• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcYmEWXv2pY

No one ver critiqued me with every video I posted, trying again.
Well that wasn't the "campy" Falco that you we mostly expect. The falco was a bit You do pretty well with the Pivots, and you don't use much arrows, which is actually kinda good (to me) on this type of Falco since both of you seemed to prefer aggressive over defense in the match.
Also do keep in mind that the wingdash thing isn't completely needed... well in this matchup. I'm still trying to figure out which characters this could be good for, well besides messing up Peach's floating thing. Regardless, you did really good.
Of course, I love that D-tilt spike you did on him <3

Ayoub

Smash Ace
You seemed like you were spamming a lot of arrows and smashes. Try to be more aggresive, you'll be succesful. You still have a lot of room for improvement. Try some AT's like wingdashing or arrow rain.
No offense, but this isn't helping at all. First of all, I didn't use a lot of arrows, nor smashes. Only sometimes twice in a row, but that's wifi. We both didn't camp, so how is this not aggresive? Saying I should use useless ATs like wingdash isn't helping, nor does arrow rain. It's all crap. But thanks overall. =P

Oh, ik zie nu pas dat jij het bent, kanker op. xD

Admiral - Yeah, I noticed he didn't play really campy, so I didn't do it aswell. xP Thanks for the compliments. What wingdash thing? =P I don't use it, only for 'taunt', or I did it once in this match I guess after the glide-cancel. xD But it failed.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That's the Sage I remember, so tricky sometimes, and that's great to see an underrated character out there. I'm curious if you Pivot grab sometimes, or try angel ring back onto the stage while you're hanging on the ledge.
Regardless, keep up the great work! And you're right; the music is really silly T_T

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
I loled at the Music. (Though it wasn´t THAT bad xD)
Nice Matches, It would be great if he´d also recorded Set 2, but nevermind.
I liked your 2nd kill on halberd.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19zfyuhNlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhE1bYo8kdI

Match 2 wasn't recorded + I didn't upload these (so dont mind the music LOL)

Pretty fun set vs yoshi
Neat stuff.

I've heard a lot about your Pit.

I'm a pit main as well, and i"m currently doing a study on my blog on playstyles. I have pit video of myself versus other players (like ChaOtic) that I'm putting together.

I'd like to interview you sometime and see what you think/know of Pit.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
I know I don't use wingdash as much I should. I think at least in friendlies we should practice wingdashing more, it's a good mind game and the beginning frames do take out projectiles right? They can also do proper spacing, wing dashing on Marth though for example is a bad idea.. sword too long. It's probably useless against G n W as well.. Their approaching options are too good for bit. You can push away snake's grenades on the ground instead of avoiding them in the air as well.. it's good so he doesn't motor slide to you when you are in the air.. or up tilts. Of course you need to watch the timing of the grenade. If he's holding it and not throwing it right away punish snake with arrows.. he drops it too xD (lol snake talk on a video thread my bad - I just think wing dashing CAN be useful with it's small things)

Wingdash over a banana gaiz~ :p

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjAiPXPWoQ

this video is from a while back but its the only vid of me. i posted it on the Q/A thread but i would really like an OFFCIAL video critiquement
thx
Stop rolling when you are close to snake, dtilt instead. Its great for spacing too. Mix up your attacks more, you retreat all the time even when you get good chances to nair him for shielding too much.

Not good to approach but when snake is trying to, then you predict a good way to hit.

Evade his grenades instead of using most of your jumps over them.

Objective for snake is to keep him off the ground.

Nice arrow star K.O.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Stop rolling when you are close to snake, dtilt instead. Its great for spacing too. Mix up your attacks more, you retreat all the time even when you get good chances to nair him for shielding too much.

Not good to approach but when snake is trying to, then you predict a good way to hit.

Evade his grenades instead of using most of your jumps over them.

Objective for snake is to keep him off the ground.

Nice arrow star K.O.
thx ill try to do all that more often :)

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
Here's a few doubles vid's featuring my Pit. I'm posting the ones where we win, the other matches are on youtube as well if you want to check them out. I wish I had some singles vids from this tourney, but I couldn't get any. I'll try for more at the next one. enjoy!

Arc(Pit) & Mario (Fox) Vs. Anther(Pikachu) & Judge(Wario) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xk7It5ymCE

Arc(Pit) & Mario (GnW) Vs. Boxxy(MK) & Goddy(Lighter MK) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_G77xkQdHA

lemme know what you think!

Conti

Smash Ace
Hey these r some sets from like sometime last month... I am improving with pit like crazy and need a critique...
I'm on my cell phone so I can't get the direct link but they can be found on my youtube... someone plz not be lazyyy

www.youtube.com/contizbeastm0de

@arc. Wow... even tho they were sandbagging when u were by urself sick comeback.... (oh and good backair killz)

@tikun. Delphino is g4y. Simple as thatttt

@CYVE posting arc in singless. (Lol I typed this at 1am and didn't realize it wuz arc) Not bad... (u do some stuff I need to do)... but u walked into a couple easily predicted grabs and you shud try to be more careful on ledge (maybe get in the habit of arrowing off ledge on occasion instead of just Uair... always look to mix things up). Just kinda review ur options (sometn I am workn on too) in ur situations and just try to predict safer stuff... also even tho it works on ur friends d3 a lot maybe try not to jump, WoI, bair as much... it can be punished, just look to mix that up too... maybe stall longer sometimes in WoI (space well) use more jumps... or normal ariels.... just try to mix things up overall... next time I watch u I wanna see some wingdashesss. (Its fun and mindgamey gotta love it)
Good stuff overall. I'm a bad critiquer but hope this helps...

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow I didn't even see those. Yeah those were losers bracket. I just wasn't playing right against D3. I'll try to have some more up soon. maybe a couple wifis.

Conti

Smash Ace
Can any1 critique my pit from the post I had above... they r older sets and Impved a good amount of some stuff but need some type of critique for better ideas

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Van is good. We played him in Dubs before Singles and 2-0'd them with ease so I went in underestimating the D3 and lost because of it.

@conti - thanks for the words of advice, i'll be sure to integrate a grain of Wingdashing at the next tourney on the 17th :p. I know you've been waiting for a critique so I'll look at your videos when I'm out of work today.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
Okay Conti. This is a play-by-play of what I saw in the first round against that Metaknight

1st stock:

At first I thought you lacked movement, but then noticed you're playing a counter-type style punishing the very aggressive MK.

00:35 - Approaching MK offstage was risky, but in this moment it paid off with some good damage. He also recovered with a Drill Rush. If you could have read that quick enough a reverse MS could have given you a free KO.

- overall first stock was very nice. I saw some good use of wingdashing a couple of times, but don't overuse it. Your mind will get caught up in that "flashy" mentality. This is very apparent after you take MK's first stock. Arrow Loops... Don't use them unless you KNOW you're going to hit them. otherwise, you're just wasting time.

2nd stock:

You died to a Dsmash. looked unavoidable. You did have time to DI though and I didn't see any. So that could be something to work on. This stock is very short because of two things; the "flashy mentality" and your recovery. It all started with that Arrow Loop which didn't connect and MK capatalized on it, taking you offstage. the glide was predictable, it almost looks like you don't know how to glide well as you pull up and stop the glide. you do this later in the match as well. If you're going to cancel a glide just hit "B" and it'll auto-cancel it for you. Right after that you WOI WAY too far off stage, which the meta capitalized on. Try to mix up your recoveries. Against MK I tend to go real high or very low and to the other side of the stage.

3rd stock:

Again, too much flashiness in the beginning. you do a lot of Wing Dashing this stock, a few times getting you punished. MK loses a stock because of a bad decision so you lucked out and we see you start to calm down a bit.

3:24- you NEED to watch you opponent! at this part you had ample time to edge hog MK as he's falling helpless from a Shuttle Loop.

I thought you were gonna bring back this stock, but that wasn't the case. The real problem in this stock is that you do a lot of running back and forth, but have no plan on what to do next. Pivot Grab, Reverse-b Arrow, something. Don't just run, do something to set up your opponent.

Overall it was a good performance considering the mistakes made by both parties. Here's a list of things you could work on:

-Arrows (more of them, more accuracy, less flashy)
-Recovery (less predictable, mix it up)
-Pivot Grabbing (I saw none and Pit has a very good one)
-DI (Didn't see any momentum canceling with aerials. Look into that)
-JAB GAME (Use more jabs! Pit has a very good jab game imo)

Once again, good match and keep it up! I know I'm long-winded, but the more you know, right? I hope this helped your Pit game and I'm glad to see more Pits by the day!

Conti

Smash Ace
Yea tbh I'm a flashy player
( @ 3:24 I purposely let him on cuz he got upset cuz he meant to UP+B toward the stage and we felt this as a good match to upload (we were talkn as we played))... yea I overused WD cuz I was still workn on using the AT (like when to and when not to use it)... along with arrow loops (tryn to work on that precision which is why I overused)...
recently like a week ago I started incorping MS gimps cuz I noticed how R4PE it is...
and ur right about my pit di... (my DI in general) diddy I use Bair.. what's pit's quickest ariel? Fair?
And ill turn the flashyness down :] (a bitt)...
Use glide more and mix it up
As for piviot grab... ill try to get a more recent match cuz I have been using it more b4 readin ur post cuz I saw I cud have done it like 10 times in replay... and ur right I really need to jab more (rapid a's or Jab cancle into stuff) thanks muchh

Oh and Pit was my Original Main... back when I didn't know how to play smash and tbh he's my only other character besides Diddy (main) and like... ike (LT) that I can play like fluently :] so its more like ima blast from the pastt :D

Esca

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkBo1A9HG8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfh9UMzzOA

I'm relatively new to Pit, and any general tips would be nice. I'm considering maining him, so I need to know if I have any skills. Ignore SD's and stuff, these were friendlies. Thanks in advance.
I only watched the first match but some of the stuff I noticed that you were:

1. Nairing a little too much. It's a decent move but only if it's canceled and inside of someone for sheild pressure/full damage of the move is dealt.

2. Often being stubborn as far as duplicating moves is concerned. At certain points in the video I noticed that one move would fail and you would try it till it hit. It's very important to not do this with Pit considering his playstyle.

3. Spacing moves incorrectly. Not canceling aerials/spacing arrows etc. This does come with practice though, and if your fairly new to Pit I can see you vastly improving as time goes on. :)

Nice last kill btw. =P

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Whai thank you. The Nairing was from my recent switch to C-Stick attacks, and I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I actually do have some more recent clips, but they won't be uploaded until later. Thanks, really, for the critique.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
@Kiros

You should consider that Fsmash isn't your ONLY killing move. And you must be aware of %'s. DDD won't die unless 150%+.

You're not using jabs as dodge or shielding punisher.
If DDD gets grabed at 0%, you could 2 ou 3 fthrow's and stutter step fsmash.
You can never use arrows near the edge when your enemy is in edgehog. It will never work.

Try more spacing with retreating fairs and full hop dairs. You're not making any kind of protection.

You're in a good way though.
Hope to see more videos from you.

[]'s.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Hey rekros the only significant problem that I saw with your game was that you rely too much on the mirror shield. Although it can reflect attacks, you should only use it if you are actually reflecting something and then only if reflecting the attack with benefit you. For instance, 17 seconds into the second match, you turned around and pulled out your mirror shield to block the rang and you left your back completely open and he could have very easily just run up and got a free hit on you or done something else for easy damage. You also tried to use it in place of a regular shield but some attacks have a large enough hitbox to hit the backside of your hurtbox on the other side of the mirror shield like the explosion from Toon Link's bomb did at 3:10 of the second video. Besides that, good arrows but add some diversity in your mid-glide movement (it messes up their timing so they can't properly space an attack) and work on the spacing for the glide attack because you should be able to hit Toon Link from far enough away to avoid getting punished too easily.

Rekros

Smash Cadet
Yeah you're right, I used the shield a lot more than I should have, but hey in the second match at 17 seconds it did benefit me, the boomerang hit him and dealt 4% damage XD and yeah in the third match I realized it and didn't use the shield so much, also thanks for the critique, I thought no one would comment since it's been almost a month since posted. So thanks stealthgun I really appreciate it :D

Top Bottom