• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level-5 Discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Apparently Layton was trending in a few particular European territories on Twitter, even above Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Particularly in Spain (A shame of Layton's voice actor there having passed away though)

I'm so happy that the announcement of the new game brought back a lot of fans out of the woodworks. Here's hoping the game does well once it finally comes out.
same. i really hope this has a revival. i also hope yo-kai watch has a revival but i don't see that happening. but it is good to see level-5 swinging back up.

btw what does everyone make of this decapolice thing?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
same. i really hope this has a revival. i also hope yo-kai watch has a revival but i don't see that happening. but it is good to see level-5 swinging back up.

btw what does everyone make of this decapolice thing?
Hopefully its a quick warm up and we get a confirmation of a localization of YW4, Inazuma eleven and Megaton Musashi etc soon too.

I guess their mainly focusing on Layton and Fantasy Life since they have a bit more of a pull in the west, especially the former, and can help them get their stuff back on its feet again there.

As for Deca Police, it looks pretty interesting, its funny that I instantly figured it was a Level-5 game before they officially confirmed that it was developed by them.
Level-5 just has that distinct recognizable art style for their games, when you know it, you know it.

I'll wait to see more info, but it looks pretty interesting so far.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's your next Smash DLC fighter bro

Didn't realize how much Layton's trailer looked like a Smash reveal trailer, down to the "not actual gameplay footage" text haha. Coulda easily fooled me if Smash DLC was still an ongoing thing.
Also forgot how much I miss seeing these Smash reveal trailers..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's your next Smash DLC fighter bro

Didn't realize how much Layton's trailer looked like a Smash reveal trailer, down to the "not actual gameplay footage" text haha. Coulda easily fooled me if Smash DLC was still an ongoing thing.
Also forgot how much I miss seeing these Smash reveal trailers..
yeah that would have been quite a reveal trailer. still things are looking up for the series so maybe we'll all be more hopeful next time

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’ve been gone in like forever because I forgot this place existed but

We won!!!!!!

Edit: where do you guys think this will take place in the timeline. I’m guessing it’ll take place after lost future.

my theory is that we’ll get a new trilogy with the 3rd game connecting the dots to the katriella anime and by the end of the 3rd we’ll see a teenage Luke and Professor heading off to solve that mystery from the anime if that’s possible

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think its very likely to take place after Lost Future and before Layton adopts Katrielle (and probably Alfendi)
Most likely finally addressing the letter Luke send Layton at the end of Lost Future.

Mainly because of Luke's design, looking a bit older than he did during the original trilogy, but younger than how he was portrayed in the anime when Layton adopted Kat.

It seems to make the most sense, unless its some kind of alternate universe/ soft reboot type of thing.

If they address that letter, I wonder if they'll do the same for Emmy's letter at some point, then again her letter might be a little debatable on how canon it is since it wasn't really send to Layton in game but in outside media that might be a little obscure for most people..

But yeah lets speculate about the game a bit, the plot, any returning characters, potential gameplay changes etc. We're in uncharted territory right now so lets make the most of it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i noticed a mechanical elephant in the trailer pulling some kind of carriage. i have a feeling we'll be solving puzzles when it breaks down

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Quite a long post on my thoughts so here we go

Was thinking about what I wish for in the new Layton game and I think the only thing I want them to keep, or rather expand on from the katriella game is probably just the longer length of time it takes to beat the game

I believe it’s about 18 hours long which is the longest layton game in the series. I want them to take the katriella Layton games story length and make it longer to something like 25-30 hours

layton games are always unique in their storytelling, even the weaker games but Layton has the potential to be really unique and take It further

outside of that I hope they go with the more traditional layton style of games in terms of how it plays out but maybe also try and implicate the 3D platformer sections from the Layton backstory in miracle mask into the game somehow

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Quite a long post on my thoughts so here we go

Was thinking about what I wish for in the new Layton game and I think the only thing I want them to keep, or rather expand on from the katriella game is probably just the longer length of time it takes to beat the game

I believe it’s about 18 hours long which is the longest layton game in the series. I want them to take the katriella Layton games story length and make it longer to something like 25-30 hours

layton games are always unique in their storytelling, even the weaker games but Layton has the potential to be really unique and take It further

outside of that I hope they go with the more traditional layton style of games in terms of how it plays out but maybe also try and implicate the 3D platformer sections from the Layton backstory in miracle mask into the game somehow
well bare in mind millionaire’s conspiracy was originally episodic so that probably why the length was a bit longer

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A Longer length would be interesting to see, especially since we're dealing with much bigger hardware now than previously with the DS family, Level-5 likes to do their little sideplots since Azran Legacy and LMJ, though their main issue was that they where kinda forced within the main storyline which dragged things out a bit.

I think what they could do is have one long overarching main plot, while having a bunch of optional smaller side cases you can do on the side, I think that can help expand the game's longevity while also not forcing the player into some irrelevant detour that doesn't really add much to the main plot their working through.

Perhaps maybe even do something like Pokemon Scarlet and Violet and have three big cases you can play through and solve this time, maybe one in regards to whoever the main baddie is, one in regards to the town itself, and one involving some past character or McGuffin maybe.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
been thinking about the release date. When do you’s think the game will release. Do you’s think a late 2023 or do you’s reckon 2024.

Also do you’s think they should keep the E10 rating or do you think they should stick with the pegi 12 that they went with for the crossover

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
been thinking about the release date. When do you’s think the game will release. Do you’s think a late 2023 or do you’s reckon 2024.

Also do you’s think they should keep the E10 rating or do you think they should stick with the pegi 12 that they went with for the crossover
the higher age rating in the crossover was cause of the murder which was bit more graphic than usual

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm going to be bold and say a lot sooner than folks might think. L5's gotten better with the worldwide releases of the Layton games and we already have an English title for the game when historically it used to take quite sometime for the western names to come out.

I'd say probably either a Christmas holiday release this year or next year.

I don't think they should hold it any longer either since the Switch will be 6 years old very soon and who knows when Ninty will release their next console.

The last thing L5 needs is to end up with another Yo-Kai Watch 3 and release the game on a dead system no one cares about anymore, unless they also plan to release it on said new system...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm going to be bold and say a lot sooner than folks might think. L5's gotten better with the worldwide releases of the Layton games and we already have an English title for the game when historically it used to take quite sometime for the western names to come out.

I'd say probably either a Christmas holiday release this year or next year.

I don't think they should hold it any longer either since the Switch will be 6 years old very soon and who knows when Ninty will release their next console.

The last thing L5 needs is to end up with another Yo-Kai Watch 3 and release the game on a dead system no one cares about anymore, unless they also plan to release it on said new system...
which is a shame cause 3 was the best one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought we already knew that but hey, nice little mind refresher.

Also who else have been watching reaction vids of people getting hyped for Layton's reveal and Level-5's return?

I never knew the Layton series meant that much to RogersBase.
But I agree, they got off a great start, here's hoping Level-5 can keep the momentum going as well as work with Nintendo to give the game (as well as the other two games revealed) the support and marketing push they need.

Don't do like what they did with the HD ports, please...

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I thought we already knew that but hey, nice little mind refresher.

Also who else have been watching reaction vids of people getting hyped for Layton's reveal and Level-5's return?

I never knew the Layton series meant that much to RogersBase.
But I agree, they got off a great start, here's hoping Level-5 can keep the momentum going as well as work with Nintendo to give the game (as well as the other two games revealed) the support and marketing push they need.

Don't do like what they did with the HD ports, please...
Think I’ve only seen 1 person mention it but when level 5 shut down in America, the Layton series was at 17 mill I think which means the series grew another 1 mill most likely from just mobile ports alone whilst they were shut down in America. Quite impressive

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Think I’ve only seen 1 person mention it but when level 5 shut down in America, the Layton series was at 17 mill I think which means the series grew another 1 mill most likely from just mobile ports alone whilst they were shut down in America. Quite impressive
I think Hino mentioned in another interview around new years that the series reached 18 million, but I suppose that was a rather obscure Japanese interview admittedly so its understandable that this is probably the first time most people found out the series reached 18 million.

Hopefully the series finally reaches 20 million once this game comes out...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Hino mentioned in another interview around new years that the series reached 18 million, but I suppose that was a rather obscure Japanese interview admittedly so its understandable that this is probably the first time most people found out the series reached 18 million.

layton is their best seller so I think it has a shot

if not we’ll have to do it ourselves

Theguy123

Smash Lord

with the amount of views the game received when announced (30k likes with 2.5 million views on the NoA account and 4 million on the Japanese Layton account) and the amount of people who instantly recognised Layton and were hyped straight away, I’d say this games on track to probably make 2-3 mill or more if I had to guess

I don’t think people realise how popular layton is. He’s an icon to the ds era and his announcement got him trending on Twitter ahead of Zelda tears of the kingdom. Almost every reaction you watch from that Nintendo direct has everyone instantly recognising layton and then getting hyped for him

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
with the amount of views the game received when announced (30k likes with 2.5 million views on the NoA account and 4 million on the Japanese Layton account) and the amount of people who instantly recognised Layton and were hyped straight away, I’d say this games on track to probably make 2-3 mill or more if I had to guess

I don’t think people realise how popular layton is. He’s an icon to the ds era and his announcement got him trending on Twitter ahead of Zelda tears of the kingdom. Almost every reaction you watch from that Nintendo direct has everyone instantly recognising layton and then getting hyped for him
That's true, it was incredibly smart of Level-5 to reveal the new game in a Nintendo Direct rather than one of their own things.

Get the most eyes and hype running from the get go.

I wonder if Nintendo might have been involved with the revival of the series. Apparently Layton and Fantasy Life are planned to release exclusively on Nintendo Switch while Deca Police is also releasing on other platforms.

If so, hopefully they give it the Bayoneta treatment, like the good old day's, and help support Level-5 in making the game succeed.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
That's true, it was incredibly smart of Level-5 to reveal the new game in a Nintendo Direct rather than one of their own things.

Get the most eyes and hype running from the get go.

I wonder if Nintendo might have been involved with the revival of the series. Apparently Layton and Fantasy Life are planned to release exclusively on Nintendo Switch while Deca Police is also releasing on other platforms.

If so, hopefully they give it the Bayoneta treatment, like the good old day's, and help support Level-5 in making the game succeed.
not to mention as well you could tell Nintendo knows how huge the layton series is From that direct alone. They didn’t shove it at the start and get it out the way and they didn’t just randomly show it half way through and go “ohh yeah a new Layton game is on the way”.

They saved it to be one of the last 3 reveals and had a dramatic pause for the game reveal to hype it up. They deffo know how huge the series is. The future looks good for us Layton fans.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
not to mention as well you could tell Nintendo knows how huge the layton series is From that direct alone. They didn’t shove it at the start and get it out the way and they didn’t just randomly show it half way through and go “ohh yeah a new Layton game is on the way”.

They saved it to be one of the last 3 reveals and had a dramatic pause for the game reveal to hype it up. They deffo know how huge the series is. The future looks good for us Layton fans.
You know your IP is a big deal when you're confident enough that a simple 20 second teaser of the main protagonist turning around and smiling at you warmly is enough to single handedly hype people up and revive a dormant fanbase from the ashes. :4pacman:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well with that all said, lets get the elephant in the room out of the way...

Literally...

This is Smashboards after all..

What do you think in regards to Layton's outlook in regards to Smash, not necessarily even in terms of chances for the next Smash, but also things like discussions, fan support, projects etc.

What can we expect in the future?

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Literally...

What do you think in regards to Layton's outlook in regards to Smash, not necessarily even in terms of chances for the next Smash, but also things like discussions, fan support, projects etc.

i’m still salty we didn’t even get spirits for the franchise. The heartbreak of thinking Layton had to be one of the characters in the fighter Passes because there wasn’t any spirits for him and then him not being in it was soo painful

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So, which Level 5 rep should be in Smash? Layton or Jibanyan?
Layton for several reasons. bias aside

he’s the face of level 5

he made level 5 known in europe

a cooler move-set to pull from (I think)

has more ties to Nintendo than yo Kai watch

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i’m still salty we didn’t even get spirits for the franchise. The heartbreak of thinking Layton had to be one of the characters in the fighter Passes because there wasn’t any spirits for him and then him not being in it was soo painful
Oof don't remind me, the fact L5 wasn't even acknowledged for :ulthero2: existence even outside of the game itself (Like Sakurai's Twitter or something), felt like a punch in the gut...

Hopefully if Nintendo is really reuniting with Level-5 to support their stuff again, that we'd at least see a spirit or whatever the next collectible mcguffin is, from them...

I mean, we've had precedent enough that we could really see both make it in the same game if Sakurai and Nintendo really wanted to, but personal bias aside,
I think Layton just has a more proven track record of global appeal to be prioritized first. Much like how we got Cloud first before Hero, since Final Fantasy carried more global appeal despite how worshipped Dragon Quest was in Japan.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Literally...

i imagine in the future support thread for him we'll all be feeling cautiously optimistic. there's no guarantees but i can't help but see this as a boon

both

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i imagine in the future support thread for him we'll all be feeling cautiously optimistic. there's no guarantees but i can't help but see this as a boon

both
I mean, I said before that I won't make another support thread and someone else can take over the mantle for next Smash.

But if his new game is proven to be a success and fully revitalises the series, I'll be sure to be there with you guy's rooting for him one last time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I said before that I won't make another support thread and someone else can take over the mantle for next Smash.

But if his new game is proven to be a success and fully revitalises the series, I'll be sure to be there with you guy's rooting for him one last time.
well l can do it along with toad and chibi

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 Vision announced for March 9th, we're back in business lads!

Top Bottom