• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level-5 Discussion

amageish

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I sincerely hope this account is legit. Seems to be reformation of L5 abby.
The Twitter account seems to have gone down overnight, which is probably a sign it was fake.

The website it linked to is still up, but it's weirdly small and kind of vague.

1649530525157.png

Listing Little Battlers Experience and Snack World as their tentpole franchises is kind of odd, as is them claiming that the games (including Yo-Kai watch) are "debuting before western audiences" as if they haven't already had official western releases before.

Apparently the website they linked to is the official website and it just hasn't been updated in so long that the games it lists as "upcoming" have been out for years. I think that cements the account as fake, as it'd be weird to relaunch your social media while not changing your website at all.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Level 5 have announced that mystery journey and lost future’s ost’s are now on iTunes. I’m trying to spread the news as wide as I can lol since it’s only posted through the Japanese Layton page and nowhere else lol.

least we’ve got some Layton news for now. I’m assuming the others will eventually drop, just not for a while currently.

https://twitter.com/l5_layton/status/1516614426077843464?s=21&t=rT184E_NEhN2c9p0Xx2wAQ

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level 5 have announced that mystery journey and lost future’s ost’s are now on iTunes. I’m trying to spread the news as wide as I can lol since it’s only posted through the Japanese Layton page and nowhere else lol.

least we’ve got some Layton news for now. I’m assuming the others will eventually drop, just not for a while currently.

https://twitter.com/l5_layton/status/1516614426077843464?s=21&t=rT184E_NEhN2c9p0Xx2wAQ
lost future? I’m onboard

Theguy123

Smash Lord
lost future? I’m onboard
goated ost. Amazes me it’s taken this long. I still don’t understand why it’s taken this long or why they took down Pandora’s box and made it Japan exclusive.

I’m gonna go to the shop later and pick up an iTunes voucher just so I don’t miss out on getting them because knowing level 5 they’ll take them down at some point probably.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well seeing as the 3ds eshop is closing next year i thought id ask if anyones played attack of the friday night monsters?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Does Anyone find it interesting and suspicious that they remastered the ds lost future box artwork to promote lost future’s ost coming to different platforms. They didn’t use HD artwork from the mobile game. They specifically went out the way to remake the ds Lost future box art.

Curious lol village used the HD box art image that was used to promote CV on the mobile to promote its ost being on different platforms

Pandora’s box used the in game mobile title screen to promote Pandora’s box ost being on different platforms

lost future however went completely out the way and remade the Lost future ds box art. It’s new because the lighting and shading is completely done and the colour is more brighter. They didn’t take it from any promotional material for the HD mobile game. It’s completely remade.

I find it interesting how only Lost future has this. It’s probably nothing but it’s worth pointing out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Does Anyone find it interesting and suspicious that they remastered the ds lost future box artwork to promote lost future’s ost coming to different platforms. They didn’t use HD artwork from the mobile game. They specifically went out the way to remake the ds Lost future box art.

Curious lol village used the HD box art image that was used to promote CV on the mobile to promote its ost being on different platforms

Pandora’s box used the in game mobile title screen to promote Pandora’s box ost being on different platforms

lost future however went completely out the way and remade the Lost future ds box art. It’s new because the lighting and shading is completely done and the colour is more brighter. They didn’t take it from any promotional material for the HD mobile game. It’s completely remade.

I find it interesting how only Lost future has this. It’s probably nothing but it’s worth pointing out.
probably more of a tweak that out right completely new

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The art competition finally concluded and the winners are announced. There was a lot of cool submissions there so definitely worth checking out.

Also all the HD Layton games ported to mobile are now also available on Google Play Pass. Hopefully we'll be seeing Last Specter eventually too.

Speaking of interesting, I forgot to talk about this a while back, but when L5 released the 15th anniversary artwork, Takuzo Nagano commented on how every character in that artwork except Flora was drawn by different artists in the team, citing that she's the only character that stay's with him as he feels that he's the only one that can get her design right. While every other character in the series will be handled by other artists at Level-5 in the future.

Perhaps looking a tad too much into it and it could just be for any other future promotional stuff like the anniversary artwork. But its nice to have some (albeit indirect) assurance that Level-5 will likely still continue to do more with the Layton series and characters in the future.

Also kinda cute hearing how Takuzo is seemingly so protective for the one character in the series that the rest of L5 frankly never gave much attention or care for after the first game...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The art competition finally concluded and the winners are announced. There was a lot of cool submissions there so definitely worth checking out.

Also all the HD Layton games ported to mobile are now also available on Google Play Pass. Hopefully we'll be seeing Last Specter eventually too.

Speaking of interesting, I forgot to talk about this a while back, but when L5 released the 15th anniversary artwork, Takuzo Nagano commented on how every character in that artwork except Flora was drawn by different artists in the team, citing that she's the only character that stay's with him as he feels that he's the only one that can get her design right. While every other character in the series will be handled by other artists at Level-5 in the future.

Perhaps looking a tad too much into it and it could just be for any other future promotional stuff like the anniversary artwork. But its nice to have some (albeit indirect) assurance that Level-5 will likely still continue to do more with the series and characters in the future.

Also kinda cute hearing how Takuzo is seemingly so protective for the one character in the series that the rest of L5 frankly never gave much attention or care for after the first game...
Hmmm, interesting. I could definitely see a game being in the works. I swear someone on Reddit the other day posted a Japanese interview from late 2020 with hino saying he’d like to do a sequel to MJ that starts Layton and his daughter down the line at some point. Wether he still has that idea right now who knows but with the Twitter accounts being active still the franchise is definitely still alive

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmmm, interesting. I could definitely see a game being in the works. I swear someone on Reddit the other day posted a Japanese interview from late 2020 with hino saying he’d like to do a sequel to MJ that starts Layton and his daughter down the line at some point. Wether he still has that idea right now who knows but with the Twitter accounts being active still the franchise is definitely still alive
I mean, bringing Hershel and Luke back would probably be the best option for them after how Kat kinda put the series under a stand still, and the constant rereleases of LMJ shows L5 isn't ready to give up on her so its probably for the best to bring the two together in a game at this point.

Most likely adapting the Relic Stone arc from the anime into a proper game I suppose.
I think that was always the plan considering how Layton and Luke randomly suddenly get all the relic stones from one episode to another, implying that was meant to be filled in by a game, probably through a similar fetch quest as the Azran Eggs...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, brining Hershel and Luke back would probably be the best option for them after how Kat kinda put the series under a stand still, and the constant rereleases of LMJ shows L5 isn't ready to give up on her so its probably for the best to bring the two tegether in a game at this point.

Most likely adapting the Relic Stone arc from the anime into a proper game I suppose.
I think that was always the plan considering how Layton and Luke randomly suddenly get all the relic stones from one episode to another, implying that was meant to be filled in by a game, probably through a similar fetch quest as the Azran Eggs...
so long as it’s not episodic and we have some mysteries that last a few chapters

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
so long as it’s not episodic and we have some mysteries that last a few chapters
I was personally never really a fan of the episodic cases/find the 5 McGuffin's fetch quests they've been doing in more recent games.
I wouldn't mind them if they where optional side quests, which I think would work quite well for the Layton series, especially in this current era of updates and DLC's.

But as a mandatory thing to move the plot along, it kind of slows down the pacing of the games while Layton & co are doing something else unrelated to the main plot, like getting some glasses for some tribesman or something...

So if they where to ever make a new game for the series, hopefully they'd make that sort of thing at least optional..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was personally never really a fan of the episodic cases/find the 5 McGuffin's fetch quests they've been doing in more recent games.
I wouldn't mind them if they where optional side quests, which I think would work quite well for the Layton series, especially in this current era of updates and DLC's.

But as a mandatory thing to move the plot along, it kind of slows down the pacing of the games while Layton & co are doing something else unrelated to the main plot, like getting some glasses for some tribesman or something...

So if they where to ever make a new game for the series, hopefully they'd make that sort of thing at least optional..
yes those asides in azran legacy were a bit odd in retrospect

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Anyone that criticized Snack World for not being a Fantasy Life 2 owes that game an apology now that Fantasy Life 2 is a thing.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I wonder if the new Layton will be a followup to the anime or if it'll pretend the anime doesn't exist?
Couldn't say.

Recent Level-5 anime generally seems to be its own seperate timeline and story from the actual games. Yo-Kai Watch anime is its own brand of chaos and humor from the games and the Snack World anime played into alot of jokes of the party being bumbling morons compared to being more helpful in the games.

No comment on Megaton Musashi tho. Love the anime but haven't played or watched much gameplay.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder if the new Layton will be a followup to the anime or if it'll pretend the anime doesn't exist?
I don't know if its a follow up from the anime or if it will pretend the entire LMJ saga never happened considering how poorly received it was, guess only time will tell, hopefully we get more info soon.

Eitherway, I'm very hyped that is Layton is back again!

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
From what ive seen of Megaton Musashi the game just uses the plot of the anime, so if that one doesnt get localized i could probably just use my knowledge of the anime's plot to figure out what to do and just import the game.

The Layton anime just sort of picked up from where the last game ended off and ended with Kat reuniting with Hershell, so i wonder if Kat will be in the game at all, since Layton games are usually in their own little bubbles i wouldn't expect her to get major focus but an in-passing reference is good with me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
LAYTONCHADS WE HECKIN' WON
I'm really glad to see you're still around Curious Villager Curious Villager
I had to log in again for the first time in nearly 3 years just so I could see your reaction!
I'm really excited that he's finally back, and as the main star too.

I don't know what this could mean for his hypothetical chances for the next Smash, but right now I don't care.

The series is back and from the little looks of it, it seems very promising so far, and I couldn't be happier.

Here's hoping we see some familiar faces like Emmy and Flora make a return too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if its a follow up from the anime or if it will pretend the entire LMJ saga never happened considering how poorly received it was, guess only time will tell, hopefully we get more info soon.

Eitherway, I'm very hyped that is Layton is back again!
I had a funny feeling we’d see you

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
No indication of multiplayer. Disclaimer in the description that the game is very much a work in progress. Hope it comes out smooth as silk with time.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh so the game takes place inside of the 25 year time skip between Unwound and mystery journey.

k.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if they're taking a back to basics approach with world of steam. granted there's very little to go on right now but isn't that what they always do with game franchises?

i'm also looking forward to the story. layton games always have good stories

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Came back to this thread to say that I'm very happy about the announcement of the new Layton game. Especially cool to see Professor Layton return as the main protagonist. It was the highlight of yesterday's Direct for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i wonder if they're taking a back to basics approach with world of steam. granted there's very little to go on right now but isn't that what they always do with game franchises?

i'm also looking forward to the story. layton games always have good stories
I don't know, depends what their planning to do for this one. Especially after the huge failure that was LMJ.
But on the other hand, now that Akira Tago is no longer around, can they really fully retreat to the old formula of the earlier games? (Not to mention accounting for a console with a single screen that can also be played docket)

Unless they found someone better than the last guy that did LMJ's puzzles they might try something new.

Though at the same time, they might still want to keep things a bit familiar, especially after the huge departure that was LMJ's cast, which is probably why they brought Hershel and Luke back despite them saying that they where done with them a decade ago. So perhaps we might see some more familiar faces again to ease old fans in with whatever they may try next.

I know the teaser we saw wasn't actual gameplay footage, but perhaps this time we may be able to fully control Layton in a full 3D environment, maybe even do some real time puzzle solving as well, think Breath of the Wild's Sheikah shrine puzzles but throughout the whole overworld instead in some set contained rooms.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know, depends what their planning to do for this one. Especially after the huge failure that was LMJ.
But on the other hand, now that Akira Tago is no longer around, can they really fully retreat to the old formula of the earlier games? (Not to mention accounting for a console with a single screen that can also be played docket)

Unless they found someone better than the last guy that did LMJ's puzzles they might try something new.

Though at the same time, they might still want to keep things a bit familiar, especially after the huge departure that was LMJ's cast, which is probably why they brought Hershel and Luke back despite them saying that they where done with them a decade ago. So perhaps we might see some more familiar faces again to ease old fans in with whatever they may try next.

I know the teaser we saw wasn't actual gameplay footage, but perhaps this time we may be able to fully control Layton in a full 3D environment, maybe even do some real time puzzle solving as well, think Breath of the Wild's Sheikah shrine puzzles but throughout the whole overworld instead in some set contained rooms.
an open world Layton game is certainly not an idea that crossed my mind

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, I don't want to get expectations too high, but it kind of feels like their hinting at some sort of open world puzzle adventure game. Considering the teaser trailer, official artworks and even the game's title emphasizing the World of Steam itself around Layton.

So it might potentially be freeroam and explorable.

It would explain the very long dev time.

But I guess only time will tell..

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Capcom considered that game more important than Investigations 2 in their 20th anniversary celebrations for Ace Attorney so it's still in the minds of Capcom staff, the only thing holding a port of this game back is if the two companies can get on board with it.

Also world of steam? Totally the first game that weve ever got that happens during the 7 year gap of time where Phoenix wasn't a lawyer lol

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Apparently Layton was trending in a few particular European territories on Twitter, even above Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Particularly in Spain (A shame of Layton's voice actor there having passed away though)

I'm so happy that the announcement of the new game brought back a lot of fans out of the woodworks. Here's hoping the game does well once it finally comes out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom