• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm making a negative combo video currently, and the majority of the matches are of my Link/Wolf/Ness, so I got to watch my skills from 10-11 and I'd say I've improved the most with Link over the last year (according to my replays).

And all I do just throw bomberangs and spam Dair/F-smash and Jab. But mostly dair.

I use dair whenever I'm more than a double jump height because it's a guarenteed trade with every move, (i.e. it keeps me safe) and unless it's a projectile or MK/Marth, they don't have a move that can hit me the second the box ends and I can throw a FF-nair before they can get to me. And who the hell picks Link against MK anyway?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I use dair whenever I'm more than a double jump height because it's a guarenteed trade with every move, (i.e. it keeps me safe) and unless it's a projectile or MK/Marth, they don't have a move that can hit me the second the box ends and I can throw a FF-nair before they can get to me.
Watch out for Uairs like Link's, TLink's, Ganon's and some others with long disjointed attacks, they'll hit before Dair if spaced right. Same goes for many Utilts and Usmashes.

Dair does keep you relatively safe from most characters; it's the landing lag that makes it dangerous. There's a [FONT=&quot] 'magic' distance[/FONT] from the ground where Dair cancels before hitting that's good to know.

Steam

Smash Hero
I played offline vs people for the first time in a few years:bee:. Man, Link has to work so hard to win it's ridiculous:mad:! I did well but didn't save any replays because they were friendlies. Link is better on wifi.
who you been playing? >.>

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I figured I should post a video of myself since you probably assume I'm bad and haven't actually won a LT tournament before, plus I'm self promoting a series of negative combo videos, and Link happens to be my favorite character!

All of you could watch part 2 and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but Arizen should for sure watch part 1/all of you should just watch all 4 videos, it's lolzy.

Wolf-Part 1

Link-Part 2

Ness-part 3

Community-Part 4

you're welcome.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^
Great Wolf Combos, I'll try to use these techniques.
I'll finish the Link one tomorrow. Good work making Falcon eat piranha plant, lol.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
^
Great Wolf Combos, I'll try to use these techniques.
I'll finish the Link one tomorrow. Good work making Falcon eat piranha plant, lol.
I thought you never slept and could watch videos forever and ever without tire.

:p The Link one is the most Lulzy.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
So I'm back in America. Sufferin' from jetlag.

How is everyone?
Sup Tery. Up and down summer for sure.

Younger people bounce back easier though, so hopefully it's not that bad. Dad used to go to Russia a lot for missionary work. He would usually just suck it up and stay up a full day, then go to sleep at a normal time. I've gone to England before on a trip, and it was less noticeable because after we got there we kept moving starting from early the first morning, so we were tired regardless of the time and ready to go to bed once we were done for the day.

So I guess the point is you could try being really active and forcing yourself to stay awake by doing stuff. Good luck man, hope it helps. Jet lag sucks.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Someone told me that if Diddy throws a banana at Link's shield, it is nonpunishable by Link. Can someone confirm this for me?

Oh yeah, that someone was Gnes.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Someone told me that if Diddy throws a banana at Link's shield, it is nonpunishable by Link. Can someone confirm this for me?

I think it depends on the distance when thrown, but yeah I can check later. I wouldn't doubt it being true considering Link's frame data.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I wish we had more activity :( . I found a completely useless AT that improves Link's UpB recovery distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8mX3vZduk&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s
the only time this would be useful is when you have no jumps left, and have your bomb explode on you or get hit by the acid/lava/? on norfair or brinstar but they're usually banned.

probably, link's fastest OoS options is 7-9 frames and his next two fastest (i think) are 9frames(jab) and 10(Dsmash) nonPSed and given the additional shield stun of the 'naners makes it a bit harder.Link's only options are to dodge or sit in his shield. I'm not sure, this is only off the top of my head.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
probably, link's fastest OoS options is 7-9 frames and his next two fastest (i think) are 9frames(jab) and 10(Dsmash) nonPSed and given the additional shield stun of the 'naners makes it a bit harder.Link's only options are to dodge or sit in his shield. I'm not sure, this is only off the top of my head.
I think your numbers might be a little off. I'm pretty sure Link's fastest OoS options are upb and usmash at 12 and 11 frames, and they're both hella punishable. Link's grab is 12 frames I think but that's deceptive since it takes longer to fully extend. Wouldn't surprise me if a well-spaced naner throw is nonpunishable; Link's options when an opponent gets in his face are usually balls-to-the-wall mindgame with hella lag on miss or GTFO anyway.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I think your numbers might be a little off. I'm pretty sure Link's fastest OoS options are upb and usmash at 12 and 11 frames, and they're both hella punishable. Link's grab is 12 frames I think but that's deceptive since it takes longer to fully extend. Wouldn't surprise me if a well-spaced naner throw is nonpunishable; Link's options when an opponent gets in his face are usually balls-to-the-wall mindgame with hella lag on miss or GTFO anyway.
i didn't check the frame data thread and added shield drop animation 3frames and what I knew about link frame data. Next time i'll check before i misinform someone. Also, for link's fastest OoS options, are they jump canceled?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
so what's links best KO'ing move?
Jump. Push down and A around the same time. Everything on screen will die. (Pro-Tip: Use the stick downwards).

D-smash is really good for kills, especially if you suspect they are rolling. U-tilt kills early too. F-tilt is good if you can't get F-smash kills as a mix up.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I don't think Link wants to be in a position where he's hiding in shield against Diddy if he can help it. I've played Big Lou's Diddy and he pretty much destroys me. Link needs to get control of those naners if he can and stay on the move; Diddy is hella fast, and I think you're just playing right to Diddy's strengths if you slow down or pause to pull up your shield for long. Link's probably best off just avoiding the naner if at all possible rather than shielding it (obvious statement is obvious).

Link's best kill move is whatever he can manage to land safely, haha. Utilt, ftilt, dsmash, fsmash, fair, uair, up b, and dair all have decent kill power. The problem is he has trouble landing them or they're unsafe/laggy. It also hurts that he doesn't have an overwhelmingly powerful/fast/lagless move to get the early kill with, like MK's shuttle loop, Snake's... everything (lawl, okay, uair and ftilt), Wario's mostly-charged waft or Fox's usmash. Link kinda has to play patiently and wait for an opportunity and take it whenever one opens up.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's best kill move is whatever he can manage to land safely, haha. Utilt, ftilt, dsmash, fsmash, fair, uair, up b, and dair all have decent kill power. The problem is he has trouble landing them or they're unsafe/laggy. It also hurts that he doesn't have an overwhelmingly powerful/fast/lagless move to get the early kill with, like MK's shuttle loop, Snake's... everything (lawl, okay, uair and ftilt), Wario's mostly-charged waft or Fox's usmash. Link kinda has to play patiently and wait for an opportunity and take it whenever one opens up.
This^ says it well. Link needs to setup KO (ugh). Jab locks, arrow locks, jab cancels, Bomb combos, footstool bombings, spotdodge punishing with upB/Fsmash2, Zair combos, bomb traps to land Dair/Uair, landing punishment UpBs, air dodge punishments, grab release Dsmash on Ness/Lucas, spotdodge slide (dash>angle control-stick diagonally down and press shield) to Dsmash, and Dair where the opponent must recover are all useful setups.
Dsmash starts frame 6 and Utilt frame 7 so they are quick KO moves, relatively. Uthrow also KOs at 160%+.
Link can Zair tether edgehog and intercept certain opponents very well too.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
1. Throw bomb at opponent's head form above
2. Footstool opponent as they get hit by the blast
3. Follow up by fastfalling a dair (or a nair for a jab lock)
4. Look badass

Step 4 is the most important part :awesome:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Just something I realised with my obsession of crossovers. To crossover properly with Link I think you should look backwards from your opponent. That way when you do the Nair or Fair, you'll end up being behind the opponent and facing him while they've got their back towards you.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Crossovers <3 .

If the opponent likes to SH attacks it can be good to face backwards>Bair>(land and) Utilt because Bair's speed and Utilt/Usmash reach behind Link farther than in front. Link's 'blind spot', above and in front of him, isn't a problem this way. It's good vs characters like Wario, Wolf and Jigglypuff when they're too close to Zair.

I've gotten several good ladder matches but man, Link is hard to win with :urg:. Would it be a cop-out to use Wolf vs MK, and some other killer MUs?

Replays are on the video thread ;).
Edit:
The video thread is dead; I've edited my post 2 times with new videos to keep it alive but other people should post their videos too.
Save the Link video thread! Donate replays and critiques!

Capuchon

Smash Cadet
I have a question, i don't find any topic of this =(.

So, how air release the opponent with link ?

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I have a question, i don't find any topic of this =(.

So, how air release the opponent with link ?
I found that you have to grab them out of the air during the first few frames of the grab, It only works with short characters not meta or kirby (I did it onces on FD but timing is hard). To grab them out of the air you have to grab with the hitbox in link's hand. if you do this correctly you can air release a few characters. Honestly, it's not worth trying.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The character must be held off a ledge or slope or if they mash jump Link will air release them.

Top Bottom