• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
He'll rise one spot... since MK won't be on the list, so that removes another character from the game to be above Link :troll:

It may help some characters, but Link still has major problems. This isn't going to be as big a help as it will for characters like Peach, Pit, or Toon Link (and even some of the top tiers like Wario) who have decent MUs but get slaughtered by MK and therefore get slaughtered by 60% of the competition thanks to one lousy MU. I think the midtiers and lower high tiers have the most to gain from this.

Even without MK, Link is still going to have a ton of issues with threats like Falco and Dedede (who will both likely get a surge of players picking them up, since they're much more solid choices without MK to mess them up). It's hard to say getting rid of one death MU will give us a big boost when there are others that are just as bad. Even without MK around to bully people, someone still has to be bottom of the barrell. Most low tier characters, like Link, just have too much else to be worried about for one single bad MU being eliminated to really be a huge boost.

Characters who will probably get hurt are those who owe their placement to having a reasonable MU to MK (Diddy will probably drop back down below Snake, Fox and Wolf will probably drop a bit since they put up a fight against MK and that helps their placement a lot).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm 1,656 years old, a hermaphrodite turned transexual, and I live on the dark side of Pluto.

... ...Anyway, Wolf really covers the Olimar MU. It's kind of sad to see my Wolf and Zelda doing better in certain MUs than my Link. Link has to work so much harder than Wolf.

I'm depressed/can't sleep. This sucks:glare:.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I played Brawl for the first time in years yesterday.

didnotfeelgood

Then I played Melee for the first time in years yesterday.

feelssogood
Melee's better, except it doesn't have wifi.:urg:
You should talk with Cyner (though he never posts here), he's into Melee.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hi everyone...

Time no pass here! Well, with MK banned, i like to focus in some points; Link have decent match ups with much of Top/High, except Falco & DDD.

Even, the only other worst Match Up is Fox. All of this are cover with Kirby/Pikachu; so, i think Link is at least more payable right now!

What is your opinion guys?

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Idk, I always felt that Link had A LOT of trouble against most of the higher tiered characters. (Which a lot of people will pick since MK is completely out of the competitive scene)

There were probably be a lot more Falcos, D3s, and Diddy Kong users. Since I main Link, I might have to start training a secondary mid tier character for actual tournaments. I'll still use Link though. But only for low tier tournaments and friendlies.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Melee's better, except it doesn't have wifi.:urg:
You should talk with Cyner (though he never posts here), he's into Melee.
Well, there's always Project M if you want to play "Melee" online. I find it extremely fun since it opens to a new world of possibilities for Brawl characters.
Still, playing regular Melee is just as fun.

IYM!

Smash Lord
is time to do a post :)

I played Brawl for the first time in years yesterday.

didnotfeelgood

Then I played Melee for the first time in years yesterday.

feelssogood
dude, this happenesd to me 3 weeks ago, i droped smash and others games for a while for study reasons, and 3 weeks ago i played smash for first time XD

Hi everyone...
Time no pass here! Well, with MK banned, i like to focus in some points; Link have decent match ups with much of Top/High, except Falco & DDD.

Even, the only other worst Match Up is Fox. All of this are cover with Kirby/Pikachu; so, i think Link is at least more payable right now!

What is your opinion guys?
MK is banned in Chile ????

Rizen

Smash Legend
Idk, I always felt that Link had A LOT of trouble against most of the higher tiered characters. (Which a lot of people will pick since MK is completely out of the competitive scene)
Link's MUs:
:falco::dedede:Massacre MUs. 30/70 or worse.
:fox::olimar::dk2::kirby2::pikachu2::sheik:Murder MUs. 30/70 or 35/65
:wario::popo::diddy: Can be h*** sometimes.
:ike: Hard on wifi.
:urg:
There mostly 4/6 disadvantage MUs besides those; Link has it rough:c.
At least there's one less 7/3 disadvantage with MK banned. ^ these characters can be stage CPed (sort of) to make them easier. MK was terrible anywhere.
Well... nope... In chile MK is still legal... xd
:(

IYM!

Smash Lord
Well... nope... In chile MK is still legal... xd
Cresta :glare: .... bueno, almenos ya no se puede jugar con el en otros lugares, eso es un comienzo, ojala en chile lo bannen pronto, MK es estupidamente bueno.

i am dont know so much about tiers and how that work, i just know what the tiers mean, wihtout Mk, the tier list will be change?? and if that happend, it gonna be a big change or just a few change in somo positions?

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Now that MK is out of the competitive scene, I just feel that the higher tiered characters will change. Maybe some of the midtier but I'm not expecting much.

I was just tired of seeing MK everywhere.

rd1023

Smash Cadet
Hey, new casual player to the community here and I have a few questions

What is link's best out of shield option?

What is his most reliable ko move?

How far is the hookshot compared to melee?

Are arrows a viable option in matches (unlike melee where I never used them)

Thanks and sorry if I sound like a newb, I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of the game before I consider entering a tourney as a link main

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech

Thanks and sorry if I sound like a newb, I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of the game before I consider entering a tourney as a link main
1) I'm not sure what's the "best" OoS option for Link, but I do know that SH Bair is a good option. Maybe SH Nair? I'm not too sure.

2) Link's most reliable kill move is probably his Dsmash. Especially if it's a fresh Dsmash at a stage with a low ceiling (Battleship Halberd) Fsmash could kill at the edge of a stage at around 150% perhaps. Not too sure.

3) Link's Clawshot has gotten pretty short compared to his Hookshot in Melee. In fact, as a character in SSB in general, Link has gotten worse than his Melee counterpart. The only thing that has improved is that Link receives ZERO lag while he lands after using his Zair. If you want to pick up Link, you have to generously accept Link's weaknesses.

4) His arrows have gotten faster and have more of a horizontal knock back compared to his Melee arrows. Not to mention you can use the arrows to lock the enemy in place if they hit the ground without recovering. Also, Link's arrows in Melee were pretty useful. I have no idea why you haven't used them before. 0.o

A word of advice: If you do decide to pick up Link, learn the basics first (of course) then build from it as much as you can. You have to know a lot about Link. Basically learn what you can do and cannot do in certain situations. I'm still trying to improve as a Link main and I'm not really that great myself.

ALSO. The first thing you should do as a new Link main is to read this thread!

General Summary of Link's ATs, Combos, and Setups

It's very helpful for every Link main and it should show you a great deal of info about Link. I hope this helps you out.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Welcome :)

OoS: Probably SH Bair. SH Nair and retreating SH Zair (easy to do, kepp holding shield as you attack) are also good. You sometimes can footstool opponents OoS by mashing jump and angling the controlstick towards the opponent if they're right next to you. Jab/Utilt/Dsmash/grab can be good if the opponent is attacking with lag.

Reliable KO moves: This is arguable but my strategy is to use the best move for a given situation and not worry about keeping KO moves fresh, this includes building damage and KOing. Link has several good KO moves and should spam projectiles a lot so he will always have KO options fresh.
If the opponent's...
above: Utilt, and maybe Usmash
Above in the air: Dair, Fair, Uair
to the side: Fsmash, Fsmash2, Dsmash, Ftilt, SH Fair, Spin Attack
Gimping: Nair, Bair, arrows, boomerang.

Utilt's Link's safest KO move from the ground. Dair is the most reliable because it's so powerful. Everything's situational, unlike Wolf who uses Dsmash or Sonic who needs Fsmash or Bair, Link doesn't necessarily have specific KO moves.

I can't remember the clawshot/hookshot difference but I thinks Brawl's grab and Zair are shorter.

Arrows: Heck yeah, Link should use all 3 of his projectiles when spamming. Arrows can lead to arrow locks that let Link land KOing hits.

rd1023

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips everyone. I did play melee semi-competitively with link in a few local tourney's where I didn't do bad, but I failed to place in the top 5 every time. It's hard with link :/

I just picked up brawl and your right, link is much worse off than in meele, but its even more rewarding when you win :)

And I did not use arrows much in meele because link took way too long to draw them, unlike in brawl. The only real use I had for them before was to edgeguard opponents

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Thanks for the tips everyone. I did play melee semi-competitively with link in a few local tourney's where I didn't do bad, but I failed to place in the top 5 every time. It's hard with link :/

I just picked up brawl and your right, link is much worse off than in meele, but its even more rewarding when you win :)

And I did not use arrows much in meele because link took way too long to draw them, unlike in brawl. The only real use I had for them before was to edgeguard opponents
Ouch, you just picked up Brawl? Good luck trying to get to the transition from Melee to Brawl. Especially with Link since he shifted from mid tier to low tier. Also, try not to get discouraged when you go into tournaments. Link normally gets shut down by higher tiers, mainly D3 and Falco. (-_-' Two of Link's worst matchups) If you can learn the matchup then you might be able to overcome that "wall".

And you should use all of Link's projectiles in Melee.

I found them quite useful out of a full hop, retreating from the opponent. And you don't need to charge them fully. Just charge them enough the arrows where you want them to go.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Just spam boomerang and hope that someone gets trapped in it and Dair. I beat a metaknight with Link this weekend IN TOURNAMENT doing that, video at 11.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I've been maining Link since the game came out...but not usually in tournament, unless its LT. I can't help it that I'm better with Wolf.

Top Bottom