• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah, but my idea of a niche is a board where I can actively post and contribute. Obviously I love you guys, but I can't really participate in any of the projects going on here.
You could find ways to attract new and casual gamers to the Link boards. Like activities (I've been thinking of a Link art thread) or something. Stuff to find new Link players and improve traffic. *shrug*

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah, but my idea of a niche is a board where I can actively post and contribute. Obviously I love you guys, but I can't really participate in any of the projects going on here.
You could do a "lets play" of an LoZ game. Like one of the Oracle games or the classic Link to the Past.

Also...

SO MUCH RAIN!!!!!..... Hawaii sucks.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Do a Let's Play of OoT's Water Temple! Try to beat my record: 45 minutes.

Haha, is it bad that it's only been like a month and a half and I desperately want to go to another tourney? Even playing against top players that I know will beat me, it's still so much fun. Plus I always learn a lot playing them since playing people who are better than me and as a character who is awful forces me to improve and shows me my flaws, and I think I'm at the point where improving my technical skill isn't going to make me much better of a player. (Plus now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be using a pocket Wario for pesky MKs, Falcos, etc., so I wanna go in and get some good placings, haha).

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
idk The way you play it might not work out with Pit. His smashes are really weak as is, if you spam them it will take you forever to kill someone. I cant see why you dont play Wolf. Seems like that would be a natural character for you. All wolf needs to do is smash spam and he can win.
Lots of Bair spacing works.

~

Tery, even if you don't contribute smashwise, your always welcome here. Always.

Dude Xavier, 3 of those 7 are players I recognize are being really good if you can take them you'll be great, not an easy task by any means but you can do it, also who is Duke?

Do a Let's Play of OoT's Water Temple! Try to beat my record: 45 minutes.
My friend was around 1 month.

Haha, is it bad that it's only been like a month and a half and I desperately want to go to another tourney? Even playing against top players that I know will beat me, it's still so much fun. Plus I always learn a lot playing them since playing people who are better than me and as a character who is awful forces me to improve and shows me my flaws, and I think I'm at the point where improving my technical skill isn't going to make me much better of a player. (Plus now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be using a pocket Wario for pesky MKs, Falcos, etc., so I wanna go in and get some good placings, haha).
I think just playing the game and learning what you can from playing against players around you is a great way to improve. I MM players better than me a lot and lose, heck I was thinking of MMing Ally when he goes to Don't Blink to see how well I can do against one of the best players in the world, and to see what I do wrong in a match by recording vids against him if I can.

Link vs Falcon, Lucario vs anyone, I could learn something from playing against Ally.

You got Reflex and other good players around you so you for it made.

Get em' Huggles. :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Today, 03:09 PM #0

This post has been recently edited.

Live topic... this thread apparently has 0 posts now. Weird.
Edit, now the number's back to normal. That^ post number said 0 briefly. ...nevermind.
Edit 2, clicking the 0 I copied links to that post. ...

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Dude Xavier, 3 of those 7 are players I recognize are being really good if you can take them you'll be great, not an easy task by any means but you can do it, also who is Duke?
It is easier to call me X ;)

But yeah I'm glad you realized for a 7 man tourney I had 3 RANKED PLAYERS in it, I only got to play TeeVee's R.O.B tho which 2-0'd me. Game 2 I SHOULD OF WON, came down to 160%+ both of us last hit and I missed it, he punished.
Duke is a D3 main I am not sure if he has ever been ranked but his was pretty legit. He never lost his cool when I was leading/owning him with projectiles. Also 2-0'd me and game 2 was pretty close last stocks as well.

I need to be more focused more game 1's like I used to be x_x

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Game 1's are important, yo. In the random RC tourney I lost game 1 to an opponent I should have beaten when as Ike I was combat walking and the platform disappeared underneath me and I nair'ed to death. It was a ***** clawing back in it; I had to fight tooth and nail games 2 and 3 (and that was without dealing with CP's). Winning or losing game 1 is huge; it puts a ton of pressure on the loser and guarantees the winner at worst their choice of CP and character for the deciding 3rd game.

I think just playing the game and learning what you can from playing against players around you is a great way to improve. I MM players better than me a lot and lose, heck I was thinking of MMing Ally when he goes to Don't Blink to see how well I can do against one of the best players in the world, and to see what I do wrong in a match by recording vids against him if I can.

Link vs Falcon, Lucario vs anyone, I could learn something from playing against Ally.

You got Reflex and other good players around you so you for it made.

Get em' Huggles. :p
<3 Georgia. All the guys in Georgia are really cool, and there are a lot of good players there too, like Kismet, Big Lou, Reflex, Player 1, Micaelis, Scatt, etc. I'd love to get good enough to start winning sets against them. Playing them as much as possible and learning how to play smart is the way to go.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The old top down zelda games aren't that hard. If you are worried about getting lost you could use an online strat guide from like game FAQ or something. Good thing is there is, there isnt much dialog to watch or a lot of grinding to do. Just a bunch of walking that can easily be skipped over during your lets play.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I cant imagine why they would want to make you listen to this owl in MM. Okay so you have 3 days to save the Hyrule. Lets spend 2 of them listening to this owl...

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
When he was a child, my English was in one word bad. Because of it, always it was happening several minutes reading what the Owl says, whenever he was asking if it is that wanted listen him again, I pressing yes, thinking that this yes, was in order that it went away XO

Negi, in MM, the story take place in Termina, no in Hyrule

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol, I learned to read by playing Zelda games.
In MM it's a different owl and he teaches you the song of soaring without a long lecture so he's okay.

I took Negi's advice and tried Wolf again, he's going to be my main second. Never learn a character on wifi. Now my Link's playing worse, ugh tradeoffs.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Lol, I learned to read by playing Zelda games.
In MM it's a different owl and he teaches you the song of soaring without a long lecture so he's okay.

I took Negi's advice and tried Wolf again, he's going to be my main second. Never learn a character on wifi. Now my Link's playing worse, ugh tradeoffs.
I like Wolf, he's a ton of fun.

Haha, and are you trying to say that you're Link's worse because of learning him on wifi, or because of Wolf? I think (from my pretty limited experience) using Link on wifi hides a lot of his weaknesses, and I think he's actually a legitimately good character on wifi. In particular, a good spamming game is nearly impossible to get through on wifi due to the opponent being unable to reliably power shield, gimping being harder to do, etc. If you're not careful it can mess up your timing or trick you into thinking moves are more reliable offline than they really are.

Stick with it, Rizen. Learning more characters makes you a better player overall, imo.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Negi, in MM, the story take place in Termina, no in Hyrule
Meh i could care less...

Anyway. Theres no reason why playing one character should drastically affect your playing another character. I shift through like 7 characters, a different one after each match, and it doesn't really phase me at all. I think all you really need to do is understand that each character has to be played differently to be effective.

Wolf probably seems better than Link purely because the way you play Link is actually more of a way to play wolf. Link's smashes have a really laggy ending while wolf's are fairly safe to spam whenever you want.

I still believe that Link needs to use as little smashes as possible (aside from Fsmash 1) to play well competitively. Unless the smashes are part of a true combo like grab release>Dsmash on Lucas or when you are actually going for a kill. It usually tends to greatly increase Link's speed in general and increase his overall kill potential. With someone as clunky as Link, one hit could be game deciding. Its better if that hit can be as strong as possible IMO.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like Wolf, he's a ton of fun.

Haha, and are you trying to say that you're Link's worse because of learning him on wifi, or because of Wolf?
No, I mean you (the player) must be comfortable with a character offline before you can effectively use them on wifi. The lag really hurts if you aren't familiar with how a character functions and it's terrible for learning.
Wolf's fun:laugh:
Anyway. Theres no reason why playing one character should drastically affect your playing another character.
I never said that. I was just commenting on the irony of having a bad day with Link and a good day with wolf.
Wolf probably seems better than Link purely because the way you play Link is actually more of a way to play wolf. Link's smashes have a really laggy ending while wolf's are fairly safe to spam whenever you want.

I still believe that Link needs to use as little smashes as possible (aside from Fsmash 1) to play well competitively. Unless the smashes are part of a true combo like grab release>Dsmash on Lucas or when you are actually going for a kill. It usually tends to greatly increase Link's speed in general and increase his overall kill potential. With someone as clunky as Link, one hit could be game deciding. Its better if that hit can be as strong as possible IMO.
Wolf is better than Link.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about smashes. They're safer on wifi for sure. Link has so many kill moves and lag on most moves that I use smashes for damage rackers if that's a good option. Link has Zair and projectiles to freshen moves; in my opinion smashing on wifi is often the best option so I might as well use them. Usmash is a damage builder anyway. Offline is a different metagame where I'd agree with you more but I only play wifi. My offline/wifi styles are very different.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wolf's smashes are safer, but they aren't safe on block exactly, Fsmash is good because it punishes commitment with a fast move, and some nice reach, Dsmash works for nice fast kills, Usmash is mostly just OoS and used for a DACUS, but on block eh, they are punishable.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The way i play Online and offline are nearly the same, weirdly enough. Playing an aggressive mid-range Link seems to work out perfectly fine regardless of lag or not.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Mid-range is good.
Offline my edge guards, gimps, OoS and ledge hops are a lot better. I use more Zairs/jab cancels, less grabs/Smashes/DACs/Dairs and play more passively. My spamming is slightly farther spaced but still aggressive.
Wifi I am more aggressive, smash/Fair/Bair more, Zair less, spam closer and am more passive off stage. I move less too, which is bad. And, of course, DI/PSing is worse.
This is based on vs CPU battles and when I actually went to tourneys a couple years ago. I miss the offline scene:(.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, I'm lawlscrubawful on wifi.

Honestly, I always felt like Wolf was better in the air, spacing with bair and fair (which autocancels out of a short hop btw and has Marth fair-like range, great move) and his laser (although his smashes, in particular usmash OoS or DACUS and dsmash were good; fsmash was okay but it's SDIable and seemed less safe than the other two). I dunno if I was using him right, but that's how I always felt.

Was gonna go to a tourney this coming Saturday down in Florida, but I have no way to practice, am hella rusty (I don't think I've played vBrawl since my last tourney maybe? Stupid finals, haha), and we're going to be moving our stuff to another resort at the same time that the tourney would be going on. Sucks too; I dunno if ESAM would be there since I dunno what part of Florida he is, but I've wanted to chat with him, since I've heard he was considering going to my Alma Mater for college (ESAM back home to get tourneys set up and good people to come to the area? Yes please.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I probably just suicide less offline.

Is your online connection that terrible?
Yeah, being away from big cities and the rocky mountains make it terrible. Most of my connections are orange or red:urg:
Honestly, I always felt like Wolf was better in the air, spacing with bair and fair (which autocancels out of a short hop btw and has Marth fair-like range, great move)
Fair doesn't landing cancel but still is great. I want to see its hitbubbles but can't find them.

Good Luck with your tourney. CPU practice is better than nothing.

I drew Zelda:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah, being away from big cities and the rocky mountains make it terrible. Most of my connections are orange or red:urg:

Fair doesn't landing cancel but still is great. I want to see its hitbubbles but can't find them.

I drew Zelda:
All my connections are Red for the most part. Color doesn't really mean good or bad. I had blue connections with other hawaii people that are utterly terrible. And red connections with Cali that are amazing. Color only seems to be effected by distance rather than actually connection speed.

If you need a better connection. I suggest getting cable if you dont have it, and using a Lan Adaptor. Wireless is terrible and you can receive interference from other devices.

Also the zelda pic looks pretty good. Though my only critique is that her hair at the top of her head doesn't seem to match up with her eyes. The hair to me suggests shes looking straight ahead while her face shows her looking to the side. Other than that its pretty good.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol, thanks.

I have a wired connection but it's routed to another computer too. My net could be higher speed. There's almost always bad button lag.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

I drew Zelda:
Haha, I think fair is like Ganon's dair in that you have to time it nearly perfectly, but it's great using it retreating if you can manage it. I know it does autocancel though, I do it all the time.

I looked and there's definitely no way I'm making it to that tourney; that's the same time we're all packing up everything.

Haha, Ryos with the art technique, dude knows what he's talkin' bout. Nice Zelda btw.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Actually, it turns out we have another car down here now, and it'll be in between the two time shares. So I might be able to go. We'll see though, I'm still super rusty.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, if I go and they have the setups I'm gonna have to. We're getting kicked out of our timeshare around 10 and the tourney registrations start at 11 I think. Singles starts at 3 and I don't know if I'm going yet or not so getting a teammate would be tricky, so I'll likely sit out dubs. I'd try to get some practice in then I think.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
You know when ever I see a pic of Link i cant help but wonder where the hell he keeps all his items. The least Nintendo could do is have a sort of bag on him, pockets, utility belt, something.

I can only imagine him dragging around a wagon behind him full of all his crap.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I was actually thinking of what it would be like if Link was faster. I imagine Link being very good if he had the good traits of both Link and Toon Link.

Link: Long range and power of his sword, Heavy, Good MC and DI, Zair, powerful bombs, fast arrows, and Gale Pull boomerang.

TL: Faster sword attacks, jumping ability, jumping height, recovery, return boomerang hit and larger, floaty arrows.

He would probably be high mid tier at the very least, possibly even low high tier. I can only assume the only thing holding TL back is his light weight, short range, and semi low power.

Top Bottom