• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Somebody else disagreed with the stereotyping, you defended the post, and I disagreed with you.
Okay, I'm sure what CK meant by his statement was "Some homophobes really have no problem killing you if you go too far, in their mind." Which is a pretty accurate statement that I think everyone can agree with. I believe CK meant this because no sane or decent individual would actually believe that someone who hates gays mean that he'd kill a gay person, or would be more prone to murder at all. I mean, seriously..."That guy make an off-color remark about homosexuals! Get down! He probably has a gun and needs to feed his bloodlust by killing some queers!"

Anyways... I can't qualify CK's statement because I'm not CK, but to wrap this up, there's no way he meant homophobes = murders, even if technically, that's what he said.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Okay, I'm sure what CK meant by his statement was "Some homophobes really have no problem killing you if you go too far, in their mind." Which is a pretty accurate statement that I think everyone can agree with. I believe CK meant this because no sane or decent individual would actually believe that someone who hates gays mean that he'd kill a gay person, or would be more prone to murder at all. I mean, seriously..."That guy make an off-color remark about homosexuals! Get down! He probably has a gun and needs to feed his bloodlust by killing some queers!"

Anyways... I can't qualify CK's statement because I'm not CK, but to wrap this up, there's no way he meant homophobes = murders, even if technically, that's what he said.
He probably didn't mean it that way, which is why my point is more to be careful about wording.

Just to avoid any other misunderstands.

For example, one of my friends noticed a sign that said "opposing heterosexuality". He suggested they meant "hetronormativity", which is probably correct, but bad wording like that furthers bad impressions.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
There will always be hate as there will always be love. It would be much easier to get marrige, toleration, and split.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Sad is the day that we find homosexuals arguing about how homophobes act.
I didn't see the point in the argument either. I know how homophobes act for the most part and they won't kill you, they'll just tell you one of three things:
1. You're a sinner and that God will punish you.
2. You're a disgrace to nature.
3. You're mentally ill and should seek a cure for your disease.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sad is the day that we find homosexuals arguing about how homophobes act.
Huh?

I just dropped by because I'm a supporter of GLBT rights and I felt like making a comment, I'm not gay.

*sigh*

That's part of the problem, everyone assumes that if you're a guy, you have to be gay to be an avid supporter of GLBT rights.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Spread the love, guys. Sheesh.
Jeez, y'all act like we had a vicious knife battle in the Circle of Death. It wasn't that big of a deal. Oh wells.

No it's not. He said that gay people think that only gay people can support GLBT.
Well, I think he meant what you said. He just worded it weirdly. Either way, it kind of sucks for straight supporters if you get hassled for supporting gay rights. Though, I have plenty of straight friends who openly support gay people, and the only people who would give them crap for it (which is a very small amount) are, well, really dumb, misinformed people we wouldn't even waste our time with.

Rock Man X

Maverick Hunter
All this talk of supporters reminds me of my GLBT club thingy that we had when I was back in high school. It was led by one of our counselors (who was a lesbian, and she was awesome) and one of my friends whom I sat next to in my Trig class. There were weekly meetings, and I went to a few of them. There were about 10-12 of us gay guys, about 3 lesbian chicks, and a small handful of supporters. Can't quite remember how many there were, but if I had to guess I'd say about 3. But they were all female.

Now being up in Redmond for college, there's a lot bigger of a GLBT community up here, and pretty much all my friends outside of school are gay or bi. The ones that aren't are supporters. But the supporters are all female as well... So what I'm saying is that I have never met one straight guy who was a supporter. I mean, I KNOW they exist of course, but I dunno... Is it more common for females to be supporters than males? Or am I just missing all the male supporters out there? =P

Oh... and a funny thing occured to me the other day. So, my roommate is the only person at school whom I've told I was gay. I have not told aaaanyone else, because honestly I don't know how any of them would react, even after knowing them for 3 years being in school. But APPARENTLY my friends at school know. My friend Kyle made a comment about how he liked to make guys feel uncomfortable by touching them and making suggestive noises (it's really funny XD), and to comment about it he said, "Man, Sal... I act more gay than YOU sometimes!" It caught me completely off guard, but I wasn't scared or anything because well... I know Kyle, he's cool. So he knows... and I know Kevin, my roommate, would never tell anyone.

So it's got me wondering if I come off as gay, or act gay, or whatever, to make people think/know that I AM gay. Come to think of it, I'm sure that if Kyle of all people could figure it out, then John, (other) John, Josh, and Stephen all have figured it out as well. I wonder why they have never mentioned it? It's not like I try to hide it, but I don't think I ACT gay. I do have a HRC bumper sticker on my car though.... LOL.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
To correct earlier:

Of course I didn't mean ALL homophobes would murder you, but I do know quite a few who if they were hit on seriously enough would beat up the gay person and probably not stop until they felt like a man.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What the... the ad I just got for viewing this page was "Realjock.com - Fitness for gay men". I guess the forum searches for keywords in threads to find the most appropriate ads? Or it's just random?

Rock Man X

Maverick Hunter
What the... the ad I just got for viewing this page was "Realjock.com - Fitness for gay men". I guess the forum searches for keywords in threads to find the most appropriate ads? Or it's just random?
Yes, it does. It has to because you'll only get gay ads in this thread, and no where else. =P Someone else mentioned this quite a few pages back as well.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
So it's got me wondering if I come off as gay, or act gay, or whatever, to make people think/know that I AM gay. Come to think of it, I'm sure that if Kyle of all people could figure it out, then John, (other) John, Josh, and Stephen all have figured it out as well. I wonder why they have never mentioned it? It's not like I try to hide it, but I don't think I ACT gay. I do have a HRC bumper sticker on my car though.... LOL.
Yeah, there is. I know why, because I tried for the longest time to figure out what it was that spurred the suspicions. Then one day it dawned on me; it was what I wasn't doing. I never talked about sex in front of other guys. Trust me, my mannerisms and way of speaking are that of any regular joe, but it was he fact that I never commented on the girls that walked by that was most telling. And I'm not trying to stereotype (I comment on a hot guy whenever I see one) but guy friends talk to each other about these subjects. When you don't they'll first ask what type of girl you like, then how many girlfriends you had, then how many times you had sex and so on and so forth. And if you don't have answers to all the questions and a fictional anecdote to go with them, it'll come out like that scene from The 40 Year-Old Virgin.

And so ends diabetic_yoshi's tip of the day for Passing as Straight. To purchase the full course send $75 via money order to the address at the bottom of your screen. :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No it's not. He said that gay people think that only gay people can support GLBT.
No, I said "everyone", not "everyone in this thread", or "everyone who is gay", just "everyone".

everyone assumes that if you're a guy, you have to be gay to be an avid supporter of GLBT rights.
See? It doesn't specify sexual orientation, the context might make one believe that I'm only referring to homosexuals, but it's not what I actually said.

It's generally more of a problem when straight people assume regardless, because they're more likely to be discriminatory because of it, or for girls that I'm interested in, not catch hints if they know I'm a GLBT supporter. On an overall level, it allows for marginalization of the GLBT cause.

But the assumption of the gay community feeds into this issue.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Fixed it for you.
And yeah, I get pissed at those guys too.
Ever notice that 95% of homophobes are Catholic?
Are you sure about that?

Raw numbers make that extremely unlikely, at least in the US. Evengelicals of various sects outnumber Catholics, and all evengelical churches espouse homophobia, whereas Catholicism condemns it.

Granted there are plenty of Catholics that ignor this fact, but it's certainly not enough to make Catholics consistute the majority of homophobes.

Lastly, a source: http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Are you sure about that?

Raw numbers make that extremely unlikely, at least in the US. Evengelicals of various sects outnumber Catholics, and all evengelical churches espouse homophobia, whereas Catholicism condemns it.

Granted there are plenty of Catholics that ignor this fact, but it's certainly not enough to make Catholics consistute the majority of homophobes.

Lastly, a source: http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html
Eh, I was being dramatic, but a great deal of the people who say that I'm not a girl trapped in a boy's body, I'm just a really confused and sick young man, are Catholic or some sort of Christian. Hence my distaste towards Christianity in general. Modern Christianity is so riddled with hypocrisy it's just disgusting.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Nah, the most conservative of Christians are definitely not the Catholics, you're looking for some small protestant churches from the local areas.
I agree I dislike organized religion myself, but don't make the same mistake they do, Lobelia.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Eh, I was being dramatic, but a great deal of the people who say that I'm not a girl trapped in a boy's body, I'm just a really confused and sick young man, are Catholic or some sort of Christian. Hence my distaste towards Christianity in general. Modern Christianity is so riddled with hypocrisy it's just disgusting.
A lot of modern Christians are riddled with hypocrosy, when you say "Christianity" you are making an unfair generalization.

Equating Catholics with Christians in general, or stating that any Christian group is indicative of Christians in general, or that the average Christian is indicative of any particular Christian group is also an unfair generalization.

Case by case basis, that's all I ask.

But, I do agree with the sentiment, a lot of Christians are very hypocritical in this day and age, a very sad commentary considering Christianity's origins, especially it's founder.

But it's especially annoying when Catholics are homophobes because the hierarchy has officially decried it as contrary to God's law.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
A lot of modern Christians are riddled with hypocrosy, when you say "Christianity" you are making an unfair generalization.

Equating Catholics with Christians in general, or stating that any Christian group is indicative of Christians in general, or that the average Christian is indicative of any particular Christian group is also an unfair generalization.

Case by case basis, that's all I ask.

But, I do agree with the sentiment, a lot of Christians are very hypocritical in this day and age, a very sad commentary considering Christianity's origins, especially it's founder.

But it's especially annoying when Catholics are homophobes because the hierarchy has officially decried it as contrary to God's law.
As if you know what Christians believe. You're the devil!
*points to post count*
Nah, but seriously, yeah, you're right. That's my bad, dude.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Well now that that's passed, anyone have any nice stories to share? Preferably ones that won't spark up debate that a lot of us don't really want any part of (no offense whatsoever to those debating: more power to you).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
As if you know what Christians believe. You're the devil!
*points to post count*
Lol, the devil knows more then anybody except God about what Christians believe. That's why he's so good at what he does.

Yeah, it's funny, but I really don't believe in numerology, great for making allusions, but it's just another superstition if you believe it actually has an effect on the universe.

Nah, but seriously, yeah, you're right. That's my bad, dude.
No problem, you have good reason to be angry and angry people tend to make overreaching generalizations. As long as you're directing it to the right people in the right degrees then more power to you.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Well now that that's passed, anyone have any nice stories to share? Preferably ones that won't spark up debate that a lot of us don't really want any part of (no offense whatsoever to those debating: more power to you).
Unfortunately no... not for me anyway... life is still boring. =/ Wish I could change the topic but I can't. ^^;

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My boyfriend and I are taking a big step in our relationship. We're planning on buying a PS3 this summer. HALFSIES, MAN.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
My boyfriend and I are taking a big step in our relationship. We're planning on buying a PS3 this summer. HALFSIES, MAN.
Woah, man. Take a step back and look at what you're doing. This is a big decision that is going to affect the rest of your life. Are you sure you are willing enough to commit to this, stick with it through and through? Are willing to face all the obstacles and emotions that will come with such a thing? Are you willing to accept some things aren't meant to be and you just can't force them? Do you understand the ridicule and prejudice that will happen when you go forward with this? Huh? Huh?

:chuckle:
Nah, that's cool man. I'm thinking of getting a 360 myself. Don't want a PS3 yet (at least until Tekken 6 comes out...)

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
haha im far from being a homophobe...and im catholic.

i dry hump the **** out of guys all the time.

its called dominance. lol

ok ill stop

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
So, today is this year's Day of Silence. For those who don't know, it's a LGBT rights activism day for recognizing harassment towards gay, lesbian, etc. young people and is a peaceful effort to show others what we are fighting to resolve.

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

There's all you need to know. Lance Bass explains it better than I can, heh.

I can't participate in this becaue, well, I work and just kind of have things to do now, but I tried doing this in high school. Has anyone ever done this in their schools or is planning on doing this today? I'm not usually into the whole activism, protest, etc. sort of stuff, but I think this is kind of neat and can be successful to open up some minds at a high school level. *waves miniature rainbow flag*

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
So, today is this year's Day of Silence. For those who don't know, it's a LGBT rights activism day for recognizing harassment towards gay, lesbian, etc. young people and is a peaceful effort to show others what we are fighting to resolve.

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

There's all you need to know. Lance Bass explains it better than I can, heh.

I can't participate in this becaue, well, I work and just kind of have things to do now, but I tried doing this in high school. Has anyone ever done this in their schools or is planning on doing this today? I'm not usually into the whole activism, protest, etc. sort of stuff, but I think this is kind of neat and can be successful to open up some minds at a high school level. *waves miniature rainbow flag*
I don't think I can go a day without talking. I'm a little too chatty for that, and besides, I live with a homophobic landlord who would tell me that the fact that I recognize gays as human beings is an 'unhealthy interest.'

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Funny that that's today. This is the only day of the week I have time to record my voice-overs for a video project in my media class. :) Plus, why limit yourself to one day a year to defend yourself against harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom