• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last duke biweekly! Online prereg! $20 venue $0 entry|m2k, armada, pp, ally attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Yeah the lasers can be avoided, they can just be a ***** if someone like you is shooting them pp. From your POV sheik shouldn't be too gay.. except if you're playing mine because i hit sheik's fair during falco's fantasm every time but that is a different story D - ;

A very good marth is gay, else he seems to fall victim to people who know the match-up, and have characters that are good in the match-up.

It also depends on your definition of gay, lol. I've always considered a 'gay' character is one who can be played proficiently with little practice.. Jiggs is like that the most to me. I could call her my secondary lol... so easy to play. Peach is kind of like that too but she's too gay for me to even take the time to be gay with her. Fox is gayer than falco.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Heh. Brawl is so different from Melee

Marth ***** Shiek, and Shiek ***** spacies but like nobody else. Puff loses to everyone, and Fox gets 0-D'd by Pikachu. @.@

lord karn

Smash Master
I usually consider characters who have a really overpowered move(s) to be gay. Falco's laser is ridiculously good, hard to deal with, and by itself changes match-ups. That's why I think Falco is top-tier gay.

Jiggs' rest is similar. By itself, it makes Jiggs way better, changes the way you must approach matchups, and is an (almost) auto-kill if you make one mistake. Doesn't make her broken, per se, but is just annoying.

Fox's shine could probably be put in this category, too, but I'm better at dealing with that move than the others so he's not as gay to me. It's also not as all-encompassing in terms of matchups or approaching as falco's laser and isn't an auto-kill for punishing any mistake (only an auto-kill if the mistake is off the edge, and even then, not always).

The reason I don't find sheik gay is because it's not any one thing she has that is just obviously broken. All of her moves are generally really good, but none of them have as ridiculous risk/reward ratios or game-changing safeness as the other moves. Marth is pretty much in the same boat for me.

Peach's downsmash isn't that gay at high levels of play, but it's the same concept as Jiggs' rest, just not quite as intense. Essentially, if you mess up once (accidently cc) you get punished massively.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Shiek has Dthrow. :X
stinger's is a smart man..err kid ;>. Sheik's ability to cg is insane, plus even if you miss and they roll she still owns at grabbing them whatever get up one decides to do.

Sheik is gay in all match-ups except against spacies and then IC after that, imo. Then there's 1 or 2 with close to neutral gayness that sheik still have the advantage on. If you're playing a good marth or a good puff things can be different, but for the most part I love playing ALL high/top chars with sheik except spacies. CF is too easy.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I just think stuff that's hard to punish/deal with is gay.

Sheik can Dthrow and has stupid combos.

Marth has stupid range and gimps.

Jigglypuff can Bair and rest.

Fox can shine spike or just outprioritize/speed you.

Falco's lasers are really good, but I don't think it compensates for easily he can be punished for messing even one up(I don't mean technically either). He is the prime victim for the gays given by everyone above him.

Falcon is never gay.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ledge invincibility is the gayest thing in melee

gayer then rest, shieks dthrow, falcos laser, and foxes shine.

i hate it

and falcon loves it

so **** falcon

lord karn

Smash Master
I love ledge invincibility.

Being victim to gayness doesn't make someone any less gay, it just makes them worse of a character. Gayness to me doesn't have to correlate with how good the character is, although usually it does.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, falco can be gimped easily if he messes up for sure. I personally would recognize those instances but wouldn't capitalize on them fast enough on you pp, the majority of the time, so.......

Falco's get back(dash attack) is a lot more weak than people think, too. It actually kind of blows my mind how the current meta game lets falco fantasm to the ledge in most situations. Yeah, it spikes you, but it is so, SO predictable. I even hit puff's rest on falco's fantasm half the time lol.

ledge invincibility is neither a tremendous asset to one's game or detrimental to the opposition to make much a difference... just a mind game.

lord karn

Smash Master
Perhaps Pika upsmash, kirby ducking, mewtwo sucking you through battlefield, zelda toe, missile spam on ps, I guess that's it.

None of those are nearly as gay as the gay things top tiers have, though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lol I can only do so much.

Stongers how is someone supposed to recover once they make it to the edge without invincibility? They are already limited in options greatly.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
puff and peach are the gayest imo
mainly, cause you can't do dittos and avoid punching a small child
every decent character seems to have some amount of gay they can unload on you, cept ganon. he's all man, no homo

and peach's dsmash isn't that gay... it only works when you're near her. true story

DJRome

Smash Hero
Aight, so I can provide 2 full setups + a tv (possibly another setup from DAGGER, our game club).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That's silly. NC can't fight Falco(besides me and LoZR anyway).

Audi, you should play Falco in tournament. I wanna see what it looks like. Your Marth is still sexy though.

DJRome

Smash Hero
pp u know anything about brawl marths? i may take this up if I get some time this semester

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Falco is the gayest using the reasoning alex explained since the lasers are probably the dumbest/most gameplay changing moving in the game.

For example, would sheik still be good without her down-throw? yes of course

Peach without her down-smash? yes

Jigs without her rest? yes

Fox without his shine? kind of

Falco without his lasers? probably not at all.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Fox is pretty feckin' fast w/out shine anyways. . .

thanks pp im gonna play free for all w/ the kids in my hall for a while before I get the hang of marth, but i'll let you know when i'm ready to get out of the kiddy pool

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@ Bill: That's a really funny way to look at it.

I'm goin to bed guys. Need sleep for tipped off.

Edit: Aight DJ, just tell me. I can help with Melee too.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
IC's would most definitely be worse without their grab but they can still wavedash around and down-smash.

@pp: yea it is but thats why I said using alex's logic in which a characters gayness is defined by the gayness of their gayest move. I think the way I laid out is a good method to determine a moves gayness.

lord karn

Smash Master
Well the thing about it is, if I happen to be bad at dealing with lasers, I cannot beat a falco. It's pretty much that simple. Now, at the highest level of play, not being very good at anything in any matchup could make you lose. But let's look at Marth. If I happen to be bad at dealing with marth's fsmash (another move that is considered gay) I can use my strengths to combat that weakness. Even if I get tippered when I shouldn't, if I outplay the marth in enough other situations, I will probably still win. If I suck at dealing with Falco's lasers, I'm probably going to just get *****.

Same applies to jiggs and her rest and peach and her downsmash. Both characters have a single attribute that if you don't know exactly what to do against them, you pretty much lose (peach to a somewhat lesser extent). I like to think that matches come down to which player can outplay the other in a plethora of situations. Both players have weaknesses to be exploited, but when that weakness is: "oops I don't know how to di out of this rest set up" that player pretty much auto-loses to jiggs. I like it when it's less straightforward than that.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol, ics have a 1 player advantage but each ic is like only .6 so only a 20% advantage

karn, do ppl really use rest set up that much as jiggs? i thought the metagame was centered primarily on aerials and rarely is the rest given much thought unless specific situations come up. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom