• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level-5 Discussion

Theguy123

Smash Lord
This will be a good place to have for not only Layton games and level 5 games, but general level 5 content in future smash bros. We can make sure they stay popular no matter what their situation is and hopefully get content in smash bros 6

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What’s everyone expecting for the 15th anniversary. I’ll make a bold prediction, a safe prediction and a prediction that could happen but I see unlikely

Safe prediction- last spectre coming to mobile with the others following over the next few years along with the rest off the ost’s coming to mobile

bold prediction- the lady Layton anime comes to Europe. Only place that has it so far is Germany. Also a new game to be in the works. There were rumours that Layton 8 could be in development due to an advertisement in Japan

a prediction that could happen but probably won’t— curious village on the switch. I remember it apparently was meant to come to switch but it never happened. I assume it was canned because of L5’s situation

What do you all expect to get for the 15th anniversary

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah most likely we'd see Last Specter HD for mobile, but hopefully we will get a bit more for the series anniversary, even if not a new game, I'd love to see another anime season, especially if it adapts the original series.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
One of my friends has been theorizing that Level-5 is actually laying low in the West based on the Level-5 Abbey website still being up and running, Akihiro Hino being appointed CEO of the Abbeyand the recent release of official Professor Layton merch in English on Fangamer. It's certainly intriguing.

Personally, all I'd really like is the Switch and mobile ports of Yo-Kai Watch 1 in English or even Fantasy Life ported to Switch.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
One of my friends has been theorizing that Level-5 is actually laying low in the West based on the Level-5 Abbey website still being up and running, Akihiro Hino being appointed CEO of the Abbeyand the recent release of official Professor Layton merch in English on Fangamer. It's certainly intriguing.

Personally, all I'd really like is the Switch and mobile ports of Yo-Kai Watch 1 in English or even Fantasy Life ported to Switch.
oooooh interesting. Sounds like a good theory. I hope it’s true.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What’s everyone expecting for the 15th anniversary. I’ll make a bold prediction, a safe prediction and a prediction that could happen but I see unlikely

Safe prediction- last spectre coming to mobile with the others following over the next few years along with the rest off the ost’s coming to mobile

bold prediction- the lady Layton anime comes to Europe. Only place that has it so far is Germany. Also a new game to be in the works. There were rumours that Layton 8 could be in development due to an advertisement in Japan

a prediction that could happen but probably won’t— curious village on the switch. I remember it apparently was meant to come to switch but it never happened. I assume it was canned because of L5’s situation

What do you all expect to get for the 15th anniversary
specters call on mobile does seem most likely but I wouldn’t be surprised at a trilogy collection on switch

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I wish I could be as excited for Professor Layton or Inazuma Eleven as much as my friends are. They seem like cool series.

I tried Fantasy Life at a friend's recommendation and adore it.
I got Snack World especially after watching a ton of its hilarious anime in subbed form and love that game as well.
My curiosity of trying Yo-Kai Watch when it first came out in EN is what really got me hooked. Been super obsessed with that series ever since and haven't missed an EN release.
Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch I ended up playing later and love it.
I love the sequel as well despite it not being a monster collector.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wish I could be as excited for Professor Layton or Inazuma Eleven as much as my friends are. They seem like cool series.

I tried Fantasy Life at a friend's recommendation and adore it.
I got Snack World especially after watching a ton of its hilarious anime in subbed form and love that game as well.
My curiosity of trying Yo-Kai Watch when it first came out in EN is what really got me hooked. Been super obsessed with that series ever since and haven't missed an EN release.
Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch I ended up playing later and love it.
I love the sequel as well despite it not being a monster collector.
Was snack World any good? I completely dismissed it because it looked like a chinese knockoff Adventure Time

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Was snack World any good? I completely dismissed it because it looked like a chinese knockoff Adventure Time
I love it but I have my share of qualms with it.
For one, it's a victim of alot of censorship because the original JP version makes tons of sexual humor but that's part of why I adore the anime.
Second, it has a bit of an annoyance with clearing dungeon floors. Sometimes you'll have to clear the dungeon by finding a key to open the door to the next floor being held by a random enemy or by pushing 3 buttons scattered around a dungeon floor. It really makes the dungeons that are usually only 2 floors long last way longer than they need to by forcing exploration. Even Yo-Kai Watch 3's Busters T mode or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon just let you go to the next floor once you find the stairs instead of forcing you to explore a floor.
Thirdly, the game can feel really stingy about actually letting you level up. You'll spend a good amount of time level grinding.

I still can't help but adore the game despite any of that. If you like a dungeon crawler real time RPG with monster collecting, a superb character creator, a good sense of humor and challenging bosses, I recommend it.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Been meaning to create a thread like this with the imminent closure of the Newcomer Speculation boards, but this is good. Making it focused on a Level 5 as a whole and not just the Professor Layton series will definitely help in generating more activity in this thread.

Anyway, leaving a comment here just so I can get notifications about new posts in this thread. I am a huge Layton series fan after all!

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If anyone interested, someone did the math behind how many people were killed in Clive’s London attack in lost future on screen and it’s apparently between 6000-20,000 deaths

kinda cool that is. Wish the Layton series was wildly more known to the people in the world as I always see sephiroth talked about being a fantastic villain And then you’ve got someone like Clive from lost future who feels soo great as a villain.

source to the math is here https://www.reddit.com/r/ProfessorL...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
as I always see sephiroth talked about being a fantastic villain And then you’ve got someone like Clive from lost future who feels soo great as a villain.
Sephiroth is perfectly relevant in this thread too since he's a Yo-Kai Watch character lol.

Never actually played Final Fantasy but from what I understand about it poorly explained to me by an actual fan, his mommy issues and identity crisis and the meme of stabbing a girl are kinda vanilla as far as Yo-Kai Watch goes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sephiroth is perfectly relevant in this thread too since he's a Yo-Kai Watch character lol.

Never actually played Final Fantasy but from what I understand about it poorly explained to me by an actual fan, his mommy issues and identity crisis and the meme of stabbing a girl are kinda vanilla as far as Yo-Kai Watch goes.
And then there's his Kingdom hearts universe where he's simply the dark side of Cloud given physical form. Or at least that's what the dialogue implies and why Sora can't kill him even though he's able to beat him in a fight.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If anyone interested, someone did the math behind how many people were killed in Clive’s London attack in lost future on screen and it’s apparently between 6000-20,000 deaths

kinda cool that is. Wish the Layton series was wildly more known to the people in the world as I always see sephiroth talked about being a fantastic villain And then you’ve got someone like Clive from lost future who feels soo great as a villain.

source to the math is here https://www.reddit.com/r/ProfessorL...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
ah yes the applying real world logic to the video game world schtick. i dont recall if they even said anyone died during that

theres also the whole alien dna thing, controlling cloud and others, raising an entire town to the ground, and dropping a meteor on the planet

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Oh wait, Sephiroth was also in that one Yo-Kai Watch spin off game with Final Fantasy characters? Layton was also in that game right iirc?
Well in that case, I guess its nice that Layton sorta was in the same game as a character that was directly involved with Smash...

ah yes the applying real world logic to the video game world schtick. i dont recall if they even said anyone died during that
I mean, the thing blew an entire massive hole open from under ground and even showed it clearly crushing a bunch of buildings with lights still open, so unless Londoners where all coincidentally on a trip to a different city but conveniently forgot to leave the lights in their homes on. I'm pretty sure its fair to say that quite a fair number of people where killed during that rampage...

Its not like Azran Legacy where the characters at least had the time to tell the folks on Froenborg to evacuate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh wait, Sephiroth was also in that one Yo-Kai Watch spin off game with Final Fantasy characters? Layton was also in that game right iirc?
Well in that case, I guess its nice that Layton sorta was in the same game as a character that was directly involved with Smash...
They were indeed. They went nuts with licensing in that game

I mean, the thing blew an entire massive hole open from under ground and even showed it clearly crushing a bunch of buildings with lights still open, so unless Londoners where all coincidentally on a trip to a different city but conveniently forgot to leave the lights in their homes on. I'm pretty sure its fair to say that quite a fair number of people where killed during that rampage...

Its not like Azran Legacy where the characters at least had the time to tell the folks on Froenborg to evacuate.
alright we haven’t all played it as recently as you

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I wonder what else they licenced then.

I mean, you don't need to have played it recently (or at all..), a simple youtube search for the animated cutscenes will suffice..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
take a look at this https://yokaiwatch.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Crossover_Characters
Level-5 went nuts with everything from SE to universal
Well I guess it would be a given that Cloud would be there too if Sephiroth is.

For a moment I thought they meant the Disney one when I saw Aladdin listed there, I was like "what?!"

And even detective Conan is there? (even if a Yo-Kai version of it) that's still pretty cool to see that and Layton in the same game.

Oh wait, the actual Conan is there too, that's really cool.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Yokai watch and final fantasy have crossed over like 3 or 4 times already, i feel like that's party the reason Level 5 has Money Trouble with how expensive FF Is as a license lol
The Moogle in Yokai watch 3 has Sora's crown emblem instead of one of the 8 Yokai tribes for some reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yokai watch and final fantasy have crossed over like 3 or 4 times already, i feel like that's party the reason Level 5 has Money Trouble with how expensive FF Is as a license lol
The Moogle in Yokai watch 3 has Sora's crown emblem instead of one of the 8 Yokai tribes for some reason.
I know all that. Besides the most expensive license was probably the terminator

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You'd think they'd have an easier time collaborating considering their tight history together since the beginning pretty much. :ulthero2:

But then again, even Sakurai had to sell his kidney and his first born just to get some of their stuff in Smash...

I wonder how the two companies are doing nowadays. I do know that Level-5 was involved with the anniversary of one of the Dragon Quest games a year or two ago.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You'd think they'd have an easier time collaborating considering their tight history together since the beginning pretty much. :ulthero2:

But then again, even Sakurai had to sell his kidney and his first born just to get some of their stuff in Smash...

I wonder how the two companies are doing nowadays. I do know that Level-5 was involved with the anniversary of one of the Dragon Quest games a year or two ago.
i feel like the fact that they got 20 characters for such a low profile game would suggest that maybe its not as hard as people think

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I doubt money has much to do with it. Square and Level-5 kinda have history together ever since Dragon Quest 8. Where do you even get the idea they have money troubles anyway? Level-5 mobile games continue to top the charts for some of the highest grossing mobile games in Japan.

Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni had more Final Fantasy content for years than Smash has had only recently despite the fact Nintendo has more than enough money that they could have afforded just as much ages ago. I theorize Square charges Nintendo monumental amounts of extra.

i feel like the fact that they got 20 characters for such a low profile game would suggest that maybe its not as hard as people think
Not to mention all the anime/manga characters from both old and new franchises that have crossed over to said mobile game and even sentai like Ultraman and Kamen Rider or even other mobile games like Monster Strike.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I doubt money has much to do with it. Square and Level-5 kinda have history together ever since Dragon Quest 8. Where do you even get the idea they have money troubles anyway? Level-5 mobile games continue to top the charts for some of the highest grossing mobile games in Japan.

Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni had more Final Fantasy content for years than Smash has had only recently despite the fact Nintendo has more than enough money that they could have afforded just as much ages ago. I theorize Square charges Nintendo monumental amounts of extra.

Not to mention all the anime/manga characters from both old and new franchises that have crossed over to said mobile game and even sentai like Ultraman and Kamen Rider or even other mobile games like Monster Strike.
I figured they were having money troubles because of how they closed their branches in other countries outside Japan, that's usually a sign that stuff aint selling.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I figured they were having money troubles because of how they closed their branches in other countries outside Japan, that's usually a sign that stuff aint selling.
Japanese companies and franchises have never been reliant on countries other than Japan to still do well.

Stuff like Crayon Shin-Chan and Kinnikuman are good examples of that.

Probably the only outlier to that kind of thing is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Spyro the Dragon is also proof that homeland sales are really all that matter when you look at its JP sales.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
More collaborations it seems, this time with Shaman King.
Didn't know this game was still being supported

Its nice to know Level-5 still has a good time collabing with other companies. Hopefully that means good things for the future.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Its nice to know Level-5 still has a good time collabing with other companies. Hopefully that means good things for the future.
oh maybe they didnt blow all their money on licencing after all. unless shaman king is particularly cheap?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507

I've been following their Yo-Kai Watch activities for years cuz I love staying updated on all the cool stuff they do.

Yo-Kai Watch World keeps getting cool as heck variants every month and Puni Puni gets updated bi-monthly.

I don't feel surprised anymore cuz they always do cool stuff like that. Now it just makes me smile when others are surprised.

oh maybe they didnt blow all their money on licencing after all. unless shaman king is particularly cheap?
Again, Puni is one of Japan's highest grossing mobile games.

Like I said here before, there's really nothing at all suggesting they're struggling financially when you look into it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've been following their Yo-Kai Watch activities for years cuz I love staying updated on all the cool stuff they do.

Yo-Kai Watch World keeps getting cool as heck variants every month and Puni Puni gets updated bi-monthly.

I don't feel surprised anymore cuz they always do cool stuff like that. Now it just makes me smile when others are surprised.

Again, Puni is one of Japan's highest grossing mobile games.

Like I said here before, there's really nothing at all suggesting they're struggling financially when you look into it.
puni?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni

The Yo-Kai Watch mobile game that, like I said earlier, had about 10 times as much Square Enix content for years than Smash has had until only recently.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I am doing a second run of Yokai watch 4 but this time watching along with a translated playthrough online, this is a lot better when i know whats going lol

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Having played a good amount of YKW4 myself, YKW4 is really just okay, if I'm being honest.
Busters Red Cat/White Dog and 3 are WAY better.

Top Bottom