• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
grr, I hate this stupid "Brawl isn't as competitive" argument. what, when you play it do you try to lose as opposed to trying to win? when a match is over it still says who won, therefore I'd say its competitive.

also 1v1's no items are really fun now, since I don't have to think about doing a thousand shffl's a second anymore.
Having a winner doesn't make something competitive. If you had a coin tossing tournament, *somebody* would win, yet no one in his right mind would argue the tournament was competitive.

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
Very well said. Who cares what his opinion is? Brawl is the best game ive ever played. GTFO Hippochinfat.
Did you just agree with hippochinfat, only to tell him to GTFO moments later?
What the hell is going on here?

I've posted this elsewhere, but I feel that it belongs in this train wreck of a topic too.

People have the right to complain.

If somebody feels that Brawl is not good, he should be respected just as one who commends Brawl. I love Brawl. I think it's the best game in the series. You may not think that. That's fine.

I'm not going to get into an argument about this because it is futile to argue over one's opinion. There is no opinion that governs over the other. Chill out. Not everyone agrees with you.

Flow Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Having a winner doesn't make something competitive. If you had a coin tossing tournament, *somebody* would win, yet no one in his right mind would argue the tournament was competitive.
Sorry that this has nothing to do with the thread, but Shai Hulud has the greatest name ever (I was contemplating being Shaitan, but it was probably already taken)

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
Sorry that this has nothing to do with the thread, but Shai Hulud has the greatest name ever (I was contemplating being Shaitan, but it was probably already taken)
Actually, we need more posts like this in threads that degenerate quickly into situations with no return.
Non-sequitur hijacks are welcomed here.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I am pretty amazing.

Non-sequitur hijack: This thread will now be a discussion about how amazing I am.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to agree with this one, all that L-canceling and whatnot made it less fun. But really, this has to be the best game I have ever played in my lifetime... Oh well, everyone has their own opinions. Thank you OP for not forcing your opinion on me.

(I feel like CoD is turing into a daycare center with all the little kids)
How can an additional feature to a game make it less fun? Nobody said you had to L-cancel if you didn't want to. It wasn't mandatory.

Oh, I get it. You didn't like having to practice to be the best.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You know what I think the most amazing thing about Shai Hulud is? His Fox is so unbelievably purple and shiny.

TheReFiller

Smash Rookie
From what I can tell of 3+ hours of Brawl playing at my friend's house, sure it may be a little different, but it still has that Smash Bros aura surrounding it. And yes, the physics and game play differ slightly, but people will get used to it eventually. It stinks there is no wavedashing or L-canceling, but I'm sure we can find some new techniques or a way around it. I say that all you Brawl haters need to give Brawl a few more chances. If that fails, than you can go back to playing Melee for all I care.

P.S. - Darn, Brawl is arriving in my mail on Friday. I can't wait any longer. :(

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you who are complaining never played Smash64, because it's pretty much the same as that, if not a tad bit faster.

What's with all the butthurt? If you don't like it, don't play it. Obviously if you don't like something, you shouldn't talk about it. Why surround yourself with stuff you dislike? Just go away, play Melee, I don't care. Stop whining about it.
You're saying what I'm thinking and wanting to say. Awesome.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
OP, Your reasons all suck.

The edge magnetism thing is actualy a good thing, and almost all of your reasons are stupid. Stick to melee, I'm glad I don't have to play fools like you online anyways. Nub.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Shai Hulud is getting his way with taking over this thread. I'm totally for it. It's hilarious.

Now for my two cents on this ridiculous topic. First off Mario Parties are thrown out every year with no care put into them. The amount of time and effort put into Brawl is absolutlye ludicrous.

Secondly Smash is a party fighting game, that's what the series has always been known for. It's a glorified king of the hill with items and four played accessibilty, its MEANT to be a party game. It's also always had Nintendo's biggest stars fighting each other, a huge geekgasm for us Nintendo fanboys, and then with all that, it still somehow is deep enough to make a hardcore competive game out of it.

You idiots complaining about this game need to remember that Sakurai never made the game with the intent of wavedashing being THE way to play the game. It's not catered for just us who've been playing the game religiously all these years. It's a party fighting game. on the Wii. Featuring mutliple characters, Sonic and Snake included, its MEANT to sell more copies, it's meant to appeal to as many people as possible, THAT'S HOW YOU SELL GAMES. And that's how the series has always, ALWAYS been.

Does that mean that competitive Smash doesn't count anymore? That this game is just meant for casual only? Are you people insane? Have you not been following the development of this game? Sakurai put his heart and soul into this project for two years, he could have taken Melee and just added new characters, but he didnt. He rebuilt it from the ground up. He gave us a completely different game. And all you can do is ***** about it? It's got a huge soundtrack, online play, a chance to start fresh and master a completely different beast instead of the same ****ing thing we've been playing for seven years, and some of you have the aucacity to sit here and compare it to Mario Party?

Advanced techs will be discovered. A brand new style of competitive play will come with it, then and only then compare it to Melee's. 64 is a totally different game from Melee, Brawl is only following that tradition. You may like it more, you may like it less, but regardless you can put in all three games, and you'll be playing something entirely different with each one.

I didn't sit around and wait to play a game I've been playing seven years. If Sakurai didn't show love for this game, it would have been the exact same thing. If you want to stick to Melee, stick to Melee, the rest of us are going to master this entirely new game and then eventually endure listening to the idiots whining that Smash 4 doesn't play like Brawl.

It's been said a million times already, this game is new, things will be discovered. But after all the work and love Sakurai and the ridiculously large amount of people put into this game, be a little smarter than comparing it to a game series they repackage and resell every year.

Deft

Smash Cadet
kr3man for the win! lets take this out to the wifi fellas, if your down I'll post my friendcode, then do a 2vs2 , me and kr3man vs shai hulud and flaming dragon wang.

brawl time!

arrowhead

Smash Ace
the game's mechanics guarantee that it won't be as competitive as melee. and then you take into account the techs they took out like l-cancel and DJC. i didn't put WD in that list because it wasn't intended, so none of you can say "we'll find new techs".

giving the game the same competitive potential as melee wouldn't take away from casual play. we're "butthurt" because they INTENDED to tone the game down for newbies, which was completely unnecessary

this doesn't mean i don't LIKE the game. i play it every time my parents aren't home. but i just don't like how they made the game less competitive than melee for no justifiable reason

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a letdown, but Mario Party comparisons are extreme. And it's not the speed, it's the general quality of the choices they made regarding what was put in and what wasn't. Examples include: SSE=Kirby, ROB/Toon Link/Lucas, no Galaxy anything, stickers. There are just too many things for people to be unhappy about, and I really don't think they made the proper decisions to make Brawl last until the next installment.
Anyway, if you look at another major entertainment industry that has gone down the drain (in about the same timeline), I'll give you a different comparison. Disney at one point was producing some quality movies--although they were all basically the same, they were nominated for best picture and score and everything in the early nineties--because they were good; they stacked up to live action, and that's saying something. We'll call that standard analagous to Nintendo's glory days: the 64 generation. There were some good games before 64, just like there were some good Disney movies before the nineties, but that was when Nintendo really shone just like N64 was Nintendo's glory days.
Then Disney lost Alan Menken and although tried a musical or two; they generally failed. The last of these pseudo-musicals was Tarzan, and Phil Collins was officially what killed Disney. This is about where Brawl is at right now--trying to go with the same good stuff but really not meeting expectations that were created based on its predecessors; it's created on outdated information.
Now, Disney has pretty much given up on good musicals--Enchanted was a pseudo-musical, but it only succeeded because they brought back Menken's music, which was what essentially saved Disney to begin with. But mostly, Disney is now nothing but lame half-***** movies and sequels like High School Musical, Cinderella 3, and Hannah Montana. "If you throw enough crap at the wall, eventually some of it will stick" attitude. This is where Mario Party and Mario Sports games are. They keep churning out crappy sequels just to get money from the small cults that actually still play them.
So, Brawl really isn't at the Mario Party stage yet. But SSB's getting there, and I'm pretty sure that if people keep blindly accepting the fact that Brawl has major room for improvement, then it will essentially be nothing more than party game quality by the next generation.

Peace,

Mikau

greenpika

Smash Cadet
you ever notice how long posts like this one always go off topic? i mean, it was about comparing brawl and melee and mario party? then it became ppl fighting online over a freakin name...

ok i know everyone was waiting to hear my opinion (lol), so here it is

brawl. is different from melee. there is no doubt about that. because ive trained so hard on melee, i just cant get used the stuff repeated about a million times in this thread (WD/LC gone, slow falling stuff...). the game has a different FEEL. in melee, after a few years, you get used to the controller. the all of a sudden you're using the Wiimote... its not the same. plus, unless you have 25 hours a day to play brawl, theres no way you can take in all the features. theres just way too much. as of now, i am disappointed in Brawl.

HOWEVER
if brawl were exactly identical to melee, i would never have bought it. give the pros some time to figure it out. did you guys invent SHFFLing or WD? i didnt think so. dont say theres nothing left to do on brawl. theres bound to be new ad. techs. coming soon. it just came out yesterday, and you guys are acting like you already know everything about it. you havent even been playing it for two days. even the great Mario didnt become mascot of Nintendo is a single day.

personally, i cant wait for the BRoomers to come up with a new set of tiers and stage lists. i hope marth is still on top...

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Brawl is awesome. The load times are long because there are like three different games on this one little disk .. it is really insanely awesome. I dont mind waiting a few extra seconds to play this amazing game.

sly9

Smash Rookie
I kinda like brawl more than melee because now advanced players are going to be separated by tactics specific to a character more than just general advanced moves like wavedash.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
HOWEVER
if brawl were exactly identical to melee, i would never have bought it.
Yes, you would. Stop lying to yourself. :p

On topic ... Obviously people have a right to their own opinion, but I REALLY fail to see the point of threads like these. If you don't like the game, why does everyone need to know? It's your own opinion and you're crazy if you think that anyone cares about it (unless you're a "pro", of course). If you like the game, there's no use in making a thread saying how much you love it either.

GoodMornEvery1

Smash Cadet
It takes some getting used to, ill admit, and melee was better ill admit, but brawl is great. its the breath of fresh air we all needed

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like brawl more than melee because now advanced players are going to be separated by tactics specific to a character more than just general advanced moves like wavedash.
I like that too, yeah. Snake has that upsmash dash thing, and Zamus has her Dash attack + Dtilt combo. Peach still has autofloat, and Diddy Kong has amazing Forward-B mindgame potential (personally, I like doing an aerial right after pressing his >B, it's like, instant forward-momentum shorthop thing).

thumbswayup

Smash Master
there are some insanely moronic people in this thread.

it does not matter that wavedashing was a glitch, it was part of the game. that isnt even the basis of the argument in this thread you mentally challenged dip****s. everyone is refering mostly to L-cancel and dash dancing being removed. two things that sped up gameplay and made combos possible. this makes brawl even slower. brawl is still fun, it just never will have as much competitive value as melee.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
On topic ... Obviously people have a right to their own opinion, but I REALLY fail to see the point of threads like these. If you don't like the game, why does everyone need to know? It's your own opinion and you're crazy if you think that anyone cares about it (unless you're a "pro", of course). If you like the game, there's no use in making a thread saying how much you love it either.
Okay. By that logic, you shouldn't have ever made this post, as this is your opinion (the "you're crazy if you think..." part), and we probably don't care.

Fact is, we want our opinions heard. We may want to vent. etc etc.

And for the record, Brawl is so "good" in my eyes, I haven't bought it, and have no intention on buying it. And I myself and bursting to rant about all the disappointing things about it. But whatever.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The thing is Brawl is not Melee 2.0
If it were, why the **** would Sakurai bother making a whole new entire game?
If it were Melee 2.0 we would be playing on the game cube.
But it's on the Wii. meaning its a new ball game.

Give the goddam game a chance. Ifs ****ing fun as hell :laugh: can't stop playing :)

And if you say Brawl sucks

A)You do not have the ****ing game
B) you suck at it so bad you blame the game for you're ****ty skills
C)You can't handle new games you have been playing for over 2 years that you still play UT2004
D)You can't appreciate what Smash Bros is

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
It has bad load times, I'll give you that.

If you wanted to play melee, why don't you just play melee? Real complicated stuff here, eh.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
That's probably the most annoying thing ever. We know Brawl is not "Melee 2.0" and you "reminding" people doesn't say anything about anything. The only time you need to say that is when saying so is actually I dunno...RELEVANT to what's actually going on. Saying it randomly just makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom