• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level-5 Discussion

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's another teaser this time of Scotland Yard.
Can't tell if its based off the design of the original series or LMJ but I think its a bit closer to the original series since the building looks a bit smaller...

If that's the case then we will probably be seeing Chelmey, Barton and/or Grosky again, which is neat.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
4B6555C6-145F-4254-8AF3-402A6819AD9C.jpeg
New Layton render. Pretty sure it is. News incoming for the anniversary???

I hope it’s news for outside Japan this time as well. The new manga only being Japan exclusive hurts a lot

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
View attachment 341627New Layton render. Pretty sure it is. News incoming for the anniversary???

I hope it’s news for outside Japan this time as well. The new manga only being Japan exclusive hurts a lot
I feel like most of these artworks are reused but we'll see..

At the very least, we will probably see them tweeting a happy birthday for the Layton series come February and I guess it remains to be seen what else they will do for 2022..

Oh right, there was also that new years tweet thing many Japanese game devs posted
Pretty sweet to see both Hino and Sakurai having the bigger images in that group collage.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the way things are going its probably only a matter of time before microsoft or sony buy level-5. they seem to be buying everything

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
the way things are going its probably only a matter of time before microsoft or sony buy level-5. they seem to be buying everything
I think that it should be Nintendo buying Level 5 out. Out of all the console companies Level 5 is the closest to Nintendo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that it should be Nintendo buying Level 5 out. Out of all the console companies Level 5 is the closest to Nintendo.
people would have said Microsoft were closer to bungie and Sony were closer to activision

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
For some reason they reminded me of the broodals when I first saw this....

What are they based on?
I really don't know. I sooner associated them with The Deadly Six.
SbREZKK_d.png

I personally hope they remain independent myself.

Considering their history and collabs, I'd say they more flip flop between Sony or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In terms of Level-5 getting bought out by Ninty or Sony, I'd imagine it would more or less be a pick your poison type of deal...
If Sony bought Level-5 then that might make their prospect of ever getting any content in Smash go down the drain unless Sony pulls a Microsoft down the line, though on the other hand, they might have a better shot as reviving their co-owned stuff from Sony like Dark Cloud again, maybe.

On the other hand, if Ninty bought them, then they might get better marketing support for their IP's like they did during the DS/3DS era, which most of them are already heavily associated with Ninty as is and they'll prolly not get thrown in the dust as hard when it comes to Smash content as they did for Ultimate... On the other hand, their Sony co-owned stuff like Dark Cloud would probably be buried into an even deeper legal hole than it already is at this point...

I think the best buyer out of any would be Namco actually. They'd probably be able to retain most of their freedom with them I'd imagine.

But that's only in the absolute worst case scenario, overall, it may be for the best that they remained independent, especially since I'd imagine they don't want to repeat another Dark Cloud type of situation where they have little to no control over their creations.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Nintendo said they weren’t interested in buying companies the way the other two have been

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Happy 15th anniversary to the Layton series!

Nice to see the western Layton twitter be briefly revived for this too.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Speculation time. Something that’s not been done in awhile.

the western Layton account hasn’t been active in 2 years and all of a sudden it’s popped up 4 days ago to celebrate the Anniversary. Wishful thinking but perhaps incoming news soon???

most likely just celebrating the anniversary but it’s a tad weird if there’s nothing else planned.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speculation time. Something that’s not been done in awhile.

the western Layton account hasn’t been active in 2 years and all of a sudden it’s popped up 4 days ago to celebrate the Anniversary. Wishful thinking but perhaps incoming news soon???

most likely just celebrating the anniversary but it’s a tad weird if there’s nothing else planned.
If they had continued to post like they did post LMJ DX to LF HD then I'd say you'd probably be onto something...

Right now it feels like they just did a quick anniversary post with an art contest and mobile sales and kinda left things be...
Even the anniversary artwork they kind of left that to some other younger artist at L5 over the lead artist, who only drew Flora in it according to one of his tweets..
I mean, hopefully I'm wrong and we get some further announcements later in the year but I guess it remains to be seen.

I wonder if their doing this art contest just to see if there is still any interest in the IP from fans, which I'd hope is not the case since engagement doesn't seem to be as high as they where for LF HD, at least from what I recall. Its kinda sad...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone else want to see a game based on the prologue of eternal diva? i wanna know what was going on there

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
anyone else want to see a game based on the prologue of eternal diva? i wanna know what was going on there
I guess the closest thing to that bell case we got was the first case in LMJ, but with the clock hand instead.

But yeah, it would be neat to see that case expanded a little. Which would have been great for an episode in a Layton anime based off the original series L5 hint hint nudge nudge.....

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I started watching Megaton Musashi, it's pretty good, i like the protagonist.

Calling it, if/when this franchise makes an appearance in Super Robot Wars the writers are going to pair it up with Getter Robo.

That would also be the only time this IP gets an english release lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I started watching Megaton Musashi, it's pretty good, i like the protagonist.

Calling it, if/when this franchise makes an appearance in Super Robot Wars the writers are going to pair it up with Getter Robo.

That would also be the only time this IP gets an english release lol
is super robot wars also hosted by dara obrian?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
is super robot wars also hosted by dara obrian?
I know this is a joke, but nah. It's one of the longest running JRPG series, having regularly gotten new entries since 1991. Most of the games are Japan only but in the 2010's they started making an effort to release the series in english.

Counting it's spin off titles like Project X Zone, Super hero operations and Compact heroes the series has actually won a world record for the largest crossover universe, Bandai Namco has collabed with tons of companies over the years to make this crossover bigger, Sega got in the last game with Sakura Wars, Square Enix got Heroman back in one of the 3DS titles, Capcom got Megaman in the mobile game. Etc, etc.

Considering Bandai Namco have collabed with Level 5 quiet a bit already, yeah Megaton Musashi is probably going to make it in at some point in the future.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507

Puyo Puyo characters like Arle are now officially Yo-kai Watch characters thanks to Puni Puni. Yo-Kai Watch's crossovers once again never cease to amaze.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
DrCoeloCephalo DrCoeloCephalo
Oh wow, that is amazing to see. Nice to see Sega and Level-5 being buddy buddies.

Reminds me of the surprise crossover promotion between Medabots and Megaman Battle Network last year or so.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Day bazillion of waiting for any Professor Layton game news whatsoever or music news.

it’s criminal they ported Layton 1, 2 and the anime’s ost’s to iTunes and skipped the rest and then deleted the anime’s ost and Layton 2’s ost from iTunes and kept Layton 1 up

I would do anything to see Layton 3,4,5 and 6 added to iTunes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Day bazillion of waiting for any Professor Layton game news whatsoever or music news.

it’s criminal they ported Layton 1, 2 and the anime’s ost’s to iTunes and skipped the rest and then deleted the anime’s ost and Layton 2’s ost from iTunes and kept Layton 1 up

we dont even have 1 where i am

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Inb4 the art contest is the only Layton related thing they are going to do for the series...

At least put some more Layton characters into that Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni thing, its crazy that there are so many ambitious third party crossovers in that game but yet Layton only has Hershel and Katrielle from Level-5's own side...

Guess that's how some Smash fans feel when certain third party characters receive very large red carpet treatments over Nintendo's own stuff... :x

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Inb4 the art contest is the only Layton related thing they are going to do for the series...

At least put some more Layton characters into that Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni thing, its crazy that there are so many ambitious third party crossovers in that game but yet Layton only has Hershel and Katrielle from Level-5's own side...

Guess that's how some Smash fans feel when certain third party characters receive very large red carpet treatments over Nintendo's own stuff... :x
Or how Sonic fans feel when they see how underwhelming Sonic's representation is compared to most of the other third parties.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Or how Sonic fans feel when they see how underwhelming Sonic's representation is compared to most of the other third parties.
to be fair, sonic is doing the best for assist trophies and stages. depending on whether or not you count having to pay extra for the second FF as a trike against or not.

Top Bottom