• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kowns Thread.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Your name reminds me of WTF BOOM
who's that?

Sorry, I need a brand new controller to please me. I doubt any game shop around here have one.

Order from Japan....

order the japanese oneszz, like 50ft of cable :ooo

Japan's are awsums

I watched a replay of my very first time playing pit which was the very first time touching brawl/smash xD it was pretty wtf haha
like... WTFBOOM? who i still don't know.

aish

Smash Journeyman
I liked my sig OTL once i get a new partnur it'll be remades.

And i'm listed as best pit of canada 8D take that kenny!...even though you don't play no mores OTL though i think you were the only other pit in canada OTL yay empty victory orz

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I still await the day I can travel and show those ppl what Pit can do, and Hai Aishi >.<

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I have a tourney this sunday, a tourney next sunday and a tourney on saturday the week after that one O_o
I'm going Pit only =D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I prefer not to answer that question, for I have been asked that so much.

And Katana's Sig makes me laugh a bit. We needs more Pit pwnage >_<

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Mirror Shield has failed me quite some times, so I havent been using it, and GL trying to prove the Pit v Snake part at the higher ranks of battle.

And That Shark is broken, used steroids, I DQ him!

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
So guys, I have a personal paper I've been working on, and I'd like to see what you guys think:

The key to a strong, competitive video game is a deep meta-game. The meta-game should encompass a large arsenal of techniques to effectively compete in the game. A balance is essential amongst the various techniques and methods used by gamers. There should never be a distinct unbalance in the efficiency and effectiveness of the various techniques.

If the meta-game of a video game is created so it is able to be infinitely progressed in a manner that allows each user to invent his own style or his own unique, effective meta-game, said game would be incredibly successful and popular. By allowing the user to apply himself to the character as more than just a gamer behind a screen, a rich meta-game creates a unique bond between the character and the user. This bond insures that each character is unique and game play is a diverse experience. Because no two people are the same, no two characters are the same, which, by relation, makes no two individual competitions the same. Replayibility is infinite in a game where the user is allowed to apply himself as an artist.

But artists, do not play games, do they? An artist is someone who creates and demonstrates art. That is simple enough to comprehend, but art itself is not. Art, is generally described as a human activity created with the intention of stimulating thought and emotion. Doesn't competition cause the competitors to think? Are emotions not at their peak on the fields of battle? Competing humans tend to analyze whatever the means of competition is and direct their thoughts and attention to discovering new ways of gaining an advantage against others. I believe it is safe to say competition is a form of art, much like painting and drawing.

It is true that wherever people go, other people follow. That is to say, there would be those who would not be so true to themselves and simply mimic what they see others do. But a game with an elegant and sophisticated meta-game would naturally lead a user to developing his or her unique style, even if it has basis on another's style.

So I believe it’s safe to conclude that an open-ended meta-game is the key to an effective competitive game. The problem is creating such a game that allowed for its users to develop in their own unique way. But, by keeping an open-ended meta-game in mind when developing a competitive game, you set yourself one step closer to the goal of creating a successful video game.

Criticize away. Hold no blows.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
It is well said, but you loose your readers. If your topic is on competitive games, explain what a competitive game is. What is meta game? Give an intro on reasons for your topic such as, many fighters are failing or succeeding because...etc.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
It is well said, but you loose your readers. If your topic is on competitive games, explain what a competitive game is. What is meta game? Give an intro on reasons for your topic such as, many fighters are failing or succeeding because...etc.
Thank you very much. This is a very rough entry, mostly in an attempt to establish what I'm trying study/learn/explore.

I'm now stepping into actual game design with realistic goals and I just want a better understanding of how people actually adapt to gaming; how they develop individual styles and make an effective meta-game.

I'm having a real hard time understanding meta-game, since it's something not to many scientists have actually looked into. I feel it's more psychological than anything at all, but definitely has a lot of social influences.

edit: For real, I'm having a hard time finding a good way to describe Meta-game. In the simplest terms I would say it is just how a game is played, but I see it described so many different ways.

aish

Smash Journeyman
Well if you're going into game design your paper should be the general goal of a video game instead of just a vs game since when you do get into the industry you may make all kinds of games. To be literal I am an artist and i play games 8D -but technically ANYTHING can be considered 'art', so I feel an artist or art should be put into there, just doesn't fit imo. That 4th paragraph seems to not fit in too

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Well, the paper is a personal one, and it's exploratory, so it's probably really going to be about all types of gaming. I do believe you are right, meta-game does slightly affects single player, though I'm really writing this on the way gamers approach succeeding in video games, and most single player games don't provide a challenge enough for the possibility of a rich meta-game.

I don't understand what you mean about the artist and art not fitting.

And yeah, that last paragraph is kind of a note to myself, it really doesn't fit. Good call. I think I meant it as sort of closing thoughts.

Top Bottom