you didn't.
Heya, Lumber <3 Wood. I remember you from the early days. Yeap, that's me. Mr. Thread Creator. But heh, I feel like I haven't done much. It's more like "Keep up with the good work Gay Smashers Community, heh. This is one of my favorite little corners of the internet. Made a lotta friends, talked about a lotta stuff. It's been really good. ^_^

TheMike54

Smash Rookie
*hands you a rainbow helium balloon*
I have a problem. I really like rainbows, but I'm not gay. So when I wear my rainbow t-shirt, under I have to write "But Not Gay". But it's not like I'm against gay people so under that I have to write "But Supportive". I just think it's weird that one group gets refracted light all to themselves. That's pretty greedy gays.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I'll be coming here more often. Nice to see all of you making stronger bonds. :D
Yay! Wibi! Nice to have you back.

I just don't know what to do and feel kind of lost. And all of a sudden I have 19 years of unresolved emotions rushing in and I want to hurry the process, even though I know I can't. Any ideas?
I'm going to go with Remo on this one and say that you definitely can't be doing this alone. Even if you don't currently have any gay/lesbian friends, find someone who's willing to go out with you to "explore". Some of your straight women friends would be totally into going out to a club/district/pride festival/whatever with you: gay friends are like hand bags for some of them (in a good way ;)). If you're a little iffy about actually asking someone (gay or straight) to go with you to "gay out" , just bring it up subtly in conversation, and let them says "oh we sooo totally have to go to this bar" or whatever. Worked with me (both my roommates--and half a dozen older housewives in the neighbourhood--are "scouting" for me <<;; ).

Welcome to the thread, Shanky! Hope you'll stick around and share some stories.

I have a problem. I really like rainbows, but I'm not gay.
Wait, wait, wait. You actually like rainbows? I figured we got them because no one else would take the dang things. You can have 'em back, for all I care.

We stole lots of other things, too. Like Cher.
You can have her back too. Now.

EDIT: Gah, didn't realise the post was a reference to a comedy act. Blast.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of noisecore. ;P

I have a problem. I really like rainbows, but I'm not gay. So when I wear my rainbow t-shirt, under I have to write "But Not Gay". But it's not like I'm against gay people so under that I have to write "But Supportive". I just think it's weird that one group gets refracted light all to themselves. That's pretty greedy gays.
Demitri Martin is hilarious. XD

Sorry to interrupt everyone's conversation lol, but I guess I need a little input.

I came out very recently. I'm 19, and I'm going to be a junior in college this year. My family and close friends have been pretty supportive, that's not the issue. The problem is, I have no idea how to function in a 'gay' atmosphere. I have very few gay friends, I don't know where or how to meet any gay guys, and even if I did I don't have the first clue how to date one. I mean I've dated a plethora of girls in my life but none of them had any real meaning, I didn't have any real emotional investment in them.

Plus, you can add to that I'm very picky, I don't want to date some flamboyant guy but at the same time I don't want to date some closeted macho guy.

Just be yourself, man. There is no predefined way to act or function.
I act like my goofy self no matter where I am. ;P

As for dating, just keep an eye open.
Social Networking sites are awesome (read: not myspace, hurr).
And there are plenty of guys out there that aren't crammed into the stereotypical gay archetypes.
I'm one (I think so anyways), and Sidney (the guy I've been harping about) is one.
So just be on the lookout. You never know who you'll meet. ;D

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
Bourbonnais IL||I consider myself competent. AIM:
For a good time, add Desu!
2148-7813-5834

;P
If I get Brawl and my wii to love each other again, I'd love to spar.

And Shanky I'm going to give you the advice I got.

Don't rush into something. IE: Sex/relationship Just because you met another gay guy. You don't have to lower your standards if that's the case. I ran into that issue because I'll be perfectly honest, I'm kind of an elitist for the most part, I go for a relationship first.

My friend who I spent the weekend with commented, and I quote, "I wish I would have met you last year, I had a lot of hte same ideals you did....I didn't want sex quickly. I didn't want to just oDO someone. I wanted to make love with someone I was in love with..."

But after several bad relationships, he told himself that that was all there was. And he says he wants so much to be together but he doesn't trust himself anymore. He's too into sex, he fears.

Or he did anyway. I think he almost told me he loved me the other night.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see your prostitute thing, but it's probably not appropriate for this forum, bud. If you can't talk about sex, you think sex for money is kosher? And what the heck puked all over that myspace, seriously? Like, is that a real band? Is it a joke? I mean... it's so... ugh. I mean, I'm not the type to crap over people's musical interests, but Jesus Tapdancing Christ.... Have fun with that...
hahaha, since when were people not allowed to talk about sexual things on SWF anyway,
this thread is about sexual orientation..theres nothing wrong with it!
male prostitutes are people too

-love,
whut?

blink777

Smash Journeyman
hahaha, since when were people not allowed to talk about sexual things on SWF anyway,
Just be careful. This thread and others about relationships have been closed before for "going too far".

By the way, does anyone else visit that "RealJock" site that seems to be in 90% of this threads ads? Not a bad site, actually (for multiple reasons, yayuhz).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
ZOMG. Demetri Martin.

I am gay for De De De

Smash Cadet

This is a large problem with gay youth in today's climate of mixed acceptance. Growing up they cannot be themselves; they cannot experience all the straight mistakes young people make emotionally and physically. Typically when a gay man comes out they go through this "***** phase" where they sleep with a bunch of guys in a short time. It's like going through this adolescent phase when you should be past it. Some gay men -- "*****y queens" -- still act like life is a popularity contest. It's sad.

My advice to you would be to merely be yourself. Don't get hung up on how flamboyant or masculine someone is. Gay guys already have a reduced dating pool anyhow, no use making it artificially smaller. It's alright to be picky, just make sure it's for the right reasons.

Try to find some gay areas in your nearest city. Coffee shops? A Gay Bookstore? They exist almost everywhere. If you go to college they might have a GLBT group. Make new friends and take it from there. The more gay guys you know, the easier it is to know more gay guys. ;)

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
I would be if mine would WORK. I've rented two other ones, the first rental copy was mauled and the second one was all smudged.

The second one they even CLEANED

It'd be nice if I could say it's my Wii, but I don't have ANY problems with ANY other games. None at all.

Though my wii DOES sound depressing

EdIT: ZOMG My copy of brawl works. STARING AT FRIEND ROSTER. SOMEONE JOIN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! I'm so alone... ._.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would be if mine would WORK. I've rented two other ones, the first rental copy was mauled and the second one was all smudged.

The second one they even CLEANED

It'd be nice if I could say it's my Wii, but I don't have ANY problems with ANY other games. None at all.

Though my wii DOES sound depressing

EdIT: ZOMG My copy of brawl works. STARING AT FRIEND ROSTER. SOMEONE JOIN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! I'm so alone... ._.
Awesome. It worked. I can't get on now (I'm about to eat), but I'll add you. Hopefully we'll be able to play sometime.

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
Ha ha, I already added you, still staring at friend roster. Send me a message on AIM if I'm not doing noticing you.

And I hate to set ground rules, but some known issues that I've HAD in the past are...

I tend to crash at the arena selection screen.

Smashville-it just DOESNT work. Stick with Battlefield/Final destination.

Sonic's victory crashes, so if you pick sonic, I HAVE TO WIN >:C

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Got it. I use Mario, and prefer to stick to FD/Delfino Plaza so there should be no problems.

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
The menu was too much XD I got a Disc read error. Sad candy for Andy.

After some experimentation, I has a roster.

Samus
Mario
Luigi (In the blue and black costume, but we're not sure if that matters XD)

...Yeah. That might be it >_>

And that's pretending that the game doesn't crash loading any of the menus.

Ness gets to Sandbag, but cannot fight. >:c

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Spent the whole day cleaning my room and office...
There's so much spaaaace!
It's seriously huge without clothes and random junk lying all over the place, haha!
Also dusted and vacuumed and stuff.
I feel... Accomplished. n_n

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Spent the whole day cleaning my room and office...
There's so much spaaaace!
It's seriously huge without clothes and random junk lying all over the place, haha!
Also dusted and vacuumed and stuff.
I feel... Accomplished. n_n
I feel like raining on your parade, so I'll remind you that it's temporary. And, by temporary, I mean that it won't last beyond a day ;).

<3

Long live disorganization!

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
Hello. I thought I'd pop up, post and say hi (in that order) although I've been lurking on the boards for quite some time. It's quite nice to see something of a gay community on SmashBoards, I always wondered if there would be something like it. I've seen certain homophobic sentiments expressed but mostly things seem to be pretty well handled.

Fairly self-evidently I'm gay. I'm out of the closet to everyone, family, friends and so on. Until recently I was in a relationship with another guy my age.

As to Super Smash. Bros, I main Ike and have done for some months and although I'm quite conscious of how he's not quite Metaknight/Snake, I couldn't care less. Most of my time has been spent playing Brawl as opposed to Melee (gosh!). I also play Marth, who is perhaps more tournament viable, and also play Zelda and Ganondorf.

Uhh. You'll probably see a lot more of me. So, whee!

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Welcome to the thread KHSteve, I hope you have a nice time here. ^^ Ummmm... so I notice you have a Brawl FC, maybe we could play sometime... though I suck against Ike. @_@ Not that you can't play as him if we ever do play, just be prepared to win. =P

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the thread KHSteve, I hope you have a nice time here. ^^ Ummmm... so I notice you have a Brawl FC, maybe we could play sometime... though I suck against Ike. @_@ Not that you can't play as him if we ever do play, just be prepared to win. =P
I'd love to play sometime! Unfortunately my Wii is basically indisposed until next week, though, because I lent it to someone like the nutter that I am. Don't worry, though - I'm really no good against Peach. :p

Faora Meridian

Smash Apprentice
Welcome Steve, to the thread! *pins a badge of Ike in Peach's dress to your shirt*

Be prepared for silliness, friendliness and all around insanity. We're a good bunch!

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Welcome Steve, to the thread! *pins a badge of Ike in Peach's dress to your shirt*
Gah! Our novelty baubles suck. Rainbow balloons and a blue-haired guy in a pink dress ;).

That being said, *hands Steve a pink cupcake* (I still haven't figured out if there's an innuendo there). Welcome to the thread.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I LOVE fish.
It's interesting. If I had to diet and ditch all meat, the reason I couldn't do it would be because of my love for poultry. I loves me some chicken tenders. Chicken...mmm....
I can throw down on some hella good chicken tenders, Lolo. I should cook some up for you.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I LOVE fish.
It's interesting. If I had to diet and ditch all meat, the reason I couldn't do it would be because of my love for poultry. I loves me some chicken tenders. Chicken...mmm....
There's a such thing as doing that, it's called semi-vegetarianism. =P As long as you don't eat red meat that is, for some reason poultry and chicken are okay. I'm considering going back to semi-vegetarianism because being a lacto-ovo vegetarian is tiresome. ;_;

Shanky

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the thread, Shanky. *hands you a rainbow helium balloon* So, it's cool that you came out and it's cool you want to gay it up and all of that. For just meeting gay friends, just start networking, you know. If you're the kind of guy who can talk with people easily, just make some friends and if you're openly out, I'm sure you'll run into some gays sooner or later. Maybe your school has a Gay Peeps club; mine does. Go to parties with all those newfound friends you've made and just be cool, ya know.

As far as guys go, I don't have much (any) positive experiences in that department, but I try to live by a few guidelines. Being picky probably won't help. Not saying you shouldn't have preferences or pointers, but you're not going to find the perfect guy on your first go-around, ya know. And if you have little things that aren't on your list of "my first boyfriend", you might get turned off of a guy too soon.

I'd say you should try to find some gay people to hang around, even some lezzies. It really helps to have people like that in your life when you come out. Definitely helped me.

Thanks, definitely seems like good advice. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Btw, I love fish too. Especially sushi, yummmm...

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
I had sushi for the first time tonight.

I also got brawl running for one match against an arrogant guy who was all like "I'm better tahn EVERYONE."

And as the battel loaded he sent me a message on AIM that said "Perish" And I was like "Yeah, Okay I'm using MARIO and I'm terrible with him."

I pwn't his face. It was so gratifying. He called me a homo and blamed lag.

EDIT: Didn't realize that page 163 was born. Lollerskates.

In gay news, my highschool crush was hitting on me HARDCORE TONIGHT. RAnging frmo demanding that I pick a sour patch kid out of his mouth wiht my teeth, to slapping me on the *** to playing with my hair in a gentle manner.

IT WAS WEIRD.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
In gay news, my highschool crush was hitting on me HARDCORE TONIGHT. RAnging frmo demanding that I pick a sour patch kid out of his mouth wiht my teeth, to slapping me on the *** to playing with my hair in a gentle manner.

IT WAS WEIRD.
*smacks* Lucky little.... I have yet to even be hit on by a guy, only chicks (which, for some odd reason, has increased in frequency since coming out <<; ). Closest I've gotten was a guy checking me out the other day, but I wanted to smack him, because he was already with someone. Gah!

Anyway, back to being mildly serious: I don't remember the story behind this guy. Is he actually gay? Or is he just goofing around? No offense, but was he plastered? :p

And for the record: I hate seafood. Just about everything else (but KFC... that **** is nassssty) is fair game though. Luvz Desu's comment.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Well, I'm not gay; however, I don't judge by relationships or stereotypes. It's all bull that people don't need.

I have a gay friend online, from Deviantart, who's a cool guy and is always a blast to talk to. Some of his feminine quotes are halarious as well like, "Never ask a lady about his weight!" or something like that. XP We play each other on brawl and I try to coach him on how to play better. He uses Peach(uber-floater) and Pikachu(non spammer). He's very good though, I bet if the lag wasn't so bad, he'd finally beat my Yoshi. However he has beaten my Lucario once, and that's one of my 2nds.

Not to mention, he's a very good artist! He constantly says that something about his art sucks. View his gallery and tell me what sucks about his work, because I just don't see it! http://b-plushi.deviantart.com He even made a funny picture called "Smashtards" that he included me in it. I'm the Yoshi/human dude. :D ... I'm not short.

Also he made a journal that you guys might want to read. Whether you went through this or not. Just see what he went through during coming out. http://b-plushi.deviantart.com/journal/9162550/#comments
That's one of the reasons why I don't judge.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for sharing your friend's story, yoshiunity. The "Smashtards" drawing was hilariously awesome, and his blog post on coming out was a great read. Sounds like a really good person: any chance you can drag him over here to Smashboards?

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Thanks for sharing your friend's story, yoshiunity. The "Smashtards" drawing was hilariously awesome, and his blog post on coming out was a great read. Sounds like a really good person: any chance you can drag him over here to Smashboards?
Cool. I'll see what I can do. The only problem with him is that he's very random on when he gets on. He might come on here now, then come on at 2am in the morning(Eastern Time). Plus, even if he comes on here. He'll still come on Da a lot more. So I'll recommend making a Deviantart account if you want to have a good lengthy conversation with him. www.deviantart.com or just use the link in the preivous post. Tell him that YoshiUnity sent ya. :)

That journal was cool. That is one of those moments where you can tell who you're real friends are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom