• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rayboy

Smash Rookie
Yea it's just... some say u must hit with the tip off the sword, some say with the hand, u say with Link's head (o.O)
I'll try a little bit more in training mode and give ya my results :)
But the pic is awesome :awesome:

@huggles
U mean one from the Hitbubble-thread?
That's too messy for me. Can't even get any information out of it...
I only try it sometimes when enemy is recovering: AA-Jab + Dtilt
When i hit him he flys... up

Rizen

Smash Legend
Like Zelda's Dair, Link's Dtilt won't activate the spike if the opponent is grounded. Those are the right Dtilt hitbubbles, taken strait from the game's programing. Other parts are approximate.

Some Links suggest rolling backwards to the ledge and spiking with Link's torso hitbubble. This makes him vulnerable though.
Other ways to connect with the spike are to Dtilt as the opponent's falling down to the ledge (like when DDD overshoots but won't land onstage/any upB that rises above the ledge, some planking, or more commonly when the opponent wants to fall to the ledge rather than land and risk punishment). Since the sword yellow spikebubble is higher than the blue tip one it can reach offstage and hit this way.
Or since the sword spike bubble is lower than the arm blue bubble, you can spike recoveries going up through pass-through platforms (where there's no ledge to grab) like the moving left part of Frigate, Delfino, several places on Rainbow Cruse, start of Halberd, Brinstar, ...that's all I can think of ATM. The problem is timing/spacing the spike is very precise and difficult and most sharking characters will hit you first. Bomb/Dair is much easier/less risky.
On slanted stages Dtilt's hitbubbles will slant too.

escro

Smash Ace
the area you need to use to spike will differ for some characters, thats why people tell you different things.
there was a video on how to dtilt spike, along with many hitbubble pics, but i cant remember where exactly on the boards it was...
it was different to the pic that Rizen posted, tho.

another way you could try doing it is to jab cancel-> dtilt when your opponent is off the ledge, such as if they were recovering, but it'd be more luck than skill if you were able to pull it off.

Rayboy

Smash Rookie
U can take such pics from the game? (holy technology \o/)
Oh i meant Jab Cancel (so i wrote 2 As) but i didnt get the word...

To the different Chars: Do u know some Chars who are difficult/easy to spike?
Just from experience?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^There is a hack that makes the game show the hitbubbles. I took that picture and photoshop-ed it to make the spike bubbles more clear.

DDD comes to mind. his big, puffy, slow midair jumps rise into the spike. Sometimes ROB makes himself vulnerable when sharking with Nair because its slow start but I haven't actually spiked him that way.

Most characters, if not all, are difficult to spike unfortunately.

Sometimes I will jab cancel Dtilt if the opponent shields because it has better shield push-back than jab3 and ends faster than grab/Dsmash if they spotdodge the last hit.
Also occasionally (rarely) this spikes the opponent to the ground if they're being jabbed out of the air; then Link can quickly follow with a Dsmash. It's very unlikely that they will teck.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Every Link has a different style and different complaints about Link's moves. I don't like Link's Uair because of his horrible air game and i used to think it was his worst move because i barely used it. While i'll admit that Dtilt is hard to make use of, it still can be used. Dtilt can shieldpoke better than Link's Dsmash for some reason, making it Link's best shield poke move. It also can help your juggles cause you can catch opponents who are landing offgaurd by swiping their feet and sending them back upward. Dtilt also has almost as much range as Link's first jab, which has more range than D3's grab. Thats alot of range if you compare that to other characters. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having that much range on their Dtilt. Its starting lag is medium and its ending lag is medium but its safe on shield if hit by the tip.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree with Huggles about Dtilt. A nice thing about Link, that also makes him harder to play too, is Link has no useless moves. There is a time and spacing for everything although some moves are used much more often than others. Dtilt's my least used move but I do use it occasionally for reasons Beat said and I posted earlier + to keep Dsmash fresh. It's more of a less-risk-less-return Dsmash for jab cancels. Dtilts that launch up don't have any good follow ups because the angle and they're very hard to spike with.
Dtilt's frame data is:
Attacks frames 12-14 for 12% damage, frame 31 IASA.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yep, much like Wolfs D-tilt vs D-smash, it's a great mix up for people who are anticipating something much longer lasting and try to grab or roll behind, along with the Shield poke.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
OK guys, for reals, I understand our General Discussion board is called "Le Lazy Lurking...." and all but 10 days is ridiculous.

NEW TOPIC. Skyrim is an amazing game because you can have facial hair, you can kill dragons by jumping on their head and using your war axe to chop their neck, and you can yell people off mountains. Discuss.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I haven't played it, only owning a wii :( . It looks really kick-***.

Since I can't contribute I'll add something else. 2 games that were really awesome and ground-breaking but didn't get much publicity are Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (Game Cube) and Lost in Shadow (Wii).
I wish someone would make a Metal Arms sequel for the wii or wiiU because it was such an awesome non-conventional 3rd person shooter that actually was challenging. I <3 the wii's aiming system; it really improved the Metroid Prime trilogy. MA:GitS was one of the few games made by Americans that wasn't sports, Super heroes, Starwars or a c****y movie spin off.
Lost in Shadow had a beautiful realistic yet mysterious style (often what wins me over) and the story wasn't spelled out for you. In fact it was only told by a few video sequences and collecting memories. The different experiences from different memories kept me second guessing until very near the end. And the main bad guy was one of the most original, coolest antaganists ever. LiS was one of the few games that really had an original premise; a 2D yet also 3D platformer/puzzle/slightly fighter game without changing dimensions like Super Paper Mario. Very few games are truly origional anymore (Wii sports, Kirby Canvas Curse, ...) so it's nice to see fresh ideas.
I highly recommend both games if you can find them.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Play Metal Slug.

Or Metal Gear.

Or Metal Storm.

In other news, there's gonna be a local this weekend, probably gonna go Link and Ness, no Wolf unless Tyser enters. (He plays D3...it shows how terrible all of my high tier characters are when I have to switch to WOLF to counter D3, lol, +3 matchup.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good luck!

PS
Brin, BF, and Japes (stay on the right) are great for Link vs CGers. People often ban Brin so keep Japes in mind, Link does very well there. Falco's CG ends at 56% IIRC, then you can Zair him. PS1's the best starting neutral if you don't know who your opponent will pick.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Play Metal Slug.

Or Metal Gear.

Or Metal Storm.

In other news, there's gonna be a local this weekend, probably gonna go Link and Ness, no Wolf unless Tyser enters. (He plays D3...it shows how terrible all of my high tier characters are when I have to switch to WOLF to counter D3, lol, +3 matchup.)
MegaRobMan likes Metal games apparently.

I switch to Wario to counter D3 :awesome: Although I suppose I could always try Peach since iirc she actually has a neutral mu against him.

And Rizen: Skyrim is a pretty cool game that doesn't afraid of anything. I recommend buying it, making a character, finding a giant, and provoking it while still level 1.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Those giants are ****ed!!! I was like, lol I'ma shoot it from up on this cliff just to tick it off, and then it decided that the cliff was in fact a mere step and proceeded to launch me into outer-space with one ground pound. 0_o
bugger it all XD.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
OK guys, for reals, I understand our General Discussion board is called "Le Lazy Lurking...." and all but 10 days is ridiculous.

NEW TOPIC. Skyrim is an amazing game because you can have facial hair, you can kill dragons by jumping on their head and using your war axe to chop their neck, and you can yell people off mountains. Discuss.
I agree, Skyrim is amazing.

I played it for five minutes and I completely fell in love with that game. lol

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
What systems is Skyrim on?
XBox 360, PS3, and PC.

I have the graphics almost all the way dumbed down to play it on my laptop and it's still beautiful. I always feel incredibly manly when I get the killing blows on things, haha.
Those giants are ****ed!!! I was like, lol I'ma shoot it from up on this cliff just to tick it off, and then it decided that the cliff was in fact a mere step and proceeded to launch me into outer-space with one ground pound. 0_o
bugger it all XD.
I ran into a giant about 20 minutes after getting Lydia as a Huscarl. We fought a giant. Then Lydia was gone. Not just dead. She was GONE. Then I found out what was over the mountain range next to the giant camp. Seriously, forget dragons. I killed Alduin in like 5 seconds flat. But giants....

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I just stay on the ground and never let Jigglypuff get me in the air or challenge in the air. I tend to use a lot of Ftilt and Utilt in the MU since they out-range a lot of Jigglypuff's SH attacks

Rizen

Smash Legend
Random can be fun :) .
As a player, you get to a point where you can play characters even the ones you never use (or fake it enough to get by). But if the opponent's good with their character and knows the MU it can mean big trouble. Some stages can really hurt or help random character choices so there's more luck than just the character. I only go random in friendlies.

Trivia:
What game did this come from:
"For your reference today you will have:
Big trouble."

Rizen

Smash Legend
You got it ;) . Lol, on the SNES version when I got the big trouble fortune I would throw more rupees to change my luck. I don't think the fortune affects the gameplay.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I assumed it affected item appearance rates too but have never confirmed anything. I used to be more compulsive and do stuff like leave with "Great Luck" or grab hearts/rupees that appeared even if I didn't need them.

BTW, 'Fox Is Openly Deceptive' with that avatar is one of the best titles out there.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If all this attention was just a way to get me posting here more often, then apparently it worked.

I've been going back and playing all these old games lately that I'd never gotten around to, like the first three zelda games to come out. (The first is really freaking hard only because finding where you're supposed to go is impossible, the second is really weird and the fighting system takes a bit of getting used to, the third is actually really good except that the bosses including the last boss are pretty free.) Anyway, I just finished golden sun 2, having played the first one ages ago and having completely forgotten about 2's existence, only to find out there is a 3, made in 2010. I am so out of the loop now. I used to stay on top of these things.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ah, the memories. Back in the good old days when videogames were actually challenging. To be fair a few new games are challenging. A large part of why I like smashbros is it challenges me. DK Country Returns had that old-school challenge element. The majority of games feel like 'been there, done that' unfortunately. Like the new super mario bros for example. But the wii has several ways to keep things fresh and the wiiU looks promising.

Top Bottom