• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
But did you see his UpB's power, both in the air and on the ground? Looks like Link is no faster but WAY more powerful.

Which is a decent enough buff for me.

I'm also wondering if Nintendo isn't adding some edgeguard attack. Note how Villager drops a bowling ball off the side of the edge to hit Fox? That would be quite the buff to the game, prevent planking really hard, which tbh was one of Brawl's worst problems competitively.

The blast zones also seem to be closer, which would benefit Link greatly.

So looks like things are looking up imo Tesh :)

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Eh, don't be too pessimistic everyone. There may just be some physics change that may be in Link's favor. Heck, we don't even know his new SideB or NeutralB yet. And for all we know... Wall grappling is made a thing once again. As well as bomb jumping...

You never know.

Edit: And yeah. Like Ano said, his new UpB looks even stronger than it was in Melee.

Edit 2: And since SS Link didn't have the boomerang... There may or may not be a special surprise for us in his Side B.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'd also like to note the lack of hitstun upon connecting with a sword attack.

Means SDIing out of Link's attacks will be impossible. That alone is an important boost to Link. :)

EDIT: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/link.html

Link's fair, bombs and bow are confirmed to return. Hope the bow gets some serious buffs.

Or at least confirmed in the pictures, could be changed later.

Yeah, I'd be seriously surprised if most of this isn't changed later. Link's design is still clearly the Twilight Princess look from Brawl.

QUICK EVERYONE TAKE THE SAME AVI AS SCABE

Tesh

Smash Hero
they didnt even show percents, how do you know he is strong? his enemy could have been at 150 for all we know

all we can judge right now is speed and range and he looks slow

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
By the same token that you have no clue that he isn't.

I mean, come on. Link's UpB didn't launch people all that far or fast in Brawl, but the characters flew off the screen pretty much instantaneously. Unless we're assuming they were at very high percents (for the new game), it's pretty clear that the move is strong compared to what we've got now, whether or not it's going to stack up well against other characters' kill moves in the new game. And that is something to be happy about, until proven wrong.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Side B will stay boomerang; I hope it's a Gale Boomerang. They didn't show the 'rang but that doesn't mean it won't return like in every other smash game.

Awesome detail :cool: I'm so glad they didn't go SS Link :awesome:

It's too early to jump to any conclusions about Link's stats. The trailer seemed to be operating on Brawl's engine but SSB4 doesn't launch until 2014 so many changes will be made. Fsmash can be delayed.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Off the topic at hand... How do you guys practice SDI'ing? Or DI in general? Tried using Smart Bombs, but I think that's only one possible option.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Off the topic at hand... How do you guys practice SDI'ing? Or DI in general? Tried using Smart Bombs, but I think that's only one possible option.
An easy way to start is if you see a multi hut move, tap C and the controlstick up and away 3 times. This gets you out of most multi hit moves like Diddy's smashes, jab combos etc. Later you can memorize what direction to DI certain moves, like Sheik's Ftilt you DI in and down and Diddy's Fsmash DI toward Diddy and up a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=421s
Link already seems to have better reach in proportion to his size and looks a bit quicker. Arrow go farther faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=434s

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet on Link. Hes all about short hop aerials, his zair, and projectiles, and we didnt see ANY of those attacks in the trailer, not one. For all we know, Link could have AMAZINGLY fast and good range on his aerials, good air speed, a great fast fall and auto cancel, fast/safe/better keepaway and projectiles, zair could be good, his grab might not be as laggy, tons of possibilities. And as for his up b, maybe it will be able to zair cancel like air dodges in melee or something, and maybe his zair will grab ledges from even firther than before? There are a TON of possibilities for Link and literally the ONLY things we saw from Link in the trailer was him using up b WHICH IS STRONGER, dash attack which looks slightly faster, and fsmash which looked about the same.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet on Link. Hes all about short hop aerials, his zair, and projectiles, and we didnt see ANY of those attacks in the trailer, not one. For all we know, Link could have AMAZINGLY fast and good range on his aerials, good air speed, a great fast fall and auto cancel, fast/safe/better keepaway and projectiles, zair could be good, his grab might not be as laggy, tons of possibilities. And as for his up b, maybe it will be able to zair cancel like air dodges in melee or something, and maybe his zair will grab ledges from even firther than before? There are a TON of possibilities for Link and literally the ONLY things we saw from Link in the trailer was him using up b WHICH IS STRONGER, dash attack which looks slightly faster, and fsmash which looked about the same.
We also see a sourspotted nair that has a surprising amount of knockback in the trailer (I think it was on a section with chu-chu train toon link [pun intended]). Just from we've seen so far--still slow, low jumps and recovery, but much stronger attacks--looks like they're making him more power-house based.
Except the arrows look so weak still ;_;

And of course it's all theoretical--my motto is "It's all theory 'til it's out." So as super-adamant as anyone including myself might be about anything, we should assume that it is only a possibility.

Rizen

Smash Legend
(I think it was on a section with chu-chu train toon link [pun intended]).
Chu-chu ROBuddies move over; we got a new train character in town!

I'd like to see some gameplay of actual matches with Link. Trailers are hard to interpret.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'd like to see some gameplay of actual matches with Link. Trailers are hard to interpret.
Which is why I think 99% of people are overreacting... Trailers don't exactly offer the bulk of what the game will be like, they're only a visual to get the crowd excited. The game is prone to a lot of upcoming change.

Edit: Off-topic, but I'm no longer playing online. I've already played about every MU online to get a glimpse of what I'm up against in the real world. It's been slowing me down and halting my best performance a lot (with the sluggish gameplay), particularly in Melee (which is actually my top priority now). So... I'll still play online for requests, but otherwise my main focus is Melee and offline Brawl.

escro

Smash Ace
his moves sorta look stronger, but they seem as slow and as laggy as ever
those puny jumps and short length of his up b is a little worrying too.

also HOLY CRAP THAT BOWLING BALL FROM VILLAGER
WHAT

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Awesome detail :cool: I'm so glad they didn't go SS Link :awesome:
This reminds me: Has anyone else been greatly amused by that one guy with the Diddy Kong avi who keeps saying how glad he is that Link is using the SS design, and that he can't fathom why people don't realize that?

quote="Diddy Kong, post: 15574737, member: 17122"]Skyward Sword design right?

Guess who told ya? ^^[/quote]

quote="Diddy Kong, post: 15574824, member: 17122"]So? It's still Skyward Link. :joyful:[/quote]

quote="Diddy Kong, post: 15579327, member: 17122"]I still fail to see how people think this is not Skyward Sword Link. Toon Link looked different in Brawl to from his Wind Waker self. This is absolutely the same thing. With a few details added from his Twilight Princess design. But hey, guess what, a few pockets don't make him Twilight Princess Link yet. :rolleyes:

As said before, this is much like the Melee Link's version of Ocarina of Time Link.

Can't wait to see his Side B being Skyward Strike. :smirk:[/quote]

This is probably the most hilarious string of quotes of all time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^If he doesn't get it by now there's no point in explaining further :/

Link is Twilight Princess Design

Look at Twilight princess link

The new smash link has the same left hand gauntlet that skyward sword link doesn't

Edit: Just noticed the straps are the same, they are just backwards on skyward sword link

Compare with this

^this.

This is a step forward at least:
http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771
"
I had asked Sakurai what sort of weaknesses he thought were in the last game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I asked what he wanted to fix for this new one.
"I would consider the changes that we're making this time around not as fixes, but that we're changing the direction," he said through a translator. "And so the vision for the overall balance of the game in Smash Bros Melee, it was sort of more focused towards more hardcore players. Then when it came around to making Brawl, this was a game that was targeting a Wii audience where there were a lot of beginner players, so it sort of leaned a little bit more in that direction.
"So now, for this time around, we're sort of aiming for something that is in between those as far as the speed of the game. Because I don't really think this time we're in a situation where we're trying to accommodate that many new players."
"

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I hope that he ends up on the "This time around, Sakurai is going for the best of both worlds." thing.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
While I'm not exactly looking forward to L-cancelling Link's Dair, I'm glad that Sakurai's taking a little bit of the fast, hardcore nature of Melee into account. Never understood why the FGC hates Brawl a lot (and for that reason I'm not fond of them at all)... I felt it was alright at higher level play.

Tesh

Smash Hero
While I'm not exactly looking forward to L-cancelling Link's Dair, I'm glad that Sakurai's taking a little bit of the fast, hardcore nature of Melee into account. Never understood why the FGC hates Brawl a lot (and for that reason I'm not fond of them at all)... I felt it was alright at higher level play.
the fgc doesnt hate brawl, they hate smash

most of these people are just hiveminding around what is cool to hate. like the people who hate on COD or Nintendo or the bad melee players who hate on brawl

pikachu fighting kirby is auto 0 respect to some of those people in the first place

twilight princess link is the absolute best adult link
toon link is the best young link

it would be awesome if the next zelda somehow managed to have both with adult link tackling a dark gritty world and toon link fighting through a bright colorful cartoon world, but i dont see that happening

if anything, skyward sword was a hybrid of designs and turned out pretty damn ugly

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
While I'm not exactly looking forward to L-cancelling Link's Dair, I'm glad that Sakurai's taking a little bit of the fast, hardcore nature of Melee into account.
Note that the current physics still show Brawl's airdodge instead of Melee's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=01m06s

But no autograbbing the ledge from like a bazillion feet away :b:

EDIT: Toon Link gets what he deserves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CWYTDJNpA&feature=youtu.be

And I had some really sick DI/saves here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlxLhNScEWc

Heero Yuy

#sweg
the fgc doesnt hate brawl, they hate smash
No, they love Melee. Which is why they voted Melee for Evo this year. We can clearly take a hint they hate Brawl because of how poorly they treated the game back in Evo '08 (and I can't talk to a single MvC3 player without him ranting about how poor a fighting game Brawl is). That, and the fact that hundreds of FG tournaments, if ever they included a Smash game, it would be Melee.

Even if the game doesn't incorporate Melee's single airdodge, the gameplay's at least a little faster than Brawl's. We'll just see what happens. :p

Tesh

Smash Hero
Uh I doubt Melee was overwhelmingly voted in by FGC players. Smashboards basically just swarmed all over those polls and donations as soon as they were mentioned on this site.

Maybe they consider Melee a little less of a joke than Brawl, but I'm sure at EVO we will see just how much respect they get.

Melee's airdodge seems to be kind of pointless in Melee for actual defense. When I watch top level play I can't think of moments where I see an airdodge used for invincibility. A single Melee airdodge with Brawl's hitstun might be interesting, but with Melee's hitstun it doesn't look like there is much opportunity to dodge in the air.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Great stuff for Scizor! :bee:
That reminds me how much I miss offline play :( I rarely ledge hop because my lag is so inconsistent and any lag spikes mean an SD. I need to work whiplash into my game more.
MK goes +3 vs Link, anytime Link doesn't get 3 stocked he's playing well.

What's weird is vs MK as Link I consider PS1 the best CP then Delfino. Link has a great anti-sharking game and Delfino's layout is usually good for Link except walk off CG areas.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm also kinda wondering... Has there ever been a legit video out there with Izaw facing Mr. R? I'm getting overly annoyed by fanboys saying he's the best Link out there just because he can beat up his buddies, Rebaz and Haze. (Yet another one messaged me today that Izaw was better than X... -_-)

If I were ever to see that video and Izaw beats him. I can conclude that he's inhumanely good with the character and can arguably be one of the best.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm also kinda wondering... Has there ever been a legit video out there with Izaw facing Mr. R? I'm getting overly annoyed by fanboys saying he's the best Link out there just because he can beat up his buddies, Rebaz and Haze. (Yet another one messaged me today that Izaw was better than X... -_-)

If I were ever to see that video and Izaw beats him. I can conclude that he's inhumanely good with the character and can arguably be one of the best.
Mr.R's better. So is X.

Izaw's popular because he self promotes to death and has gathered fanboys. Honestly, I don't really like Izaw because he never talked to me even though I tried and he made self promoting threads like this: http://smashboards.com/threads/izaw-matches-new-matches-against-a-pro-dedede.173455/
then kept bumping them. We had a video thread. That led to a lot of back and forth flaming:
http://smashboards.com/threads/izaw...ainst-a-pro-dedede.173455/page-8#post-9655059
Izaw might have been decent in 2010 but he was never the best. The people he played and claimed to be pro weren't that good or at least didn't play the MU smart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFEflmAwk0

I don't think he's played Link in at least 2 years.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?

@5:33 and 8:00.

Because Kotier is Wolf Link Tier

And I keep trying to tell people that Izaw wasn't good, but no one listens

But then I'm probably still worse than he was

But he was definitely not Arkive or even Blubba status

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Mr.R's better. So is X
I already implied that twice in my post.

And Ano, I'm not saying that Izaw's not good (because his Link is still far better than mine). He's just very, very overrated. I honestly wouldn't be surprise if he's the most popular Youtube Brawler of all time (because he attracts both Brawl and Zelda fans). IIRC, in a Youtube comment he did mention he would face Mr. R one day. Yet, it never seemed to happen.

Edit: ...And probably won't ever happen because he's been inactive for a long time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
IIRC, in a Youtube comment he did mention he would face Mr. R one day. Yet, it never seemed to happen.
http://smashboards.com/threads/izaw...ainst-a-pro-dedede.173455/page-8#post-9826657
"also regarding the whole I PLAYED IZAW ON WIFI AND I WON BUT HE SAID HE WASNT PLAYING.... first of all izaw, me and many many maaaaany others do not care about wifi unlike u whos willing to use wifi for almost every argument >.>
and when he says it was his little brother playing, then why the ***** would he lie about it since its wifi ( AND HE DIDNT EVEN PLAY LINK LOL )"

IDK what the truth is but if you look at the first post:

http://smashboards.com/threads/izaw-matches-new-matches-against-a-pro-dedede.173455/
"New videos against a truly PRO Dedede, ENJOY these intense matches!"

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFEflmAwk0

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJsELg4wsi0

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLmqPMT420c

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6fq8VULVk

Izaw(Link) vs Haze(DDD) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beIVa3UDTM
"
The gameplay and fact that Izaw considers this DDD a "truly PRO Dedede" speaks for it's self.
:facepalm: (pros usually know how to shield)​
Izaw's self promoting built up and got worse over time. I think people liked him better at first.​
Anyway, moving on...​

Heero Yuy

#sweg
This guy gets my vote. He is the alpha and the omega. Eat your heart out, Barry Bonds and Mew2King:

...Though Groose in Smash 4 would be awesome.

So many Melee players showed up at my door all of a sudden. >.< Gah, this scene I started escalated quickly (in a good way).

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Today I laid to rest one who's been by my side for the past three years. She and I did just about everything together, and though she fought me tooth and nail over a few things I wanted her to do, and she couldn't quite do it, I still cherished her with all my heart. She will never ever be able to truly be replaced, but I had to cut my loss of her and move on. It was a tough decision to make, but things are better off for the both of us. I have found another to stand in her place, and although things are a bit awkward, this being the first day being together, I am trying to remain confident that my new relationship will be just as fruitful as my last and will endure longer. I will forever remember my beloved laptop, Diana.

Top Bottom