• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

MattX20

Smash Hero

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, to kill some boredom, what do you guys think the earliest date will be when they reveal FP9? My current guess is March 10th
I'd personally say February 22nd myself. It'd be about 2 months since Sephiroth was released by then, and while yes, amiibo theory is still around, having a late-February reveal seems like a sweet-spot for Nintendo right now.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, to kill some boredom, what do you guys think the earliest date will be when they reveal FP9? My current guess is March 10th
Earliest? February 18th, but that is a huge if and only if we end up getting a direct then. Most likely date? Mid March.

In order to keep things related to KOS MOS, if things work out I will be getting Xenosaga III this weekend. Will keep yall posted.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. It's been a while but I see the thread still going and with no better smash speculation going around at the moment (at least in regards to KOS-MOS) I figured I'd share this prediction video about the last 3 DLC characters for this fighter's pass. Spoiler alert: KOS-MOS is one of the characters the video talks about for a Namco rep. https://youtu.be/xEOu9tYu168

Unfortunately, some of his points for his choices are now outdated and I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but it was still nice to see a fellow KOS-MOS supporter let alone one who made a fighter pass prediction video featuring her. He also made a "Evolution of KOS-MOS" video that was really cool. https://youtu.be/6_lCGUJdOFY KOS-MOS has made more Crossovers/appearances than I originally thought! 21 to be exact. Here's to smash being her 22nd :)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hey guys. It's been a while but I see the thread still going and with no better smash speculation going around at the moment (at least in regards to KOS-MOS) I figured I'd share this prediction video about the last 3 DLC characters for this fighter's pass. Spoiler alert: KOS-MOS is one of the characters the video talks about for a Namco rep. https://youtu.be/xEOu9tYu168

Unfortunately, some of his points for his choices are now outdated and I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but it was still nice to see a fellow KOS-MOS supporter let alone one who made a fighter pass prediction video featuring her. He also made a "Evolution of KOS-MOS" video that was really cool. https://youtu.be/6_lCGUJdOFY KOS-MOS has made more Crossovers/appearances than I originally thought! 21 to be exact. Here's to smash being her 22nd :)
Nice to see some additional support

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think whoever is next will have to be of less iconic status since Nintendo likes to reveal the biggest names at E3 and if we are getting a reveal in March than the last 2 will likely be announced at E3. So I think if we are getting a Namco rep, it's going to be next as there is nobody in their catalog that I would say is E3 reveal worthy or hyped. Not to say that they wouldn't be, but through the community's perspective I would say so.

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
I just want the next character announcement already LOL. So many leaks floating around that called Sephiroth and I just want to fact check which ones were real.

I really do think we'll see another East and West reveal for E3. It just seems too perfect not too especially considering this has precedent with Hero and Banjo. This is of course assuming E3 will happen at all mind you. If it's gonna happen via online then we could see the dual reveal.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been thinking this for a while now, but do you guys think the 5chan leak (assuming it's not bogus) was listed in order? this might be reading too in depth but I'm bored LOL. So basically the leak listed these characters after Steve in order: Sephiroth (correct), Crash, Reimu, and KOS-MOS. Do you think the leaker was saying Crash would be CP9, Reimu CP10, and KOS-MOS CP11? Do you guys think KOS-MOS will be the last DLC character? Personally, I'm simultaneously find that incredibly hype and hilarious after all the detractors saying she has no chance XD

I just want the next character announcement already LOL. So many leaks floating around that called Sephiroth and I just want to fact check which ones were real.
Most often, these leaks just put the names they claim to hear rather than the order. KOS-MOS, Lloyd, or Hayabusa could be FP9 for all we know

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Putting the exact order may especially be problematic because the Nintendo Ninjas may be on to that easier

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Most often, these leaks just put the names they claim to hear rather than the order. KOS-MOS, Lloyd, or Hayabusa could be FP9 for all we know
Quoting this since the original post got edited.

5chan is interesting because well, Sephiroth was not a safe guess. In hindsight a lot of people will say it made sense, but at the time, Sephiroth was a huge outside shot. Heck, I made the support thread for him and it was tiny. So I give it a tiny bit of credit for that.

It also helps that, well, the pass logistically makes sense. One last big character, and two smaller ones. I think most people agree the remaining characters are not all going to be huge hype third parties on Crash's level. Really, we are likely to get only one or two "big" third parties. And honestly, Reimu and KOS MOS both make sense to be the small third parties. It also helps that Crash and Reimu have other circumstantial evidence in the Five Year Plan and Doujin leak.

That being said, hype responsibly. Text leaks are wrong most of the time. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. That being said, something in my gut says to keep an eye on this one for a little longer. If one of those three is FP9, then it has more of my serious attention. Right now, slim odds it is real, it is a text leak after all and even ones that get stuff right like this one can fall apart. If it gets another character or two? It has my full attention.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

5chan is interesting because well, Sephiroth was not a safe guess. In hindsight a lot of people will say it made sense, but at the time, Sephiroth was a huge outside shot. Heck, I made the support thread for him and it was tiny. So I give it a tiny bit of credit for that.

It also helps that, well, the pass logistically makes sense. One last big character, and two smaller ones. I think most people agree the remaining characters are not all going to be huge hype third parties on Crash's level. Really, we are likely to get only one or two "big" third parties. And honestly, Reimu and KOS MOS both make sense to be the small third parties. It also helps that Crash and Reimu have other circumstantial evidence in the Five Year Plan and Doujin leak.

That being said, hype responsibly. Text leaks are wrong most of the time. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. That being said, something in my gut says to keep an eye on this one for a little longer. If one of those three is FP9, then it has more of my serious attention. Right now, slim odds it is real, it is a text leak after all and even ones that get stuff right like this one can fall apart. If it gets another character or two? It has my full attention.
I’d say Crash wouldn’t be a solid confirm either way as Crash has been thrown around by insiders a LOT. Reimu or KOS-MOS, however...

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's also why I'm keeping my eyes on not just KOS-MOS, but Crash, Hayabusa, Shantae, Lloyd, Layton, Rayman, and Phoenix. FP9 is going to be the point of no return for speculation as it will undeniably get at least one of the remaining 3 Mii Costumes and that will shape the remaining speculation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, that is why I said if it got one or two characters :p.

Like lets be real, Reimu being FP9 says more for this leak than Crash being FP 9 imo.
I was actually thinking. If E3 and a dual reveal are a thing this year, they might want to repeat the East-West thing Hero and Banjo had going on

at first I was thinking KOS-MOS would be FP9 and Reimu and Crash are dual revealed for that East-West appeal

but... KOS-MOS is also very popular in Japan while still having her games accessible (mostly) worldwide and Reimu only has official English releases of Touhou fan games, not the mainline ones. Maybe Reimu as FP9 could make sense in a sudden standalone presentation?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I shared this on other threads, I don't know if I shared it on this thread, but the 5ch leak can possibly line up with some interesting parallels I've noticed thus far in the DLC:

Piranha Plant and Min Min: The first-party character kicking off the pass. Yes, while Piranha Plant isn't part of FP1 and generally meant to be in the base roster, PP is ultimately still a DLC character, and a first-party much like Min Min.

Joker and Steve: The third-party character from Sakurai-beloved game. Persona 5 was majorly the inspiration for Smash Ultimate's menu design, and Sakurai has brought up time and again how much he loves Minecraft.

Hero and Sephiroth: The uber-popular Square-Enix character. Now before Seph, I was pairing Hero up with Reimu as the Japanese Cultural Megatitans with Geno and Banjo as the heavily-requested third-parties, but after TGA last year, I had to rethink it all. Hero and Sephiroth still share a connection just as strong.

So this is where we transfer to the unrevealed, and where I can find the pairs based on some parallels between those characters.

Banjo & Kazooie and Crash: The third-party mascot platformer. Honestly, Crash seems to be a no-brainer based on recent leaks. There's just too much going for Crash to not be the next fighter.

(Alternative: Banjo & Kazooie and KOS-MOS: The character from a franchise with heavier ties to Nintendo. While Banjo-Kazooie started off as a first-party game before Rareware bought them out, KOS-MOS is, by technicality, the reverse, with Xenosaga's developers, Monolithsoft, being bought by Nintendo and becoming a first-party studio for Nintendo. Yes, KOS-MOS is owned by Namco, but the fact still stands.)

Terry and Reimu: Character from a franchise important to Sakurai's gaming career. Fatal Fury and King of Fighters was a major inspiration to Smash what with a majority of mechanics being implemented into Smash. And while Touhou was most certainly not the one to do it, shoot-em-ups were what brought Sakurai into game development into the first place. Hell, a majority of the credits reels in Smash are rail-shooters or SHMUP minigames!

Byleth and KOS-MOS: It might seem like heresy to put KOS-MOS as the absolute final character in FP2, but honestly, this was the only slot remaining. I don't really have much of a parallel between those two, but with the KOS-MOS craze during the TGA 2019 stuff, it'd be a little ironic and hilarious for KOS-MOS to be the final release character with Byleth.

I will say this: this is not concrete. There'd probably be another character that throws this entire "parallel" thing out the window, with the next few characters not having anything to do with any of the remaining FP1 characters. I just noticed this and thought to throw it out there.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I shared this on other threads, I don't know if I shared it on this thread, but the 5ch leak can possibly line up with some interesting parallels I've noticed thus far in the DLC:

Piranha Plant and Min Min: The first-party character kicking off the pass. Yes, while Piranha Plant isn't part of FP1 and generally meant to be in the base roster, PP is ultimately still a DLC character, and a first-party much like Min Min.

Joker and Steve: The third-party character from Sakurai-beloved game. Persona 5 was majorly the inspiration for Smash Ultimate's menu design, and Sakurai has brought up time and again how much he loves Minecraft.

Hero and Sephiroth: The uber-popular Square-Enix character. Now before Seph, I was pairing Hero up with Reimu as the Japanese Cultural Megatitans with Geno and Banjo as the heavily-requested third-parties, but after TGA last year, I had to rethink it all. Hero and Sephiroth still share a connection just as strong.

So this is where we transfer to the unrevealed, and where I can find the pairs based on some parallels between those characters.

Banjo & Kazooie and Crash: The third-party mascot platformer. Honestly, Crash seems to be a no-brainer based on recent leaks. There's just too much going for Crash to not be the next fighter.

(Alternative: Banjo & Kazooie and KOS-MOS: The character from a franchise with heavier ties to Nintendo. While Banjo-Kazooie started off as a first-party game before Rareware bought them out, KOS-MOS is, by technicality, the reverse, with Xenosaga's developers, Monolithsoft, being bought by Nintendo and becoming a first-party studio for Nintendo. Yes, KOS-MOS is owned by Namco, but the fact still stands.)

Terry and Reimu: Character from a franchise important to Sakurai's gaming career. Fatal Fury and King of Fighters was a major inspiration to Smash what with a majority of mechanics being implemented into Smash. And while Touhou was most certainly not the one to do it, shoot-em-ups were what brought Sakurai into game development into the first place. Hell, a majority of the credits reels in Smash are rail-shooters or SHMUP minigames!

Byleth and KOS-MOS: It might seem like heresy to put KOS-MOS as the absolute final character in FP2, but honestly, this was the only slot remaining. I don't really have much of a parallel between those two, but with the KOS-MOS craze during the TGA 2019 stuff, it'd be a little ironic and hilarious for KOS-MOS to be the final release character with Byleth.

I will say this: this is not concrete. There'd probably be another character that throws this entire "parallel" thing out the window, with the next few characters not having anything to do with any of the remaining FP1 characters. I just noticed this and thought to throw it out there.
Oh wow I did not know that Reimu tidbit, interesting

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I mean, it is not complete heresy to say KOS MOS would be the last slot. I will be honest, it makes sense. Smash tends to not end on a bang, look at :ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf::ultbyleth:. Xenosaga at the end of the day is a pretty small series, at least compared to Touhou and especially Crash Bandicoot. In the context of this pass, I would say that KOS MOS being last...makes sense. Usually it is the smaller stuff that gets saved for the end.

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice

I'm 100% with you on this one. I said mostly the same thing a couple pages ago barring the "One last big character and 2 smaller characters" tidbit (Which I also side with.) Crash and Reimu would not only be a fantastic back-to-back East-West dual reveal, but they also have some circumstantial evidence going for them that has yet to be disproven as of now in the form of the 5-year Activision and Doujin leak. Smash has never really cared about ending DLC with a bang and this is something that can be applied to the base game with Ken and Incineroar. Same thing way back when with Smash 4's Corrin and Bayonetta. What I'm trying to get at is that I wouldn't be surprised if a "disappointing" character like KOS-MOS is last. This thread has been compiling interesting stuff related to KOS-MOS and evidence supporting her chances. For us and the rest of the Xeno community She's obviously a big deal, but for a lot of people, she's considered a niche character from a dead series that is competing with too much competition who has no realistic chance of getting in smash to which we heavily disagree with.

The only reason we keep mentioning the 5chan leak is because it's the only leak that not only called Sephiroth, but also hasn't been disproven yet while also involving KOS-MOS, with strong circumstantial evidence for Crash and Reimu. We are well aware of keeping our expectations in check after The Game Awards.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm 100% with you on this one. I said mostly the same thing a couple pages ago barring the "One last big character and 2 smaller characters" tidbit (Which I also side with.) Crash and Reimu would not only be a fantastic back-to-back East-West dual reveal, but they also have some circumstantial evidence going for them that has yet to be disproven as of now in the form of the 5-year Activision and Doujin leak. Smash has never really cared about ending DLC with a bang and this is something that can be applied to the base game with Ken and Incineroar. Same thing way back when with Smash 4's Corrin and Bayonetta. What I'm trying to get at is that I wouldn't be surprised if a "disappointing" character like KOS-MOS is last. This thread has been compiling interesting stuff related to KOS-MOS and evidence supporting her chances. For us and the rest of the Xeno community She's obviously a big deal, but for a lot of people, she's considered a niche character from a dead series that is competing with too much competition who has no realistic chance of getting in smash to which we heavily disagree with.

The only reason we keep mentioning the 5chan leak is because it's the only leak that not only called Sephiroth, but also hasn't been disproven yet while also involving KOS-MOS, with strong circumstantial evidence for Crash and Reimu. We are well aware of keeping our expectations in check after The Game Awards.
That, and we're only just weeks away at most from finding out who FP9 ultimately is. It'll help focus speculation

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I really do think we'll see another East and West reveal for E3. It just seems too perfect not too especially considering this has precedent with Hero and Banjo. This is of course assuming E3 will happen at all mind you. If it's gonna happen via online then we could see the dual reveal.
Given how COVID ****** up Nintendo's schedule and everything and delayed a lot of stuff, I am betting Steve and Sephiroth were originally planned for E3 last year before COVID cancelled the event. Which might hold ground to the western and eastern characters E3 theory if we get E3 this year since it was intended to have happened twice.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
That, and we're only just weeks away at most from finding out who FP9 ultimately is. It'll help focus speculation
I mean, we had a drought that lasted four months after Min Min. I wouldn't say its out of the question for a drought until E3. We also had a huge drought of waiting for info on Joker.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, we had a drought that lasted four months after Min Min. I wouldn't say its out of the question for a drought until E3. We also had a huge drought of waiting for info on Joker.
Yep. And if you don't count Joker's release and just count his announcement from the VGAs, the wait between Joker and Hero was a 6 month gap.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with Steve and Sephiroth likely originally being planned for E3 before COVID, it begs the question who was originally intended to be the VGAs reveal prior to Sephiroth if we were going to get a reveal there at all in the non COVID timeline? Well, there was rumors back in 2018 that Sephiroth was suppose to have been the VGAs reveal that year and there was rumors back in 2019 that KOS-MOS was suppose to have been reveal that year as well. I'm not saying the KOS-MOS rumors have any credibility, but it looks like the Sephiroth rumors did even though he came 2 years later. Just imagine if the VGAs rumors about KOS-MOS back in 2019 are actually true as well. :awesome:

Last edited:
Top Bottom