• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
MK's are banned now though :p

so recently i got bored/tired of link always being so bad so i switched my main (link) with my secondary (wolf). for some reason i get the feeling that ive accomplished more with wolf in a week than i could have with link in a month.

do you guys ever feel like giving up link for a better/easier character?
what keeps you motivated to keep maining him?
MK's legal on the AiB ladder:facepalm:.

He's freaking Link! (inside joke) I like Link's playstyle, it's extremely complex and spacing oriented. He just was downplayed or whatever too much in the programing.
A few changes would make Link compatible:
Reduce lag, start and ending, on most moves (some more than others)
Increase horizontal air movement speed a bit.

With these^ changes alone Link could be used competitively.
I would also:
Increase launch power and damage slightly for some attacks
raise both jump heights slightly
raise air spin attack's length and have it generate horizontal momentum if directed
extend Zair tether length slightly
slightly extend hitbubble duration for some moves (like instead of 2 frames for each Fair cut have 3 or 4).
Make ground spinattack hitbubbles appear on the energy trail that surrounds Link (not just his sword) and increase their vertical reach.
Add short wind push to Dair's landing lag (like TLink's)
Make Dair start slowfalling even if started when Link's dropping
Ground spin should have 4 separate hits (not 1 blockable hit). The first would semispike, the rest would loose damage and power but all would launch out (unlike TLink's)
Make arrow charge holdable (like Sheik's needles)
Allow Link to pull bombs in hitstun. This would stop CGs but still allow them to deal significant damage before the bomb explodes.
Slightly increase boomerang's movement speed, have wind affect shields but not very much and increase wind strength
Slightly increase arrow and bomb damage and extend their hit bubble to reach a little lower so the don't fly over small opponents like Olimar
Increase Link's Hylian shield size and make him not drop his guard while standing.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^
A few changes would make Link compatible:
Reduce lag, start and ending, on most moves (some more than others)
Increase horizontal air movement speed a bit.

With these^ changes alone Link could be used competitively.
^Those are all he would need. Lag reduction is a major improvement though.
The rest of the changes are more about me stating little things I'd change to make him the 'perfect Link'.

With the first 2 changes Link would probably be a high-mid tier.

Link actually has better spacing tools than Wolf. His Fair/Bair are both disjointed and rival Marth's. Why Link loses so hard is he's really slow with attacks and has terrible mobility.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Wolf's fair and bair are pretty awesome themselves.

Link is the man. That's all you need to know to play him. Plus I just like his playstyle.

I play Link except in his really hard MUs, where I usually switch to Wario. Sometimes I use Peach or Wolf.

I know of only one change that would make Link top tier: make him invincible. That's right. Attacks against him do no damage and don't launch him at all. Bam. I win.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hey, I said TOP tier, not Broken Tier. You need to at least give your opponents a chance :awesome:

But for serious, even then you think D3 could take him? His edgeguarding's not so scary if none of his attacks work when you're off the edge :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
This is a strange direction for a conversation...

But for serious, even then you think D3 could take him? His edgeguarding's not so scary if none of his attacks work when you're off the edge :p
Grab>Dthrow>(repeat until Link's off stage)>jump off>suuuuuuuuck>fall a ways>spit>edgehog...plank and suuuck when Link approaches and puff under the stage if possible until time runs out.
Or on Delfino/Castle Siege etc, CG walk-off.
It's possible.

Wario's bite, Ganon's flame choke kamikaze, Kirby/DDD's suck and spit, Kirby's Bthrow stage glitch, Yoshi's Egg lay under the stage, Mario's Bthrow>FLUD>cape, squirtle's squirt, G&W's Uair off the top and Dthrow spike, Bowser's throw>side B kamikaze, MK's tornado off the stage top, Pit's throw>mirror shield flip>edgehog, another Link's throw boomerang into the stage>grab>Bthrow>Tether edgehog as wind returns, IC's/Yoshi's/Falco's/DDD's/Pika's CG stage walk-off...
All these have a chance to beat a Link who can't be damaged or launched but can be grabbed/thrown, turned and wind/water pushed, some characters would have to almost suicide then release Link and use their superior recoveries to survive, some would have to kamikaze 3 times. Every character who could gimp Link and have a stock advantage would need to run and time him out. This would be extremely hard, especially if the stage has no walk-offs but possible. Frigate would make it easier.

Or Link could SD/wifail and be timed out.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

Rizen said:
Wall o' text
So Link might have a few matches that are as bad as 90:10 in his favor. This wouldn't be a situation like the ICs where having to avoid their CG at all costs make everything else they do much better. This would be literally avoiding one move your opponent can use on you. If Link takes no damage from everything else in this absurd version of Brawl where Link is invincible, you really suck if you lose :awesome:

Rizen

Smash Legend
That's a great pic. I wouldn't even say the MUs would be that bad for Link, more like 99/1 Link because he could keep throwing a bomb above him>pull a 2nd>throw the bomb up> and repeat to stop CGs. All he'd need to do to win is deal 1%+ damage and bomb camp since the explosions couldn't hurt or launch him.
The closest thing to an armor frame grab is when Ganon flame chokes his choke and dropping animations have AFs, which doesn't affect anything.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Yo guys. Just popping in to say hey to everyone.

I've been fairly busy with college and I have also been playing several games recently. Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and another playthrough of Skyward Sword but on Hero Mode.

I also haven't been that much into the brawl scene too. I just haven't been that motivated to compete in any tournament. Mainly because I'm starting to give up on actually competing in brawl tournaments. lol

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'll get back into the tourney scene over the summer I'm thinking. I'm just tired of driving 12 hours total to go to a tourney since as a med student I don't have a ton of free time; next year I'll be within 2 hours of some good tourney areas so hopefully I'll be more active. But yeah, I know how the being a busy college student thing is, lol. I'm not gonna tell you you need to stick to Brawl either, but finding someone good to play against is always a good way to get better if you do wanna stick it out.

I've been playing Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS. A pretty good classic. Not as good as Symphonia but still really good :awesome: The 3D is craptastic in it though. Then again, it was in Mario 3D as well. The OoT remake is the only good 3D game I've seen on it yet.

So why'd we stop with our absurd implausible hypothetical discussion? Those are my favorite discussions!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm also popping into say hi. I don't get to play Smash these days. My hardrive full of about 30 Wii games got wiped out when my brother lent it to a friend who ended up formatting the hardrive thinking that it was the only way to read it. :glare:

The timing of my hardrive being wiped was really unfortunate because I really wanted to start playing Skyward Sword.

I feel like I'm growing out of games, these days the only game I play is Starcraft 2. I'm still pretty bad it. :urg:

We recently got Mario Party 9 which I really like, I want to play more of it with some friends and family, but you know how it is with everyone being busy.

I still can't believe Huggles is pranked.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
OH GEEZ IT'S SCABE HAI SCABE
I'm also popping into say hi. I don't get to play Smash these days. My hardrive full of about 30 Wii games got wiped out when my brother lent it to a friend who ended up formatting the hardrive thinking that it was the only way to read it. :glare:
That's... horrible. You should get back into Brawl! It also sucks that you lost your Wii games :awesome: But for reals... they won't let you redownload them? That's stupid :c
I feel like I'm growing out of games, these days the only game I play is Starcraft 2. I'm still pretty bad it. :urg:
Just like you suck at Brawl, right?
I've kinda been getting out of games for a while. Mostly just play classics, although I get a new game every now and then, like Skyrim. Although Skyrim is a manly game to play so I don't think it really counts. It's like Halo or Madden games :awesome:
We recently got Mario Party 9 which I really like, I want to play more of it with some friends and family, but you know how it is with everyone being busy.
Party games da bess. I also really like New Mario Wii and the new 4-player Kirby game whenever we can get a bunch of people to play it.

I still can't believe Huggles is pranked.
I've kinda been wondering about that myself... but I'm not complaining :awesome: I almost wonder if I'm like perma-pranked, haha.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
SCABE
GET BACK INTO SMASH, NOW.
please?
there are people who are dying to meet you and your Link
D:
I've been kinda wanting to play again against my brother, at the moment I'm having fond memories of doing bomb slides and DACUS. Do you ever play WiFi? Maybe we can play one day escro.

Yeah you make a good point Huggles I could definitely download the games again. I've been holding back on that thought since I was planning on getting a friend to give me all his games on his hard drive, he's got quite a bit of games that I use to have. Which saves a lot of bandwidth, but the problem is I hardly get to see the guy.

I'm in no real hurry to get them though, it's kinda like the last thing on my priorities.

Oh yeah I love 4 player games in general because I have 3 other brothers that live with me, so yeah it's always fun to fine a good four player game. I remember we played this game called Shining Soul (1 or 2) which was such an amazing game that was on GBA and 4 player. We didn't actually have 4 GBA's we just played it on an emulator. I think the game player was like Diablo.

escro

Smash Ace
i wifi sometimes with my friend although i prefer to play offline because of the lag problems. I'll definitely make an exception for you though :D

This might be a bit sudden but if you want to get back into the smash community, Luke and Ted are hosting a tourney at the end of this month. It'll be up here in Sydney so it might be quite a jump from your previous withdrawal from smash, but itd still be extremely awesome if you could attend.
No pressure. Just consider it? :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So why is this place dead? Why are all the threads so old? I wanna learn to play Link but there is nothing here >: (

escro

Smash Ace
Theres plenty of stuff to start off from for new Link's, it's just that they lose interest and dedication along the way and die off

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah Links like the most fun character to play.

Just start your own party dude, others will come.

Where's the brews?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Learning Link

So why is this place dead? Why are all the threads so old? I wanna learn to play Link but there is nothing here >: (
If you're quitting G&W because he loses to high tiers, you should reconsider learning Link; his good MUs are Ivy and Ganon.:urg:

But if you still want to learn him we'll be glad to help you out:). Good European Links are Afrotwist, Catepukee, Izaw (I think) and Mr.R. Probable others I missed. They might help you on wifi.

First rule about Link: LINK IS ALL ABOUT SPACING! Practice hitting with the tip of Link's attack reach. People often have the misunderstanding that they need to learn a million ATs to be good. Not true, in fact it will only hurt your progress at first. ATs to learn (GameCube controls):
*Anything with bombs:
Fsmash with a bomb: pull a bomb then hold 'Attack' during an animation where Link can't throw the bomb. Keep holding 'Attack' and tap 'C' forward to Fsmash without throwing the bomb.
Zair with a bomb: airdodge then press 'Grab' while holding a bomb.
Invincibomb: In the air with a bomb, press 'Dodge' and 'Attack' at the same time. Link will drop the bomb while airdodging. Similar to instant item throws except you are already holding the item and don't input a direction.
Footstool Bomb: Link has bad GTFO options his quickest escape if the opponent's right next to him is OoS SH toward the opponent and mash 'Jump'. Link will almost immediately footstool the opponent, even little guys like Olimar. If Link's holding a bomb he has a guaranteed down bomb throw which launches the opponent up and into Link's buffered Dair or Nair. This works unless their damage is very high.
Drop Bomb in the air and catch it with an attack or airdodge: Self explanatory. If Link is launched fast sideways he can throw his bomb backwards>start FFing and DIing back towards the stage>Bair to catch the bomb. This works at a wide range of damage%s but not all the time.
Learn to throw/drop bombs while moving: In my opinion air attacks and throwing bombs must be done with the 'C' stick. Link NEEDS to move one way and throw a different direction simultaneously.
*Locks:
The boomerang has a good trip rate if the opponent doesn't teck; this sets up several locks.
Arrow lock: trip the opponent with the boomerang and immediately shoot an uncharged/slightly charged arrow to hit their wobble motion. This forces a standup and the opponent can't roll or attack. Link get's a free hit, usually Fsmash, SpinAttack or SH Dair.
Jab lock: boomerang trip>immediately jab or Footstool Bomb>FF Nair>jab at low %s to start the lock. There might be other ways. Then just learn the timing to jab>walk forward a step>jab (repeat to the stage edge)> charge Fsmash.
*Whiplash: Characters with low sideways launching attacks (MK/Yoshi/Zelda/etc Dsmash) can put Link in an easy gimp place offstage. If you think an attack like that is coming, DI down and mash 'grab'. Link will airdodge>cancel it with a Zair>tether grab the ledge>reel in. Link's Zair starts with 5 frames where it's searching for a ledge to grab; if no ledge is detected in those frames then Zair attack will start on frame 10. So if Link's launched fast he covers a lot of distance in the ledge search frames and if a ledge is detected during that time he will tether it. This works best at mid to high %s and can hypothetically save Link at any damage, even 999%. Tethering the ledge cancels all momentum. This is a big reason why Links liked Norfair when it was legal, all those outer ledges.
*Zair Edgehoging: when grabbing a ledge tap away from the stage>Z>Z as fast as possible. this renews Link's invulnerability frames. Tethers will not grab the ledge more than 3 times until Link touches the ground again.
*DAC aka DACUS: Dash>C down>roll control stick up and press attack.
*Jab Cancel: A>A>crouch>grab/Utilt/start jabbing again or A>A>SpinAttack (the upB input makes this the easiest to do since the 3rd jab won't be triggered. A>A>Dsmash (no crouch for this). And all these can be done with 1 jab instead of 2.
*Anything ledge hopped.
*To momentum cancel DI strong up launches with Dair and other launches with Bair. Dair WILL help Link survive slightly longer.

There are others but those are the important ones.
Personally, I recommend not learning Link at this point in Brawl's metagame, but he's a character played for fun, not tons of wins, anyway.
Good luck;)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
LzR, you're on AiB a good bit too, right? Go to the Link forums there too. There's lots of good info. There was kinda a big mess that happened a few years back that really screwed up the Link boards, so it's hard to get consolidated info. Like Rizen said, there are a few ATs that you really need to learn but a lot of his ATs are fairly worthless. You also learn good DI pretty quick if you play him since he can live a long time if you DI right and don't get edgeguarded :awesome: Watch Legan in particular if you wanna learn how to play and space.

Good grief Rizen, huge wall o' text.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks people. And yes, I go to AiB sometimes but mostly to just upload tournaments, the forums are a bit scary. And @Rizen: Lol no I'm not gonna main Link LMAO. I quit G&W for ICs who are one of the best in the game. I just want to learn Link since everyone should have their own lowtier to play. I'm pretty good already, been using him for a few weeks now, just recently wanted to check out the boards too.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
LolIzaw

Yes I know all the techniques and stuff with with Link and I am a pretty competent player myself. I just still haven't figured out like why the hell would I ever used boomerang since it sucks and how could we attack OoS.

Top Bottom