• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Playing whilst drunk certainly doesn't help me. Last time i tried it I couldn't focus my eyes (meant to wear glasses but haven't since start of high school) so it was just a blob that was me and a blob that was the opponent and pretty sure my strat was just upb whenever his blur got near mine.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I had a Bowser color question here, but that **** gets old and I know you guys probably hate me because I can't stick to one color. But I'll just use Black or Red depending on how I feel. And Warubiaru is red so i might just go there.

On a more serious note , bowser has grab armor on his klaw right, since even though it's a command grab, it's still a grab? I think the answer to that is yes, i'm not sure but, on what frames does the grab armor occur? I've seen every Bowser keep their stock due to this, and i know it exists through a part of the hitbox

if so, wouldn't it be awesome if we all just timed every single klaw to beat out every physical attack? I know it's impossible but it would be amazing lul

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I think if you grab them at the very end of the animation then you get the grab armor. I find to have success with it more when I use it in the air.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Guys anybody here have access to the frame advantage code for NTSC Brawl and an original NTSC Brawl disk?

Because I'm looking at Bowser's grab releases and Bowser can move on frame 20 and the opponent can move frame 31. What this would mean is Bowser's grab releasing animation isn't 20 frames, but 19. Which makes his advantage 11 frames.

Going frame by frame I've been able to pull off instant dash attacks out of release (ground) and the opponent was unable to shield on time. Same for DownB.

So do I have a defective Brawl on my hands or has the frame data been wrong the entire time?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Thanks. If it turns out to be true I'll have to retest a bunch of the grab release klaws, lol.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Does Up throw count? You get a frame advantage of (9+ their quickest aerial/airdodge length), or 23 if they only try to jump.

That was a bit of a project I had going but gave up on.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
A frame trap's where if someone dodges one attack, another attack's guaranteed to hit if timed right.

So if you try to upair someone and they airdodge, they can't escape a fair. Learned it in a MrEh video and copied it, haha.

I'm not sure if upthrow counts, although I've been playing around with upthrow more.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Uair to Bair. Uair to Nair.

Uair sets up for the frame trap of legends, as long as they air dodge the later part of the move. lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I was wondering if bair would work--I've only pulled off fair.

Do you know off the top of your head (pun absolutely intended) what frame can be considered as the later part of the move?

MrEh

Smash Hero
When Bowser actually swings.

If your opponent dodges the swing with the beginning of their airdodge, it sets up for the frame trap. If they dodge the swing with the later part of their airdodge, you have less time to work with. You just have to know when it will work or when it won't.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if upthrow counts, although I've been playing around with upthrow more.
There are some characters that if you Uthrow them and they don't DI properly, they will be forced to airdodge to not get hit by FAir.

DK for example. DI probably wrecks this though, I haven't tested it yet.

ShadowMancer

Smash Rookie
Could it be...

Hey, I'm a new poster to the smashboards, but I've been using them for quite some time to help me answer questions and learn characters. But I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to! Perhaps all of you fine Bowser players can help me.

I'm a Wolf main and I've noticed that for some reason Wolf's down throw doesn't seem to work as well on Bowser as it does on other characters (i.e. It sends most character sliding across the stage, however Bowser stops right in front of me and punishes me for use of the throw) Could it be that the game designers decided that since Bowser had spikes on his shell that he isn't going to slide on his back? I've not been able to see him slide on his belly, so I don't know if it works like that or not.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm a Wolf main and I've noticed that for some reason Wolf's down throw doesn't seem to work as well on Bowser as it does on other characters (i.e. It sends most character sliding across the stage, however Bowser stops right in front of me and punishes me for use of the throw) Could it be that the game designers decided that since Bowser had spikes on his shell that he isn't going to slide on his back? I've not been able to see him slide on his belly, so I don't know if it works like that or not.
Uh, the bowser player is probably just teching the throw. On Wolf's down throw, every character has the ability to tech:

basically, when a character hits the ground for any reason that isn't a normal landing (via a jump/lag from an aerial), if you it L, R, Z or whatever button you have set to shielding, you can "tech" the landing, and pop-up and do whatever you want.

it's possible to perform on walls as well, and you can save yourself from spikes with it.

basically, the Bowser player is teching the throw--react accordingly, and do whatever you want when you see he techs. if he doesn't tech, just punish his getup options. Bowser's aren't really that good.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, you don't wanna dthrow a Bowser, or else you'll get grabbed or Klawed.

Welcome to the boards!

ShadowMancer

Smash Rookie
Thank you!

I suppose I had forgotten about teching and since it happened so consistently I assumed it was something built in to the game. That's what I get for battling against people who use advanced techniques by second nature, they don't even realize they are doing it. Thanks for all of your help!

B!squick

Smash Master
I hate when I tech TOWARDS my opponent. I'm ALWAYS punished when that happens. D: I've never once had something beneficial happen in all the time I've played this game in that event.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
so i main pit and alt bowser, and i got an mm with a wario coming up and i have some questions, to start, it seems when i ground grab release wario he slides differently then most characters, if they di tward me i could just re-grab but if i have to dash grab it doesnt work, i can regrab other chars fine, but not wario, is there a reson for this or do i suck?
and as booser is there anything i should look out 4 in this match?

edit* another question, on youtube theres a video about bowser having an infinate grab release cg on anyone he can grab regrab by pivot grabing the regrab, does it actually work?

B!squick

Smash Master
It works as long as they don't mash the jump button. In a word: no.

As for Wario, he can be really annoying with his barrage of aerials, but as long as you shield and UpB and watch out for Bite, you should do fine. If you grab him, it should be a stock loss for the Wario, but I have trouble with grab releases against him, too. At least I'm not the only one, lol.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Wario has to be one of the simplest ones to grab release out of...there's so many things you can do to him off of the air and ground releases.

Grabbing him is the problem, but when you do get a grab, you really should have fun. He's at your mercy (if you have any...lol)

The rule is that if they can be GR -> DTilted and legitimately so, they can be GR -> Pivot grab. I can't remember if it needs to be a true pivot or not, but I'm assuming so...

It does work but only on ground releases obviously. I've done it to Metaknight, Falco and Wario. Wario was the easiest.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
When I played Will he actually wanted to kill me for using Klaw so much, lmao.

Best move of all time.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Remember to make it a top priority to not get grabbed yourself, though. His CG is nasty, and I found out the hard way. :dizzy:

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Eh, didn't you have a video out of grab-release->footstool->down-b on a Wario ages ago? Or was he just not doing anything to get out of it? It made me lol so hard.

I hate fighting Wario. All I can tell you is what the others said. Watch out for aerials, be patient with your spacing, and finish with grab-release->Bowser's entire moveset. :awesome:

Just don't get impatient and rush in. It's going to be frustrating to have him at the very edge of your hitbox just to miss. Becareful with fireburst spacing because he'll run your *** over. Keep track of his fart's charge, remember that it doesn't need to be fully charged to kill you.

And again, like everyone else said, Klaw.

Edit: Oh, and my own question.

What's the best wait to survive fresh u-smash from Fox? Out of all the moves, that gives me the most trouble and I feel really scrub for it. I know you need to use perpendicular input and c-stick and stuff according to which direction you fly, but what is the best input and attack to live for Fox U-smash? Fair as usual? Haha, thanks in advance.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, that was against PhantomX. Wario can't get out of GR footstool > Bowser Bomb.

Or footstool > taunt, as MrEh proved.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Edit: Oh, and my own question.

What's the best wait to survive fresh u-smash from Fox? Out of all the moves, that gives me the most trouble and I feel really scrub for it. I know you need to use perpendicular input and c-stick and stuff according to which direction you fly, but what is the best input and attack to live for Fox U-smash? Fair as usual? Haha, thanks in advance.
Well, since Fox's USmash sends you directly up with a lot of force, you'd want to go diagonally, aka to the corners. I would just FAir a lot and pray I don't die to be honest.

At certain percents, I just expect to die from moves like that, lmao.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Until 100% use fastfall FAir, higher than that start using DAir since he won't be able to punish and it makes your hurtbox smaller

About DI: Just DI to the side. I think you go more diagonally if you press the direction Fox is facing when he USmash'd you, but I'm not actually sure.

Top Bottom