• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I always thought of myself being Bi for quite awhile. Then I eventually decided girls were not for me XD I couldn't picture myself with a girl in a romantic way >.<
All of my gay friends are like that. I think most guys start out telling people they're Bi. I think it feels more socially accepted and therefore easier to come out with at first. But, yeah I agree with Seiya. I can find girls attractive to a point, but I couldn't have a real relationship with one. It just wouldn't work, ha.

Yukichu

Smash Apprentice
All of my gay friends are like that. I think most guys start out telling people they're Bi. I think it feels more socially accepted and therefore easier to come out with at first. But, yeah I agree with Seiya. I can find girls attractive to a point, but I couldn't have a real relationship with one. It just wouldn't work, ha.
Same here. I find some really cute(but never really hot), but I'd never date them.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I find some cute too like my one friend... and probably a few more or even several... but I'm not atracted to THAT kinda cute. X3

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I said I was bisexual before I said I was gay.

I could see myself possibly doing something with a girl, but if it ever did happen it would probably be a drunken one-night stand sorta thing between friends that makes everything really awkward afterwards. Just like happens sometimes between straight guys!

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I also used being bisexual as a cushion before I fully accepted I was gay.

Though, in the past two years I have been really attracted to one of my best girl friends. And I think the reason is that she is such a guy at heart. She's really tomboyish with short hair and has a very feminine voice, but I think it's so ridiculously hot. She even told me she wishes she was a guy.

I kind of do too...

But yeah, she's the only female I've seriously been attracted to.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
that is trr...in fact i do find myself more attracted to guys than girls...but I am in fact love with Japanese girls =D

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sadly, after the Toecutter episode, I am contemplating closing this topic down. It's more so I see his side of the argument, in that you are all people, why do you need a special topic? How about I give you all until Sunday night to finish up this thread as you see fit, and that'll be the end of it?

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Aww man..that sucks. I guess it's alright. We all can still talk to each other someway(AIM, MSN, etc) =\

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Are you going to lock the Mormon thread, too? This thread had a purpose, for gay individuals to talk about how they're going through life as a minority. They've answered questions to straight smashers, and have revealed some pretty personal stuff here-- just like the Mormon thread.

As you said, a straight smasher thread would be allowed if Toecutter hadn't been a **** about it. I don't think this thread should suffer from his queeniness. And if for some reason you think I'm protecting this thread just because they're gay, or because they're a minority, you're wrong. I just don't like Toecutter. I just think this thread ended in an unfair way.

I know I don't really have the place to say anything, I just wanted to get my opinion out. ;)

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
This thread is a haven where homosexuals can come and speak to others about the stress and hardships that they go through, as well as be who they are without fear of ridicule. We are people, but that doesn't mean we aren't different. It IS very hard going through life like this, and if you read through the thread Crimson King you'll find that a lot of people have finally built up the courage to say what they've been hiding for a long time. And have had open arms waiting for them.

To close this thread means that just about every thread that makes any differentiation between people should be closed as well. Not everyone is the same, people or not, and Toecutter's immature attack against this thread is by far an uncalled for reason to do so, ESPECIALLY after it has proved invaluable to so many people.

If this thread gets closed, the following Threads would have to be closed for the same reason:

Things you want to know about Mormons. [We are all people, but not all of us are Mormon, or plan to be Mormon, or are interested in finding out Mormon's views on things. So, if this thread is closed so should this one be.]

Religion: What is it good for? [We as all people, but some of us are aetheists, and some of us are Christian, and some Muslim. Since we are all the same as people, a topic discussing things like religion is unnescesary.]

Girls/Guys/Relationships. [We are all people. Some people want to remain single in life. This thread stands against those peoples decisions.]

On of my best friend died yesterday morning... [We are all people. Not everyone has had friends who have died. This draws attention to the fact that this person is different.]

Post the worst injuries you've had here [We are all people. Not all of us have ever had bad injuries. Once again calling attention to this is drawing attention to the fact that we are different.]

anyone afraid of death? [We are all people, but some of us want to die. Some don't. Some even help it along. And even though some could go here to seek possible comfort from their fears, it still shouldn't exist if this one does not.]

Do you play a musical Instrument? [We are all people, but we aren't all musicians. Talking about musical instruments we play and being band members differentiates this group from other people just as much as this thread.]

Giants Win!!!! [This may be hard to believe for some, but though we are all people, not everyone cares about football. Giant's fans are particularly happy about this thread I'm sure, but that sets them apart from fans of the Patriots as well as people who do not care about football.]

skateboarding [We are all people, but not all of us skateboard or care to ever skateboard. Skateboarders can go here to share tips and tricks, but not everyone can identify.]

Do you have any pets? And what are their names? [We are all people, but not everyone has pets or can have pets. Drawing attention to the fact that some people can have pets when others can't once again differentiates a group of people from other people.]

Armed Forces [We are all people, but not everyone supports the Armed Forces. Despite how they serve and protect us, they are still a group of people as much as anyone, and this topic differentiates them from others.]

So, does your local music scene suck as much as mine does? [We are people, but this thread singles out one person from the masses, and though he asks others opinion on it, discussion of such a thing just further differentiates everyone because not everyone goes to music stores, and not everyone's music store will suck.]

Media misrepresenting games/gamers [We are all people, Not everyone is a gamer. The media differentiates between groups of people too, and if they are misrepresenting gamers then it should just be ignored like anything else that sets a group of people aside from others.]

Married Smashers [Needless to say, not everyone is married or can get married, even though we are all people. Once again a group is set aside from everyone else.]

----

Thats just me skimming through the first and second page. Please reconsider your decision Crimson King. Please.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I don't know where to start. Everything that Ryoko, Xsyven, and Darkfur has said is completely appropiate. The "toecutter" argument has been brought many times and been shut down each time by the members of this thread. This thread is just like so many other threads in the Pool Room. As with all of those, this thread has a purpose and a point; for homosexuals to have a place where they can open up and talk about things in their life that they might not be able to in other places. Gay people are relevant enough to have a place where they can talk about themselves.

I'm really surprised you're taking this action, CK, because I really appreciate the support you gave this thread from the beginning. I really respect you as a person and as a moderator of SWF because you've been kind and fair since I've been a member here. Even when Mic_128 came in here and shut it down for no reason, you used your powers as a mod and opened back up, saying "if this thread is shut down, I will close the Girls/Guys/Relationships thread." That alone proves that you understand our side of this argument, and I can't understand why all that is just gone now because some kid has a problem with gay people talking amongst themselves.

People bring up this argument that it isn't necessary to partition ourselves like this, but I don't buy it for a second. It's just a way for these conservative-minded people to cause trouble and spread their homophobia because no one seems to have a problem with Mormons chatting, but for some reason, there isn't a end to the people trying to close this topic. Hmm...

There is nothing wrong with this thread, CK. I admit it started very shaky and controversial. Posters broke rules and were being explicit. You came in, told us to stop and we did, hastily. We respected you as a moderator, heeded our warnings, and fixed it because we all just wanted to keep the thread open. We haven't violated anything in the SWF Global Rules and it was appropiate to the Pool Room. You as a mod might say, "There's too much drama. I just wanna close it and be done with it." But, I'm tellin' ya, me and others have already made plans to argue about this in Forum Disputes and appeal this until we get it re-opened.

In the end, we just want to be left alone. We don't want people making threads, saying how we're unnecessary. We don't want people making huge arguments about gay marriage. We were doing just fine for such a long time. If this thread is closed, it will have nothing to do with rules & procedure and everything to do with opinions, personal preference, and damage control. I'm beggin' you, CK. Do the right thing, dude.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The only thing that made the toothcutter thread wrong was that it intended to attack this thread, it parodied this thread by mimicking this thread's opening posts, changing a few statements for context.

Other then that, there is nothing wrong with a "Straight smashers" thread, heck I'd probably participate.

Or a "straight white Christian male" thread for that matter. These types of discussions are precisely what this room is about, general discussions based around a topic. I see nothing opposed to it in the rules, so why the closure?

That and I do like to point out that it's not just gay smashers who are participating, people like myself drop in to comment when we have something relevant.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
I think... That... In high school I put up a facade of straightness, and that buffer gave me the impression that I was bisexual. It was only in March that I fully accepted my homosexuality.

So far, mother and several of my closer friends has accepted it, but given I live in the middle of Republican Hicksville, the minds of most are rather... How does one say, closed.

It's odd that IO've come out to so few in a year, but I have to be very selective with who I can trust. Oh, how pleased I'd be if it was all hunky dorey. IF no one cared what you preferred in your personal life. But alas, that isn't the case. IT's becoming more so, but... Not yet.

Sad face. D=

And then the thread gets busted! Oh, how trite!

Anyhoo, I'm always scrabbling for people to talk to. IF anyone would like to contact me for a brief tete-a-tete, let me know! My MSN is darkmagery@hotmail.com.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
I think... That... In high school I put up a facade of straightness, and that buffer gave me the impression that I was bisexual. It was only in March that I fully accepted my homosexuality.

So far, mother and several of my closer friends has accepted it, but given I live in the middle of Republican Hicksville, the minds of most are rather... How does one say, closed.

It's odd that IO've come out to so few in a year, but I have to be very selective with who I can trust. Oh, how pleased I'd be if it was all hunky dorey. IF no one cared what you preferred in your personal life. But alas, that isn't the case. IT's becoming more so, but... Not yet.

Sad face. D=

And then the thread gets busted! Oh, how trite!

Anyhoo, I'm always scrabbling for people to talk to. IF anyone would like to contact me for a brief tete-a-tete, let me know! My MSN is darkmagery@hotmail.com.
Don't give up hope on this thread yet Chipperbane. We are fighting for it.

As for your plight, it's very understandable. I grew up in Georgia, so I know what it's like to be in the middle of a state full of people that would alienate you if you came out. Some of my friends used to make whole conversations about how much they hated homosexuals and stuff. I was going through a hard time myself. I never truly was able to accept myself till I got out of it and came away to college.

It's great that you've been able to do it and even more so that you have been able to come out to family like that. ^_^ Not everyone is so lucky. Glad to have you here.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The last post I read was Xysven's, but I will get to the rest later. If I close this topic, I will also close the Mormon topic for the same reasons.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
Heh. Alienation isn't half of it, my friend.

I recently came upon a group of ... 6 or 7 people. Met them in college. Fun types. D&D, WoW, Swords fighting. MY kind of clique.

UNtil I learned that half of them were anti-homosexuality and that the majority's father(Three of them are brothers!) was voting for Mitt Romney solely because he didn't give 'queers no rights'.

I did however come out to one of the seven who I was crushing on madly. He was cool with it. Nothing will ever come of it but it feels really good to tell anyone, you know?

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Heh. Alienation isn't half of it, my friend.

I recently came upon a group of ... 6 or 7 people. Met them in college. Fun types. D&D, WoW, Swords fighting. MY kind of clique.

UNtil I learned that half of them were anti-homosexuality and that the majority's father(Three of them are brothers!) was voting for Mitt Romney solely because he didn't give 'queers no rights'.

I did however come out to one of the seven who I was crushing on madly. He was cool with it. Nothing will ever come of it but it feels really good to tell anyone, you know?
That sucks about that group of people. Homophobia is never fun. You really never know about people until it's comes out later. Fortunately, you didn't happen to come out to them before you knew about that.

Anywho, good luck with coming out. It really does feel great when you come out to every person, like little weights get lifted after each one. ^_^ And welcome to the thread~ Feel free to AIM me sometime to chat, I love meeting new people.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
Does anyone like the anime style Sakurai gave Pit for Brawl? Personally, I like it better than if he had beady eyes like the Ice Climbers.

If he were beady eyed I could honestly say he'd no longer be visually appealing to me. >.>

Also, I do not believe in AIM. Aim is sacrilege! Grr!

ON a more serious note, I have dial up, and downloading/installing AIM would take hours. And my patience isn't the most impressive thing. Sadface.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
This thread isn't gone yet Andydark. Please don't be so pessimistic. This is a legitimate topic and has just as much a right to exist as any legitimate topic in this room. I'm hoping CK will see that after reading what we've said... So many people have been helped by this thread, myself included as I've finally been able to understand and come to terms with what my friend and I did in HS. Something spoken about by me early in the topic. If it wasn't for this thread, I'd still be eaten up by that inside.

To Chipperbane. It really sucks about your group of friends. They sound like my kind of people too. I'm an avid role-player and love Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not to into WOW, but thats because addiction to it has ruined a few of my friend's lives. I don't hate it or anything, but I don't ever plan on putting myself in that kind of situation. It sucks when you find out friends are like that though.

Two of my best friends in HS that I hung out with a lot just broke my heart July of last year. I went to see both of them and we were talking about various things. Then while watching some anime, something sparked a bit of convo about homosexuallity. They said a few things that really damaged my view of them and I just can't look at them the same way again. =/

solrac_krad

Smash Apprentice
Cant believe some people are seriously considering locking this thread, really.
Saying why do we need a special topic, plenty of reasons, and not only gay people participate here, bi, straight, who knows if trans people are here :p

chuigarza

Smash Rookie
hey...well i was just wandering around and found this thread...we should make it keep going =D im gay actually, and maybe i could use your help... you see, in my HS i have thisSTUPID moral subject...and one of the topics that are gonna be presented this semester is homosexuality...so i was thinking, maybe one of you could give me a reliable website i can quote from. I mean, the other day i was looking for this kinds of websites, but i just kept finding negative perspectives of homosexuality, so i gave up, and kinda got depressed a little...that's why i need your help, id totaly apreciate it...and id love to join you on this thread
good luck everyone!

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Some of my best friends are gay. It doesn't change them as a person. they're cool people to hang around with. I have around 5 gay friends or so. None of them have ever hit on me. One of my gay friends fits into all gay steriotypes and I think my parents don't like me going to his house cause of it. Most of my gay friends suk at smash but still play it anyway. But really i don't know many people who are good at smash. I always beat everyone. I need competition but that won't be a problem in brawl (online play). There are 2 gay people in my school that I hate a lot and are the most annoying people in the world but i understand that not all of you are like that. I feel kind of wierd typeing gay so many times.

Also Darkfur I hope you can deal with your family problems. I feel bad that your grandma doesn't understand. Good luk on that.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
I think many people that you would never expect to be gay are but they are just embarrased to come out the closet. I could understand that happening.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
KingReMo what is WoW and how do you play dungens and dragons. All i've herd about it is that it's for nerds. No offence it just has a reputation

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
what's the big deal about this thread? it's one friggin thread. half the threads in this sub forum are crap, and you can see like 20/30 at a time. you honestly make it seem like it's just a bunch of people spamming. Honestly if a thread like "The Official NBA/Basketball/Hooping Thread" can get over 5 pages and a "Cool Usernames" can get up to 9, then you can't really rightfully close this thread.

Threads and their existence, over the long term, follow a free market supply and demand pattern. If a thread gets lots of posts and pages, it must have high demand. The demand can also be measured by view count too. There are only about 5 or 6 threads in about 5 or 6 pages worth of threads that have more views than this one. and of those threads half of them (not including this one) were all posted on today. Over tens of thousands of views shows that this thread must be viewed by a diverse set of people, far beyond just gay people, because those other 5 or 6 threads that have more of a viewer count than this one, the threads that aren't specific to a certain group of people also have tens of thousands of views. This is a strong indicator that this is a popular thread that serves the interests of the forumgoers by providing them with the one thing that forums provide best: discussion and spectation of said discussion. To close this thread would therefore go against the interests of the forumgoers - after all, aren't they, the forum goers, the people who you moderators serve? and like all great threads, if posts die down, eventually the rate of increase in viewership will diminish, and the thread will die, like many threads past. Maybe us gay people will eventually get bored with the thread and this would cause it to die? Let the death of this thread happen naturally - you know it will.

basically, serve the forum and its people, not yourself.

edit: wait a minute CK, aren't you one of those ron paul supporters, like i am? surely you're catching onto my free market / government should only interfere when a crisis emerges analogy here.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
KingReMo what is WoW and how do you play dungens and dragons. All i've herd about it is that it's for nerds. No offence it just has a reputation
First off, I wasn't the guy who talked about WoW and D&D; that was Chipperbane. WoW = World of Warcraft and I don't know how to play D&D.

Secondly, welcome to SWF and the thread. But, don't double, triple or quadruple post. You'll get in trouble.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The biggest issue is that when this topic first was brought up, it was viewed for closing numerous times because of arguments at Toecutter presented, which I assured most against it that it was not a general feeling amongst the boards.

I am less inclined to close this now, as I could cite that we have tons of topics for specific groups. I just have issues keeping this open, but closing down topics similar to it as we did with Toecutter. I am quite conflicted.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
The biggest issue is that when this topic first was brought up, it was viewed for closing numerous times because of arguments at Toecutter presented, which I assured most against it that it was not a general feeling amongst the boards.

I am less inclined to close this now, as I could cite that we have tons of topics for specific groups. I just have issues keeping this open, but closing down topics similar to it as we did with Toecutter. I am quite conflicted.
I think you said it best about why his topic was closed, Crimson King, when you responded to him in his second thread.

"A. Stop making yourself a victim. Your topic was closed because you were trying to be funny, failed, and it was just poorly done. I am pretty sure we never said it was against the rules to have a Straight Smasher's thread."

His thread was closed because it was a cruel joke. No one ever said there couldn't be a Straight smasher's thead, and I'd like to point out that essentially, that is exactly what the Girl/Guy/Relationships thread is. So there really isn't a problem in that area.

I understand how you may feel conflicted, but please understand that this is more than just a thread to a lot of us. This is one of the only places some of us can be who we really are. Let our guard down, and just discuss our life issues with people who actually have been there and understand what we are going through. Thank you very much for taking this issue seriously.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
An idea that probably won't work out... why don't we just create a message board for gay smashers or something? X3 Since the moderators MIGHT eventually close this anyway, I mean CK could be for it now but could be convinced otherwise later on... O.o Meh maybe it was a bad idea... it seemed like an okay idea though. ^^;

It's just that... (keep in mind I didn't read much since my last post. ^^; ) being in a minority kinda sux... in a lot of ways... having a place where I can talk to others at least a little like me is really nice. It's not the same talking to a group of straight people about being gay, and it's interesting reading other people's ideas and experiences. ^^;

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Secondly, welcome to SWF and the thread. But, don't double, triple or quadruple post. You'll get in trouble.[/QUOTE]

Oh thanks for the info. Im not lookin for trouble.

Astronaut Bean

Smash Rookie
Whenever I play games, I never think about one's sexuality. But when you actually think about the person you're playing it with, then you start to wonder...

I'm not gay [at least to my knowledge] but it'll be cool to know that all kinds of different people play Smash Bros.

:]

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
Sigh. Even my grandmother knows what WoW is. D= It's an online roleplaying game without much roleplaying. You mainly beat the hell out of stuff. And get purples.

Dungeons and Dragons is a roleplaying game where you roll dice.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Wow lots of development recently...

From what I'm reading so far, people like Toecutter are insinuating that this topic is controversial because we're forming a form of reverse discrimination against gays by striving for moral support and equal rights, and in the end we end up not helping anyone because we're further highlighting the differences between hetero and homosexual people.

Well, **** them. I don't see Toecutter being opressed by gay people, are they looking down upon him because he's not a homosexual? No, clearly not, but he has to form a wonderful thread about how straight people need to talk about their problems, doing a cruel parody designed to both mock and ridicule this thread. What he doesn't realize is that he's toying with already fraught emotions, desperate people who don't have anyone tangible to turn to at times, and can only seek solace in others over the internet, others who share a common interest. (in this case, smash).

To close the thread merely because it's being hatefully commentated on is absurd. If you always cater to the majority, then the minorities suffer immensely. People are uneducated, people can't empathize, and most can't even sympathize. To the few that can, I encourage you to keep this thread open, even if it involves more stringent moderation and intervention when things get out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom