• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last duke biweekly! Online prereg! $20 venue $0 entry|m2k, armada, pp, ally attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
In other news, I just watched a few videos of myself and learned/thought of some **** stuff.

Edit: I agree Lucas.
this sentiment is why we should start recording [more] tourney videos. I havent been able to critique any of my tourney matches since march last year. MARCH! usually i have to think about why i died each stock and hope that my quick conclusion was right as i delve into the next one.

CrystalNite's Regiment for the Improvement of NC as a Whole for Legitimacy to be Observed (some day) by the Entire SWF Community:

Point #1: Record matches starting from the Quarter's of each bracket and upload them promptly (as in within 3 days of the event).

How? idk, just ask sleepy, toasty, or hmw how they do that ****. commentary isnt required of course

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I would record tournament matches if the A/V cords that connected to my camera didn't ****ing break.

null55

Smash Master
is this **** gonna be big enough for pools?

and stop wasting your energies on opposing the CF side tourney. no one really cares about it, so it probably won't be happening. i mean, i wouldn't be entering -_-;;

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I'm with Cam and PP on the falcon tournament. its a waste of time and energy, especially since the majority of people would rather have friendlies than deal with a small tournament.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
is this **** gonna be big enough for pools?

and stop wasting your energies on opposing the CF side tourney. no one really cares about it, so it probably won't be happening. i mean, i wouldn't be entering -_-;;
i would be for the lulz.

and it SHOULD happen, wtf!?!?

null55

Smash Master
well, it depends on the reaction. so far it's been negative.

i don't mind the proposition, but i'm not PP or anything (currently ranked #2 in the world at Falcon dittos), so i'd just get knocked out quick anyway. i gotta work on that match-up...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Why SHOULD it happen?

Pools would be a better use of time(for seeding/moneys worth). It would probably be quicker too, which means more time for friendlies.

@Theo: did you record at the last Duke? If so, I have your matches. Hopefully I'll upload starting today/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday. Shouldn't be later than Friday.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i never really said any details, but im thinking that we can do it for fun. maybe a small prize via free entry. we shall see

null55

Smash Master
Lol this isn't politics. It's smash brothers and tournament organizing.
lol i thought you were talking about the gay part. which is why my comeback *****.

look, when there's a problem, we'll fix it. not potential problems, especially if they are laughably arguable. just chill and let the TO do his thang.

null55

Smash Master
there we have it. democracy at work. -_-;;

i approve.

EDIT: TJ, you're not entering? money johns?

DJRome

Smash Hero
I brought that up because it has become a recent trend to contend every game decision a TO makes and I'd rather have ordinary tournament discussion than.....

I'm tired and I have classes. Forget it.
That didn't even make any sense.
irony ftw

and if guys don't want to enter, we won't force you, i promise
i have plenty of setups.

and ace, let's limit opinions to those who come ;)

null55

Smash Master
ugh. here we go.

*opens microwave*

EDIT: lolllll get ****ed Ace. actually nvm, i'm sorry for your situation.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol aight DJ. I'm gonna try to come to something before HERB. Just picked up a lot more hours at work so we'll see. I can't wait to plant a Ganon stomp on the forehead of your sheik.

DJRome

Smash Hero
uh oh. no but srsly, i can't wait for friendlies with you. i must learn the ways of ganon in earnest

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Getting a taste of your own medicine, DJ? I'm sure it's bitter.

I have been fine with the fact Duke tournaments were bi-weeklies.....UNTIL I found out that it made east NC players lazy(or should I say, lazier) about traveling to West NC(why go to Stongers' tournament when there's a Duke next weekend!!!!, it's not like he hosts every once in a while or anything).

I am fine with side events.....EXCEPT we did one last Duke and that one had been hyped up+AGREED UPON by virtually everyone in NC. This Falcon-only tournament does nothing but steal setups from those who want to play friendlies. You don't even have NC's backing on this one.

NOW, LET ME QUALIFY THIS BEFORE YOU GET ALL PISSY:

You, as a TO, can make whateeeeever kinds of calls you want to about your tournaments. However, a GOOD TO would make calls that reflect what the MAJORITY of your tourney-goers are interested in. If NC wanted to lose time for friendlies, accurate seeding(if we wanted to do pools), and their money's worth in exchange for a tournament where the only character you could pick was Captain Falcon, then flippin do it!

The thing is, YOU DON'T HAVE THAT SUPPORT ON THIS ONE. Do I really need to explain further?

....probably.

Now, let's say that you did a few bi-weeklies, and THEN had a side falcon-only tournament. I think that there would be a smaller chance of disagreement among NC in general and things would run more smoothly. Even if you were to wait a while to do a different side event after this tournament, it doesn't change the fact that you're doing two of them in a row.

"Plenty of setups?" Get out of here with that one. There are always SEVERAL people standing around at EVERY bi-weekly because there is a lack of setups.

I can say that I have probably earned the response you gave me based on what I usually say to you when you say....DJ things, but I am trying to maturely work this issue out now for the sake of NC smash.

^this probably sounds over-the-top when discussing a side event at a bi-weekly, but it's more than that. If we always let DJ do what he wants then he could wind up doing things that none of us could agree with, but would support with our attendance out of habit.

The bigger issue to me is the one concerning what these should actually be. Bi-weeklies or something less frequent. Originally, I wanted these tourneys to be bi-weeklies so that NC would get more experience, but it seems like we **** at organizing fests among ourselves whenever a tournament isn't announced for a weekend, so that issue no longer worries me. Also, as I previously said, bi-weeklies hurt the drive to host tournaments for every other TO because people in the area of the bi-weeklies can afford to wait for the next bi-weekly without traveling. It makes things even worse when the bi-weekly is well-established in the scene and people feel like they will be missing out if they don't go. With Billfests gone, Duke Bi-weeklies are the only form of consistent tournaments we have now.

Speaking of Billfests, there is never hype for NC-only tournaments anymore. Why do you suppose that is? It's because the nature of bi-weeklies gives them no hype: they are hosted often, so the significance of them is greatly reduced. If Duke became a monthly, then suddenly people would get hyped for it as they would not have other Dukes to dilute it's prestige.

Well, I feel like I'm getting a "typing in circles" aura going on now, so I'll leave things at that. DJ, as a prominent NC TO, it is your duty to use your best judgment to ensure that these tournaments do the most for NC and your reputation as a TO. Whatever you may feel about this situation, I hope you read my argument carefully and explain to me why you feel the way you do about each issue I have outlined afterward.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Getting a taste of your own medicine, DJ? I'm sure it's bitter.

I have been fine with the fact Duke tournaments were bi-weeklies.....UNTIL I found out that it made east NC players lazy(or should I say, lazier) about traveling to West NC(why go to Stongers' tournament when there's a Duke next weekend!!!!, it's not like he hosts every once in a while or anything).

I am fine with side events.....EXCEPT we did one last Duke and that one had been hyped up+AGREED UPON by virtually everyone in NC. This Falcon-only tournament does nothing but steal setups from those who want to play friendlies. You don't even have NC's backing on this one.

NOW, LET ME QUALIFY THIS BEFORE YOU GET ALL PISSY:

You, as a TO, can make whateeeeever kinds of calls you want to about your tournaments. However, a GOOD TO would make calls that reflect what the MAJORITY of your tourney-goers are interested in. If NC wanted to lose time for friendlies, accurate seeding(if we wanted to do pools), and their money's worth in exchange for a tournament where the only character you could pick was Captain Falcon, then flippin do it!

The thing is, YOU DON'T HAVE THAT SUPPORT ON THIS ONE. Do I really need to explain further?

....probably.

Now, let's say that you did a few bi-weeklies, and THEN had a side falcon-only tournament. I think that there would be a smaller chance of disagreement among NC in general and things would run more smoothly. Even if you were to wait a while to do a different side event after this tournament, it doesn't change the fact that you're doing two of them in a row.

"Plenty of setups?" Get out of here with that one. There are always SEVERAL people standing around at EVERY bi-weekly because there is a lack of setups.

I can say that I have probably earned the response you gave me based on what I usually say to you when you say....DJ things, but I am trying to maturely work this issue out now for the sake of NC smash.

^this probably sounds over-the-top when discussing a side event at a bi-weekly, but it's more than that. If we always let DJ do what he wants then he could wind up doing things that none of us could agree with, but would support with our attendance out of habit.

The bigger issue to me is the one concerning what these should actually be. Bi-weeklies or something less frequent. Originally, I wanted these tourneys to be bi-weeklies so that NC would get more experience, but it seems like we **** at organizing fests among ourselves whenever a tournament isn't announced for a weekend, so that issue no longer worries me. Also, as I previously said, bi-weeklies hurt the drive to host tournaments for every other TO because people in the area of the bi-weeklies can afford to wait for the next bi-weekly without traveling. It makes things even worse when the bi-weekly is well-established in the scene and people feel like they will be missing out if they don't go. With Billfests gone, Duke Bi-weeklies are the only form of consistent tournaments we have now.

Speaking of Billfests, there is never hype for NC-only tournaments anymore. Why do you suppose that is? It's because the nature of bi-weeklies gives them no hype: they are hosted often, so the significance of them is greatly reduced. If Duke became a monthly, then suddenly people would get hyped for it as they would not have other Dukes to dilute it's prestige.

Well, I feel like I'm getting a "typing in circles" aura going on now, so I'll leave things at that. DJ, as a prominent NC TO, it is your duty to use your best judgment to ensure that these tournaments do the most for NC and your reputation as a TO. Whatever you may feel about this situation, I hope you read my argument carefully and explain to me why you feel the way you do about each issue I have outlined afterward.
host your own tournies, provide a viable solution, or gtfo

about setups: people should bring setups or risk "standing around"

about falcon side-tourney: the one at pound took up one setup and was for the lulz. play your friendlies, and play your tournament match when it's called. simple, no? i dont see why this was made such a big deal of. if people dont like it, fine w/e. just shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I provided a solution. I suggested turning the bi-weeklies into monthlies, and doing side events less frequently/doing pools instead.

About setups: there's nowhere else to plug them in/stand them. DJ himself said he had enough in the first place.

Pound was a 3-day tournament with more down time.

Theo, since you aren't a TO, it doesn't really concern you whether I make a big deal of it or not. I'm not even being difficult to communicate with or rude with my suggestions. If you want me to be quiet, then I suggest you get DJ and let me discuss it with him so this gets over with faster.

null55

Smash Master
lack of motivation jons.
That's not a jon though. That's a personal problem.
stick with it son. enter and keep going. that's my only advice.

and about that hype stuff, idk about everyone else, but i get pretty anxious/excited about every tournament. idc if people aren't like "OH **** IT'S X DAYS AWAY *****ES!!!!!!" ... if i know i'm going, i'm not really expressing much, usually cause i'm a tad serious when it comes to tourneys.

the one thing that makes me "hype" is who's going. so i just hope to see **** from Slasher to Boss Hog to PP to l0zr at these events, and when i know i'm gonna see a large amount of NCers (especially those i rarely see) i'm hype.

frequency is only a good thing to me, iow. (at least the current one, lol)

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol i guess i will view post this time.

i have enough setups provided people bring them like i expect. like it's not hard to bring 2 setups. we have 2 rooms and can easily accommodate 10 setups.

kevin, im sure it's nice to think about all of these ideas, but i'd like to say something before i go back to ignoring your posts.

i am a good to. i contribute to nc smash. i have gone to every tournament in nc since the beginning of the year. that includes rom and pound. the only one i missed was asheboro since i was in ga. all without a car. i attended likely the most fests, prolly around 8-10, and i frequently hosted them. i provide 4 setups at biweeklies, something no to has done for any tournament in nc.

i do everything myself. i take time out to direct people to parking, order them food, get them drinks and pretty much run the show. and i sacrifice my time for friendlies. i have not had a free weekend pretty much since september where i didn't dedicate my time to smash. i put up 1200 dollars for rooms at pound.

i don't care who you state, but no one has provided such dedication to nc smash in the past months.

i know you're really good at smash, but just don't even act like you know what's going on in terms of tournaments. the logistics are something that you have no idea how to handle and quite frankly, i will continue to run them as i please. and i have no problem treating you just as i would any other smasher in the state, id est equally.

i schedule my biweeklies around other tournaments, and i give ample consideration to other tos should they feel they need a tournament.

the bottom line is that on weeks where there are no other tournaments, i will likely host if my workload permits, sometimes even when it doesn't. and i do not really care about the turnout. for instance, i woke up early and provided tvs for the last duke which did not bear any fruit. i woke up early in my weekend, and i waited anyways. because i am here to support any smasher who wishes to play.

with that said, everyone is welcome to these biweeklies as they see fit. if you want to save money for a larger tournament, don't come to these. budgeting is something people have the ability to do on their own and i do not see a reason to limit some people for the sake of others when they have the ability to do so on their own.

and don't ***** at me about not wanting to shell out money or time. i don't have a car. and i don't make money at these tournaments or otherwise.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooookay

I said myself you were a prominent TO. The only one that can really rival you is Vilt, due to the size of his tournaments. You obviously put in tons more work though. For that, I am thankful.

See, this high and mighty part of TO'ing is something I won't understand. I don't want special treatment, and I don't want more respect than other players. What I DO want is decent respect(which you decided to shower onto your own balls instead of my post) and the common courtesy of explanation. I would have been perfectly intent with reasoning for why you do what you do, but that clearly isn't in the royal agenda.

I would actually LOVE for you to defend your fest that you're hosting during Stongers' tournament. Only the TOs with their own best interest at heart-I mean, NC smash's best interest at heart would do that, right?

Feeble argument at the end is a cop-out towards the actual discussion, good shiz.

I am very close to going off on you, DJ. This whole situation could very easily be resolved if you just took a step back and explained to me why you're doing what you are. I am going to be open-minded about whatever it is you say. However, be a **** to me again and you'll taste mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom