• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It definitely lived up to the hype, I'll say that.

Though ****, fighting Ghirahim made my arm tired.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
IMHO, it didn't just live the hype, it surpassed all other LoZ games. SS is the best Zelda to date hands down. Though, I do have to add a little disclaimer. OoT was never my fav LoZ game, and now it isn't even in my top 3.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I personally don't compare certain "groups" too much. Different things they give. I generally seperate Zeldas into 2D and 3D for top 3 lists... Like nothing compares to AoL, FSA, or LttP for me, but I still love MM, WW, and now SS.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
That's actually a very interesting and valid line of thought, since both styles have completely different mechanics. You cannot hope to be immersed by a 2D top down game such as MC as you would be by a completely 3D third person cinematic game, such as SS.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
*Mysterious re-emergence*

Sup guys. Skyward Sword is pretty super amazing. On a scale of 1 to Ocarina of Time, I'd give it a 9.

Also I'm as rusty as the piping on an old public school toilet at Brawl. I might need to pop it in and play some.

*Mysterious disappearance*
DON'T LEAVE HUGGLES.

I don't think I'll get Skyward Sword, I don't even play vidya games too much anymore. Even then I don't have any consoles with me in college.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thread's active today :) .
I also take into account when a game was made. If SS and MM were made at the same time SS would win in almost every way. But since MM's over a decade older, I like it at least as much as SS. Maybe more.
This sounds weird but I might like TP slightly better than SS. The graphics won me over. SS and TP are hard to compare because they have very different dynamics and styles of, well about everything. SS's strict level by level world put me off, jump here for Elden>volcano base>ascent>Earth Temple... I like the freedom TP gave with their overworld.
SS+TP would be the (almost) perfect Zelda but both have their different individual flaws.

It's hard to say which I like better, apples/oranges.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13870651&postcount=3462

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah we spoke about this on aib already Rizen (I'm, Elessar btw). And I think that, while a valid way of measuring games, it can be tricky, since then by definition th ebest Zelda ever would be Zelda classic since it achieved so much with so little.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Honestly for me the best Zeldas have always been the ones that have tried something brand new, completely out of nowhere. Like... Ocarina of Time was the best possible adaptation of Zelda to 3D. Everything was fantastically done. The traditional puzzles were all there in some form or another.

But then... AoL was a platformer take, with lots of difficulty, radically different puzzles from the rest of the series, and the soundtrack definitely set a different tone. LttP brought nearly everything we know and love in the series. The advent of chests, complicated puzzles, dual overworlds, and the exploration that would become a mainstay throughout the entire series. FSA took what FS began and made an entire adventure out of it, and I would argue if I had to pick one, is the single best Zelda of all time, simply by virtue of being a full Zelda game with multiplayer.
MM took everything you knew about puzzles in the series and turned it on its head, in the case of one dungeon literally. I honestly don't think any Zelda to date has matched the dungeon design of MM. WW and SS just both shed so much light on the story of the series as a whole imo, even if WW's timeline ultimately leads to Hyrule being left and forgotten. SS just brought so much new, I'd say it revitalized the series as a whole.

I can't wait to see what Zelda 3DS brings to the table. Odds are it won't have janky touch screen controls so it should be interesting.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Please let it not have the PH or ST controls, but ones like OoT 3Ds does.

Also, I agree with what you said about every game, but when it comes to Zelda, I usually go, when choosing my favorite, by which bonded with me emotionally. Which one has the most moving story, characters, storytelling, etc. Puzzles are secondary, personally, when I play a Zelda I look for an engaging story, much like reading a book. An every zelda has found one way or another to do that despite the hardware limitations of the time, like, classic Zelda was simply the sheer size of the world, and the sense of awe every time you discovered something new. I remember playing that game and going, literally, around the entire map burinig every single bush and bombing every piece of rock I could find in hopes of finding something new. That, couple with the absurd non linearity (sp?) of hte game make it awesome. By my 4th run through it, I would get the sword and go straight to lvl 8 to get the master Key so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of findings keys anymore. Or else, the swordless runs.

For me, Zelda is about YOU, your game, your game style, your story, and I think that the Zelda which has come closest to the, besides Classic Zelda, is SS with the new customization and upgrade system, where, even if we both do 100% completition, my Link will still be different than yours.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah we spoke about this on aib already Rizen (I'm, Elessar btw).
Oh. I didn't realize that. 'Good to have you here too:).

I think a SS-like multiplayer battle would be a cool extra. A little like wii sports resort sword fights but more free range, maybe online. I've actually thought something like that since the Shadow Link duel in OoT.
Speaking of which, is it me or in games when an enemy vanishes don't they always land on top of or right behind you?

The best things from Zelda II are Smash Link's Uair and Dair aka finishing blow.

My first play through of LoZ: "I bet that cave above the waterfall has something good, I just need to kill the blue goat... :eek:>:skull:, WTF?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When it comes to story the most moving Zeldas for me are MM, LA, and then SS, WW, and TP, in no particular order.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If you aren't playing it on >16 bit system, you're playing zelda wrong.

I miss the days when you have to bomb/candle every single rock/tree just so you have to pay someone 50 rupees to rebuild their home.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I used to HATE having to pay them, but I miss it too. Anyways MegaRobMan, I agree with you, but we won't be going back to that. Games aren't that hardcore anymore.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
That's why I'm playing Rom Hacks.

After I beat all like 80 Mega Man hacks (I'm up to like 30 something in less than a month) I'm gonna find some LOZ, Ninja Gaiden and Contra hacks.

I'm like 4 seconds off the world record in Contra on a good day, so obviously I need a new challenge.

btw the 4 seconds is an eternity to drop, I've tried.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I've recently played Megaman X again in ROM, beat it 100% in 3 hours and it felt SO good. Devs just don't make platformers like that one anymore, just like they don't make adventure games like LoZ classic anymore.

*Put's on nostalgia tinted glasses*

There's just no school like old school...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Did they redo the bosses or just the level design?

There are some mega man rom hacks that have taken me DAY to beat. (no S). However, Deus Ex Machnia I haven't beaten yet, that game is too ****ing hard for me to play without learning to perfect the bosses (the way they stack damage with bosses is like not even fun).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
No, I mean just a good old ROM, not a hack. Which is to say, the original MMX.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It's just like how the world cannot exist without pure evil, when the true evil is slain, he will rise again to counter balance the void left and let it swing over to the greater power, the triforce of Wisdom.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So Nintendo released an official timeline for all the Zelda games. One of the timelines is where, in OoT, Ganon actually wins and kills Link.

LIES
Quotes from... somewhere...
The problem I see is the path 'Link is killed by Ganon in OoT...'. Has ANYONE ever lost to OoT's Ganon? I guess someone must have...
My ex girlfriend... she was special and thought that the biggoron sword could kill Ganon.

Protip: it can't

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'd like to know though, are you certain that the defeat timeline is Ganon actually killing Link? Like, does it state that?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I suppose it is possible that Ganon wins, gets the pieces of the Triforce, gets ready to kill Link, and then changes his mind and says, "Awww, you're just so adorable. Alright, ya little rascal, off ya go, but don't let me catch you playing in my castle constructed of pure malice and hatred again." Since that is something Ganon may very well do.

Oh wait.

I suppose Link could have died earlier on in the storyline and Ganon gets the Triforce, but odds ain't looking too good for our hero of time surviving that timeline. I'm not sure what it actually says since I think it's in Japanese and was fan translated.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^
http://www.warpzoned.com/?attachment_id=16729

I think the timeline takes too literal of an approach. Zelda games are legends as shown in their title: The Legend of Zelda... (except Zelda 2). Legends don't have to connect properly or be historically accurate. Several Zelda games could be the same story but told by different people over generations. Like ALTTP is basically the same story as TP but told with the light and dark worlds separate, or vise versa. What's the point of trying to find/invent logic in legends?
I didn't mean every game is based on one legend, OoT/MM are part of the same line, as are Zelda/Zelda2, and WW/PH/STracks (I assume). It's more like there are a few foundation legends that could be mixed/told differently/etc, like WW line/L's Awakening/sort of the Oracle of Seasons/Ages all could be in on line of myths. Zelda1&2/TP/ALTTP/OoT&MM/Four Swords Adventures, could be another. IDK what minish cap's about. SS does look like the first legend that doesn't fit with others.
It would have made more sense if the game makers had taken this approach instead of trying to sew everything together word-for-word. Even though they didn't so my logic doesn't apply.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thing is that creating a timeline for Link being defeated sounds so...random, that's it. It'd make more sense to have a third timeline created when Zelda returns Link to his childhood, but in a different timeline. In fact, I think I read that somewhere.

escro

Smash Ace
the third split where Link gets defeated does appear to be quite random and also unnecessary at first, but upon reading this article i think it makes a little more sense, and ultimately i belive that nintendo did a good job of it, although it will take a lot of time to fully accept.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/0...plit-in-the-official-zelda-timeline.html#more

it talks of the third split as a "hypothetical situation" rather than "when this happens", also staying true to the "legend", thus, the "retelling" of the stories.

good read, check it out.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
GG's in Link Dittos Red Ryu.

Also I didn't know this

Link Hide
Tutu 105.3
Y.b.M. 79.2
MegaRobMan 50
ALSM 12

This number would be higher if they included MK banned tournaments by like 200 :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
How this explains it is almost identical to my opinion but with one big difference:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/0...plit-in-the-official-zelda-timeline.html#more
"We need to understand, that unlike the original two-arcs, the third arc is a hypothetical. It is a "if Link fails" this is what would happen."
"Both alternate adult arcs make an emphasis on how the events leading to them are lost in time, surviving only on the wind's breath. The more you look into it the more you will discover that the two are invariably different tellings of the one story."
"While Nintendo's release of the official timeline is them ultimately admitting that the story can't fit into one single in-universe continuity, Aonuma asks that we keep an open mind and remember that the series is, after all, called 'The Legend of Zelda'."
Me:
I think the timeline takes too literal of an approach. Zelda games are legends as shown in their title: The Legend of Zelda... (except Zelda 2). Legends don't have to connect properly or be historically accurate. Several Zelda games could be the same story but told by different people over generations. Like ALTTP is basically the same story as TP but told with the light and dark worlds separate, or vise versa. What's the point of trying to find/invent logic in legends?
It would have made more sense if the game makers had taken this approach instead of trying to sew everything together word-for-word. Even though they didn't so my logic doesn't apply.
<><><><><>
*"Because let's face it, as much as the timeline makes perfect sense, some people do wrongly see it as a cop-out."
The timeline makes "perfect sense" because "the third arc is a hypothetical" and "Now while this concept does leave more to be desired on the specifics of what causes a time rift..."
Now THAT's a cop-out. It's easy to put anything in if you say 'hypothetically what if this happened' and/or 'on an alternate time rift...'.
My main point again is What's the point of trying to find/invent logic in legends?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Tbh, I always liked mine. They're all unrelated, kinda like FF.

Then again, some games outright deny that by being linked (as WW's intro for instance).

In any case, I don't worry about the timeline tbh.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
lol That blackout was pretty fierce here. Not many other sites had a complete site shutdown.

Wikipedia did the same thing, however they made it so you could get rid of that SOPA/PIPA splash screen.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It makes sense for the most part to me. The big thing is the "Hero is Defeated" line just looks like a way to glue the older games into the storyline that really started with OoT (as do the Minish Cap and Four Swords games). OoT, MM, TP, WW, and Skyward Sword all make a lot of sense where they are (as do Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks I guess but I don't see those as "main" games in a sense).

Also, finally beat Skyward Sword. Really good game. I'd say more but don't wanna give away any spoilers.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Now try Hero mode! I'm sporadically playing it and just placed the amber tablet. Quick warning: get hit+fall into lava= -4 hearts (ouch). Sit when you can.

After playing other characters vs Link I've learned that bombs are Link's best defense, better than Zair even. Using bombs as much as possible and getting them onstage will improve Link's performance. (Exceptions are vs Olimar and Snake, but bombs should still play a role in Link's spacing/traps.)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I wasn't that impressed, tbh. Once Wario got into killing % he just ran away from him. WHY? I don't think I saw more than 1 Dair that entire video. I know that I dair more than anyone ever, but Links U-tilt has godly range and kills and is a pretty quick move especially against Wario/aerial characters.

Rayboy

Smash Rookie
Sorry for that maybe noob question:

How can i spike with dtilt?

I ve tried in training mode, at 1/4 speed, with friends...
All i got was a meteor from the ledge with one of ice climber (both hanging on the ledge) and a lucky spike of peach
Didn't find a tutorial anywhere so pls tell my :c

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It's a certain hitbubble with lower priority than the rest of the attack.

Basically, you have to hit them with Link's hand or the hilt of the sword but not the sword. There's a picture of the actual hitbubble somewhere around here.

Realistically, don't try it. You will never get it off in a real match.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Just look at #2, the yellow hitbubbles will spike but only if a blue hitbubble doesn't connect too. (Red's the approximate hurtbox.) With ledge snaps and Dtilt's poor spiking area arrangement/slow speed it's best to not bother trying in serious matches. Like Huggles said.

Top Bottom