• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm actually on a laptop now because my desktop died recently. its a pretty crummy laptop that would suit me fine if it were able to record videos on.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Today I laid to rest one who's been by my side for the past three years. She and I did just about everything together, and though she fought me tooth and nail over a few things I wanted her to do, and she couldn't quite do it, I still cherished her with all my heart. She will never ever be able to truly be replaced, but I had to cut my loss of her and move on. It was a tough decision to make, but things are better off for the both of us. I have found another to stand in her place, and although things are a bit awkward, this being the first day being together, I am trying to remain confident that my new relationship will be just as fruitful as my last and will endure longer. I will forever remember my beloved laptop, Diana.
We'll miss you, Diana.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It's always tragic when you lose a laptop.

Also, hi guys. I need to get on here but real life has been keeping me busy (that and Netflix + How I Met Your Mother)

Also, MEGA MAN IN SMASH 4 DUAL MAIN TIEMZ.

Also, Fire Emblem Awakening is still amazing.

Also, I'm almost done with school. Just rotations. I'm working in a Nuclear Pharmacy drawing up doses of radioactive isotopes for imaging and stuff. A nice side effect is when you get mad you turn into the Hulk since you're working with (and getting blasted by) gamma rays.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
HuggleZ, stop coming back from the dead. Stop making us repeatedly happy then sad.
Did I ever tell you, before you died for the thridzillionth time, how much I love your sig quote? <3
Just stay with us. :'(

In other news, we've already confirmed that Jigglypuff will be the only selectable icon in SSB4 because DRAGONSLAYER >:D

I know you're all so disappointed that I haven't posted any tourney results recently, what were you going to do without them

BUT

I STILL DON'T HAVE ANY

But Kotier and I are competing in the same WiFi tourney today, wish us luck :D

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Got 5th of about 20 at Smashcon's 64 tourny yesterday using all Link. Beat a guy named Oracle from TX who is supposed to be a really good Yoshi and better player than Denti. It was really tough because he jump canceled so much with Yoshi and had great mobility with him.

Game 1: Got 2-3 stocked by him on Hyrule
Game 2: Got lucky on the first stock, managed to infinite jab lock him against the wall on Hyrule, got interrupted by the tornado, got him to a high enough percent to where he lost his first stock. Managed to take his second stock shortly after, then he caught up quickly and we proceeded to exchange taking stocks until I came out on top with one stock left.
Game 3: Tricked him into taking me to Dreamland which apparently is a hard counterpick against Link. Not a big deal for me, it's basically a bigger version of Battlefield which works out perfectly for me. I wound up 2 or 3 stocking him.

I went into the game with me and my friends knowing the probably outcome. By the end of the second game, I realized I could probably make it, which is when I tricked Oracle into taking me to Dreamland. In those situations, I would just see I could win, lose, then play it off coming up with johns. For once I actually realized I could win and actually wanted to. I'm so shocked because I was fighting hard on keeping my heart rate low, while fighting off and incredible yoshi on a stage that would easily be the end of me. I feel accomplished. I am not sure if the match got recorded. I don't think it was, but oh man, if it was. I know the matches that did get recorded is of me getting bodied hard by a mario player who came in 2nd place. Mario is my kryptonite for right now.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
....I got 1st out of 4 when we put in Brawl and I played for the first time in like 6 months with my brother and his roommates? :awesome:

Man, I actually miss having a standard def TV and kinda regret only having an HD one, haha. I think playing on an HDTV is actually worse than not playing at all in terms of messing up your timing. Good job repping Link guys. Makes me feel like I should get back into Brawl for reals.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Jerk.

j/k
Why'd you have to be so mean :cry:? /jk

I kept my non-HD TV just for Brawl and my old VHS player. My room have 3 screens in it including my computer. It feels like I'm in some surveillance room lol.

Good work Huggles :)

Right now ALL my control stick skins are peeling and playing for long cuts into my thumb. That really hurt my thumb once before so I reluctantly ordered another controller from PlayAsia.com . They cost $50 + shipping :facepalm:

Denti

Smash Master
Got 5th of about 20 at Smashcon's 64 tourny yesterday using all Link. Beat a guy named Oracle from TX who is supposed to be a really good Yoshi and better player than Denti. It was really tough because he jump canceled so much with Yoshi and had great mobility with him.
Compared to Oracle I usually win all the offline Smash 64 events in TX.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm pretty sure Hugglez is the most pro Link we've had in a long time. I'm pretty sure he could beat Izaw one out of one times.
Right now ALL my control stick skins are peeling and playing for long cuts into my thumb. That really hurt my thumb once before so I reluctantly ordered another controller from PlayAsia.com . They cost $50 + shipping :facepalm:
Did you buy a 3rd party controller? I hear those are the only ones that can be bought these days. I don't follow the controller drama much because my 11 year old controllers are still in great shape (still using my original GC controller :D)
On that note actually that may be why I'm struggling to pull off attacks right. Control stick may be loose or something and I might just be used to it. I'm going to have to try one of my other controllers to be sure because it does handle differently. Interesting.

Anyways, let us know how the controller goes. I hear they are crappy, but there's got to be some good controllers out there.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'm pretty sure Hugglez is the most pro Link we've had in a long time. I'm pretty sure he could beat Izaw one out of one times.
D'awww thanks Ano. I still remember that time you told me to keep at it since I had talent - right after you randomly disappeared from our online match because you quickly shoved your Wii under the couch since you weren't supposed to be playing Brawl any more when your parents walked in :awesome: It's been a while since I've been what I'd call a pro level though. Got some rust to knock off if I want to get back in top form (ESAM goes to college where I live; maybe that'd help if I could ever get a match set up? :D )

A good place to look for controllers is actually at video game stores at flea/open air markets. I got a namebrand Gamecube controller for 13 bucks at the flea market in Daytona about a month back that feels like it had maybe a month of wear and tear on it (and probably should've bought another one too). I found a couple other controllers at another shop in the same flea market in great shape too for like 20. They're getting harder and harder to find though, that's for sure.

Random aside: I have heard rumors that they're thinking of making a Wii U-Gamecube controller adapter for the upcoming Smash Bros. Anyone know if this is true? That'd be awesome if it is since I use the claw style while holding my controller.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Cool be sure to get replays ;)

I'm going to switch to WiiU Pro controllers for SSB4 because good GC controllers are so hard to find and pricy now.

It's hard to tell what hair color Link has.
It ranges from bright blond:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5Q1sRJJEI[/youtube]
ashy blond,

to almost redish brown.

Like in the Zelda series. I think that's cool.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I randomly stumbled upon this on AiB while looking at Vinnie's blog of "Best Players of Each Character". Since he didn't do Link, some random dude posted his own Link list in a comment. Anyone want to tell me their takes on this?

Link
1:Scizor(beat DEHF)
1: KirinBlaze
2: LordXav1er
3:NinjaLink
4:Tutu
The only one I find atrocious is NinjaLink...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I randomly stumbled upon this on AiB while looking at Vinnie's blog of "Best Players of Each Character". Since he didn't do Link, some random dude posted his own Link list in a comment. Anyone want to tell me their takes on this?

The only one I find atrocious is NinjaLink...
I've never even heard of NinjaLink or Tutu. As it stands, I think the top 3 are the only ones that even qualify enough to be considered "best players" of Link, and I don't think KirinBlaze even actively plays Link. The other two are probably pretty good players, but I really doubt they are on that plane of being "the best."

Heero Yuy

#sweg
@Ano

NinjaLink doesn't even main Link. He's a Diddy main whom is good with just about every character. Like Izaw, he really seems to just post videos of himself winning. Idk who Tutu is; he's probably an AiB exclusive player.

On that note, no Deva? (both Legan and Deva retired, but I still think they deserve the credit)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I didn't realize he was trying to say that NinjaLink, lol. I'd love to see him try to play Link.

It's a sloppy list in the end. A guy who's probably a NinjaLink fan and a friend of Tutu probably just gave them props on the list because, well, he knows them, and threw around a couple of well-known names (Like KirinBlaze who's inactive) because other than Xav1er and Scizor there aren't any well-known, notably good Link mains.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Imo best Links are Scizor then X. After them idk, I dont follow Link enough to compare any other Links.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Talk of possible balance patches in SSB4:
http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/26/mas...says-hes-not-opposed-to-downloadable-content/

You know, so characters like MK who can literately fly several loops around FD without landing or grabbing the ledge won't be so far above Link in recovery (and frame data :/ ).

"Though he sees balance patches as important to sustaining the game, he also hopes players take the time to decide for themselves whether a character needs adjusting rather than jumping on popular opinion"
My response: I've stuck with a terrible character since the first SSB64. I play 3 of the 4 worst characters in the game (-Jiggz) and also Bowser. I've mastered elements like Link's Gale wind that most people gave up on years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0Co9ZXGEI I also suck with MK but still do amazing in MUs I don't even know because the balance is SO bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7xhtCubSg High tiers and even more-so MK SOAR above low and mid tiers. I admit the popular opinion of Link is often very inaccurate but the balance of Brawl is terrible. Give us a competitively balanced cast; we've experienced the imbalance for YEARS!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I wouldn't be opposed to occasional patches, as long as they keep them infrequent and fairly minor (shave a frame here, increase an fsmash damage by 2 or 3% there, etc.). If you release them too frequently you constantly have to relearn the game, but every now and then a patch to fix gamebreaking stuff would be nice.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Asking for a balanced cast also means asking for a more Melee-like approach... I personally find it much easier to find vids of Pichus beating Foxes rather than Ganons beating Meta Knights.

And I don't mind patches at all - heavy or light. One patch every month or so won't hurt at all. Here's hoping most of them will be in Link's favor.

Also, just so you know... Link can go under FD and make it to the other side. It's pretty tricky with the exact percentage and bomb explosion, but it's certainly possible.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Melee isnt more balanced because due to its physics or anything, in fact, take out MK, and Brawl is WAY more balanced than Melee. And the reason you can find Pichus beating spacies is cuz Pichu can CG them and if the spacies dont know the MU well enough, one grab for Pichu is basically a stock gone for Fox if played right. Finding Pichus beating other top tiers like Marth who cant be CG'd would be just as hard as Ganon beating MK. The reason Melee is more balanced has less to do with how Melee is, and more that MK is just unbalanced and dominates the game too much. If MK were to be nerfed, even just enough to still be #1 but not in a tier of his own, youd see success from a HUGE amount of high-mid characters, even more than in Melee.

And as for patches, I HIGHLY doubt theyd patch any more often than 2-3 times a year, and unless something gamebreaking is found early in the games lifespan, I wouldnt expect a patch for at least 4-6 months, which is the amount of length youd want for a game like this so you can let the meta game develop and figure out exactly what needs to be fixed instead of just nerfing 'day 1 over powered tactics' (remember for the first month or two of brawl how ROB was considered top tier due to sidestep dsmash? Yeah, stuff like that).

Rizen

Smash Legend
MK is by far the best character but high tiers are considerably better than lower characters. ICs, Oli and Diddy are really good but the other high tiers also do significantly better than the borderlines and lower.

To balance Brawl things like DDD's grab and Dthrow would have to be addressed. For Example Wolf has a -1 vs MK, 0 with Oli and 0 or -1 (imo) vs ICs but a -3 vs DDD. Some tactic exploit characters to the point where a MU is realistically unwinnable :/
Also, just so you know... Link can go under FD and make it to the other side. It's pretty tricky with the exact percentage and bomb explosion, but it's certainly possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMCpDCkFB2Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=24s

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yeah, I agree with Z'zgashi. Patches shouldn't be more than like once or twice a year imo, and certainly not for at least a while after the initial release if they do it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
DDD as a character is a really bad example lol. He either loses hard because he cant land grabs and/or cg, or he destroys them because can land grabs and/or has an infinite, theres VERY few in betweens.

And the reason the High Tiers do better than borderlines and lower, is because the majority of borderlines and lower get man handled by MK, and the ones that CAN deal with MK (Fox and Wolf are the ONLY borderline or lower characters with a MU lower than -2 on MK) have other REALLY BAD MUs and get juggled/combod to death by other top tiers. Take out MK, and characters like ROB, Ike, Peach, etc suddenly become viable.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^But that's exactly why there needs to be patches to balance characters like DDD. I agree MK is the worst character for overall balance; he's the reason Norfair, Brin and RC were removed. For everyone else the stages would work as a hard counter but MK is untouchable.

G&W arguably can have a -1 vs MK too. Even with MK gone the high tiers would be in a class of their own above borderlines. Peach does well vs Oli and ICs but then there's Snake and Marth. IDK ROB. The high tiers always have someone who really shuts down lower characters. Marth owns G&W, DDD>Wolf and so on. If you include low and mid tiers there are a lot of terrible high tier MUs like Oli for Zelda, Falco for Link...

Removing MK is a good step forward but there needs to be tweaks to the balance all around.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I agree, but my point was only that Brawl without MK's balance >>> Melee balance lol ;p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have SC2, I rarely play it though so Im REALLY bad at it. I play LoL and Smite though.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I agree, but my point was only that Brawl without MK's balance >>> Melee balance lol ;p
I disagree and agree with Rizen. Removing MK isn't gonna solve the imbalance problem completely. There are still a huge handful of characters that will annihilate a majority of low tiers, placing a bigger stress on the matchup balance. Removing MK will only help minimally due to the heavy amount of high tier advantage that's already in the game. Heck, due to the mechanics of Brawl being less forgiving than Melee, it makes the tier gap even bigger.

Any of you ladies play L4D2 or TF2?

P.S. Boy did this thread go off-topic fast.

Top Bottom