• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
What's your Nintendo ID? Rizen?

Btw on Xat while waiting :D

Well this sucks

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
I see a Wi-Fi as training with weights. Like Piccolo in DBZ he wears heavy weights all the time sorta to train his body. When he takes them off he is stronger and faster. That's what it feels like offline.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Rizen: Might be going to a tournament in CO in a month or two. If I show up then you have to be there to do dittos with me. Promise? :b:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I never know if I'll be able to team but I'll try.

My Grandma fell a day and a half ago. Then she was acting weird and spacy, kind of dopy. It was scary because we didn't know if she had a stroke. My Grandpa was out of it like that before he died so it brought back a lot of depression and anxiety. Fortunately she was acting more aware today so it was probably exhaustion, needing more oxygen and maybe medicine.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Man, no wonder you've been feeling terrible. Hope that she makes a full recovery.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Stay strong, Rizen!

Blah since I don't like using ZSS and Link all the time, I felt like picking up a new character for lulz. I'm in between Pika, Snake, and MK. Anyone want to give reasons why you chose your secondaries? :o

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer because he used to be my main, and he's one of the only characters I'm most familiar with besides TL. Now he's taken the title of Trash Main from TL. xD

I use my fun characters more than I use PT anymore. I.e Link, Ike, Random, Ganon, Zelda, and just about everyone else in the cast.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Oh, a conversation in another forum about Smash 4 reminded me of why I chose my secondaries, Lucario and Wolf, alongside my long-time secondary Pikachu.

Story time!

When I saw the graphical update for Link in the first trailer for Brawl I was super excited. I thought they were going to revamp Link's gameplay to reflect his Twilight Princess incarnation, and I really hoped they'ed incorporate Wolf Link as a transformation move or as a final smash (instead we got Triforce Slash? I guess that's kinda cool). When they didn't, I picked up Wolf and Lucario as a kind of substitute because of bitterness. And I've just kept using them :D Although now that I'm making real progress skill-level wise I'm trying to focus on pure Link. I want to get as good as I can with one character before I try to work with multiple ones.

Pikachu has always been a secondary for me, although Brawl Pika has only started getting the love he deserves from me a few months ago. Still not very good with him, but I'm winning with him offline :D

Oh and PT because Charizard (although I'm starting to love Squirtle and Ivy).

My reasons are generally "Oh I like that character so I'll learn him" lol

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Gah I found the saddest Zelda comic ever that my friend just showed me. It did bring me to tears. >.> Makes me wanna Triforce Slash Ganondorf a million times.

Does anybody play differently online than offline? Just came back with a casual fest with a few friends and ended up losing a handful of times. It could just be the Wifi delay that I'm so used to.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Wifi makes you play at a slower pace. When you're offline, you play at a faster pace. You really can't get into a flow online like you can offline. Like I mentioned before, wifi is too unstable and unpredictable to really play any form of Link reliably.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My reasons are generally "Oh I like that character so I'll learn him" lol
liked for this :)
wifi is too unstable and unpredictable to really play any form of Link reliably.
^this.

When I go offline I don't play wifi for at least 3 days. I just practice buffering vs CPUs.
Offline you need to Zair more, play faster and grab/Dair/Usmash less. Online you can get away with some ending lag as mentioned. The metagames are slightly different.
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/unbreakable-spirit-using-link-in-brawl.325062/
Offline/Wifi Differences (008)

Spoiler
Toggle Spoiler
Offline is always better but good connection wifi can be legit too. The problem with judging skill on wifi is even vs the same person the connection can vary tremendously.
Generally PSing is harder, grabs are easier to land, mistakes are harder to punish, precision drops and SDs are more common on wifi.
Link’s projectiles are harder to shield and laggy moves like grab and Usmash are harder to punish on good wifi. If the lag gets worse it really kills Link’s game because he is a precision character who has to commit to his attacks; if Link’s interrupted or button lag fails to register an input he can buffer wrong. Bad lag destroys Link, any mistakes offstage mean death, his slow moves are easy to see coming, DIing attacks in lag wrong can make Link Dair offstage or end up in a worse position then he started and Link gets juggled before he can react. A myth is Link is better online but more accurately it’s like this: (Link is) Best Great connection wifi>>Offline>>>>>Okay wifi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any worse connection Worst.
For example, these were both ladder games against the same person. My recording device shows the lag; Link plays much worse when the lag increases past a point:
Good Connection vs Bad Connection. Keep in mind that lag can turn even the best Link into a scrub. I consider myself a great Link but ALSM is easily one of the best Links and has me beat. You can see the negative lag influence on both of us really clearly. Those were friendly dittos but I recommend not using Link at all if the lag’s bad enough because you simply can’t play well.
Links lag game is very different from offline. This is a good example of how Link plays best in bad lag. Dsmash, Fair and running back then Fsmashing and double Fsmash play a primary role. Usmash is used to hit the opponent away when they’re close, shield grabs still work, projectiles are used less and at farther distances, spotdodges are common. It’s tempting to spam Dair but Link needs to FF Nair when returning down to the stage instead and only Dair to punish lag or predictable actions (ledge jumps).
IMO this is about when it starts to get too bad to play; notice the game’s (top right) timer counts back from 8:00 minutes and starts when the video is 4 seconds in, at 3:20 the game’s timer says 4:45 remaining- lag ate 9 seconds of the 3:16 time seen by the player. This is a good way to calculate lag on replays that weren’t recorded from the Wii. Now you try; how much more time do you see then the games sees from start to finish? (pause before it starts playing)​

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Gah I found the saddest Zelda comic ever that my friend just showed me. It did bring me to tears. >.> Makes me wanna Triforce Slash Ganondorf a million times.

Does anybody play differently online than offline? Just came back with a casual fest with a few friends and ended up losing a handful of times. It could just be the Wifi delay that I'm so used to.
You can't just reference a Zelda comic and not post a link to it D:<

I play tremendously different offline than online, given my offline play is focused around SHFF aerials and jab cancels. Not something that I can do very well on WiFi.

...yet.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I finally beat DK Country Returns yesterday :cool: With all temples and KONG letters. Just when you think that game is hard as hell you unlock mirror mode with no items an only 1 heart :eek:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It probably wasn't Ganon considering the SS character references.
"ggs, he timed me out both matches. dont play this guy if you dont plan on investing 16mins+ at least"

(game 2 was won with Wolf)
There were no timeouts as you can see. :rolleyes:

Tesh

Smash Hero
It was remarkably lame that Wolf Link is not in Smash after they put TP link in.

They could have given him bomb arrows and down B would be his transform...

Isn't one of Link's taunts a fairy still?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If they gave Link bomb arrows, then I'd invent a whole new kind of bombing. One more annoying than what I have now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Bomb arrows would solve alot. Imagine being able to fire bombs at a wall to help yourself recover?

Seems like they ignored all the cool possibilities of a twilight link rather lazily.

Rizen

Smash Legend
All IMO:
I'm against bomb arrows because bombs are already far better than arrows because how you can throw/drop/invincibomb/etc them. Bomb throws go farther than arrows unless charged and are faster. It would also limit Link's spamming capacity.

I'd rather not see major changes to Link's moves because he has good tools but terrible stats. Link always seems good and gets nerfed to low tier :(. He should get some adjustments and stat buffs but keep his general move set.

If he changed it wouldn't be Link anymore and I could have played a different, better character anyway.
Aside from stat buffs (less lag and better mobility, etc) he should have:
transcendent arrows
A ground spin that has 3 hits, all that launch away and a final wind box
Boomerang wind that deals steady damage as it pulls
Bombs that can be rolled with downB if in hand.
a grab that grabs air opponents too
Dtilt liike Melee's that actually has a chance to spike before the opponent snaps to the ledge, spike bubbles have priority

Stuff like that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
imo since melee they took 2 chances with link's design. one from a design perspective and one from a gameplay perspective. twilight link was not represented and toon link was, now they have moved on to a much uglier link

i can only hope link HD is cool because they passed up the best adult link yet with twilight princess

if arrows were his side b instead of nB (not like it would matter), they could function like samus's smash and tilt missles

but turning into a wolf was a huger part of the game than any of his other tools, when you fought, you were clawing and biting as much as you were slashing and stabbing

its just such a waste...

Heero Yuy

#sweg
IIRC, Link has way many more options with the arrows in Project M. Bomb arrows also being one of them? I'm kinda against having Wolf Link in the game. Save for a Final Smash, it'd be like Zelda turning into Sheik. I really think Link and his three tools are already good enough, had they not been so weak.

On (kinda) a different note, I just wonder how Isai is able to place 2nd in the world's biggest Smash Bros. 64 tournament w/ Link. If Link is an abysmal character in both games, I suppose there's still some hope to bring Brawl Link that far.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Isai is unanimously considered the best Smash 64 player in the entire world, though. Another way of looking at the situation is "Is Link so bad that Isai will lose with him in tournaments?"

In other words, the fact that he only got second could be set forward as an example of Link's limitations instead of his ability to do well in tournaments.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Link gets worse with every game. They take his abilities and split them in half. Then when the next game comes out, they take those halves and half them again. At this point, they should just let Link be a character you see on the character selection screen, but he isn't actually playable. Or you know, give him about as much priority with his moves as Ganon does.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think 64 Link is the best. Followed by P:M Link, Melee Link, then Brawl Link. I've looked at the MUs for 64 Link, despite being one of the worst characters in the game, his MUs are really all decent. He has one or two MUs that are in the red and yellow, the rest are green and blue. HE just sucks because of his recovery. :/

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Isai is too good. Still, he used Link.

And I think P:M Link is the best, followed by Melee, then 64, then Brawl. I expect high from Smash 4 for Link. There just needs to be one game where I want to main him... (Since I don't plan on downloading Project: M.)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm going to main him however it goes. The difference is this can only be a positive transition from Brawl.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Just had the best Smash Bros. fest with a couple of friends at my house and one of my best friends from Georgia (the guy who got me into the game.) Although I won maybe 99% of the time (they were mostly casuals), we were just there to have fun. It was perhaps one of the best nights of my life, playing with supposedly my original mentor at the game. I've always tried to imitate Isai's take on the game. No matter how competitive I get at the game, I'll always keep having fun playing Smash.

With that being said...I suppose I can say I represented Link well when we were having a contest in choosing the best of the iconic Nintendo stars. I 3-stocked a Mario...And I really underestimate my Link a lot.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Wait for a surprise buff in his Uspecial?

Anyway, I squealed so hard when I first saw Link in the trailer...Live. Overall I was very impressed. I'm eyeing Link, Villager, or Mario for my first honors next year.

Tesh

Smash Hero
wow i didnt even see that before, i noticed how bad his fsmash still looks

sorry folks, its not getting any better for you.

he doesnt look good off or on stage

Top Bottom